Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think I've asked this before, but I can't find my post about it.

For XCOM2, was there any other 'mandatory' DLC besides War of the Chosen? Or any 'not mandatory but really recommended' ones I guess?

Alien Hunters is the only one I don't play with anymore. It introduced the idea of there being some big bad alien bosses running around, but WOTC does that same thing in a much better, less annoying way so AH feels redundant at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I am having the hardest time getting into Rimworld. 20 hours worth over the last 6 months and every chance I give it I'm just... eh. Dwarf Fortress is much more fun and I don't know why.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

I am having the hardest time getting into Rimworld. 20 hours worth over the last 6 months and every chance I give it I'm just... eh. Dwarf Fortress is much more fun and I don't know why.

I have similarly bounced off it several dozen times over the years despite generally loving colony and city stuff and I also don't really have any answer why. Just doesn't hit my brain quite like some other games in the genre do, it happens.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dwarf Fortress will be coming out on Steam at some point so that's exciting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zesty posted:

Dwarf Fortress will be coming out on Steam at some point so that's exciting.

As someone who has played a shitton of Rimworld but never touched DF I'm very much looking forward to this release.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I should go looking for people who are mad about the purity of DF being ruined by a mouse interface. I'm sure they exist and are a hoot.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Oh, is it Opus Magnum time again? It's a pretty fun game. Some solution spoilers below to mesmerize you. I could watch Alchemical Jewel forever...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Crowbat came back, with a Cyberpunk 2077 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyoJ7onNrg

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

As someone who has played a shitton of Rimworld but never touched DF I'm very much looking forward to this release.

Same. 200-ish hours in Rimworld but anytime I looked at a DF getting started guide I couldn't do it. Seems like the DF Steam interface is pretty Rimworld-ish so might be especially easy to jump in for Rimworld vets

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh speaking of city/colony builders there's a demo for a cute beaver one called Timberborn on Steam right now. Seems like it might potentially suffer from that typical early balance thing of "Everyone starved to death while building the initial setup" but it's cute and I'm always up for more of them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1357509651978350592

:allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Never change, Jeff.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Just finished Metro 2033, at Survival Normal difficulty. Overall game is good, but the gas filters thing very much made the game felt just "mediocre" for me.

I've played the game relatively optimally and unfortunately, the last shop of the game is so much earlier than the ending, so even if you max out everything there (filters/ammo/etc), you'll end up running out of ammo/gas filters at the lategame stages, which for the ammo, is quite acceptable since your literal cash is also ammo.

However, there are multiple places where you can actually get lost while wearing the gas mask (eg. Library), and having that timer over your head means if you've accidentally wasted more time than you're supposed to, or if you're just unlucky in your looting, you'll stonewall yourself and immediately die once filters reached 0.00. Thus causing you to literally repeat certain chapters and "play faster", as per several advices on the internet.

Or you can just do it like me and game the system a little bit, by unmasking until you cough at ~8 sec, then mask up again, then unmasking again for the next 8 secs, repeat. Until you finally found that gas filters loot.

Just a little feelsbad when the whole game actually feels quite good. Admittedly the monster enemies are a little bit of a bullet spongey, but that's OK.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Boomerang X: When I finished this off I thought "yep, that sure was a Devolver game".

I like that I know exactly what you mean without even having seen the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cardiovorax posted:

Never change, Jeff.

Jeff's GDC talks are fantastic. The guy has such a commitment to their niche, and a surprising clarity of understanding and communication in terms of the business side, traits you really don't see too often in indie games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

srulz posted:

Just finished Metro 2033, at Survival Normal difficulty. Overall game is good, but the gas filters thing very much made the game felt just "mediocre" for me.

I've played the game relatively optimally and unfortunately, the last shop of the game is so much earlier than the ending, so even if you max out everything there (filters/ammo/etc), you'll end up running out of ammo/gas filters at the lategame stages, which for the ammo, is quite acceptable since your literal cash is also ammo.

