Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Seattle passed a similar law (even for the same amount, $4 an hour) and to my knowledge, Kroger hasn't closed any stores here, and there are a lot more than two Kroger stores inside of Seattle (I know of at least five off the top of my head, but it's gotta be more like a dozen).
Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd the Seattle Times is reporting a couple of "Grocery Store Associations" are suing the city over the law.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/grocery-industry-sues-seattle-over-new-4-hazard-pay-law/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In slack we figured out that Kroger makes enough profit to give literally every employee they have a > $4/hr raise.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

In slack we figured out that Kroger makes enough profit to give literally every employee they have a > $4/hr raise.

But... but... but... their margins are so small! They make hardly any money at all! :qq:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

But... but... but... their margins are so small! They make hardly any money at all! :qq:

I'm assuming that's margin after management salary, dividends and reinvestment.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BonHair posted:

I'm assuming that's margin after management salary, dividends and reinvestment.

Didn't Kroger spend like 1.5 billion dollars on stock buybacks last year

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's just sound investments. Completely unrelated, the airlines for some reason need a bailout?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

taqueso posted:

thats probably every fortune 400 company

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Larry Parrish posted:

when i was a pizza guy and not yet a respectable pizza manager i had 10 separate customers argue with me about how i should, in fact, be selling weed with the pizza and its leaving money on the table, and what kind of a loving moron am i for not offering drugs with pizza to strangers.

When I worked at a gas station I knew three different dealers and one of them was a Jimmy John's driver who also delivered weed

Not sure what she or Mo are up to anymore but I saw the third in the paper last year, arrested for grand theft auto and had meth in his sock.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd the Seattle Times is reporting a couple of "Grocery Store Associations" are suing the city over the law.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/grocery-industry-sues-seattle-over-new-4-hazard-pay-law/

Cost to give employees a $4/hr raise: $$$

Cost to close down a bunch of stores, hire a big time corporate law firm to drag this out to the supreme court or w/e, and mount a huge PR campaign to whine about having to give employees a $4/hr raise: $$$$$

Someone please help me budget my company is dying making record profits

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shame Boy posted:

Cost to give employees a $4/hr raise: $$$

Cost to close down a bunch of stores, hire a big time corporate law firm to drag this out to the supreme court or w/e, and mount a huge PR campaign to whine about having to give employees a $4/hr raise: $$$$$

Someone please help me budget my company is dying making record profits

you forgot “cost of allowing employees to think they can vote our money away: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$”

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Buy fewer lobbyists?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonHair posted:

Buy fewer lobbyists?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apple Watch, baby

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1357461867128627202

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

[banging knife and fork on table] lead paint Lead Paint LEAD PAINT

Eeeh close enough

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Next you'll be telling me beloved baby powder manufacturer Johnson & Johnson have been putting asbestos in their talcum for the last quarter century.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

me, an idiot: just mashing up a banana or some peas or whatever babies eat
you, wise, strong, good poster: feeding my infant $6 jars of toxic waste

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jacksyn and the arsenics

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Godamn leftists never satisfied. We found the perfect solution to eliminating our toxic waste and it's just not good enough for you!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Next you'll be telling me beloved baby powder manufacturer Johnson & Johnson have been putting asbestos in their talcum for the last quarter century.

Don't be silly, they don't put asbestos in the talcum, that would be expensive.

They just use the cheapest possible talc that contained it already. And when called on it they stopped selling it!*

*Like two years later, and only in the US and Canada where most of the bad press coverage happened

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

me, an idiot: just mashing up a banana or some peas or whatever babies eat
you, wise, strong, good poster: feeding my infant $6 jars of toxic waste

they need to build up an immunity

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Shame Boy posted:

Don't be silly, they don't put asbestos in the talcum, that would be expensive.

They just use the cheapest possible talc that contained it already.

So what you're saying is that they need to start marketing it as "Now with bonus free absestos!"

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nevada bill would allow tech companies to create governments

quote:

Planned legislation to establish new business areas in Nevada would allow technology companies to effectively form separate local governments.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak announced a plan to launch so-called Innovation Zones in Nevada to jumpstart the state’s economy by attracting technology firms
, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Wednesday.

