Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry

sb hermit posted:

good idea, I'll try it out if I ever redo prey

the problem is that the shotgun is my favorite gun in most any game and it's hard to keep ammo around as a result

I think my real problem, now that I think about it, is that I always have to hoard mats for synthesis. And I have an overwhelming need to break down everything. Well, the second time should be easier since I'll know in advance what to stock up on.

There's nothing wrong with carrying dozens of recycler grenades to convert evey office chair I you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe

that was one thing that was fun, getting the lift upgrades, stacking a huge pile of physics objects in the middle of a room and then chucking a recycle grenade in there

Prof. Crocodile

itry posted:

Hmm...

On a 0 to 1 scale, how important are these aspects to you: Action. Puzzles. Soundtrack. Art. Playtime (short - endless). Difficulty/Challenge.

This is 2d/3d/RT/TB/Genre agnostic. You might get anything.

This is an interesting approach. I am only now realizing that I still select video games like a 9 year old looking at box art in Kay Bee Toys.

Action 7
Puzzles 3
Soundtrack 6
Art 9
Playtime - short 7
Difficulty 6

Finger Prince

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This is an interesting approach. I am only now realizing that I still select video games like a 9 year old looking at box art in Kay Bee Toys.

Action 7
Puzzles 3
Soundtrack 6
Art 9
Playtime - short 7
Difficulty 6

I don't follow the whole twitch/streaming scene, but I find them pretty useful to find out if the actual gameplay looks fun. Because if you're just going off screenshots and carefully composed trailers that's mainly just cutscenes, yeah you're right, it's exactly like picking out a toy based on the box art.

itry

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Action 7
Puzzles 3
Soundtrack 6
Art 9
Playtime - short 7
Difficulty 6

roulette wheel spinning sfx

Transistor is an indie Action game. Isometric RTwP.
There's some tactical thinking required in how to approach every "room".
It has great art, and a great soundtrack.
It's a relatively short game (4 to 6 hours), but it has a NG+ mode if you want more.
It has some challenge, and you can manually add to that challenge with some modifiers.

Edit: It also goes on Sale for as low as $3 - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/transistor/info/

itry fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 31, 2021

Prof. Crocodile

itry posted:

roulette wheel spinning sfx

Transistor is an indie Action game. Isometric RTwP.
There's some tactical thinking required in how to approach every "room".
It has great art, and a great soundtrack.
It's a relatively short game (4 to 6 hours), but it has a NG+ mode if you want more.
It has some challenge, and you can manually add to that challenge with some modifiers.

Edit: It also goes on Sale for as low as $3 - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/transistor/info/

that game in fact does look p cool. I have queued it up for purchase in the switch store. Thanks itry!

itry

:tipshat:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

that was one thing that was fun, getting the lift upgrades, stacking a huge pile of physics objects in the middle of a room and then chucking a recycle grenade in there

It's a great way to clear obstructions.

Game's good. Might need to do a replay.

itry fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 1, 2021

axolotl farmer

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I can't stop playing Dark Souls. other games just don't scratch that part of my brain.

I am also not very good at playing Dark Souls games and die all over the place.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
working as intended imo. "gitting gud" at dark souls is just accepting youll die a lot in stupid ways and laughing it off instead of feeling discouraged

axolotl farmer

I never give up skeleton

also I play NetHack sometimes and die all over the place. used to be able to get down to Medusa by I have somehow got worse and mostly die in Minetown from getting stunned and nibbled to death by a Gnome.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i wish someone would exchange goods or services (a ps5) for my currency

vanisher

Sony! Fabricate the big box! Distribute it in a way I can acquire!

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

vanisher posted:

Sony! Fabricate the big box! Distribute it in a way I can acquire!

They made the box too big and that's slowing down distribution. The trucks carrying each one have to have an "oversize load" convoy. Same as my mother in law. :dadjoke:

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Dixville

I don't think!
I got sucked into stardew valley again the last few weeks. I keep starting new files. Here's my quaint little mobile farm summer year 1

Prof. Crocodile

Dixville posted:

I got sucked into stardew valley again the last few weeks. I keep starting new files. Here's my quaint little mobile farm summer year 1

This is a lovely farm, thank you for sharing it.

Stardew Valley is one of those strategy-esque games like animal crossing that I find very soothing watch but very stressful to play, for some reason.

Dixville

I don't think!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This is a lovely farm, thank you for sharing it.

Stardew Valley is one of those strategy-esque games like animal crossing that I find very soothing watch but very stressful to play, for some reason.

There's definitely a pretty overwhelming amount of different stuff you can do. That's why I'm always making new files. I usually don't play past year one on any individual one. I only have a few I've actually made it to year 3 on. Man I've played this game a lot in the past... what, 5 years? Almost?

Prof. Crocodile

Dixville posted:

There's definitely a pretty overwhelming amount of different stuff you can do. That's why I'm always making new files. I usually don't play past year one on any individual one. I only have a few I've actually made it to year 3 on. Man I've played this game a lot in the past... what, 5 years? Almost?

I have a pretty similar deal. So many times I have restarted a Civ game that was going well just because I missed/overshot some particular milestone or date. In December I actually rage-uninstalled Civ 6 just because I was staying up too late playing it.

