Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you so much, could I move it to a trad IRA with a credit union and still pick stocks I am invested in?

It will be a trad IRA rollover account. I think most of use would suggest Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab. Your credit union may or may not have an investment division and it is probably high cost even if they do.

You can pick stocks for sure. just will cost you money and increase your risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

What you're asking here isn't very clear.

If you're wondering whether you should actively trade your retirement accounts, please review the past couple of pages to see the thread's overwhelming consensus opinion on whether you should do that the answer is "absolutely loving not"

If you're asking whether you should cash out your old 401(k) into a non-retirement account, absolutely not, unless you're in a desperate financial situation where you're already eating rice and beans in the dark with the thermostat set at uncomfortable temperatures but still can't cover costs.

If you're asking whether you should roll your old 401(k) into an IRA, maybe, but it depends on a few different factors like whether you want to use a backdoor Roth strategy in the future.

Thank you, sorry. I meant the last one, into an IRA. I forgot to mention the 'I do not want to take direct possession of the funds'.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
In a taxable account that I’m just sticking extra money after maxing out 401k, is there any real difference between choosing between ETFs or mutual funds (specifically vtsax and vti)? I see vti has negligibly lower expense and is a little more flexible to trade but vtsax would be easier to just auto file money away regularly and reinvest dividends? As far as I can tell, that’s basically the only difference and they’re otherwise identical. Its money I won’t need to touch for awhile so I’d like to put to work.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you so much, could I move it to a trad IRA with a credit union and still pick stocks I am invested in?

Others will undoubtably comment on the stock picking aspect of this, but just to note two things
1) Don't do this if you might ever want to do backdoor Roth IRAs. You'll get a tax hit in the conversion.
2) In the unlikely case you get sued or declared bankruptcy, 401ks have stronger legal protection than IRAs.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

It will be a trad IRA rollover account. I think most of use would suggest Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab. Your credit union may or may not have an investment division and it is probably high cost even if they do.

You can pick stocks for sure. just will cost you money and increase your risk.

Thank you, I will look into opening a Vanguard account since they seem cheap and good.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Vlonald Prump posted:

I do (for real) apologize for not realizing y'all are trying to keep the discussion here strictly about 401ks and bonds etc though. I'll stop spamming up your thread now.
I apologize for calling you a dumbshit. I dated someone who gambled for a living (poker, not stocks) for a long while and did very well. While it's possible to make money, it takes a shitton of research and years of learning and tons of time just monitoring stocks if you're stock picking. You are almost certainly better off spending your time doing medicine and just sticking your money in a low cost index fund with a diversified mix of stocks and bonds. Focus on learning about ways to shelter your high income from taxes, that will make you so much more money than picking the right stocks to try and beat the market.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

Others will undoubtably comment on the stock picking aspect of this, but just to note two things
1) Don't do this if you might ever want to do backdoor Roth IRAs. You'll get a tax hit in the conversion.
2) In the unlikely case you get sued or declared bankruptcy, 401ks have stronger legal protection than IRAs.

thank you too

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Vlonald Prump posted:

I posted in this thread because the other thread is full of noise about meme stocks and because I DON'T known how to tell which companies are undervalued and wanted advice about that, and wanted to spark a discussion about taking long-term advantage of the biggest mass vaccination push in human history more generally.

Have you considered the possibility that "taking long-term advantage of the biggest mass vaccination push in human history" caries the same relevance as "noise about meme stocks" when it comes to valuation theory? Whoever posted upthread the analogy about the orange juice was spot on. Seeing as how you only listen to advice if a Real Doctor(Tm) recommends it, go read Bernstein's Four Pillars of Investing (Or any of his other works, Four Pillars might be too entry-level for someone of your vast intellect)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

King of all Machines Operate posted:

In a taxable account that I’m just sticking extra money after maxing out 401k, is there any real difference between choosing between ETFs or mutual funds (specifically vtsax and vti)? I see vti has negligibly lower expense and is a little more flexible to trade but vtsax would be easier to just auto file money away regularly and reinvest dividends? As far as I can tell, that’s basically the only difference and they’re otherwise identical. Its money I won’t need to touch for awhile so I’d like to put to work.
99.9% the same, I'd say just do VTSAX to keep things easy for auto investing everything.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
What’s the implication of putting a majority of my checking account balance into a brokerage account instead? That I cannot use those funds without waiting 1-3 days to transfer back what I need to my checking account? Why do people opt for a high yield savings account over a brokerage account? So they can make emergency withdrawals without waits? Based
on my limited research, the lowest effort path here is to place my money in a vanguard brokerage acct and invest in VFISX

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Herr Tog posted:

Picking stocks as an individual investor with no insider information is gambling. (Picking stocks as an individual investor with insider information is also gambling, but the downside is less "go broke" and more "go to jail")

If you want to play around with stock picking, great, but please don't use the same money that's earmarked for "not eating cat food in old age."

