Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm looking for an ARPG with really satisfying combat, but I don't really want to gently caress around with builds too much. I really liked Diablo 3 because each skill you unlocked could be swapped around freely, and your stats were essentially a function of what gear you had on. I like the moment-to-moment parts of ARPGs, like collecting loot and exploding a lot of guys, but I often find myself overwhelmed and disinterested when I see huge skill trees that I have to invest points permanently or semi-permanently into. Are there other ARPGs that have the same focus as Diablo 3? I'm not even that interested in games where respeccing is easy, I just don't really want to assign skill points to things. A big part of the appeal of Diablo 3 to me is the fact that I don't really have to pay too much attention to it, as whatever gear I find will probably be outclassed in 40 minutes when I find something better.

Give Genshin Impact a try maybe. The combat is pretty fun, and you can grog out as much or as little as you like. You play as a team of 4 characters, and you can switch between them at the press of a button. They each have a specific element, and you can make reactions between those, so e.g. first use a water-based attack to make someone wet, then freeze them, then switch to an earth character to shatter the frozen enemy for bonus damage. Equipment can be freely swapped between characters so until/unless you really get into endgame it's pretty easy to swap teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

thebardyspoon posted:

All those games would be fantastic recommendations but they are the ones I was blanking on so I have played them already. Cheers though, they would definitely have been ideal cause yeah, bang on for what I asked for.

Would something like The Flame in the Flood fit the bill? It has that "decaying Americana" vibe to it. No real story, just rafting endlessly down the river, making pit stops along the way to scavenge supplies. It's janky but decent fun.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Chamale posted:

Are there any open-world games where the player's actions have a permanent impact on the map? Other than Minecraft, Death Stranding, and Red Faction Guerilla. Would Just Cause fit the bill?

Might be too late but Saboteur does this extremely well.

WWII occupied Paris and you play as Irish Race Car driver slash demo dude.

The occupation areas are in black and white (with red).

Areas with lots of nazis can be cleared out to bring color back AND make missions in that area easier since you took out nazis

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a game that either entirely or mainly takes place in quiet American towns or forests. Genre and what you're actually doing in the game is somewhat irrelevant to me. Bonus points if it has really good atmosphere and good rain.

A Short Hike?

Puzzle Agent, quite town with a not-so-quiet creepy mystery. Kinda silly too.

Maybe The Bureau if you're fine with being in the destroyed ruins of a quiet town.

There's some survival game I can't remember that took place in an abandoned town and forest in the winter.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

SlothfulCobra posted:

A Short Hike?

Puzzle Agent, quite town with a not-so-quiet creepy mystery. Kinda silly too.

Maybe The Bureau if you're fine with being in the destroyed ruins of a quiet town.

There's some survival game I can't remember that took place in an abandoned town and forest in the winter.

I think the the survival game is The Long Dark

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
My problem is clearly that I have played nearly all of the games with this setting that is exactly my jam. Oxenfree is a good shout, I own that and have yet to play it. Infra and Blackout Club are both on my wishlist, just never pulled the trigger on them so might do that in the near future.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The X-Com third person shooter? I've heard some alright things about that and got it in a humble bundle so could definitely play it.

Long Dark might be the survival game you're thinking of also.

Cheers for the suggestions everyone, I will try the ones I haven't already played.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a game that either entirely or mainly takes place in quiet American towns or forests. Genre and what you're actually doing in the game is somewhat irrelevant to me. Bonus points if it has really good atmosphere and good rain.

Jenny LeClue: Detectivu, possibly

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

thebardyspoon posted:

The X-Com third person shooter? I've heard some alright things about that and got it in a humble bundle so could definitely play it.

It's a decent game that blends some XCOM stuff into a budget Mass Effect. I'll probably never replay it, but it was a worthwhile first playthrough, and it does legit have one of the neatest plot twists I've ever seen in a game.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I'm looking for a good war game to sink my teeth into - something focused more on the strategic decisions rather than on the battlefield tactical stuff. Would love if it has as a key component the management of supply lines and wartime logistics. I come to this having recently been listening to a lot of WWII podcast stuff (Hardcore History's most recent series on Japan in the run up and during WWII), and recently reading a fair number of cold war period espionage fiction (john le carre). I haven't played the Hearts of Iron series and don't know if that's what I'm looking for or not, and really haven't played anything along the lines of what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If you've been reading about Japan you might as well just plunge into the deep end and go for WitP. You won't get a game much more about logistics than that. Check this out if you're interested:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952093

If that's too much for you Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa has a big emphasis on just how logistically impossible Barbarossa was. Also features both train nazi and truck nazi.

