Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KinkyJohn posted:

Is it a bad idea to get wasted before I put together my new system?

Nope :getin:

PC Building Megathread - Is it a bad idea to get wasted before I put together my new system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

KinkyJohn posted:

Gotta drink a ritual beer while you build to honor the machine's spirit

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

KinkyJohn posted:

I have never built a computer without being at least a little bit drunk.

They usually never work on the first try.

No this is unrelated.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

KinkyJohn posted:

Did mine high and the worst that came from it was losing the m.2 screw for my NVME HD

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Just don't cut yourself somehow on the motherboard. Then you're golden.

(I was sober when this happened. I still don't know how I managed to do that.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I cut myself on my last build and I also was sober. If I did it drunk I’d probably be dead.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Fallom posted:

I cut myself on my last build and I also was sober. If I did it drunk I’d probably be dead.

Back in the good old days before cases had rolled edges, if you didn't lose a pint of your own blood in the process of building a PC, you didn't do it right. :bahgawd:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

I/O plate. They're typically sharp as gently caress. Some manufactures include a "NOT SHARP I/O PLATE" as part of their marketing.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I/O plate. They're typically sharp as gently caress. Some manufactures include a "NOT SHARP I/O PLATE" as part of their marketing.
It was from one of the edges of the heatsink, I was trying to wedge a fan that I should have put in earlier above it I think? The mobo is a B450 Tomahawk Max so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. :v:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
PSU bleeder here.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Stroop There It Is posted:

Cases are better than they used to be, but new builds still require blood sacrifice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Who has a not sharp plate? That's incredible. I've cut myself every time on the I/O plate typically because I forget to install it or otherwise gently caress it up

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
So I've managed to finally get a new GPU, and need to start building around it from scratch.
What I dont know is what CPU will power this: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1606116634
I'm assuming the CPU market isnt pure bot fuckery like GPU is at the moment?

This is what I've got so far:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CHKKdD

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
(Already Bought) Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Red Dragon OC Video Card ($1119.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $603.94

Edit: This box is 100% for gaming, i have other stuff for storage and work

tyrelhill fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 5, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Who has a not sharp plate? That's incredible. I've cut myself every time on the I/O plate typically because I forget to install it or otherwise gently caress it up

Some newer ASUS Boards. Not sure who else.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Fancy mobos nowdays have the plate integrated

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So for the b550 aorus elite v2 I see the latest bios version is F13a (which probably means alpha?) And it features the AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 update which helps with 5600x performance. gently caress but it's not a stable release right? So I don't want to install some alpha poo poo because I'm probably going to be too lazy to want to flash the bios ever again

But am I going to be missing out on those fabled 5600x performance gains if I just flash to F12 or should I wait for a later bios update?

I think I'm going to sober up before I build this poo poo. Back in my day you only had to put the parts together and it (hopefully) worked, none of this flashy bios shite

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

tyrelhill posted:

I'm assuming the CPU market isnt pure bot fuckery like GPU is at the moment?

Edit: This box is 100% for gaming, i have other stuff for storage and work

You assume wrongly! But it's not quite as crazy as the GPU market. Ideally you want a Ryzen 5600x, but a 3600 or 3700 would also be good options if you can wait for the former to come in stock.

KinkyJohn posted:

I think I'm going to sober up before I build this poo poo. Back in my day you only had to put the parts together and it (hopefully) worked, none of this flashy bios shite

1. Yes do that.
2. Definitely not true.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

You assume wrongly! But it's not quite as crazy as the GPU market. Ideally you want a Ryzen 5600x, but a 3600 or 3700 would also be good options if you can wait for the former to come in stock.

I just looked at my local Microcenter and they have some Ryzen 5 5600x in stock so I think i am gonna pick one of those up. I'll probably pick up my motherboard there too so they can help me get the BIOS right with the new chipsets...

Thanks!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Would there be any major concerns in terms of reduced performance by getting a M.2 PCI-E card, and to stick it into the second 16x PCI-E 3.0 slot I have?

I only have 1 M.2 slot on my mobo and I want to add another

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Would there be any major concerns in terms of reduced performance by getting a M.2 PCI-E card, and to stick it into the second 16x PCI-E 3.0 slot I have?

Is there a reason you don't want to just run additional 2.5" SSDs? The cost would be so much cheaper.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a reason you don't want to just run additional 2.5" SSDs? The cost would be so much cheaper.

Speed, mostly. I guess I could just get a regular SSD I suppose.

Also I was looking at 2TB which seems about $10 cheaper for a 2.5"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Speed, mostly. I guess I could just get a regular SSD I suppose.

Also I was looking at 2TB which seems about $10 cheaper for a 2.5"

Ignoring the cost of the nvme adapter, sure.

For nearly all use cases a 2.5” vs an Nvme won’t matter too much.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Can someone recommend me a good semi-modular 850w to 900w PSU? Gonna be doing some slight upgrades and this is one that's needed. Also, is there any relevance to the rankings system with bronze, silver, gold, platinum besides efficiency if I recall? If I can keep it below $150(preference is for $110) even better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

doomrider7 posted:

Can someone recommend me a good semi-modular 850w to 900w PSU? Gonna be doing some slight upgrades and this is one that's needed. Also, is there any relevance to the rankings system with bronze, silver, gold, platinum besides efficiency if I recall? If I can keep it below $150(preference is for $110) even better.
I am using a Corsair RMx 850 right now and it works fine. It’s one of the better rated PSUs.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am using a Corsair RMx 850 right now and it works fine. It’s one of the better rated PSUs.