They're very very close to each other.

ETFs are a hair more tax efficient, because you're generally not exposed to taxable capital gains in the underlying fund like you are with a mutual fund investment. But it's typically easier to set up recurring auto-investments with mutual funds, because you don't need to worry about fractional shares, and the tax impact is pretty marginal.

Personally, I like the no-touch convenience that VASGX gives me. My employer direct deposit sends a chunk to Vanguard, then a standing auto-invest sweeps money from my settlement account into the fund twice a month. I could eke out a tiny bit better performance with ETFs, but there's a lot more convenience for not a lot more money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

You are almost entirely correct. VTSAX allows you to automatically contribute on a set-and-forget basis, and VTI does not. Either will allow you to automatically reinvest dividends.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Thom ZombieForm posted:

What’s the implication of putting a majority of my checking account balance into a brokerage account instead? That I cannot use those funds without waiting 1-3 days to transfer back what I need to my checking account? Why do people opt for a high yield savings account over a brokerage account? So they can make emergency withdrawals without waits? Based
on my limited research, the lowest effort path here is to place my money in a vanguard brokerage acct and invest in VFISX

Your checking account won't ever crash 50% in value. Keep your emergency fund separate from your investing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Investing in your career is a real thing. US based doctors have big salaries and very little free time. Passive index funds let you focus on your career (while also being just better long-term), which will get you way more gains than stock market fuckery unless you're already loaded. Your life is already going to be busy enough, don't add financial stress to it

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Some of my friends are trading meme stocks in their IRAs. Is this something that is as horrifying as I think, gambling with irreplaceable tax advantaged space?

I do my gambling in a taxable account as god intended, so I was thrown off to hear them doing this and wanted to confirm that yes, that is a suboptimal strategy relative to my degeneracy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

crazypeltast52 posted:

Some of my friends are trading meme stocks in their IRAs. Is this something that is as horrifying as I think, gambling with irreplaceable tax advantaged space?

Yes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how else you gonna get the Willard Romney 100mil IRA?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had about $3500 sitting in a money market fund with Vanguard that I didn't realize (haven't checked in a long time). It was sitting there doing nothing so yesterday I transferred $1500 to both my VTSAX and VASGX. However, the money market fund (VMMXX) is not open to new investors. So I can't add any money back into it. I can't find it now but there was an option to transfer it to an Admiral Fund(?). You need $3000 minimum to open one though.

Anyone familiar with Vanguard know what an Admiral fund is and if I need it?

Sorry, I don't know anything about long term trading besides throwing it into Vanguard funds and letting them take care of everything for me... which has worked out amazingly so far.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Yes. Everyone should develop a deep aversion to gambling with their 401k or IRA. Once you normalize it, even if it’s only a small portion of it, then you’ve already lost. All it will take is one “bad beat” for you to tilt and blow the rest of the account. Or you get greedy and are swept in some sort of bubble like GME.

It might go well at first but it is very likely to go poorly at some point over a long lifespan.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

laxbro posted:

Yes. Everyone should develop a deep aversion to gambling with their 401k or IRA. Once you normalize it, even if it’s only a small portion of it, then you’ve already lost. All it will take is one “bad beat” for you to tilt and blow the rest of the account. Or you get greedy and are swept in some sort of bubble like GME.

It might go well at first but it is very likely to go poorly at some point over a long lifespan.

It came up in a group chat and I was low key horrified, and then more people said they do it so I am actively horrified now.

Their money to lose, but guh

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Anyone familiar with Vanguard know what an Admiral fund is and if I need it?

Admiral funds have a lower expense ratio in exchange for a minimum amount to invest (used to be $10,000, I think the bar's been lowered to $3,000 in most cases). Once you cross that minimum threshold you can make smaller contributions.