Prof. Crocodile

Prof. Crocodile posted:

that game in fact does look p cool. I have queued it up for purchase in the switch store. Thanks itry!

Update: I downloaded transistor and it is very cool. Beautifully atmospheric with a very deep combat system and a dystopian narrative that you just kind of get dropped in the middle of.

That having been said, judging games solely on box art got me Chrono Trigger, Eye of the Beholder II, and Deus Ex. Not ready to abandon that system just yet.

Heather Papps

hello friend

the "hey btw the day is almost over" mechanic is either a thing i love, or hate, with no in between.

if the coffee in stardew valley made time pass slowly instead of you moving more quickly i'd like that a lot. my house is a total mess, because wasting a day or more arranging things seems pointless given what i could accomplish otherwise.

i assume that most of us encountered this mechanic first in majoras mask or pikmin: both games where i like the time limit

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Finger Prince

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Update: I downloaded transistor and it is very cool. Beautifully atmospheric with a very deep combat system and a dystopian narrative that you just kind of get dropped in the middle of.

That having been said, judging games solely on box art got me Chrono Trigger, Eye of the Beholder II, and Deus Ex. Not ready to abandon that system just yet.

Oh yeah, transistor was really pretty great.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

tbf transistor has pretty rad box art

Prof. Crocodile

Sally posted:

tbf transistor has pretty rad box art

Ha! It is a perfect system!

itry

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Can't argue with that streak :hmmyes:

sb hermit

Prof. Crocodile posted:

eye of the beholder II for pc-dos?

Prof. Crocodile

sb hermit posted:

eye of the beholder II for pc-dos?

yes. I kinda forgot about the console version to two you the truth.

axolotl farmer

eye of the beholder II was great. got it through my highschool sneakernet and mapped the entire game out on graph paper.

you know that one teleporter puzzle that has a dagger you can't reach? I got a cheat program long after I finished the game, and that dagger is just a regular old dagger that they left there to frustrate everyone mapping out the teleporter puzzle. also the stone ring doesn't teleport you anywhere.

fantastic game, too bad eobIII was a dud.

sb hermit

Prof. Crocodile posted:

yes. I kinda forgot about the console version to two you the truth.

There's a console version?

To be honest, I really confused myself last night because I thought there was an early 2000s remake, but it turns out that it was Pool of Radiance.

I played the original Eye of the Beholder on floppies and it was pretty rad. There's also a Sega CD version of it that actually had voiced cutscenes! It also had wonderful console music.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL50D22D8487A38647

I remember reading the manual for EoB and it apologized for the lack of music. It was pretty quiet in that dungeon, but at least it made it easier to listen for monsters.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm making a habit of getting to Hades thinking "yeah! This setup is great! Totally gonna get him this time!" followed by getting my rear end whooped.

Some runs it feels like I mostly fight him while other times I'm spending most of the fight destroying pots and fighting summoned enemies. I swear, the blast waves that those pots send out give me all kinds of trouble. They're not that difficult to avoid but I still manage to get chipped away by them.

more falafel please

forums poster

Jolo posted:

I'm making a habit of getting to Hades thinking "yeah! This setup is great! Totally gonna get him this time!" followed by getting my rear end whooped.

Some runs it feels like I mostly fight him while other times I'm spending most of the fight destroying pots and fighting summoned enemies. I swear, the blast waves that those pots send out give me all kinds of trouble. They're not that difficult to avoid but I still manage to get chipped away by them.

i like video games the most when I have enough of a health cushion that I can just face-tank it. so usually I like to go into hades with ~200 hp and at least one death defy. a call that does a lot of damage helps a lot too

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Rockman Reserve

yesterday i almost got a ps5 into an online shopping cart four times, but by the time the CAPTCHA resolved it had sold out again

four

times

nut

i finished rd2 in 69 hours and it was v good

vanisher

Rockman Reserve posted:

yesterday i almost got a ps5 into an online shopping cart four times, but by the time the CAPTCHA resolved it had sold out again

four

times

what, you can't click and buy a thing within 1 minute or less?

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

nut posted:

nice

sb hermit

nut posted:

:nice:

Rockman Reserve

vanisher posted:

i freaking could have if the CAPTCHA didn't take 10 whole goshdarn seconds to verify!!!

it was just a checkmark one too, it's not like i was picking out pictures of traffic signals or anything

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

lol nice

FutonForensic

i love the new hyrule warriors game, has the same vibe as pro skater where I can just keep going without getting stressed out or bored. the last one has 100x the content but it just doesn't feel as good to play

Heather Papps

hello friend

vanisher posted:

currently terrified of a future where consoles become prestige items produced in incredibly limited runs at incredibly inflated prices

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

itry

Rockman Reserve posted:

i freaking could have if the CAPTCHA didn't take 10 whole goshdarn seconds to verify!!!

it was just a checkmark one too, it's not like i was picking out pictures of traffic signals or anything

The trick is to have the basket ready to go before you know there's stock available.

(I'm guessing. I don't actually want a PS5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve

can't add it to a basket until the stock is in the system though