Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

If it means Daffney and Crowbar got to work, then I'm okay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Red posted:

Nepotism in that industry is going to happen. If it means Daffney and Crowbar got to work, then I'm okay with it.

Sure, but they would have been better without David. He didn't add anything. His stalker character was an interesting idea I guess, but anyone else could have done a better job with it and actually been able to work a match.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Did David Flair even want to be a wrestler? Charlotte became a wrestler because she wanted to carry Reid's legacy, what's David's excuse (besides the obvious)?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Did David Flair even want to be a wrestler? Charlotte became a wrestler because she wanted to carry Reid's legacy, what's David's excuse (besides the obvious)?

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've seen it said multiple times that David just wanted to join WCW to be able to spend time with his dad.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I believe he got pushed into it by ric. I think he’s a state trooper now. I’m pretty sure he had no interest in it and just wanted to sleep in his own bed every night.

Growing up as the son of a guy like ric flair you’re either going to follow in his footsteps as hard as possible or do the exact opposite as hard as possible.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

David Flair's overacting was one of the few things to get a response out of me in 99-2000 WCW. The rest of those shows were such a flatline that watching this non-wrestler do what he could in a world that was beyond him was endearing.

Not like he was taking time away from better acts at that point.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

rujasu posted:

Sure, but they would have been better without David. He didn't add anything. His stalker character was an interesting idea I guess, but anyone else could have done a better job with it and actually been able to work a match.

I can't disagree, but I don't think they make it on TV otherwise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

Huh! I was not aware of any of that. That's pretty awesome.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to miss. Glacier was the one dude whose background they weren't going to talk about save unless how it related to training with non-union equivalent ice ninjas or something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

WM 28’s opening match (Sheamus beats Bryan in 13 seconds) didn’t reach that level of disappointment but it was pretty bad.

Reading the thread's reactions to that throughout the night was pretty entertaining though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

David Flair's overacting was one of the few things to get a response out of me in 99-2000 WCW. The rest of those shows were such a flatline that watching this non-wrestler do what he could in a world that was beyond him was endearing.

Not like he was taking time away from better acts at that point.

Yeah the thing about late WCW is the shows were so terrible that you have to scrape for entertainment value wherever you can.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nick Jr. Face posted:

WCW tossed a lot of money at him.

The week after the heart attack angle on Nitro, the Flair boys appeared on TV and David in particular was beaten down by the NWO. WCW thought it would be great to put father and son together for a quick tag match, then WCW, being WCW, decided it to give him a contract.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Glacier...even worked for UWFi which if I knew, I had forgotten until I looked it up.
Glacier bringing this up during his Art of Wrestling interview was my single favorite on-stage moment of Starrcast in Vegas:

Colt: "You worked UWFi? Are you a shooter?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FiguresToyCo/status/1357381836381581312?s=20

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The face is killing me

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Alright, this thread is back on track.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God drat right

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

When the gently caress are they going to make a WCW Jeff Jarrett?!? Four Horsemen or nWo 2000, either works.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was at first not enjoying Ernest Miller, but as the Nitros have gone on he's actually pretty awesome and when he starts jawing at the crowd it gets a laugh.

Contrasted with WWF getting Hardcore Holly to basically do the same thing in 99 and I appreciated The Cat even more. Good god.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Sandman McMahon posted:

When the gently caress are they going to make a WCW Jeff Jarrett?!? Four Horsemen or nWo 2000, either works.

Just get any TNA figure of Jarrett that comes with a lovely guitar and either put weird yellow sunglasses on or paint the chest NWO-black, not like anything else ever changed from WCW Jarrett to TNA Jarrett.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok so I gotta ask, was Swole actually a trained wrestler from the Power Plant/regional scene or literally just Master P's friend he got a job in WCW?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I was at first not enjoying Ernest Miller, but as the Nitros have gone on he's actually pretty awesome and when he starts jawing at the crowd it gets a laugh.

Contrasted with WWF getting Hardcore Holly to basically do the same thing in 99 and I appreciated The Cat even more. Good god.

Cat worked a mic well enough and seemed to have just the right amount of self-awareness to know what he was doing was silly as hell but leaned into it and made it work

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Buy this figure of me, Alex Wright, and find out what the Germans are all about!"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok so I gotta ask, was Swole actually a trained wrestler from the Power Plant/regional scene or literally just Master P's friend he got a job in WCW?

He wasn't trained in the power plant as far as I know.

He worked a little bit in Japan in 1991 and cagematch says that Brad Rheingans trained him way back when.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=3719

So basically, it looks like he trained in 90-91worked two matches in Japan in 91 and then did nothing until coming to WCW in 99.

edit: missed the important bit of info here. Swoll/Randy Thornton is Master P's cousin.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Timely, I just saw this as well:

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1357386196226351105

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

He was very instrumental to the deal getting put together and he made WCW think he had way more of a wrestling career than he actually did. All time legend.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like The Cat was alright as a lower-midcard comedy guy with a fair bit of charisma and minimal time on the mic, but then someone had the bright idea to make him commissioner and to feature him prominently every week. That was... not quite so good.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 5, 2021

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
How can anyone not think this guy looks cool as gently caress?!?

If you listen to all of JJ's entrance themes back to back, you'll die midway through Planet Jarrett. I started to lose my hold on reality when this one hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7xS3uPwlM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

He was very instrumental to the deal getting put together and he made WCW think he had way more of a wrestling career than he actually did. All time legend.

I love that Master P's posse was getting something like $50K per appearance on TV. Great work if you can get it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tato posted:

the worst
This is disgusting. You are disgusting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I love that Master P's posse was getting something like $50K per appearance on TV. Great work if you can get it.

The Nitro book was hugely overrated but the chapter on Master P and Swole was excellent. Or at least very entertaining, given the quality of the rest of the book I might have reason to doubt it was properly researched but it was entertaining enough that I will take it as gospel.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

his name was Swoll. get it right or pay the price

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is the greatest page.

Except for all the Jarrett bullshit.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Jeff Jarrett is a land of contrasts.

He sucked but this theme always tickles some part of my brain and I grin like an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0aNgm43Kww

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Even a glimpse of a small portion of that singlet is a crime and should be prosecuted as such. You are disgusting.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Even a glimpse of a small portion of that singlet is a crime and should be prosecuted as such. You are disgusting.

I'm still convinced that outfit is a rib that got out of hand.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I like that the entire reason behind the Aztec Warrior design seemed to be "Hey! His initials are J.J! You can put the J's back to back!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osaxR-Dj_oU

It was so cool he kept it going in his shorts for the rest of his career.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tato posted:

How can anyone not think this guy looks cool as gently caress?!?

If you listen to all of JJ's entrance themes back to back, you'll die midway through Planet Jarrett. I started to lose my hold on reality when this one hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7xS3uPwlM

Once he ditched trying to sing, the guitar didn't make sense to carry. The hunting glasses or whatever never made sense, either. Jeff Jarrett is like the Cobra of wrestling gimmicks - they just kept giving him more and different poo poo to set him apart, except no one really cared, and it didn't work. (Cobra's Stallone had an old timey car, chewed a matchstick, a super gun, reflective sunglasses, and on and on).

Then again, HHH never really had a reason for carrying a sledge, so maybe I should give up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tato posted:

It was so cool he kept it going in his shorts for the rest of his career.

He did what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm still convinced that outfit is a rib that got out of hand.
So is that career