Yes, go for the Admiral version whenever possible.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how else you gonna get the Willard Romney 100mil IRA?

I'm genuinely curious on how the mechanics of the 100mil IRA worked. Does Bain have some sort of special IRA that Mitt gets to use to invest in companies at different valuations than we get to invest in? How do I get in on this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure it was all him buying uber cheap warrants and poo poo that he had access to through Bain's various acquisition and management projects. (it might have been his 401(k), which would have potentially had special products available)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

moana posted:

Your checking account won't ever crash 50% in value. Keep your emergency fund separate from your investing.

Well, you could keep it in a cash fund within the brokerage. You might even be able to get FDIC protection. It would require discipline to keep it there though, and for minimal benefit.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For someone who doesn’t have a 401k (well I did but life and all), and is mostly doing IC or self employment, so no employer contributions, what type of mix of ETFs would people recommend?

I mostly want high potential returns, but some diversity (or defense) to hedge against a general dramatic market decline or say S&P stuff holding Tesla and Elon accidentally blows himself up one day. Also assuming I can put in $50-$100 a month. I know it’s small and I’ll never be able to truly retire (my wife has her own 401k), because that’s the fun of law.

However, I want to keep something even if it’s eventually for a down payment on a house or just a really bad emergency (which is what happened to the old 401k I had over a few years) or something else.

Would perhaps just a general brokerage account be a better vehicle then a 401K (since it might be designed for earlier withdrawals), but treating it like it was a 401K in terms of ETFs vs stocks.

Sorry for all the words and thanks for any advice you all may have.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're self employed you can set up a solo 401(k), I think. You can also withdraw Roth IRA contributions without penalty if you really need to get money out so that's a better emergency vehicle usually than cashing out a 401(k) with penalties.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Space Fish posted:

Admiral funds have a lower expense ratio in exchange for a minimum amount to invest (used to be $10,000, I think the bar's been lowered to $3,000 in most cases). Once you cross that minimum threshold you can make smaller contributions.

Yes, go for the Admiral version whenever possible.

Is this always true though? VTI is a 0.03% expense ratio whereas VTSAX is 0.04%, or is this just a temporary situation as I see the expense ratio is assessed on what seems to be a yearly basis.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

A SEP IRA is another good option, and once you get past that max then a solo 401k is better.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sardonik posted:

Is this always true though? VTI is a 0.03% expense ratio whereas VTSAX is 0.04%, or is this just a temporary situation as I see the expense ratio is assessed on what seems to be a yearly basis.

https://www.tictoclife.com/vtsax-vs-vti/

VTSAX is a mutual fund (price updates and shares sell at end of day; more exclusive to brokerage; can set auto-purchasing and fractional shares)

VTI is an Exchange-Traded Fund (price changes and shares sell instantly; open trading outside of Vanguard; cannot auto-purchase and not always available in fractional shares)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For someone who doesn’t have a 401k (well I did but life and all), and is mostly doing IC or self employment, so no employer contributions, what type of mix of ETFs would people recommend?

I mostly want high potential returns, but some diversity (or defense) to hedge against a general dramatic market decline or say S&P stuff holding Tesla and Elon accidentally blows himself up one day. Also assuming I can put in $50-$100 a month. I know it’s small and I’ll never be able to truly retire (my wife has her own 401k), because that’s the fun of law.

However, I want to keep something even if it’s eventually for a down payment on a house or just a really bad emergency (which is what happened to the old 401k I had over a few years) or something else.

Would perhaps just a general brokerage account be a better vehicle then a 401K (since it might be designed for earlier withdrawals), but treating it like it was a 401K in terms of ETFs vs stocks.

Sorry for all the words and thanks for any advice you all may have.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you might not have a sufficient emergency fund, which should be kept in a non-volatile manner (a savings account, not stock or most ETFs). Six months of expenses should be a minimum.

Assuming you have enough, then the mix of what you hold (and at your low buy-in it'll probably be ETFs, not funds, for a while) will depend on your age until retirement and your risk tolerance. Assuming you're in your 20s but nervous about big market corrections, you might (this is an example and isn't meant to be instructive for you) put 20% of your investment $s in bonds and 80% in stocks

e: forgot the part where you might want this as a downpayment for a house. If so, whatever amount you'd use for a downpayment goes in a savings account if it's near-term; low-volatility bonds if it's a few years out. Otherwise you risk a market correction right before you start looking.

