Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not a word you would generally use as a verb, when was the last time you said quizzed outside of a news story?

None of the words are technically incorrect but used together they form a particular cant unique to the british press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

That's super interesting, thanks. I was taught in high school that the reason the German invasion of France went so well is that they built the Maginot line, patted themselves on the back, and then were completely blindsided when the Germans just ignored it and invaded through the Netherlands/Belgium. I haven't had any reason to ever apply even the smallest amount of critical thinking to the subject so it's just something that has sat in the back of my brain for over a decade for absolutely no reason, despite it being really really loving stupid. Obviously the French would notice if the Germans invaded Belgium/the Netherlands, and people in the 30s weren't much dumber than they are today, they definitely would have prepared for that.

The Belgians had their own defensive fortifications, not quite as good as the Maginot Line, but still something that would have stopped most armies in their tracks.

Unfortunately someone went and invented the shaped charge and they were taken out in one night by a handful of paratroopers. It was this that panicked the Allies into really throwing everything they had in the way of the diversionary attack, because nobody had expected the Germans to get into Belgium quite so easily, it had been assumed they'd have a week or two of taking potshots at them from the fortress before they'd actually have to fight. It's a pretty classic example of trying to fight the last war, despite the Germans clearly telegraphing in Spain and in Poland that they weren't playing that game any more - the Allies assumed that they were still fighting an army that moved at walking pace.

I've always thought the popular perception of the Battle of France was arse-covering by the British - it's easier to just call the French a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys than face up to the woeful leadership and complete collapse of the BEF - but at the same time the French leadership really didn't help with that perception. As it became clear the Germans had completely wrong-footed them they sacked the general in charge of the defence and replaced him with Weygand, who cancelled the plan for a counterattack that would have probably smashed the Germans who were badly stretched by the rush to Calais, then spent three days in Paris visiting various dignitaries to be congratulated on his promotion, then decided to try a counter-attack against the German line that had had almost a week to reinforce itself. When this failed, there were basically only two divisions between the Germans and Paris, and the French basically had no choice but to surrender.

Two things I will grudgingly concede - the southern French armies fought like bastards in that counterattack, and almost certainly gained enough time for Dunkirk to be evacuated, and the French weren't uniquely blindsided by the Ardennes because the Americans made the *exact same mistake* just 4 years later, completely ignoring the Ardennes and allowing a massive German counteroffensive (which, notably, was eventually turned back using an almost identical counterattack to the one Weyand had cancelled before going off to Paris to swan about a bit).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. The UK probably had a few of those as well, not to mention the 'Actually the nazis are pretty great' crowd, so roughly the same as today as well.

The Daily Mail does indeed still exist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a word you would generally use as a verb, when was the last time you said quizzed outside of a news story?

Pub quiz team names mostly.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bloodly posted:

Hm? I didn't realize 'quiz' was somehow a poor word?

Quiz in the sense of question (transitive verb). As in "top cop quizzed by leftie luvvies over cell romp"

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

That's super interesting, thanks. I was taught in high school that the reason the German invasion of France went so well is that they built the Maginot line, patted themselves on the back, and then were completely blindsided when the Germans just ignored it and invaded through the Netherlands/Belgium. I haven't had any reason to ever apply even the smallest amount of critical thinking to the subject so it's just something that has sat in the back of my brain for over a decade for absolutely no reason, despite it being really really loving stupid. Obviously the French would notice if the Germans invaded Belgium/the Netherlands, and people in the 30s weren't much dumber than they are today, they definitely would have prepared for that.

Rather like the whole 'Cheese eating surrender monkeys/French Always Surrender' thing (based entirely on WW2 when, across European history, the French Army is probably the most successful and non-surrender-y fighting force of all) the 'the Germans just went around the Maginot Line, why didn't they just build it longer LOL' doesn't really look at the strategic view.

The whole strategic aim of France in the 1920s and 30s was to Stop A War Happening On French Soil Ever Again. They weren't really keen on there being another European war at all, but they really didn't want several thousand square miles of France to be shelled into Hell-like desolation again while millions of French men were killed to try and kick out whoever the enemy was (almost certainly the Germans...). So they built the Maginot Line on the French/German border so no attack could come straight from Germany into the heart of France.