The zones would permit companies with large areas of land to form governments carrying the same authority as counties, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and courts and provide government services.

The measure to further economic development with the “alternative form of local government” has not yet been introduced in the Legislature.

Sisolak pitched the concept in his State of the State address delivered Jan. 19. The plan would bring in new businesses at the forefront of “groundbreaking technologies” without the use of tax abatements or other publicly funded incentive packages that previously helped Nevada attract companies like Tesla Inc.

Sisolak named Blockchains, LLC as a company that had committed to developing a “smart city” in an area east of Reno after the legislation has passed.

The draft proposal said the traditional local government model is “inadequate alone” to provide the resources to make Nevada a leader in attracting and retaining businesses and fostering economic development in emerging technologies and industries.

The Governor’s Office of Economic Development would oversee applications for the zones, which would be limited to companies working in specific business areas including blockchain, autonomous technology, the Internet of Things, robotics, artificial intelligence, wireless, biometrics and renewable resource technology.

Zone requirements would include applicants owning at least 78 square miles (202 square kilometers) of undeveloped, uninhabited land within a single county but separate from any city, town or tax increment area. Companies would have at least $250 million and plans to invest an additional $1 billion in their zones over 10 years.

The zones would initially operate with the oversight of their location counties, but would eventually take over county duties and become independent governmental bodies.

The zones would have three-member supervisor boards with the same powers as county commissioners. The businesses would maintain significant control over board membership.

The governor’s economic development office did not respond to questions about the zones Wednesday.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Democrats!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
corporate extraterritoriality: not just for shadowrun anymorr!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Innovation Zones

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

without the use of tax abatements or other publicly funded incentive packages that previously helped Nevada attract companies like Tesla Inc.

Y'know giving them judge dredd powers over 78 square miles of land is also a kind of publicly funded incentive package if you think about it, it's just publicly funded with blood instead of money (also probably money)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

shiawase corporation established

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gooncorp when?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

Y'know giving them judge dredd powers over 78 square miles of land is also a kind of publicly funded incentive package if you think about it, it's just publicly funded with blood instead of money (also probably money)

There will be plenty of public funding through state and federal governments before long. Just make rooms for people on disability, old age pensions, and welfare. Replicate the whole private prison thing, but this time for the indigent. The state will be happy to pay to get those undesirables out of the city centers and out of sight.

It doesn't even need to be involuntary. The accommodations are spartan, but they are also new, clean, safe, and vermin free, so more attractive than a lot of poverty housing. Guaranteed to provide the menu plan, accommodations and healthcare your government pension can afford, with no hassle or worry. You are free to leave any time you like. Your accommodations are a company town in the middle of the Nevada desert 200 miles from anything, but you are free to leave any time you like.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carthag Tuek posted:

gooncorp when?

We should finally bring Victory Cities to life.
http://fishmech.info/www.victorycities.com/benefits.html

I love Victory City

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Elman posted:

The zones would permit companies with large areas of land to form governments carrying the same authority as counties, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and courts and provide government services.

Just like counties, but with less of that pesky voting!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Company stores states are back, baby!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Geshtal posted:

Just like counties, but with less of that pesky voting!

You can simply vote by finding a new job and leaving your job, home, school, community. And it is to attract tech companies which are very woke and rich so you know they are good human beings unlike poor scum elsewhere.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
All of this stuff sounds hard, why not piggyback onto an existing society and just bribe lobby the government to change the laws you don't like?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

All of this stuff sounds hard, why not piggyback onto an existing society and just bribe lobby the government to change the laws you don't like?

That's what this is

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

really... how are they not monitoring this already isn't this half of what the FDA does

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Look if we start overregulating we might cost some job creators money, and we can't have that, they create jobs, many jobs, and many people say that if we overregulate just because of some heavy metals we could fail as a country, believe me

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
can't wait for the FDA to wave through nuka cola so I can get cancer superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

it takes time to do that, corporate extraterritoriality won't