Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered the Er4XR for $110 bux. Been on my get list for years now and that price is almost a whatever price. Now I just need to figure how to not rape up my ear canals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I just ordered the Er4XR for $110 bux. Been on my get list for years now and that price is almost a whatever price. Now I just need to figure how to not rape up my ear canals.

I'd recommend buying the new double flange tips. More comfortable to me than the triples.

Also, give them plenty of juice. They really perk up and lose the plasticky timbre when they're properly amped. For example, I use my Atom in high gain with my ER4XR.

Lol I thought I got an insane deal for my ER4XR barely over a year ago at $220.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I'd recommend buying the new double flange tips. More comfortable to me than the triples.

Also, give them plenty of juice. They really perk up and lose the plasticky timbre when they're properly amped. For example, I use my Atom in high gain with my ER4XR.

Lol I thought I got an insane deal for my ER4XR barely over a year ago at $220.

I've got a 1w audio canon known as the Xduoo 05+ which can do 1w output power. I am totally set. It's very interesting you say that the plastic timbre goes away with power. I hadn't really noticed this.. and I do iem reviews! Sheesh. I think awhile back I started being turned off by BA because of the timbre. To be clear I dig BA for midrange but for treble and bass was not so wonderful. This was actually the main reason I never got the 4xr. So yeah.. power = good. Will feed power.

[edit] 2 flange! Bought em. thanks

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

redeyes posted:

what da fuk, new?

that price for the ER4XR basically invalidates most of the IEM market lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Adorama has had similar deals on various etymotic iems off and on for the past several months. I got some 2SE's for $70 and then the XR's were like $65 a little later :negative:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TopHatGenius posted:

My wife is looking for a pair of (preferably wired) headphones that she can wear to bed while sleeping sideways and without causing excessive damage to them. Any recommendations?

If she wants wired, these are the best I’ve found (and I’ve tried most of the sleep headband headphones at this point) - sound quality is fine, but the speakers are extremely thin and soft. Side sleeping actually holds the speaker to your ear which makes it sound better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014T3QLBA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_jWMeGb4G2Q8K6

(They also make a Bluetooth version if she changes her mind on wires.)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I have trouble sleeping, and these look great. Of course, I ordered from them Aliexpress so I'll maybe get something in three months that breaks :). Worth a shot though.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Anybody have thoughts or experience on the Xduoo XD-05 Basic? Looks pretty good to me on paper.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pegnose Pete posted:

Anybody have thoughts or experience on the Xduoo XD-05 Basic? Looks pretty good to me on paper.

I've been rocking the 05+ for more than a year. I LOVE it. Has enough power for anything. Portable with long battery life. I got the BT adapter which connects via spdif and uses LDAC. The bass boost is +6db and subbass tuned. It comes with a Texas Instruments OPA1612 operation amplifier which is socketed so you can swap it which I did for a JRC Muses 02 opamp. I prefer the Muses02, sounds a bit richer, more 3D, more musical.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TopHatGenius posted:

My wife is looking for a pair of (preferably wired) headphones that she can wear to bed while sleeping sideways and without causing excessive damage to them. Any recommendations?

Does she care about stereo sound? For years I used an old set of headphones where the band broke, so I trimmed it down to just the speaker parts and jammed them inside my pillow. More recently I got a this pillow speaker: https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PS-300-Speaker-Control-Amplifier/dp/B00BB5WC8Q/ and so far it's been pretty great as a side sleeper. The headband things always looked interesting but I have a history of tossing and turning occasionally so the idea of having a wire connected seemed like a bad idea.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

trem_two posted:

For some reason all of their over ears of that basic style with the "wing flaps" have been out of stock since late November / early December. Amazon has an estimated ship date of March for one I've been keeping my eye on. I'll be curious to see if they do give you a response.