However, there are multiple places where you can actually get lost while wearing the gas mask (eg. Library), and having that timer over your head means if you've accidentally wasted more time than you're supposed to, or if you're just unlucky in your looting, you'll stonewall yourself and immediately die once filters reached 0.00. Thus causing you to literally repeat certain chapters and "play faster", as per several advices on the internet.

Or you can just do it like me and game the system a little bit, by unmasking until you cough at ~8 sec, then mask up again, then unmasking again for the next 8 secs, repeat. Until you finally found that gas filters loot.

Just a little feelsbad when the whole game actually feels quite good. Admittedly the monster enemies are a little bit of a bullet spongey, but that's OK.

Considering how common that issue is I was very surprised they didn’t just add more filters to the Redux version after the final shop.

Thankfully Last Light and Exodus don’t really have a similar issue. As long as you aren’t going unbelievably slow there’s usually enough filters to find in a level even if you come in with very little.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more demo reviews

Ghost on the Shore: walking simulator by the developer of overwhelmingly postive free game Marie's Room. still has some polish to go on it but it's decent. you have a ghost in your head you talk to as you explore abandoned houses and learn about the people that lived on this island. the devs tried to have the dialog feel more organic by having lines overlap, but they were too aggressive with it and the characters sound like they're constantly interrupting each other.

Retro Machina: this one I liked a bit, it's basically melee Bastion with a Metropolis art deco look. the combat though is waaaayy simpler than any Supergiant game, and I didn't like that the character's movement became stiff when attacking (I prefer to be a whirling dervish than attacking in place). So I guess that's my main concern, that the combat will become too repetitive in the full game. You also can possess robots and control them simultaneously either for combat or to solve puzzles. file this one in the 'Potential' category. could be one of those flawed gems in future steam sales.

Lacuna: Cyberpunk noir adventure. Has a little bit of detectiving, a little bit of PDA browsing, and these are things I like. the game starts with a deceptive prologue before switching to the actual plot of the game (although it gets referenced in the main plot portion). it looks nice, and has some poitical intrigue so it could be a neat game.

Minute of Islands: adventure game by the developer of The Inner World. for some reason they've traded in point and clicking for sidescrolling with really bad-feeling platforming. the aesthetic is interesting, with an adventure time styled protagonist but some biopunky environments (just in terms of being organical-mechanical, it's not an actual biopunk game). the gamefeel put me off, but I'm sure it'll be a fine game. just not for me.

Chicory: this demo's been in festivals since the very first one and AFAIK it's been the same demo every time. all the color is gone from the world and you become the new wielder of the magic brush that will paint the color back into it. the demo is mostly very simple puzzling and then an out-of-nowhere-feeling boss fight. the charm and character is going to carry this one a long way.

Lab Rat: Block pusher puzzle game with a GlaDOS esque AI narrator; although instead of being combatative, it's more along the lines of a survey taker, trusting too much in the raw data and confirmation bias. A couple of decent head scratchers in there... I will say that the level sizes are quite small, and I'm not sure if that will change in later chapters.

Beasts of Maravilla Island: 2020 was the year of the photography game and 2021 is lagging a little bit behind with New Pokemon Snap and also this demo. You arrive on a mythical island with unusual flora and fauna (like a toucan with a banana peel exterior-- no this isn't bugsnax-- or a literal jewel beetle). This one was a bit janky, like a lower-budget PS2 title. Will need a bit of polish before I can give it a strong recommendation.

--

for people who don't have a lot of spare time to fly through a bunch of demos, here is the length of the demos I've played so far:

Didn't Finish: Beacon Pines (didn't want to spoil myself), The Frog Prince (too janky), Princess Farmer (liked what I played enough to drop out), Boomerang X (got the gist of it quickly), Minute of Islands (wasn't for me)

Very short: Steel Assault (3-4 minutes), Space Station Sprint (5 minutes), Loveland (10 minutes), Don't Forget Me (8-10 minutes)
Medium: Whisker Squadron (12-15 minutes), Ghost on the Shore (15 minutes), Viscerafest (15-18 minutes), Summertime Madness (20 minutes), Dead Estate (15 minutes)
Long: Escape Simulator (45 minutes), Little Nightmares 2 (25 minutes), Retro Machina (30 minutes), Lacuna (30 minutes), Lab Rat (25-30 minutes), Beasts of Maravilla Island (30 minutes)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 5, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In a split-second scenario with a quickly moving target, being at point-blank range with a rifle is easily 2/3 odds, haven't people seen Surviving Edged Weapons

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Considering how common that issue is I was very surprised they didn’t just add more filters to the Redux version after the final shop.

