Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think in all paths through DA2 you leave your uncle in his lovely house in the slums even as you become a noble and live in a fancy aristocrat house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

mass effect is garbage because you never got a batarian squadmate, or a squadmate from that race that lived inside a suit huffing their own farts
but talis right there

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah there's a huge market for people who want to play through their own version of Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5 and that market is really untapped, probably cause it's really hard to convince AAA publishers that some nerdy single-player story-driven sci fi poo poo will sell big bucks. Like I just searched for games like Mass Effect and this is what came up

- Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
- FF7 Remake
- Anachronox
- Jade Empire
- Alpha Protocol
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Prey
- Fallout: New Vegas
- The Surge 2
- Star Wars: KOTOR
- The Technomancer
- Greedfall
- The Witcher 3
- Bioshock
- Deus Ex

Like, there's some good games there but nothing that comes close to what Mass Effect was trying to be

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Frankenmom is the best part of DA2. That and revisiting the same 4 locations a dozen times over 15 years and one time a door was unlock but now it's locked!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That and revisiting the same 4 locations a dozen times over 15 years and one time a door was unlock but now it's locked!

Yeah FFX-2 rules

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

See, I want a space opera-ish game like Mass Effect on the Switch but I don't think anything exists.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm done with Mario Kart Wii! I've got gold on every Grand Prix, done a time trial for every course and competed in both the battle modes and I'm ready to call it a day. Next up is my return to Grand Theft Auto IV. I played it a little last year while on hiatus from the thread so I'm excited to share the rest of this experience with you :neckbeard:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what if i want a space whatever game that is the opposite of mass effect

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

what if i want a space whatever game that is the opposite of mass effect

play master of orion 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pitching my star trek themed reigns knockoff to cbs, where youre presented with a dilemma and you swipe left for a picard solution or right for a kirk solution

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i would love an actual star trek game but it absolutely wouldnt look like mass effect, would be more of a vn probably than anything

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Urquan masters is the best space game sorry noobs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

i would love an actual star trek game but it absolutely wouldnt look like mass effect, would be more of a vn probably than anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkfIRPWzeV8

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Urquan masters is the best space game sorry hunams

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's Homeworld actually

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yes!!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Speaking of video game racism I think the Al Bhed in FFX are really funny because for a game that tries to actively be about racism, the Al Bhed are so underdeveloped that they are constantly playing into racist stereotypes. Like, Tidus is constantly asking Al Bhed if they know who Rikku is just because she's Al Bhed too and no one questions him, and then after the Home scene every single Al Bhed in the game you've met so far is on the airship with you so it turns out that actually yes, every single Al Bhed do know each other.

Wakka: We can't stay at this Inn, this is an Al Bhed store! What if the owner is sending money back home to fund a giant kidnapping operation?

Everyone: Wow Wakka what the gently caress

[Rin then has a conversation with Tidus about running a series of Inns to help raise money for Home, the Al Bjed city where they use giant robots for kidnappings]

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 6, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf, rikku's dad is the leader of the al bhed so it kinda makes sense for other al bhed to know her, and the kidnapping was to keep a half al-bhed from dying. they're still very underdeveloped tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

I replayed 1 and 2 last year and played 3 for the first time and they're all perfectly good games for the most part but they have a really outsized place in the gamer zeitgeist compared to their quality.

For the five years between 2007 and 2012 people really believed in the promise of an ongoing storyline across three games, and ME2 seemed to prove that it was really working. Then 3 happened and people believed even harder that it was the worst disaster that had ever befallen the gaming world. So it's like the perfect yin and yang of going down in gaming history

Also like above there are very, very few epic space opera games that are really worth a poo poo, and even fewer of them that are also competent RPGs with ok-to-good character writing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ends are bad

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember hearing Infinite Space was good but it's a DS game so I'm very skeptical about how it has held up

e: wait drat it's by Platinum maybe its alright????