Update on this, AT hasn't gotten back to me but I happened to see they were in stock on amazon last night and placed an order that should arrive Feb 5 or so.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYZZE24/

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

redeyes posted:

I've been rocking the 05+ for more than a year. I LOVE it. Has enough power for anything. Portable with long battery life. I got the BT adapter which connects via spdif and uses LDAC. The bass boost is +6db and subbass tuned. It comes with a Texas Instruments OPA1612 operation amplifier which is socketed so you can swap it which I did for a JRC Muses 02 opamp. I prefer the Muses02, sounds a bit richer, more 3D, more musical.

Hey thanks. Yeah the Basic seems to be a newer addition to the line up with a few differences from the 05+.
I use AKGQ701s. Also the Muses02 is available in my region if I ever decide to upgrade.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just to update things.

Just got an Aune B1s Class A amp(only, no dac). Plugged into my xduoo 05+ dac (AK, not special) line out. I am loving blown loving away.

HIGHLY recommended.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My 6XXs just came in and I can tell already that they're going to fill a huge gaping hole in my collection thus far. I have DT 990 Pros, AKG 702s, LCD-Xs, HiFiman Aryas, and HD800S, literally all of these make anything that isn't a good source sound like poo poo.
I haven't listened to Sad Wings of Destiny in ages because as much as I love that album it is terribly, dreadfully mastered.

But boy howdy the 6XXs are dark and funky enough to make the album sound how it should. Goosebumps during the "Changes come over her body" part in Victim of Changes.

These are a very fun pair of headphones. If anyone is looking for something in the $200 range that isn't super picky about source and is hyper versatile, I'd highly recommend them. They easily live up to their reputation.

Going to get a DarkVoice soon to see why it's so hyped in conjuction with these headphones.

Fail
Jan 19, 2006

Clever girl
What do you guys think of SonarWorks Reference 4 for Headphones? I'm giving the trial a go so far so good, im actually loving it.

Also, any recommendations on which pair to buy next to fill a gap somewhere in my collection? I currently own:
Bose QC35, Bose 700, Sony XMDR1000s, Audio Technica x50, Status Audio CB-1, Drop+HIFIMAN HE-35Xs alongside others not worth mentioning.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Kalman posted:

If she wants wired, these are the best I’ve found (and I’ve tried most of the sleep headband headphones at this point) - sound quality is fine, but the speakers are extremely thin and soft. Side sleeping actually holds the speaker to your ear which makes it sound better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014T3QLBA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_jWMeGb4G2Q8K6

(They also make a Bluetooth version if she changes her mind on wires.)

Hey, question about these:
Do the soft speakers fire outward like open headphones?
I could really use something like this but my wife and I cosleep with our kid so I would need them to be discrete.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fail posted:

What do you guys think of SonarWorks Reference 4 for Headphones? I'm giving the trial a go so far so good, im actually loving it.

Also, any recommendations on which pair to buy next to fill a gap somewhere in my collection? I currently own:
Bose QC35, Bose 700, Sony XMDR1000s, Audio Technica x50, Status Audio CB-1, Drop+HIFIMAN HE-35Xs alongside others not worth mentioning.

Love it with my Q701 and was worth it for them alone; it’s ok with QC35 and PM3, don’t feel like it really fixes the 7506 for me. If you’re on windows though the eq programs available might be good enough? On osx the things I tried were all kinda clunky and reference was worth it to not have to deal with it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fail posted:

It's good, but it doesn't really do anything that Peace / APO doesn't do for free, assuming you're running windows. It's a hell of a lot less obtuse though, that's for sure.

e: to answer your other question, sennheiser 6xx if you have a good amp, 58x if you don't.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 31, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Kinda wound up in a rather silly audio situation here -

For a while, I've been using a set of speakers with a USB in, and a USB headset, so I never worried about amps or DACs. Recently, though, I wanted to listen to my record player (which has a built in preamp) with headphones. Until now, it was just plugged into an analog input on my speakers.

I looked at getting some kind of mixer setup so I could just output my record player to either headphones or speakers, but couldn't find any cheap ones without extremely worrying reviews regarding audio quality, and by the time you got to "nice" ones, they were like $80 or $90, which is nearly the price of a headphone amp. I ended up getting a JDS Atom Amp, which has two analog inputs and both speaker and headphone outputs, for my records. This has worked great so far.

