Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Welcome to PUTIGULAG.

They really underlined how zeroest of zero fucks they give about some lol international opinions, sanctions or else; about the people of this country.
I am so fuckign angry god im scared to cross the line myself because there is only one way left. I'm in disbelief of how high a lovely person can climb in this country, how much decency they lack, also how awful OMON and the rest of pigs are that, pigs. Though it's an insult to these animals, police are savage pithecanthropes that only understand raw power. The whole country is just a big omerta in any govt facility, organisation and company. People go to state jobs just to corrupt their way to a quick buck and to gtfo outta here as fast as they can and live in thai renting their 2, 3, 4 flats in Moscow.
The difference between Russia and Spain, where I lived for a decent third of my life is so dramatic I can't believe people here are same species as the rest of the planet. I stopped saying that I am russian, it sounds like an insult seeing what people here do and how our country appears to 'general outside'. And I know for sure that usual and normal people are very warm and nice and welcoming and have that weird 'mysterious russian soul' as people were saying back in the day. But it's crushing me hearing and reading about how a loving lot of same decent people think that protesters not got beaten enough, that Navalny should get a death sentence for instigating violence!
I mean, I understand that's state propaganda does its job at turning people hostile between each other so it will be easier to control everyone. I understand it, and the understanding brings way more pain now.
Truly, ignorance is bliss.

Sorry for venting, it's hard to not vent somewhere.

Thanks for your support peeps, maybe one day all nations will live freely and peacefully, together or not. I've lost track and don't have mental capacity to check how Ukraine is doing, but hope they are okay with their new president. He seemed like an okay guy, comedy career aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Erulisse posted:

But it's crushing me hearing and reading about how a loving lot of same decent people think that protesters not got beaten enough, that Navalny should get a death sentence for instigating violence!
Had a doozy of a conversation on Telegram last night. I mean, it SEEMS like you could destroy all the misconceptions one by one with easily searchable counter-examples, but drat, it's such a tangled ol' clump, you counter one bs and hear three more in return, how are you supposed to remain cool long enough? Another person I'm never discussing a word of politics with ever again (that's almost everyone at this point)

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Politics isn’t a trick. Building power is hard work that needs to be done over a long period of time. The reason why Russians (even now!) are skeptical of the protestors is because the liberals spent the last 30 years alienating them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

woodenchicken posted:

Had a doozy of a conversation on Telegram last night. I mean, it SEEMS like you could destroy all the misconceptions one by one with easily searchable counter-examples, but drat, it's such a tangled ol' clump, you counter one bs and hear three more in return, how are you supposed to remain cool long enough? Another person I'm never discussing a word of politics with ever again (that's almost everyone at this point)

I just had an exhausting 2.5 hour chat about politics, and I definitely can empathise. If you're losing your cool and keep thinking about it long after the argument, it is better to take a break from face-to-face debates. Just remember that a single random person barely has any influence on anything, including me and you. However, if you can find some organisation where you live that is dedicated to political literacy, I'd urge you to help them any way you can instead of wasting your time on trying to make your grandma denounce Stalin or whatever. Only do the latter if you both are having fun, I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Paladinus posted:

Just remember that a single random person barely has any influence on anything, including me and you.

It's fun when it's a relative.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

:sever: but you know how the slavs roll

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I almost (novi)choked when Brown Moses started talking in the morning radio news.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Nenonen posted:

I almost (novi)choked when Brown Moses started talking in the morning radio news.

Was he in YLE news? Just read news from app and wasn't sure if it was interviewed by YLE or just recap from someone else.
Still it was weird to read about Brown Moses from YLE.

Looks like there's only finnish article up for now.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11757343

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, Yle radio news today. It's so strange to hear in national radio the voice of someone I know better in written form from a gay dead comedy forum!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Captain Kosmos posted:

Was he in YLE news? Just read news from app and wasn't sure if it was interviewed by YLE or just recap from someone else.
Still it was weird to read about Brown Moses from YLE.