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the ff4 expansion is real...
https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/1357865042100772865

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mega man villains: bomb man, fire man, junk man

mega man x villains: flame mammoth, crush crawfish, split mushroom

mega man zero villains: blazin' flizard, anubis necromancess the third, burble hekelot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kWUbrx4EMw

GET EQUIPPED
WITH
TRASH THROW

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Looper posted:

mega man x villains: flame mammoth, crush crawfish, split mushroom

mega man zero villains: blazin' flizard, anubis necromancess the third, burble hekelot

mega man zx villains: fistleo the predatoroid, queenbee the hymenopteroid, chronoforce the xiphosuroid

gunvolt villains: fred, james, sarah

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I remember hearing Infinite Space was good but it's a DS game so I'm very skeptical about how it has held up

e: wait drat it's by Platinum maybe its alright????

It's a strangely fascinating game and nothing like what platinum normally does. It's fine for a space opera but it's a very anime game in terms of tropes and characterization.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v-Cksw9D1U

they mustve realized and felt bad deep down about how sadistic these jetboard and bear levels are because this was in the first handful of feeling it out probing runs and i wound up accidentally getting the platinum despite missing like 15 seconds of time boxes and wasting a ton of time dodging nitro carriers and setting off tnt blockades too late. this platinum req feels like a silent apology for the perfect relic LMAO

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
you can flat-out see me feeling around for crates that might be there bc i dont know bc i havent hit that point in the level before

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

They also confirmed that it'll be the end of the current storyline as of 6.0. 6.1 will be the start of a whole new story. Ballsy move, and I'm all in for this poo poo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

ME2 has its issues but man that opening is still aces and a great way to start a sequel.

I agree. And then they make zombie shepard fixing daddy issues the game and it goes to poo poo.

Would have been better if Shep was dead dead and you could play as garrus.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

Ys 9 kicks rear end you have a grapple beam and can run up walls by hour 2 and theres 4 more movement abilities apparently

The part about welfare making the poor lazy was a little weird tho but nothings perfect.

How did you feel about Ys 8, if you played it? I haven't exactly bounced off but I'm not wild about it thus far either

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New job looks pretty interesting, though I'm real skeptical of dividing healers between pure healer and barrier healer to the point that the party finder will separate them

Happy to see a new healer though. Also I like how the trailer WoL changes from Dark Knight to Paladin and then goes to the moon :v:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

xedo posted:

It's a strangely fascinating game and nothing like what platinum normally does. It's fine for a space opera but it's a very anime game in terms of tropes and characterization.

Never heard of this before but it's getting downloaded immediately. Thanks.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Violen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v-Cksw9D1U

they mustve realized and felt bad deep down about how sadistic these jetboard and bear levels are because this was in the first handful of feeling it out probing runs and i wound up accidentally getting the platinum despite missing like 15 seconds of time boxes and wasting a ton of time dodging nitro carriers and setting off tnt blockades too late. this platinum req feels like a silent apology for the perfect relic LMAO

praying for pc port...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Edmond Dantes posted:

They also confirmed that it'll be the end of the current storyline as of 6.0. 6.1 will be the start of a whole new story. Ballsy move, and I'm all in for this poo poo.

I really think they're building up to 7.0 being ffxiv-2. Not a full reset, but an opportunity to allow new players to start at level 90 without missing a ton of important context

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“Endwalker”? Not great

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Send Pwalker

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"Jay Rust"? Not great

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

paul walker... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

cheetah7071 posted:

I really think they're building up to 7.0 being ffxiv-2. Not a full reset, but an opportunity to allow new players to start at level 90 without missing a ton of important context

Yeah, sounds about right. They're also giving the PS5 version of the game for free to PS4 registered players, which to me sounds like they're going to sunset the PS4 version by 7.0. Not sure if that'll mean an entirely new engine, but it does sound like at least they'll start ramping up the current one.