Now, I'm starting to think about feeding my PC audio through this amp, and investing in some nicer headphones (the ones I've been using for my records have been a cheapo Koss pair :v:). This is where I kinda hosed up. My computer setup is a laptop and desktop at the same desk, with a USB hub-switch that toggles peripherals between all my stuff, previously including my headset. With just the amp, though, I'd have to juggle different analog cables (not to mention use my desktop motherboard's kinda lovely audio ports), plus get a separate mic with USB.

If I'd bought, say, a Schitt Fulla for the same price, I would have gotten a combined DAC/Amp with a digital input, analogue input, two analog outputs, and a mic in for the same price as what I spent on the Atom. JDS sells an Atom DAC that pairs with the Amp, but that's another hundred bucks and, annoyingly, doesn't offer any kind of mic-in capability.

A potential solution is to just use a cheap USB sound card, like the one that can be bundled with a ModMic. Since this mic, or something like it, is what I'd be pairing with new headphones anyways, my big question is (tldr) - how much worse do y'all reckon a cheap DAC like this is versus, say, the Fulla? I'm basically split between going down the cheap DAC route or returning/Craigslisting the Atom Amp and getting the Fulla.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 31, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you aren’t recording audio for podcasts/audiobooks/music, I’d get a nice audio DAC, and a cheap USB microphone—but I listen to audio through my setup exponentially more than I beam my voice through it, and when I do the latter, my bluetooth headset serves me more than fine.

If you depend on doing a lot of voice audio and you also want something turnkey and portable, then the Fulla or Hel seem pretty dope tho. I wouldn’t replace a Magni or Magnius or bigger Schiit amp/DAC with one but for a road setup I doubt the Fulla’s value for money can be easily beat.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I have been using and liking the SoundPeats IPX 7 and 6 respectively, which we bought for about 30 bucks each a couple of years ago. Hers are starting to crap out. Those were our first bluetooth IEMs and we really liked them. She hates headphones and I suggested we get something a bit nicer than the soundpeats IPX, or is that good enough?

Budget: about $100, give or take
Source: android phone
Isolation Requirements - yes, my wife uses hers in the office
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - She listens to lots and lots of audiobooks and sometimes music.
Past Headphones - SoundPeats IPX 7: first bluetooth IEM so hard to judge. Portability was good.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 1, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pegnose Pete posted:

Hey, question about these:
Do the soft speakers fire outward like open headphones?
I could really use something like this but my wife and I cosleep with our kid so I would need them to be discrete.

They’re not super loud to others as far as I can tell but we sleep with a white noise machine going so any leakage gets more than drowned out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Returned the m50xBT set, they were too uncomfortable for me to keep. I'm tossing up between DT770 Pro and the MDR-7506. Half the time I'll be in a quiet-ish office listening to music/podcasts, the other half of the time i'll be making music or gaming at a noisy home.

I tried on a few of the Sony WH series wireless headphones and they were super comfortable - do the MDR set feel anything like that? If they feel similar I'd go that route.

It's a bit tricky for me to make it to an actual headphone/music store at the moment.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The DT770Pro have way too much sideways clamping force for me, but... I've got a very large and fragile head.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never had any of the WH on, but the 7506 are so different design wise I'm not sure they're going to be similar feeling at all. FWIW I have a pair of 7506 and they're easily my least favorite pair of headphones of what I own. They work well enough for what I got them for, monitoring audio with video, but outside of that I never use them. I don't have a set of M50s anymore to compare but preferred those for sure, both in comfort and sound signature.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been using these Galaxy Buds Pro for a few weeks now and they sound great but man the fit of them is real weird. I found the Galaxy Buds+ to fit more comfortably and stay in without much fiddling. I'm always trying to turn/push in these buds because they slip out as I'm talking or eating is the worst. It sucks because I really like the audio quality and ANC is great but they fit real weird and the battery life is pretty lovely with ANC on too.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

endlessmonotony posted:

The DT770Pro have way too much sideways clamping force for me, but... I've got a very large and fragile head.

thanks for yet another post about your strange head

well why not posted:

Returned the m50xBT set, they were too uncomfortable for me to keep. I'm tossing up between DT770 Pro and the MDR-7506. Half the time I'll be in a quiet-ish office listening to music/podcasts, the other half of the time i'll be making music or gaming at a noisy home.