Looks like there's only finnish article up for now.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11757343
Our Finnish member, Veli-Pekka Kivikamki did loads of press for the Finnish version of We Are Bellingcat, so there's a bunch of articles coming out today for release
https://www.kansanuutiset.fi/artikkeli/4429415-bellingcatin-perustaja-hakeltyi-tajutessaan-etta-tiesi-enemman-kuin-paattajat
https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli...54594#gs.sl98eu
https://www.is.fi/digitoday/art-2000007780856.html
https://www.is.fi/digitoday/art-2000007780858.html
https://www.aamulehti.fi/uutiset/art-2000007781524.html?share=64bf9f8d08a666afe33417ee2920b4fc

We've even got a Russian translation coming out later this year, probably going to add an extra chapter for that on the FSB poisonings, assuming it doesn't immediately get banned. I've been doing 3 or 4 media appearances, interviews, and podcasts every day for the last two weeks, so hopefully someone buys it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/gruppa_voina/status/1357195715156602890
https://twitter.com/gruppa_voina/status/1357236313834070017

Goes without saying that a lot of protestors were arrested for breaking the COVID social distancing rules

Bald guy at the end is Sergei Smirnov, editor-in-chief of Mediazona, best russian media about political cases and protests, who was detained for 25 days for an absurd retweet

https://twitter.com/Marielle_W_/status/1356992117034352640

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

fatherboxx posted:

Bald guy at the end is Sergei Smirnov, editor-in-chief of Mediazona, best russian media about political cases and protests, who was detained for 25 days for an absurd retweet

Meanwhile the cumfuck "liberal" urbanist varlamov (utter literal piece of poo poo prostitute) that actually tweeted agitating people to go to protests is, as usual, chilling out in the 'relative' freedom that is left in putlerland.
Guess it's good to be a paid bitch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Erulisse posted:

Meanwhile the cumfuck "liberal" urbanist varlamov (utter literal piece of poo poo prostitute) that actually tweeted agitating people to go to protests is, as usual, chilling out in the 'relative' freedom that is left in putlerland.
Guess it's good to be a paid bitch

I don't follow him closely, why exactly is it bad that he's not arrested?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1357377484266692611?s=20

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

No doubt the man was covertly poisoned by the agents of American homosexual ideology in order to frame Putin. But I see right through you, fashisti.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Our Finnish member, Veli-Pekka Kivikamki did loads of press for the Finnish version of We Are Bellingcat, so there's a bunch of articles coming out today for release
https://www.kansanuutiset.fi/artikkeli/4429415-bellingcatin-perustaja-hakeltyi-tajutessaan-etta-tiesi-enemman-kuin-paattajat
https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli...54594#gs.sl98eu
https://www.is.fi/digitoday/art-2000007780856.html
https://www.is.fi/digitoday/art-2000007780858.html
https://www.aamulehti.fi/uutiset/art-2000007781524.html?share=64bf9f8d08a666afe33417ee2920b4fc

We've even got a Russian translation coming out later this year, probably going to add an extra chapter for that on the FSB poisonings, assuming it doesn't immediately get banned. I've been doing 3 or 4 media appearances, interviews, and podcasts every day for the last two weeks, so hopefully someone buys it.

Thanks for those links and good that you are taking swing at conspiracy theories, just earlier send message to YLE that they should do fact checking and monitor their twitter account, even though trolling and fact checking idiots there is pretty much only reason I'm in Twitter.

If there's going to be audiobook version I could listen to it, hardcore dyslexic so reading isn't my thing.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Captain Kosmos posted:

Thanks for those links and good that you are taking swing at conspiracy theories, just earlier send message to YLE that they should do fact checking and monitor their twitter account, even though trolling and fact checking idiots there is pretty much only reason I'm in Twitter.

If there's going to be audiobook version I could listen to it, hardcore dyslexic so reading isn't my thing.