Allof VIc's stuff has a heavy focus on logistics, if you don't want real world scenarios consider SHadow Empires, which is Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri but made by grogs.

HoI is OK but the logistics is pretty barebones, the combat resolution meh and the overall premise is just not suited to realtime play. It's not a war game so much as most of the gameplay is actually driven by the nation's decision trees.

Vietnam '65 and Afganistan '11 are both extremely logistics focused asymmetrical COIN games.

Also the thread you want for this poo poo in general is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887173

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

schwein11 posted:

I'm looking for a good war game to sink my teeth into - something focused more on the strategic decisions rather than on the battlefield tactical stuff. Would love if it has as a key component the management of supply lines and wartime logistics. I come to this having recently been listening to a lot of WWII podcast stuff (Hardcore History's most recent series on Japan in the run up and during WWII), and recently reading a fair number of cold war period espionage fiction (john le carre). I haven't played the Hearts of Iron series and don't know if that's what I'm looking for or not, and really haven't played anything along the lines of what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind a hard military sci-fi setting instead of historical, Shadow Empire will definitely hit the spot. I'm still learning it myself but the depth is amazing, it's a fantastic game

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pharnakes posted:

If you've been reading about Japan you might as well just plunge into the deep end and go for WitP. You won't get a game much more about logistics than that. Check this out if you're interested:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952093

If that's too much for you Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa has a big emphasis on just how logistically impossible Barbarossa was. Also features both train nazi and truck nazi.

Allof VIc's stuff has a heavy focus on logistics, if you don't want real world scenarios consider SHadow Empires, which is Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri but made by grogs.

HoI is OK but the logistics is pretty barebones, the combat resolution meh and the overall premise is just not suited to realtime play. It's not a war game so much as most of the gameplay is actually driven by the nation's decision trees.

Vietnam '65 and Afganistan '11 are both extremely logistics focused asymmetrical COIN games.

Also the thread you want for this poo poo in general is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887173

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa is really good and has enough of a logistics focus that I think they'd love it, although it is important to note up front that the German campaign is a lot better fleshed out than the Russian campaign. WITP is so complex it can be tough to recommend unless somebody knows what they're getting into and is up for that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What's a good 4X game? I tried Endless Space but the excessive restrictions on colonization and bad faction balance ruined it for me. I'm most interested in a space-themed one where I can set up colonies for specific purposes on planets suited for those purposes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

McFrugal posted:

What's a good 4X game? I tried Endless Space but the excessive restrictions on colonization and bad faction balance ruined it for me. I'm most interested in a space-themed one where I can set up colonies for specific purposes on planets suited for those purposes.

That's a tough one. It's been a looong time since I played a space 4x that I really enjoyed. Maybe check out Star Ruler 2?

It's got some neat ideas. One of them is that you link your colonies together into a tiered pyramid with the colonies at the base of the pyramid basically providing raw materials and staying weak while the colonies at the top of the pyramid get stronger off all the extra stuff.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Stellaris is the game you want. Planet specialization is a huge mechanical thing, and there is a lot of cool fluff and story stuff. The game is real time with pause, but totally manageable and good. Don't read the thread before you play it though, because they will convince you to hate it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alternatively if you want something turn-based and don't mind it being single-player only, Galactic Civilizations 2 is still excellent, and currently on sale for $10 on Steam. Planets have different sizes and you can put down different buildings with different effects, and some have spaces for buildings that give bonuses to certain kinds of buildings. (Industry, research, economics, culture, etc.) It gives you a nudge towards developing that colony in a certain way, but doesn't lock you into specializing too much. Also you can design and build your own ships based on your current technologies and what you need out of your units. (For example, loading them up on shields because your main enemy/rival is deep into the Laser research track.)

(Don't play 3, it's got the Sims problem where features from the previous game were taken out and now have to be rebought as DLC. It's worse in literally every way except graphics and costs four times as much.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 6, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Alternatively if you want something turn-based and don't mind it being single-player only, Galactic Civilizations 2 is still excellent, and currently on sale for $10 on Steam. Planets have different sizes and you can put down different buildings with different effects, and some have spaces for buildings that give bonuses to certain kinds of buildings. (Industry, research, economics, culture, etc.) It gives you a nudge towards developing that colony in a certain way, but doesn't lock you into specializing too much. Also you can design and build your own ships based on your current technologies and what you need out of your units. (For example, loading them up on shields because your main enemy/rival is deep into the Laser research track.)

(Don't play 3, it's got the Sims problem where features from the previous game were taken out and now have to be rebought as DLC. It's worse in literally every way except graphics and costs four times as much.)

I played a lot of GalCiv 2. Hundreds of hours, easy.

