Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Imagine if it's just Roger Rabbit but with cameos from versions of heroes from all the different studios, including Corman's FF and sentai Spider-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gavok posted:

I have to imagine the scene of Wanda confronting SWORD was directly inspired by Magneto vs. the police from the first X-Men movie just to setup the Pietro reveal later.

Seems plausible to me!

So many high points this episode, and the best one so far in my opinion. Norm's acting display there kind of stole the show for me, it was really compelling to see that sudden shift of personality in one take, though that's probably a cakewalk for a serious actor to do .

I'm sure they're going to top this and have a barnstorming finale, but holy cow this hit a lot of dramatic high points.

SWORD definitely shouldn't be claiming any moral high ground when they did some freaky disassembling poo poo to a dead Avenger who had a living will that basically boiled down to "don't try to break me down and figure me out, beloved humans!.

I don't think this this show is leading directly into Mutants in the MCU as has been pretty widely speculated (though I would be just fine with that, the sooner I get X-men and other mutants in the MCU the better), but that line from Darcy about recasting Pietro made me really think that Disney's got some drat clever people involved, since I found it really cute to have this type of recasting called out as such within the reality of the Wandavision series. This now seems like the ultimate move to pull whenever you want to do a big or contentious recasting: just set up a really interesting show set in a fake T.V. reality and call it out when you do it, it's so simple!

Infinitum posted:

God imagine if Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness is just the main half of the House of M storyline with Doctor Strange going around restoring all the Heroes memories to fight Wanda

It'd be a hell of a thing if the series doesn't wrap up in a fairly tight bow, and instead leads into a big mess (not Thanos snap level mess, but still quite big) that only a MCU movie can resolve. I wouldn't want them to do that all the time, but it'd be a hell of a thing to do with your first big deal MCU show right out of the gate and it'd be very on brand with how one of the big things that made the MCU a hit with audiences was how interconnected the movies were.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Argue posted:

Imagine if it's just Roger Rabbit but with cameos from versions of heroes from all the different studios, including Corman's FF and sentai Spider-man.

No no no no, don't phunk with my heart.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
By the way, I was fine with Jimmy Woo knowing some Endgame fight details because it makes sense that as part of going along with the Sokovia accords some people who generally get along with formal authorities, like Falcon or War Machine, gave somebody an after-action report breaking down what went down in the crazy fight against the universe's greatest criminal. Maybe the juicier bits like time travel didn't get spread around much, but of course there'd be a bit of a record about how it all went down.

If nothing else, Thor could absolutely have gone to get drunk in a bar after the big fight and spilled lots of details.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“vibranium synthezoid” would be a good band name

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gonz posted:

I’m mildly bummed that we haven’t had this guy as a guest star yet.

Fun fact: that dude is a local actor here in Atlanta and WandaVision is filmed here, so there's a non-0% chance that he might actually show up.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Even knowing it was coming, that stinger at the end... Ooh!
I have to admit, I found the weekly episode quite annoying at first but now... the anticipation, the build-up, rewatching the earlier episodes... this is a delightful way to watch a show like this.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Infinitum posted:

The sequel to Spiderverse, Spidergeddon, had a short manga style story about Japanese Spider-Man that was written by a goon.

Anyways, that episode was wild. Holy crap!

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

god please let us get xmen quicksilver vs wanda set to music like in the xmen movies i will never ask for anything else

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BrianWilly posted:

It's just kind of a weird blip (:v:) for Wanda to be with her boys in one moment, outside of Westfiew in the next moment, and then back looking for the dog as if she hadn't actually gone anywhere. Which would make sense if she hadn't gone anywhere and the Wanda we saw outside the Hex (:allears:) was in fact just a different person.

The speech she gave to the twins, about how you can't reverse death, also doesn't really square with her mindset of just using her powers to do whatever she wants.

Also, Wanda seemed to acknowledge that was in fact controlling everything when speaking to SWORD, but later seemed to suggest to Vision that she's not truly the one in control here. (This point relies on trusting that she's being truthful to Vision, though, which is dubious) (All the same though, I think we can believe she's genuinely surprised to see "Pietro" and that his return was outside of her control)

It would also explain why Wanda even knew Vision was being kept with SWORD in the first place.

