Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
For safety/insurance reasons, will WWE ever sign a guy built like Yokozuna again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lid posted:

Is Roderick Strong the closest to a modern Dean Malenko? I'm asking because now after a fashion Roderick is a legend to me and will have outstanding technical matches with anyone but for years even when he was pushed at his peak as a champion he always felt less like The Guy then the best hand available. Hell it wasn't until well after his peak he developed a more rounded identity and character.

Hence the retrospective legend view but also knowing he will never be on anyones list of Hall of Fame talent from his era, but likely to leave a mark and a legacy that far outshines a lot of his peers.
He'll probably be more respected with time, but I don't think that's a good comparison. Roddy is a guy who was basically a child wrestling prodigy training in Jim Neidhart's backyard and always had the physical side of wrestling down, but he wasn't necessarily a matwork technician type. But he didn't really come until his own until the early-mid 2010s, when everything finally clicked on the personality side. He's been one of the very best guys in the business—albeit one who's often super underrated—for years now.

Red posted:

For safety/insurance reasons, will WWE ever sign a guy built like Yokozuna again?
Probably not, but even Yokozuna wasn't built like Yokozuna when he was signed as one of the Headshrinkers. He was asked to gain weight for the sumo gimmick.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Let's ask a hypothetical: If Owen's piledriver wound up retiring Austin on the spot how does the wrestling landscape in the 90s change?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

My personal favourite signature is the point during a strong style Tomohiro Ishii match where he's in a slow strike exchange and a blow almost but not quite knocks him off his feet. He is so good at that spot.

What about the part where it knocks him off his feet, but at the last second he leaps and does that slightly clumsy but rad enzuigiri? Or when he takes a big move, but jumps back to his feet and roars?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's such a huge hypothetical that everyone can probably come up with a different idea of where it goes.

I would say there probably isn't another boom period, or at least a severely reduced one. The Attitude Era wasn't just Austin but he was a huge part of it. It's entirely possible that business either drops again or just doesn't rise as much and then Vince starts cutting people to save money.

Does Shawn go even harder on politicking to put himself in the number 1 spot, with or without a debilitating back injury?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Does Vince McMahon have any hobbies aside from working out?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

fatherofmustard posted:

No he literally works, works out and sleeps I think.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If he had any hobbies he would have handed the company over to Steph and Triple H years ago

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fatherofmustard posted:

He enjoys letting Shane know that he's not his favourite son despite being his only son.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LionYeti posted:

No he literally works, works out and sleeps I think.

Also he limits sleeping as much as possible

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Much like sneezing, sleep is something Vince can't ultimately control, and thus must hate it.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
Yesterday I was watching the 2000 Royal Rumble, which has an extended period where Rikishi cleans house. At some point it occurred to me that despite me only ever remembering his gimmick as "big samoan guy who dances" his ring attire and name are clear references to Sumo. I don't remember that ever being a part of his character- was that ever mentioned/referenced with him?

Also how badly did Taka get hurt being thrown from the ring? It looks brutal, and even when they announce he'd been taken to the hospital, King is still laughing at the replays like an rear end in a top hat.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Let's ask a hypothetical: If Owen's piledriver wound up retiring Austin on the spot how does the wrestling landscape in the 90s change?

They probably slot Rock into Austin's spot on top of the card, but a lot of what happens depends on if the Screwjob still goes down 3 months later. If it does, they probably give Owen more of a push as the Black Hart than they did in reality to fill Austin's anti-authority spot going against Corporate Rock.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
"I WANNA SEE THAT CHAH-NESE GUY FALL OVER AGAIN JR HAHA"
"... He's Japanese."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Much like sneezing, sleep is something Vince can't ultimately control, and thus must hate it.