Unfortunately, it was made by Stardock Entertainment, of I-released-bees-into-my-office-to-own-my-allergic-employee. The company owner respond to a request to stop sexually harassing one of his employees with an email saying "I won't change my basic personality to suit anyone (i.e. being an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar and embarrassing person)."

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Looking for suggestions for some Real time strategy games. My buddy would like to get back into them and last ones played often were Starcraft and Warcraft
Last ones I played were.....Dawn Of War 1 + all the expansions and 2 I believe. Ashes of the singularity might be the newest one I've messed with. Various Total Wars, C&C games.

What are some good RTS games these days? We'd likely play mainly against each other. We have a leaning toward scifi and fantasy

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 6, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for suggestions for some Real time strategy games. My buddy would like to get back into them and last ones played often were Starcraft and Warcraft
Last ones I played were.....Dawn Of War 1 + all the expansions and 2 I believe. Ashes of the singularity might be the newest one I've messed with. Various Total Wars, C&C games.

What are some good RTS games these days? We'd likely play mainly against each other. We have a leaning toward scifi and fantasy

Northgard is fun but slower paced than most RTS. You play as one of a handful of viking tribes with marginally different powersets. Resource acquisition is gated by conquering small, quarter-of-the-screen sized territories which each have a limited number of buildings that can be built in them. You have to balance resource production, defense, and troop recruitment buildings.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

If you don't have significant issues with giving money to Activision-Blizzard, have you considered Starcraft 2?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

LLSix posted:

I played a lot of GalCiv 2. Hundreds of hours, easy.

Unfortunately, it was made by Stardock Entertainment, of I-released-bees-into-my-office-to-own-my-allergic-employee. The company owner respond to a request to stop sexually harassing one of his employees with an email saying "I won't change my basic personality to suit anyone (i.e. being an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar and embarrassing person)."

From what I can find online, the lawsuit was dropped or settled or dismissed (articles seem to use any of these terms) and the former employee apologized for filing the lawsuit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Have you tried Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak? It's way better than a spinoff like that has any right to be.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
I've been using Morels: The Hunt as my go to de-stresser, and I was wondering if there is anything else decent out there in a similar vein. Just wandering around in nature, taking pictures, picking plants and mushrooms and enjoying the sights and sounds.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

LLSix posted:

Northgard is fun but slower paced than most RTS. You play as one of a handful of viking tribes with marginally different powersets. Resource acquisition is gated by conquering small, quarter-of-the-screen sized territories which each have a limited number of buildings that can be built in them. You have to balance resource production, defense, and troop recruitment buildings.
This game has popped up one some of my googlefu searches, so I'll have to give it a closer look. I heard it's a little more hands off for a RTS in that you need you don't to click a million times which doesn't sound bad at all to me

PMush Perfect posted:

If you don't have significant issues with giving money to Activision-Blizzard, have you considered Starcraft 2?

No issue, I just figured something would have replaced this by now as a go to RTS but it still seems to be going super strong

anilEhilated posted:

Have you tried Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak? It's way better than a spinoff like that has any right to be.

I have not, I'll check it.

Thank you everyone

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

zombieman posted:

I've been using Morels: The Hunt as my go to de-stresser, and I was wondering if there is anything else decent out there in a similar vein. Just wandering around in nature, taking pictures, picking plants and mushrooms and enjoying the sights and sounds.

theHunter: call of the wild weirdly enough. It has an in-game camera, is beautiful, and you don't have to shoot anything if you don't want to. Just one of the prettiest hiking sims ever made.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So I have an itch to be a healer but I don't to play Wow or an MMO, what are some good games where being a healer/support is fun? I've tried Mini Healer but it didn't really satisfy.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Do you mean things like medic in TF2?

Plenty of shooter games have some kind of medic system, of varying depth and importance. probably most of them actually.

Or if diablo likes are your thing Path of Exile at least lets you be a full support character, albeit you need to play with others really and you would have to be ok with the speediness of expected group gameplay.

Or of course there's always mobas if those grind your goat.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any games like Resident Evil 2 that aren't horror?

-Challenging
-3rd Person
-Item and inventory management
-Limited resources
-Enemies are individually difficult rather than killing hordes of weak enemies
-Exploration is rewarded

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Onimusha?

Still kind of horror and swords so resources is a little different.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I have an itch to be a healer but I don't to play Wow or an MMO, what are some good games where being a healer/support is fun? I've tried Mini Healer but it didn't really satisfy.