Nah, seems unlikely. You're arguing that the woman hanging out with the kids and who had red eyes in the black and white image of that drone camera, is a different person than the one which brought the drone out a few minutes later. I can't see that happening. Wanda may not be in control, but that's more on a mental emotional level. She probably just told the boys something like "Mommy will be right back and we'll look for the dog."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My take is Wanda genuinely believes it when she told the boys the dead can't be revived (Vision being an exception due to being a glorified toaster)...but clearly you can just nab a living counterpart from an alternate universe so maybe we can get funky android comic Sparky in the next ep, which I am all for.

Anyway, loved the ep.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been pretty down on the show so far but that episode was great. Finally the perfect balance of sitcom parody and unnerving realisations I've been craving.

my working theory is that Wanda isn't necessarily creating people from scratch, but pulling them in from other universes.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Really curious as to what the beef with captain marvel is. First in spider-man Talos says to never mention her name again. Now they hint that Rambeau might have issues with her too. So something has happened that we are not aware of yet with her story wise.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That was by far the best episode so far by a huge margin. This was the show I've been hoping for the whole time. Not that it hasn't been good already, but this was firing on all cylinders.

And I genuinely think Wanda was shocked to see re-cast Pietro at the end, so someone else is pulling some strings. Just like Wanda sent Vision to work because he needed a distraction, Wanda and Vision both needed a distraction at the end, and someone provided one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

badjohny posted:

Really curious as to what the beef with captain marvel is.

Probably a combo of
- Allowing Thanos snap to happen in the first place
- Not being there when her Mum died

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Probably a combo of
- Allowing Thanos snap to happen in the first place
- Not being there when her Mum died

And thoughts of Captain Marvel are linked with her mom, who she's barely had time to grieve, so she's trying to power through it and move on.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

badjohny posted:

Really curious as to what the beef with captain marvel is. First in spider-man Talos says to never mention her name again. Now they hint that Rambeau might have issues with her too. So something has happened that we are not aware of yet with her story wise.

Well in Spider man I think it was a jokey "hey you aren't near the hero she is!" thing which was playing on the whole "her and Nick Fury go way back" thing, not sure I'd take it as any sort of actual slight on Carols part. Rambeau though, she might be slightly resentful that it took five years for her to help resolve the snap situation so she missed out on her mother recovering from and then dying of cancer and she might know that's unreasonable but still feel it regardless. Or maybe she found out Carol didn't visit her mum or something.

I bet it's gonna turn out someone "suggested" this to Wanda, like leaked where Vision's body was being kept, basically pushed it into happening and is benefitting in some way, like the anomaly is producing this super powerful cosmic energy that they're harvesting as a byproduct or something. Or maybe just seeing what Wanda can do is the intention, as someone who is known to have been able to gently caress up Thanos, that'd be pretty interesting to some unknown big player if they want to build up a villain or something.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 5, 2021

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Loved Monica whiting out the scan and clearly having mixed feelings about Carol. Genuinely freaked out by the fight and Norm. My theory is that Sparky was always a dead dog -- they found him dirty and without a collar, and when we first see the boys at the sink, the dog is totally under water, which a live dog would not cooperate with without some splashing. When Wanda returns the drone, she takes her attention off the boys, which possibly makes them cease until she comes back, and with Billy not present, the dog reverts to a corpse.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Infinitum posted:

I think it's going to end up being Multiverse shattering more so than "No, more mutants"/House of M, but regardless of what happens people are going to be in for a baaaaaadddd loving time once we get to the "Your kids aren't real" portion of the festivities.

I'm not sure we're ever going to get to that point. Monica is already convinced they're real, and certainly they seem to be self aware of just how hosed up their reality is as well as what's happening with both Wanda (i.e. that she can restore the dead) and Vision (that he is, or was, dead). Plus, between Vision pointing out that there are no other kids in the neighbourhood, and the creepy "for the kids" stuff in episode two, it seems like someone wants Wanda to have kids because they need them but can't get them otherwise or something. So the kids are probably real. Wanda may not realize this though, so we might get her reacting to that even if they turn out to be real.

BurritoJustice posted:

All the SWORD agents were so busy freaking out about Wanda coming out of the dome that they missed her speech about how she doesn't know how it started and she doesn't have control of the majority of the people but she has decided to keep with it. It allows her to have grief as a reason while still being actively malicious.