Absolutely DT770 over 7506. I like my 7506 for the form factor and durability but the upper midrange honk is unbearable for actually listening to music.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ordered the 770s from somewhere that had a 21 day return policy. If they don’t suit me I’ll return and get the ridiculously comfy Sony for general use and save for a dedicated music production set. I’m sure a lot of great music has been made on far far worse headphones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They wouldn't be my first choice for mixing, but they're a studio standard for tracking due to the isolation and comfort. If you're doing production you should be doing 90% of your mixing on nearfields anyway tbh.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'll be years before i can setup nearfields so for now it's headphones or bust. We'll see how the mixes come out with these. I think I did OK with m50s so i'm sure i can adjust.

also i make kinda heavy electronic music, so mix clarity is not the absolute of highest high priority.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
In that case just put hours on 'em. You can mostly mix on anything as long as it's basically technically competent and you've listened to so much music on it you know what's supposed to sound "right". The 770 is good for EDM because of the big sub bump, but you have to know to compensate for that as well.

You will have to check on house speakers or cars or whatever you can get your hands on though because you can't detect phase problems with headphones the same way, and your mixes will always be too narrow and dry before you do that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah that’s the current idea. If they’re comfortable enough I’ll likely wear them at minimum 2h a day and as many as like ... 12. Maybe.

I’m pretty used the car test at this point. Haven’t had my monitors setup since ... late 2017. Just not viable right now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

The 770 were one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned, and definitely the most comfortable closed backs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a reputable coiled 3.5mm cable (like around 1.5 feet coiled?) that I could use to replace the cable on my Status Audio CB-1s? A pet rabbit got a little overzealous and now it appears the coiled monoprice cable is out of stock and everything on Amazon is from brands I've never heard of.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

First impression of the 770s is - they sound great, better than m50s and so far no discomfort. Now, to see how I go transporting these things between home & office. Folding the m50s was useful. Can't wait to get into some production with these.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My 6XXs just came in and I can tell already that they're going to fill a huge gaping hole in my collection thus far. I have DT 990 Pros, AKG 702s, LCD-Xs, HiFiman Aryas, and HD800S, literally all of these make anything that isn't a good source sound like poo poo.

But boy howdy the 6XXs are dark and funky enough to make the album sound how it should. Goosebumps during the "Changes come over her body" part in Victim of Changes.

These are a very fun pair of headphones. If anyone is looking for something in the $200 range that isn't super picky about source and is hyper versatile, I'd highly recommend them. They easily live up to their reputation.

I'm actually looking for something in the $200 to $300 range that's open and pretty easy to drive. Was thinking of these but also saw that there are now HD660s?

Currently been using DT770Pro and love them, but feeling that I'd like to have something that's open to use from time to time.

e: I've owned 650s in the past, and I liked everything about them apart from having to use an expensive tube amp to make them really shine.

paberu fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 6, 2021

Passburger
May 4, 2013

paberu posted:

I'm actually looking for something in the $200 to $300 range that's open and pretty easy to drive. Was thinking of these but also saw that there are now HD660s?

Currently been using DT770Pro and love them, but feeling that I'd like to have something that's open to use from time to time.

e: I've owned 650s in the past, and I liked everything about them apart from having to use an expensive tube amp to make them really shine.

Maybe the Hifiman Sundaras? They can be found on sale for 300ish every now and then. And they are REALLY open, way more open than my HD600's.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

paberu posted:

Well, the 6xx is just the 650 with a paintjob and a better price, it'll still make you yearn for an OTL tube amp the size of your head. Not that it isn't great on solid state.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at Sundaras and 660s (thinking of probably getting a used pair for those).

I think the days of huge tube amps are not coming back for me, I'm going to stick with the modi/magni stack for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Etymotic EVO

March