I also challenge you to consider the ways you can economize to save for retirement. BFC has some great threads that go beyond "beans and rice." (Though there are a lot of those too.) Have you and your wife ever sat down and created a budget?

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 6, 2021

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pretty sure it was all him buying uber cheap warrants and poo poo that he had access to through Bain's various acquisition and management projects. (it might have been his 401(k), which would have potentially had special products available)

This article speculates on it, but it seems like he could have stuck his carried interest in his IRA.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/whats-really-going-on-with-mitt-romneys-102-million-ira/261500/

Interestingly enough, as a 73-year old, he is going to be taking RMDs on that now.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Another important distinction between keeping your spare cash in a bank (checking/savings) vs. a brokerage, even in money market accounts, is that your bank account is FDIC insured. If the next big speculation bubble falls and your bank fails as an entity, the government guarantees that up to $250,000 of your money held by them will be returned to you.

If your brokerage fails (as an entity) and they're an SIPC member, up to $250,000 in cash can be returned to you and up to $500,000 in total value. If whatever you're invested in (this includes money markets) crashes, you're out of luck and there's no insurance for that.

If you're not banking with an FDIC bank or investing with an SIPC firm, what are you doing. Stop that.

I always recommend keeping your e-fund and cash you're planning to use in the next five years in a savings account (or CDs if you know your timeline). To me the potential best-case gains over that timeframe are not worth the risk of suddenly losing 30% of your savings, especially since you're most likely to need that money more if the stock market loses 30% of its value.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've never given much thought to the SIPC limits.

Does anyone split up their assets between different brokerages / account types to stay under the 500k SPIC coverage limit? Or is it one of those things that if SIPC insurance comes in to play (especially with big players like Vanguard & Fidelity) things are already pretty turbofucked? Feels like extremely long tail risk mitigation that is probably nothing to sweat over, but any thoughts?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 6, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guinness posted:

I've never given much thought to the SIPC limits.

Does anyone split up their assets between different brokerages / account types to stay under the 500k SPIC coverage limit? Or is it one of those things that if SIPC insurance comes in to play (especially with big players like Vanguard & Fidelity) things are already pretty turbofucked? Feels like extremely long tail risk mitigation that is probably nothing to sweat over, but any thoughts?

The odds of your brokerage going under and your securities being missing is vanishingly low if you're at any of the big firms (Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab. Basically not Robinhood.) I don't worry about it personally. I wouldn't let my cash balances go over the $250k sublimit.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Related to the rollover discussion, once it's rolled over, what should I do with it?

I moved some funds from an old job's 403(b) to Vanguard, since I have a Roth IRA with them and I prefer having everything in one place. Currently, it is sitting in a money market fund account. Should I move it to a new account, like a targeted index fund? I did move some to their ESG Select Stock Fund Investor shares, but haven't done more than that. I've thought about moving some to the Roth, but this year I might actually make enough to get close to maxing out from new income, so I haven't done that yet.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Does anyone have any military specific advice? I’ve been contributing to Roth TSP at 5% and getting the 5% match since the BRS was implemented in ‘18. Plan is to hit 20 years and get that sweet sweet pension but I want to save intelligently. I’ve been pretty good at saving and have a healthy savings account and a couple grand floating around the stock market in a TD Ameritrade account with ETFs. Is there anything glaringly wrong with my plan?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

The odds of your brokerage going under and your securities being missing is vanishingly low if you're at any of the big firms (Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab. Basically not Robinhood.) I don't worry about it personally. I wouldn't let my cash balances go over the $250k sublimit.

And if you're at vanguard:

"To offer greater protection and security, Vanguard Marketing Corporation has secured additional coverage from Syndicates at Lloyd's of London for our brokerage clients. This additional insurance has the same customer eligibility requirements as SIPC. This coverage has an aggregate limit of $250 million for all claims of securities and cash and incorporates a per client coverage limit of $49.5 million for securities and $1.9 million for cash."

This is your regular reminder that you are a customer of any given brokerage, but Vanguard loves you. Maybe not anymore, but they used to.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Why not anymore? I feel pretty loved

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Always better to be an owner than a source of revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vanguard is light years ahead of other folks solely because they’re not expending every effort to gently caress you over. The only other people I can think of that are also not loving you over is Schwab I guess?