I think there's reason to doubt that speech, even in the speech itself honestly. She talks about how one person couldn't possibly keep up with everyone's mundane lives, arranging everything down to dentist's visits etc. like she's actually frustrated and overwhelmed by them, and if that part is a cover then there's no reason why the "I don't know how this all started" couldn't be, or even wouldn't be, a cover too.

BrianWilly posted:

It's the mindset that's off to me. If she really was just some grief-stricken madwoman who's shaping reality to her whim, why would she care about whether it's right or wrong to bring back the dog? If it breaks the "rules" of her sitcom reality, why not just rewrite those rules? Why would this specifically overstep any bounds?

I'd imagine it's because the entire point of it all is to have a normal life. If she's going around resurrecting the dead at every turn for kids who can apparently resist her control and seem aware of what's going on, then that will constantly break the facade and render the illusion moot. Plus, while she's wallowing in her own grief and unable to move on herself, she may want her kids to be able to deal with death in a healthier fashion she knows she can't. Cap did the same thing in Endgame. He volunteered at a support group, telling others about how they had to move on, but by his own admission he couldn't do so himself.

Infinitum posted:

"Emissary from Hell" is a great epithet.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah, seems unlikely. You're arguing that the woman hanging out with the kids and who had red eyes in the black and white image of that drone camera, is a different person than the one which brought the drone out a few minutes later. I can't see that happening. Wanda may not be in control, but that's more on a mental emotional level. She probably just told the boys something like "Mommy will be right back and we'll look for the dog."

Well, if the original intention within the comics that someone posted about earlier is right then the boys cease to exist when she isn't thinking about them. Alternately, they may be under enough direct control they can't do anything until she returns to pick up that thread of the sitcom.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

It's the mindset that's off to me. If she really was just some grief-stricken madwoman who's shaping reality to her whim, why would she care about whether it's right or wrong to bring back the dog? If it breaks the "rules" of her sitcom reality, why not just rewrite those rules? Why would this specifically overstep any bounds?

Because she knows she's in the titular "A Very Special Episode" and what's the point of doing the sitcom thing if you're not going to make everyone learn an important lesson?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Because she knows she's in the titular "A Very Special Episode" and what's the point of doing the sitcom thing if you're not going to make everyone learn an important lesson?

It's probably moreso that she's delusional and she doesn't have the power to 'resurrect the dead' because Vision is 100%-totally-still-alive-and-he-never-died-and-I'm-not-reanimating-his-corpse-in-a-constant-body-horror-scenario so why would she have that power? You're crazy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh man this is not going to end well for anyone, and I can't loving wait.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there any reason to think that Aaron Taylor-Johnson wouldn't have returned if asked? Leading to the "recasting"?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there some reason we're still spoiling everything?

and I imagine multiverse things

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Azhais posted:

You could say that anyone who comes in here on the day a new episode aired should expect open spoilers, but I guess it's just being polite for anyone who hasn't realized it's out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Azhais posted:

and I imagine multiverse things

Pretty sure the rule established at the beginning of the season is that we use spoilers for new episodes for the first 72 hours after the episode airs.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I didn't realize how good Olsen and Bettany are as actors until that last five minutes. Goddamn Paul was really acting through some heavy makeup.

I gotta ask, does this fully throw out the internet theory about the next MCU villain being Mephisto? Because a bad guy who can make Faustian bargains for superheroes souls is much more interesting than Kang The Conqueror or whoever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Every time this show cut away to outside the dome it takes a huge nosedive. It's so exposition heavy, and there's a lot of standing in for audience feelings and some terrible dialogue. The military stuff felt like it was written by a poor man's James Cameron. (Though yeah I got a thrill out of the drone standoff, even if the show seems undecided on how dirty it's going to get its hands -- this isn't going to turn into Servant).

The stuff inside the dome was generally much better, and now you've got fractures forming between the cast, more dramatic and dynamic. Paul Bettany's really good in this, though it's obviously Olsen's show here. I'm enjoying the weird three or four levels of performance here -- you've got (deliberately?) terrible moppets doing historical sitcom acting, Olsen and Bettany playing it straight, and Katherine Hanh desperately vamping it up to keep the masquerade going.