I always remember that bit about Jericho going to Vince's (Mc)Mansion in his first book and even at home Vince was immaculate with his hair done and a suit. Like you'd think business casual would be fine for hanging out at your house and trying to figure out if Too Much or the JOB Squad goes over with Bruce Prichard.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Yesterday I was watching the 2000 Royal Rumble, which has an extended period where Rikishi cleans house. At some point it occurred to me that despite me only ever remembering his gimmick as "big samoan guy who dances" his ring attire and name are clear references to Sumo. I don't remember that ever being a part of his character- was that ever mentioned/referenced with him?

The basic Rikishi timeline after his run as The Sultan is “shows up in sumo gear after putting on weight because LOL butts, stumbles into Too Cool dance partnership, success (until “I did it for tha Rock”).” Best I can figure they were going to go for Yokozuna #2 but dropped the idea once the Too Cool partnership kicked in.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

BodyMassageMachine posted:

The basic Rikishi timeline after his run as The Sultan is “shows up in sumo gear after putting on weight because LOL butts, stumbles into Too Cool dance partnership, success (until “I did it for tha Rock”).” Best I can figure they were going to go for Yokozuna #2 but dropped the idea once the Too Cool partnership kicked in.

The irony of him being the 2nd Yokozuna when Yoko was almost the other Headshrinker with Samu.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mob posted:

The irony of him being the 2nd Yokozuna when Yoko was almost the other Headshrinker with Samu.
The real cruel joke is that Yokozuna is the highest rank in sumo, Rikishi is "just a guy".

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I just found the Rikishi gimmick debut, and he even does the same 'crossing my arms sitting on a guy' Yokozuna would do.

It's so incredibly blatant.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I just found the Rikishi gimmick debut, and he even does the same 'crossing my arms sitting on a guy' Yokozuna would do.

It's so incredibly blatant.

Wasn’t Rikishi’s finisher the Banzai Drop? Or at least a signature move?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

His finisher was similar to Bam Bam Bigelow's "Greetings from Asbury Park". He started to a sit down splash as a signature after his rear end got over with the crowd.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Banzai Drop was a signature, yeah. He used it in the debut too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

At first, I think he had the Banzai Drop, then he ended up using a "Rikishi Driver", which was a terrible reverse piledriver. After the failed heel turn, he tagged with Scotty and I think mostly relied on the Stinkface.

Also, it's worth noting he debuted as Rikishi Fatu, but they changed it to Rikishi Phatu, then just settled on Rikishi. He wasn't super different from the gimmick of Fatu, who danced to make a difference in kids' lives somehow; that gimmick just had him in tights and boots and jobbing, and some sort of unresolved angle where suited Samoan goons would watch him from a distance.

So, anyway, Fatu sucked, and they turned him into The Sultan, and then went with Rikishi Phatu.

I don't know, either.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

When he started, he had a piledriver finisher and used the Banzai as a setup. I believe he stopped using both after a while as the Stinkface was more over with the crowd (also you couldn't do piledrivers any more)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Wasn’t he called Sammy Sumo for a bit? He worked dark matches for a long time between the sultan and rikishi gimmicks and in pretty sure that was a name he went by.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Didn't rikishi use a fire thunder driver for a while? I remember thinking that it was actually pretty good.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Looking up the timeline of all of the shots that Rikishi got in the 1990s, I had no clue that he spent most of 1999 in Memphis as "street Hustler J.R. Smooth", feuding with Michael Hayes and Kurt Angle.

According to Meltzer reports at the time, Rikishi was more or less fired after Wrestlemania XIV, and sent to Memphis to sort of work out the remainder of his contract/work with developmental guys. Matty and Ekmo (aka Rosey/Umaga) were his underlings, and they called themselves BSK.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Wasn’t he called Sammy Sumo for a bit? He worked dark matches for a long time between the sultan and rikishi gimmicks and in pretty sure that was a name he went by.
According to a book cached in Google Books, he came out for a single dark match against Crash Holly in Richmond, VA introduced as "Sammy Sumo" but it bombed badly enough that they had him come back out later in the night as Rikishi Fatu and squash Crash again. That's the only reference I can find (Meltzer says he was just called SUMO in the show reportP

quote:

In a match that didn't air on television, Sumo (Solofa Fatu) returned with a new gimmick pinning Crash Holly. What they need with Fatu at this point is beyond me. Don't they already have a bunch of 330 pound guys who move slow, have no charisma and can't get any heat?