It's blindingly obvious that the enemy Germans could just go through The Netherlands and Belgium to go around the Maginot Line (as they did in WW1). The French weren't stupid. The point of the Maginot Line was to ensure that if an attack came, this is exactly what would happen. A series of alliances, agreements and mutual treaty obligations meant that France had military access to Belgian territory, and the French plan depended on Belgium using a series of its own fortifications and deployed forces to set up a defensive line along the Meuse River and the Albert Canal, both well inside Belgian territory and - crucially - well away from French territory. With the Maginot Line being impassable, the majority of the French army could wait in northeast France and the moment any enemies Germans entered Belgium, they would advance to the pre-prepared line on the western bank of the Meuse and block the invasion. Added to this was the stipulation in the Treaty of Versailles that demilitarised the Rhineland - the bit of Germany adjacent to Belgium, thus not only preventing any military build up along the German-Belgium border but also meaning that any movement of German troops westwards would come with enough warning (diplomatic and military) for the Franco-Belgian plan to be swung into operation. If German forces entered the Rhineland - before they'd even properly left Germany itself - the Belgian Army would take up its strong defensive positions on the waterways and the French Army would move east to reinforce them, being in position well before the Germans reached the Meuse.

Unfortunately in 1936 the Germans remilitarised the Rhineland, and the lack of response from France (or anyone else) left Belgium feeling threatened and so King Leopold withdrew from the agreements with France and declared neutrality. This meant that French troops could not enter Belgium until a German invasion had already begun. By the time the French and German forces met, the Germans would be well to the west of the Meuse/Albert Canal lines, leaving the clash to come in the undefended (and not easily defendable) plains of Flanders. And that's a best-case scenario. At worst the Germans march into France before the French Army can properly deploy, leading to a horribly accurate recreation of WW1 but with modern weaponary.

In the even the French Army and the BEF did manage to form a line within Belgium, not France, but to the west of the Meuse between Givet and Anvers. But then the Germans moved their tanks through the Ardennes Forest (disproving another assumption that had been vital to the French strategy - that the Ardennes was a huge bottleneck that was essentially impassable to mechanised forces), clipping the southern end of the French line and slipping between it and the north of the Maginot Line at Sedan. The rest is history.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Josef bugman posted:

It really does feel that for a lot of people in charge teh 90's never stopped. It's just the same old people in charge and refusing to change or grow in any way.

More like the 80s. The wets have been purged or brought to heel, Maastricht is just a piece of paper, and there's more snow inside the front bench's houses than outside.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Always liked this origin story about quiz:

quote:

James Daly was a theatre manager in Dublin in 1782. He once had a bet with a friend that he could introduce a new word into the English language in a day. He then chalked the word "Quiz" on the walls of the city. Daly won the bet, and a useful word came out of it - in terms of vocabulary AND Scrabble.

And always associated 'luvvies' (and user content) with what Kermode and Mayo used to spend 80% of their film show talking about and not about films

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Iirc Stephen Fry likes the term luvvie and uses it for himself and others. And since he's pretty much the dictionary definition, then fair enough. It's definitely tabloid homo-taunting tho

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://youtu.be/Xnh8pLKXJB4

Starmer is "apolitical" and has been calculating his path to the top job for years, according to Sienna Rodgers

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
a political what?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would certainly explain his apparent terror of having to take a political stance on anything other than child annihilation and cop loving.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

None of the words are technically incorrect but used together they form a particular cant unique to the british press.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 5, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sebzilla posted:

https://youtu.be/Xnh8pLKXJB4

Starmer is "apolitical" and has been calculating his path to the top job for years, according to Sienna Rodgers

the amount of absurd prvilege it takes to be LEADER OF A POLITICAL PARTY and consider yourself apolitical

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Belgians had their own defensive fortifications, not quite as good as the Maginot Line, but still something that would have stopped most armies in their tracks.

Unfortunately someone went and invented the shaped charge and they were taken out in one night by a handful of paratroopers. It was this that panicked the Allies into really throwing everything they had in the way of the diversionary attack, because nobody had expected the Germans to get into Belgium quite so easily, it had been assumed they'd have a week or two of taking potshots at them from the fortress before they'd actually have to fight. It's a pretty classic example of trying to fight the last war, despite the Germans clearly telegraphing in Spain and in Poland that they weren't playing that game any more - the Allies assumed that they were still fighting an army that moved at walking pace.

I've always thought the popular perception of the Battle of France was arse-covering by the British - it's easier to just call the French a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys than face up to the woeful leadership and complete collapse of the BEF - but at the same time the French leadership really didn't help with that perception. As it became clear the Germans had completely wrong-footed them they sacked the general in charge of the defence and replaced him with Weygand, who cancelled the plan for a counterattack that would have probably smashed the Germans who were badly stretched by the rush to Calais, then spent three days in Paris visiting various dignitaries to be congratulated on his promotion, then decided to try a counter-attack against the German line that had had almost a week to reinforce itself. When this failed, there were basically only two divisions between the Germans and Paris, and the French basically had no choice but to surrender.