Thankfully Last Light and Exodus don’t really have a similar issue. As long as you aren’t going unbelievably slow there’s usually enough filters to find in a level even if you come in with very little.

I didn't have those issues but played the game almost exclusively as a stealth game conserving ammo while also stocking up on ammo and filters every chance I could.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

srulz posted:

Are you talking about the original? Because I'm pretty sure that doesn't actually work in Redux (never mind that I never once dropped below 10 minutes worth of filters without ever buying one).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of Metros, LL is up for grabs at the Epic Store

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1357647692005007362

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've not touched dwarf fortress since probably 2015 and i keep just waiting for the steam release.

Honestly should probably jump back in now, i imagine its been tweaked a fair bit in the past 6 (Jesus!) years

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It has, yes. For example, invasions and immigrants no longer appear out of the thin ether but are actually drawn from existing characters that live in the vicinity of where you settle.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

bees x1000 posted:

I have the same problem. Rimworld is easier to control, but I constantly run into situations where I want to build something that Rimworld doesn't support, but Dwarf Fortress does.

Like guard towers, moats, defensive rings and safe rooms, elaborate traps, water supply channels with water flow, artificial waterfalls to decontaminate visitors before they can enter, and so on.

I like playing df with a limited number of dwarves, rarely more than 20. There's just so much more stuff in df that Rimworld feels excessively limited.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

This would be perfectly fine if Firaxis got their poo poo together and finally implemented some form of gun kata like I keep telling them.

More serious:
I really appreciate those posting their demo impressions. Many games have been wishlisted.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 5, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/noescapevg/status/1357607850810474497

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I've ben keeping notes on the demos I've played, this seems like the right place to post them.

LUNARK: A blatant love letter to games like Flashback, only graphically downgraded to chucky pixel characters. The controls are mostly the same, favoring a more methodical expiration that on-the-fly running and gunning. The demo only covers the first mission I guess, a short area with some lock and key puzzles concluding with a boss fight. It seems a little more simplistic than Flashback, not just graphically, since there doesn’t seem to be an inventory. There wasn’t really anything hard about the puzzles, pretty straightforward experience.

Loop Hero: Fun, something I would come back to definitely. Character moves around a loop and encounters random enemies. Battles are resolved automatically and reward the player with new equipment, town upgrade materials, or tiles that can be placed on the loop to influence the character’s stats or the types of enemies that appear on the loop. Looks like there’s a sort of deck building aspect to the types of tiles you can get as well as different characters with different equipment slots.

Narita Boy: Absolutely gorgeous pixel art paired with smooth combat and burdened with an overwrought story beautifully told. There was one puzzle in the demo and it required a little bit of paying attention to the environment, which was frequently spotted with unique touches, but the whole demo was a circuitous exploration of one area to get a sword and some keys. There’s a strange disconnect between the pixel art, which is reminiscent of Sword and Sworcery, and some of the UI images that pop up, but I’m really in awe of the artist’s vision on display here.

Potion Craft: An interesting little puzzle game where you, as a budding alchemist plying their trade, combine ingredients to make potions to sell to needy customers. Each ingredient moves the potion a unique distance and direction along an effects board, with the goal of combining ingredients to move the potion over certain areas where it can pick up effects such as healing or poison. Then you sell those potions to customers based on the description of their problem. It was alright but a little repetitive, even with the ability to bookmark potions you’ve made and make them again for the ingredient cost without doing the puzzle game part.