He spends the next few weeks reporting that he's being called Ratishi Fatu in dark matches. The weirdest thing to me is that he's only on TV as Rikishi for like three weeks before he gets paired up with Too Cool.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 8, 2021

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Deathlove posted:

Didn't rikishi use a fire thunder driver for a while? I remember thinking that it was actually pretty good.

Yeah, that’s what the Rikishi Driver was. Except he was so big people’s head never even came within a foot of the ground so he basically just had the opponent bounce off his shoulder while he dropped to his rear end.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dacap posted:

Yeah, that’s what the Rikishi Driver was. Except he was so big people’s head never even came within a foot of the ground so he basically just had the opponent bounce off his shoulder while he dropped to his rear end.

On its own, it probably looked like a generic sitdown shoulder driver thing, but when you realize it was supposed to be a reverse piledriver...

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rikishi deserved every chance he got because of his clothesline sell.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rikishi deserved every chance he got because of his clothesline sell.

Rikishi was the beneficiary of a system that said:

1. Give a guy a gimmick, go to step 2
2. If this guy can pull off the gimmick, give him a meaningful storyline to develop a character, push accordingly; else, go to step 3
3. If this guy can't pull off the gimmick, take him off TV, repackage, go to step 2

Rikishi was a Headshrinker, then danced, then Sultan'd, then sumo danced, then did a hit job as a sumo dancer, then went back to sumo dancing, but less people cared.

In the mid to late 90s, talent was thin enough they'd try out multiple gimmicks until something stuck. Kane didn't happen until he'd been a dentist and a Kevin Nash. Savio Vegas used to be a ninja.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Red posted:

2. If this guy can pull off the gimmick, give him a meaningful storyline to develop a character, push accordingly; else, go to step 3
3. If this guy can't pull off the gimmick, take him off TV, repackage, go to step 2

Rikishi was a Headshrinker, then danced, then Sultan'd, then sumo danced, then did a hit job as a sumo dancer, then went back to sumo dancing, but less people cared.

In the mid to late 90s, talent was thin enough they'd try out multiple gimmicks until something stuck. Kane didn't happen until he'd been a dentist and a Kevin Nash. Savio Vegas used to be a ninja.

In simpler terms...

"We thought this guy was talented enough to give him money, if we give up on him that means admitting we were wrong."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The extreme of this probably being Mark Henry, where they gave him a *lot* of money, refused to admit they were wrong, kept trying to drive him out of the business so he'd quit rather than admit they were wrong (and also to not pay him all that money he was owed), and Henry went "Nah I'll be a total idiot for that sort of money, gently caress you"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Red posted:

I've just watched Chaz go through like three or four gimmicks in the space of year and I'm like, "Does anyone actually give a poo poo about Chaz to warrant this?"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

In simpler terms...

"We thought this guy was talented enough to give him money, if we give up on him that means admitting we were wrong."

Absolutely, though besides money, sometimes a guy will get like 8 chances just for being big.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Red posted:

Absolutely, though besides money, sometimes a guy will get like 8 chances just for being big.

Yeah, but I'm counting that as often part of the giving him money step.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Wasn't it Rakishi at some early point?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wasn't it Rakishi at some early point?

no thats just how Jim Ross pronounced Rikishi for some rason

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'd rather have lovely sitout piledrivers where the dude's head remains a foot off the map than 'good' sitout piledrivers that shorten Steve Austin's career by 5 years.
Trying to making chicken soup out of chicken poop made way more sense in the 90s when WWE had nothing going on in the midcard than it does in the 2010s-20s where it's not 'finding something that will work' and more 'you will like this guy whether you like it or not' over guys the crowd actually likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dacap posted:

It looked brutal when they hid that with the camera angle, or in the Smackdown games where they could just animate the head smashing into the ground.