Speaking of, did Hanh's character kill that dog? Probably not, as I seriously doubt this show is going to embrace just how hosed up the premise already is without adding in wanton pet murder, but the thought crossed my mind.

I mean, obviously the situation's hosed up, but it's pulling its punches and leaving a lot to the implication. Not super pleased about that, but what can you do. Disney gonna Disneyfy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Hey, 80s fashion sure was a mess, wasn’t it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking of, did Hanh's character kill that dog?

The dog actually features in the comics. Things do not go well for Sparky the Android Dog in The Vision story line where Vision basically... creates his own family.

If we're doing comic call backs it might be:
- fake and stopped breathing once Wanda stopped thinking about it
- one of the kids snapped its neck

You should probably Google Agatha Harkness if you want spoilers about her character

Svensken
May 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

No, more mutants!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Klungar posted:

Is there any reason to think that Aaron Taylor-Johnson wouldn't have returned if asked? Leading to the "recasting"?

Nah, it’s probably for the same reason JK Simmons showed up as JJJ from the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies at the end of Far from Home.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So this was the big thing on the scale of Luke Skywalker? :lol: Ok. Was interesting though.

Evan Peters will be incredible in this I think. At first I thought they got Ian McKellan aged down and THAT would have been on the levels of Luke Skywalker.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Hi, can we talk about how no one in charge seemed to mind that someone who just emerged from a reality anomaly has "weird" blood test results and doesn't show up on an x-ray?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Svensken posted:

Hi, can we talk about how no one in charge seemed to mind that someone who just emerged from a reality anomaly has "weird" blood test results and doesn't show up on an x-ray?

Well so far their sample size is one, and the doc seems to think she just hosed up using the machine, rather than there's something wrong with the patient

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Every time this show cut away to outside the dome it takes a huge nosedive. It's so exposition heavy, and there's a lot of standing in for audience feelings and some terrible dialogue. The military stuff felt like it was written by a poor man's James Cameron. (Though yeah I got a thrill out of the drone standoff, even if the show seems undecided on how dirty it's going to get its hands -- this isn't going to turn into Servant).

The stuff inside the dome was generally much better, and now you've got fractures forming between the cast, more dramatic and dynamic. Paul Bettany's really good in this, though it's obviously Olsen's show here. I'm enjoying the weird three or four levels of performance here -- you've got (deliberately?) terrible moppets doing historical sitcom acting, Olsen and Bettany playing it straight, and Katherine Hanh desperately vamping it up to keep the masquerade going.

Speaking of, did Hanh's character kill that dog? Probably not, as I seriously doubt this show is going to embrace just how hosed up the premise already is without adding in wanton pet murder, but the thought crossed my mind.

I mean, obviously the situation's hosed up, but it's pulling its punches and leaving a lot to the implication. Not super pleased about that, but what can you do. Disney gonna Disneyfy.

Regarding the dog: I was thinking how terrified Agnes must've been assuming she thought the dog died as not part of the "Script."

Also, during the scene in the "real world," Wanda's accent came back slightly, right? I wasn't imagining that?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:kingsley:holy poo poo this whole episode.:kingsley: Elizabeth and Paul are so loving great, they really deserved more screen time in the Marvel movies. I hope their characters get justice in Dr. Strange's movie (that if Vision makes it)

Spaniard leak was 100% correct I guess we still don't know if she really snatched the Quicksilver from another dimension or if it was someone else? ,
At least one of my stupid fan theories was partially correct about her stealing Vision's body. I'm still curious of what happened to make her took that decision and I wouldn't be surprise if it was seeing everyone getting a funeral, getting their goodbyes and finding out Vision was only sent to lab like he was trash

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Simulation883 posted:

Also, during the scene in the "real world," Wanda's accent came back slightly, right? I wasn't imagining that?

you're definitely not imagining that, it was very clear

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Thanks. I haven't seen people mentioning it (Admittedly there's so much to digest from the episode) and the subtitles didn't reference it either, so I thought I was going crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vintersorg posted:

So this was the big thing on the scale of Luke Skywalker? :lol: Ok. Was interesting though.

Evan Peters being cast was already known since before the show even started streaming. It was all over IMDB and etc. They were this show's Ahsoka (We already knew Rosario Dawson was cast, etc.). There's supposedly another cameo they are keeping in absolute secret.