Steel Assault: An arcady side-scrolling action game that looks like Contra but with a lightning whip as the default weapon. Really felt like there was more to the game that wasn’t being shown off here. There was only one weapon power up, and two meters in the HUD that I didn’t fully understand. Decent artwork, especially with the advertisements within the stage, and I liked the music. Hard to see the platforms and I felt like the zipline mechanic wasn’t really baked all the way.

Space Mavericks: An interplanetary take on a trajectory game like Scorched Earth. Planets have gravity that pulls shots and the gameplay is mainly adjusting power and angle of either a move or an attack. Each time you change those variables the game does a slow “calculating” phase. Not much here, maybe with a lot of polish this could be
something.

Space Wreck: A good idea but too slow and clunky. Explore a derelict space station for fuel from an isometric perspective. RPG stats open up different options and the stage had an early Fallout feel to it. Unfortunately it’s slow and doesn’t offer much in the way of early guidance. A tutorial area may have been helpful. Lots of terminals with too many words that say very little. My character had 9 max HP and the first enemy I found hit me once for 11 damage.

Justice.exe: A lawyer/investigation game not unlike the Ace Attorney series, although done completely through a computer terminal. The player is a new attorney representing sentient AI and gathers statements, witnesses, evidence and compiles arguments to use in court. Kind of a neat idea but there are a lot of systems at play, like how each argument affects a moral scale or how you can object to the defense but if you do so you have to clarify which legal term you are objecting under, with no explanation of the terms. Kind of interesting overall.

Graven: A dark fantasy FPS with light RPG elements. Reminds me a bit of Strife. You have medieval weapons for melee and ranged attacks and a limited array of magical spells that seemed to be more for utility than damage. You can find coins to pay for new equipment or find it in the stage, and it was one huge stage for the whole demo. I’m not sure how best to describe the graphics. They were lightly pixelated but very detailed for a 3D game. Felt like some items were modelled in 3D then rendered at a low resolution, while others were given a retro feel with lower-poly models.

So far the standouts are Loop Hero, Narita Boy and Graven.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks for reminding me about the Graven demo, been meaning to try that one for awhile!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does anyone know whether the Xenonauts 2 demo is the same as the old GOG one?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I haven't played the GOG one but the Steam one is just a tactical mission, no strategic layer.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

canepazzo posted:

I haven't played the GOG one but the Steam one is just a tactical mission, no strategic layer.

Yeah, the GoG one was also just a tactical mission.

As I said, on page 1000.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Thanks for reminding me about the Graven demo, been meaning to try that one for awhile!

I just tried it and the look of it is fantastic and I did not like the actual combat at all, especially since I found what was probably an optional boss before getting any new weapons.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, had to look it up and San Andreas (which is the first GTA to go balls out with the minigames IIRC) is from 2004 while Yakuza came out in 2005. I guess it's a coincidence.

I personally think of it as aping Shenmue, which came out in 1999. I haven't played Shenmue II or III but it looks like based on reviews Yakuza is a better successor.

I picked Kiwami up after putting it down for a year and I'm enjoying it much more. Initially I had started playing it right after 0 and it felt too much like a retread. Though I just finished the Ali Brothers substory and uh... some pretty strong anti-black undertones there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shenmue was always trash. :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yakuza's high-concept is "what if Shenmue was good?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Funky Valentine posted:

Yakuza's high-concept is "what if Shenmue was good?"

Yakuza is Shenmue as much as Gone Home is DOOM.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

steam we need to talk about using algorithms to place demos in categories..

Orv
May 4, 2011
On the bright side that made me look up Almighty: Kill Your Gods which looks like it might be cool.

I think there might be such a thing as having too many demos up at once, discoverability kind of goes to poo poo no matter how good your algorithm is since the demo page shows like 15 games at once.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i actually think this is showing that there aren't enough demos (or lower than valve expected) because it's having to scrape games that don't fit just to fill out the categories

of the 33 games listed in action>first-person, only 16 actually are first person

the top listing for shoot em up/bullet hell is hazel sky which has no bullets or shooting. balan wonderworld is the top listing for "space & flight"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is Stuffed