Two things I will grudgingly concede - the southern French armies fought like bastards in that counterattack, and almost certainly gained enough time for Dunkirk to be evacuated, and the French weren't uniquely blindsided by the Ardennes because the Americans made the *exact same mistake* just 4 years later, completely ignoring the Ardennes and allowing a massive German counteroffensive (which, notably, was eventually turned back using an almost identical counterattack to the one Weyand had cancelled before going off to Paris to swan about a bit).

The fort was Eben Emael, only remember that place cause the paratroops landed their little gliders right on top of it.

The French were so worried about their communications being tapped that orders were sent by couriers only, in an age when real time comms were a deal braker.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Reject the fiction that centrist managerialism is apolitical.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah clearly he is political but believing yourself to be apolitical is entirely on brand with aversion to being seen to actively involve yourself in things that don't immediately interest you.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Flattering to Keith to call him apolitical, he's clearly right leaning centrist with just the faint whiff of leftism to keep the party oiks onside. The guy's a less charismatic Tony Blair.

Blair at least had some ideas, terrible blood soaked ideas, but ideas nonetheless.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just what people want, an apolitical QC with so little courage he doesn't even have bad ideas.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Kieth's political beliefs are literally whatever he thinks will make people like him at the time. Hence why no fucker likes him.

Anyone claiming to know what his actual, private beliefs are is clearly beholden to far more information about him than the general public.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

Reject the fiction that centrist managerialism is apolitical.

also that "ideology" is a thing that only left- and right-wingers have

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ok which of you did this?

quote:

Lichcraft is a rules-light tabletop RPG set up to be played with 2 or more players. The play is inspired by Forged in the Dark systems, with a simple D6-pool resolution mechanic. Instead of choosing classes or players, characters begin by choosing their politics, hobby, day job, and magical source, and use attributes from these to add to their dice rolls.

Give this game a try if you like dystopian settings, collaborative world-building and play, magic wielding queer characters, interesting and individualistic ways of spellcasting, and undeath as a metaphor for... something.

Premise

In this game, you play trans characters in dystopian Britain, 50 years in the future. You have been trapped at the bottom of a waiting list for vital gender affirming healthcare. The list is far longer than a mortal human lifespan.

As a result you have decided to pursue lichdom. Over the course of the game you will gather all the components for the ritual necessary to become an undead creature of great arcane power, at which point you may either transform yourselves however you choose, or wait things out in your new immortal bodies- you have all the time in the world.

This is a game about spite, necromancy, being trans, and a 300 year long NHS waiting list. Although the game itself deals with serious themes, it is set up to be tongue-in-cheek, satirical, super queer, and intimate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

tbh I just continue to be blown away by how utterly useless Starmer actually is. When it looked like he'd take the leadership I was annoyed because I'd definitely rather have had Rebecca "Three day week and a four day bender" Bong-Daily and he won, so, fine, the membership has spoken, let's see what he can do. I feared that he'd have bad centrist takes and melt policies, I hoped he'd keep at least a few Corbyn policies that had been particularly popular, what I expected was somewhere in between.

I genuinely didn't expect he would be so thoroughly useless in every single regard. I thought we'd be getting mad at him for not going far enough when he called for the government to do something, or suggesting some shite like "We must protect the NHS and ensure it is fully funded, but Labour also recognizes that there is an important role for private entities to play in delivering healthcare" or whatever. I honestly did not think he was going to just be "Exactly what the government suggests 20 minutes after Downing Street has announced it" on every. single. issue.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Camrath posted:

I am sad to report however that I’m currently not able to ship outside of the UK. I know there are several fudge fans on the mainland, and I’m deeply sorry that our government has hosed up your fudge supply. As soon as I find a solution, I will let you know

Happy fudging, guys and gals

Camrath's plan for land, sea, and air Fudgerunners to smuggle the vital fudge supplies to our friends outside the UK.

[e]:

:lol:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 5, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

sounds like race science to me m8

I mean... yeah? Just because people with calipers have interesting ideas about the inherent superiority of the Nordic Race, doesn't mean that there *aren't* actual genetic differences across populations that tend to track with the geographical origin of your ancestors. Tendency towards sickle-cell anaemia is as much an actual genetic characteristic as melanin production.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

Ok which of you did this?