Forgot to add that it needs to be semi-modular. Reason being that most of the time I've had issues with full modular ones where they don't post due to the CPU not getting power or something to that effect since they don't have the cable for it and I need to buy one. That said, I'll definetly keep this one in mind.

Also, they have the i9 10900k for $445 at my local Microcenter and while I know the Ryzen's are doing better this Gen, my old rig ran an i7 7700k which was upgraded from an i7 4790k with no need for any Windows reinstall hence my preference to the Intel's. Thoughts?

Found these two PSU's and want to know which one to go with.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 5, 2021

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Sketch as gently caress. No description, no image of the product, and seller has only one sales feedback that's negative and sketchy.

Crawl SA Mart/ r/hardwareswap for good used deals.

Yeah that's what I was assuming, but still had to ask haha, times are tough out here. But hot drat, I'm seeing a bunch of them being sold for $150 on hardwareswap. Thanks! :toot:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

doomrider7 posted:

Also, they have the i9 10900k for $445 at my local Microcenter and while I know the Ryzen's are doing better this Gen, my old rig ran an i7 7700k which was upgraded from an i7 4790k with no need for any Windows reinstall hence my preference to the Intel's. Thoughts?

This seems an arbitrary and dumb reason to not choose a processor. It's possible to change the motherboard and cpu on an AMD based system without having to reinstall windows too.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Butterfly Valley posted:

This seems an arbitrary and dumb reason to not choose a processor. It's possible to change the motherboard and cpu on an AMD based system without having to reinstall windows too.

Possibly, but I've heard so much mixed stuff in terms of how to go about doing things that I'd rather not risk it and gently caress my stuff up so I went with the i9 over the Ryzen. It helps that the prices and performances are pretty much identical at this point with a slight edge going for the Ryzen. I dunno, I just want to gut my current build and swap out the mobo and cpu and start it without running into any issues like I did last time. I was also able to score a REALLY good mobo for it on sale so I'm happy with it. I also went with the Seasonic over the EVGA since it was a Gold. This does put some of my other upgrade plans on hold, but I can live with that.

Edit: Yes I'm aware it's arbitrary and kind of dumb, but I have read of people running into SOME issues involving crashes and for that I'd rather just keep Intel where BIOS should effectively be the same if not similar.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 6, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Just reinstall.

If you’re rocking a 5+ year old windows install it’s probably full of dumb junk and hosed up.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Minor limitation is that the second x16 slot runs at x4 speed, which is fine for NVMe, but if you use any of the x1 slots then that also drops to x1 speed. Manual page 29.

doomrider7 posted:

Forgot to add that it needs to be semi-modular. Reason being that most of the time I've had issues with full modular ones where they don't post due to the CPU not getting power or something to that effect since they don't have the cable for it and I need to buy one. That said, I'll definetly keep this one in mind.

What kind of motherboards have you used, since all modular PSUs come with the required cables.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Just reinstall.

If you’re rocking a 5+ year old windows install it’s probably full of dumb junk and hosed up.

I like my dumb junk and over the top amount of open tabs on my browsers along with other miscellaneous. It's...comforting.

Saukkis posted:

Minor limitation is that the second x16 slot runs at x4 speed, which is fine for NVMe, but if you use any of the x1 slots then that also drops to x1 speed. Manual page 29.

What kind of motherboards have you used, since all modular PSUs come with the required cables.

I already bought one so it's fine, but it was a PSU issue more than anything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

change my name posted:

Did mine high and the worst that came from it was losing the m.2 screw for my NVME HD

High, drunk, sober, doesn’t matter. You’re losing at least one M2 screw.

As for the i9, I like mine just fine. I could probably stand to cool it better but it’s served me well so far, not like I can tell a qualitative difference between that and my i7-9700 in my last computer though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As for the i9, I like mine just fine. I could probably stand to cool it better but it’s served me well so far, not like I can tell a qualitative difference between that and my i7-9700 in my last computer though.

This is kind of how I feel about the Ryzen 7 5800x and the i9 10900k. The margins are so close(granted in slight favor of AMD), that I'd rather stick with what I know I can rebuild my stuff around and not lose my beloved accumulated junk.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh yeah? Not on meth, smart guy!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

just make a different kind of screw fit

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

taqueso posted:

just make a different kind of screw fit

I shoved an m3 screw in there with a spacer, hasn't crapped out yet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Oh yeah? Not on meth, smart guy!

I would think on meth you’d lose more of them with greater speed and enthusiasm.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm looking to upgrade my case fans, the ones that came with it just don't move all that much air. I hear good things about the Arctic A12/A14 PWM - not quite as good as Noctua but a fraction of the price.

Should I buy the A14 or the airflow optimized one? Not sure if it's like Noctua where the A12/A14 are basically better at everything or if I should seek out the airflow optimized ones (which I believe are F14).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So my Hyper 212 Black Edition cooler is being delivered on Tuesday rather than today.

Is it a bad idea to use the Hyper 212 EVO from my 9 year old build and replace it when the new one arrives on Tuesday? Are the mounting brackets the same? Old build is Intel, new one is AMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So my Hyper 212 Black Edition cooler is being delivered on Tuesday rather than today.

Is it a bad idea to use the Hyper 212 EVO from my 9 year old build and replace it when the new one arrives on Tuesday? Are the mounting brackets the same? Old build is Intel, new one is AMD.

AM4 needs a different mounting bracket, otherwise it would be fine, though unless your case has access to the back of the socket, changing coolers requires removing the whole mobo.