Battlerite, maybe? I wish I could recommend its spiritual predecessor, Bloodline Champions, but it's pretty dead at this point.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

-Challenging
-3rd Person
-Limited resources
-Exploration is rewarded

CDDA is everything you asked for taken to the extreme

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

it's also horror, plus the "every enemy is threatening" only lasts till your guy gets some decent gear, at which point you can tear through chump zombies like butter

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's also horror, plus the "every enemy is threatening" only lasts till your guy gets some decent gear, at which point you can tear through chump zombies like butter

I cant read, i totally missed the "non horror" part

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Obligatory Dark Souls recommendation. Also the Souls likes, like The Surge

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Lt. Morales in Heroes of the Storm was my main when I played it. Her offense is nearly useless for damage, but she has great utility. Can't speak for high-level play, but few things make a pubbie team happier than a decent Morales keeping the rest of the team in the fight.

Monster Hunter World has two good classes that do well as support, albeit "support" in that game still skews very heavily toward "very capable combatant who happens to drop heals/buffs."

One is Sword & Shield, which is the only class that can use items (such as heals) without sheathing their weapon. Combine with the Wide Range skill, which makes your consumable items affect people around you, and Speed Eating to use items even more quickly, and S&S is the best on-demand party healer.

The other is Hunting Horn, one of my favorites. It is literally a woodwind that doubles as a giant club. You can use it to play songs to heal/buff your teammates (different horns have different songs) with each attack button corresponding to a note. You can recite songs after you play notes in order. Then you can swing it into a dinosaur and knock them on their rear end.

Both weapons are 100% viable in solo combat, as MHW isn't a "support characters are useless alone" sort of game. Sword & Shield is one of the most accessible weapons in the game, with a great balance between offense and defense. Hunting Horn, while its songs have some complexity in use, has very straightforward attacks and hits like a goddamn truck. Both just happen to have support elements built into them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

-Challenging
-3rd Person
-Limited resources
-Exploration is rewarded

That was the original pitch for The Last of Us, but I don't know if it actually succeeds at fitting the bill. Also is kinda horror-adjacent. A lot of limited- inventory games are.

Maybe Deus Ex Human Revolution? It's got a grid inventory system and the stealth focus means that it's really hard to just go in guns blazing and killing hordes. It's primarily first person, but there's a lot of situations where it zooms out to third person.

Witcher 3 tends to put a lot of emphasis on preparing to fight individual enemies a lot of the time, and you do a lot of dipping into your inventory to do things, but there's a lot of weightless trash to wade through.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

I liked CDDA but the lack end-game goals other than "come up with something crazy to do" left me wanting more. I know its like the ultimate sandbox, but I do wish there were more objectives other than just surviving. Great game for what it is though.

Kvlt! posted:

I cant read, i totally missed the "non horror" part
And Tbh, I don't mind horror themed stuff at all, it just feels like all of the best games that deal with these concepts are either horror or roguelikes so I wanted to see if I was missing something

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was the original pitch for The Last of Us, but I don't know if it actually succeeds at fitting the bill. Also is kinda horror-adjacent. A lot of limited- inventory games are.

Maybe Deus Ex Human Revolution? It's got a grid inventory system and the stealth focus means that it's really hard to just go in guns blazing and killing hordes. It's primarily first person, but there's a lot of situations where it zooms out to third person.

Witcher 3 tends to put a lot of emphasis on preparing to fight individual enemies a lot of the time, and you do a lot of dipping into your inventory to do things, but there's a lot of weightless trash to wade through.

DE:HR was awesome, great suggestion. And yeah I loved TLoU, haven't played the 2nd one yet due to no console. Maybe I need to borrow one to check it out. Thanks for the suggestions

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
What's the best Zachtronics game if I've never played a Zachtronics game?

Also, what's the better Myst-like between Talos Principle and Obduction? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

What's the best Zachtronics game if I've never played a Zachtronics game?

Also, what's the better Myst-like between Talos Principle and Obduction? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

Opus Magnum, hands down. Best presentation, a somewhat more gentle difficulty curve, and the gifs of your machines always come out looking mesmerising. I also thought the particular things you're graded on offered the most fun to chase after when it came to alternate solutions.

Talos Principle isn't a Myst-like whatsoever, it's actually much closer in vibe to Portal. Obduction is literally made by folks who also made Myst so it kinda wins that comparison by default. But if you want to branch out I can recommend The Eyes of Ara, Quern: Undying Thoughts, and The Room series of games (the fourth of which just hit Steam apparently :woop:).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Talos Principle is a clever 3D puzzle game like Portal, but with the humor and comedy replaced by musings about philosophy, legacy, and what it means to be human. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it melancholy, but it’s beautiful and somber and thoughtful.

It’s one of my favorite puzzle games ever made, even if don’t think I’ll ever find even half of the really deep secrets.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 12, 2021