Yeah it's amazing, I just wish I'd thought of it first.
Though at least link the Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/laurieoconnel/lichcraft-an-rpg-about-trans-necromancers

Rumda fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Re: Starmer, I just read a Marina Hyde article (yeah, I know) where she plausibly argues that, much as we tell our GP that we only drink 14 units a week (then get shitfaced), we tell pollsters that we want bland, managerial, centrist politicians (then go out and vote for energetic politicians who'll do fun, exciting stuff and keep us entertained). Starmer's incessant avoidance of risk bores the electorate to death and he'd honestly do better if he found a few good controversies and leapt into them with his fists swinging.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The papers get to decide if something is a controversy or not. They could start with him insisting on schools being open in a pandemic and then maybe move on to him being OK with undercover cops doing murders and rape.

Or does she mean a real controversy like which genitals get to go in which bathroom

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I have ordered some fudge and I cannot WAIT for it to arrive.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fudge ordered, and I eagerly await the day I can reorder Irish Cream and Whiskey & Ginger, which were so delicious that I did that thing they do in adverts where they put a piece of food in their mouth and just close their eyes and drift into a semi-orgasmic trance.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ms Adequate posted:

tbh I just continue to be blown away by how utterly useless Starmer actually is. When it looked like he'd take the leadership I was annoyed because I'd definitely rather have had Rebecca "Three day week and a four day bender" Bong-Daily and he won, so, fine, the membership has spoken, let's see what he can do. I feared that he'd have bad centrist takes and melt policies, I hoped he'd keep at least a few Corbyn policies that had been particularly popular, what I expected was somewhere in between.

I genuinely didn't expect he would be so thoroughly useless in every single regard. I thought we'd be getting mad at him for not going far enough when he called for the government to do something, or suggesting some shite like "We must protect the NHS and ensure it is fully funded, but Labour also recognizes that there is an important role for private entities to play in delivering healthcare" or whatever. I honestly did not think he was going to just be "Exactly what the government suggests 20 minutes after Downing Street has announced it" on every. single. issue.

I'm not saying Starmer is an op but if you were in MI5 trying to uphold power for the establishment, and Starmer was your man, what would you have him do differently?

I'm struggling to think of anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not be quite so obvious.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

:same:

I thought that, at worst he'd be another Ed Miliband in terms of policy, and that I'd probably end up thinking "It's annoying how far to the right he's gone but before Corbyn I'd probably be all over this platform since I had never known anything better!"

But he's not only worse from a policy perspective (judging from the few times when he has actually stated a position on something) but he's just useless at even playing the political game. Worse than JC, and he wasn't very good at it and had the entire media out to get him.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BalloonFish posted:

:same:

I thought that, at worst he'd be another Ed Miliband in terms of policy, and that I'd probably end up thinking "It's annoying how far to the right he's gone but before Corbyn I'd probably be all over this platform since I had never known anything better!"

But he's not only worse from a policy perspective (judging from the few times when he has actually stated a position on something) but he's just useless at even playing the political game. Worse than JC, and he wasn't very good at it and had the entire media out to get him.

starmer should be deputy head of accounting at bae, or if he must do public service he could be a principal private secretary of some extremely boring department

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1357083184039616515

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

suck my woke dick posted:

starmer should be deputy head of accounting at bae

Well he'll need to win a general election first

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

well it might be ok in the summer but gosh I wouldn't want to blast them in the winter. Brr

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rishi Sunak as Mac from It's always sunny.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean... yeah? Just because people with calipers have interesting ideas about the inherent superiority of the Nordic Race, doesn't mean that there *aren't* actual genetic differences across populations that tend to track with the geographical origin of your ancestors. Tendency towards sickle-cell anaemia is as much an actual genetic characteristic as melanin production.

I had this problem teaching student healthcare staff about putting on tourniquets for limb surgery. Explaining that you need to check for a sickle cell test for people who are not white and be cautious ended up with me sitting in a managers office last month with some one from HR present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the problem with broad 'race' based analyses, you call sickle cell a 'black' condition and you end up misdiagnosing Turks, Greeks, and other non-Africans with it, and wasting time running tests on Zulus who are less likely to have sickle cell than an average person picked from the street in Carmarthen.

Unless you know that the vast majority of your black presenting population is from the Congo or Niger delta region (as it is in Jamaica and the American South for reasons) you're better off asking what language they speak at home than going by skin melanation.