It might be on Audible, although I'm not sure how different publishing regions are treated as its only officially out in the UK and Finland.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

It might be on Audible, although I'm not sure how different publishing regions are treated as its only officially out in the UK and Finland.

Checked it out and looks like there's even finnish audiobook coming out from BookBeat. Have to check one of them out.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Paladinus posted:

I don't follow him closely, why exactly is it bad that he's not arrested?

It's not bad. gently caress police.
It just again reinforces the fact that he is a paid bitch of sobyanin and something else might be happening behind the curtains (sobyanin-mishustin-PM post-coronavirus actions-putins reaction to sobyanin trying to take over coronavirus efforts and "talking before putin allowed him to").
Every stupid degenerate city-building 'idea' of moscow in last 6-8 years happened after varlamov started posting about it. Its a personal hate on him that is backed by how he gets out of even extremely hot situations while other people who are genuinely working toward good causes suffer. Like, a vivid example of injustice. Personal "Bryansk-Sever" of sorts.
Its separating the unity of people who are opposing. Like Kseniya Sobchak joined the elections for presidency right next day after she visited putler. It was obvious that she was trying to attract a % of Navalny electorate and now has way more freedom with her news company and freedom of posting on socials.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Russian embassy in Prague is currently situatued at Boris Nemtsov Square, near Anna Politkovskaya Promenade and now they added

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Russian embassy in Prague is currently situatued at Boris Nemtsov Square, near Anna Politkovskaya Promenade and now they added

Sadly, then it turned out they own another building in Prague and use that for their official address. But yeah, there was some effort to troll the Russian regime.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Word on the street is one Michael Carpenter is the next American ambassador to Poland. Carpenter was the managing director for the Biden campaign and Russian affairs chief on Obama’s National Sec Council, but best of all, he’s gay, married and has two children :allears:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

If pis was in power in Warsaw, they’d rename the street next to US embassy “the gay doo doo rear end street”

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Good thread on the water crisis in Crimea:
https://twitter.com/MJ_Cruickshank/status/1357696266298421248?s=19

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ah yeah the Caspian report dude did a video on the water situation recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqq8clIceys

I love how russia is crying that this is technically illegal.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

How much surface water storage does Crimea have? Looking as those reservoirs they seem very small and I find it unbelievable that Russia didn't do something about this much sooner and with more urgency.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Does Russia have the technical ability to transfer water/build enough desalinization plants to make up for the deficit? I guess what I'm asking is, was this not addressed earlier due to a lack of political will, or is it beyond their technical/financial ability to address this issue?

2020 has been so bleak, I am convinced this will be their excuse to annex their way to the Dnipro.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigRoman posted:

Does Russia have the technical ability to transfer water/build enough desalinization plants to make up for the deficit? I guess what I'm asking is, was this not addressed earlier due to a lack of political will, or is it beyond their technical/financial ability to address this issue?

2020 has been so bleak, I am convinced this will be their excuse to annex their way to the Dnipro.

Against all odds, they've managed to build the bridge, which many said was simply impossible. In general, when it comes to projects tied to the country's prestige, Russia from time to time gets it together and just barely doesn't blow it. Sticking it to Ukraine by going 'we don't even need your water anymore' is exactly that type of thing. Remains to be seen of course, but my prediction is they'll pour an insane amount of money into the problem to solve it short term, and the same thing will repeat in a year or two, when the first solution fails for whatever reason.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Sochi Olympics $50 000 000 000
Formula 1 Grand Prix $1 000 000 000
Water to Crimea $5 000 000 000
Palace $1 300 000 000
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

For national prestige there is a never a price ceiling.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

BigRoman posted:

build enough desalinization plants to make up for the deficit?
The Caspian Report video said no and the fact that Crimea is under sanction means international firms wouldn't risk taking up contracts there either. According to wikipedia there are no desalination plants in Russia although there is one in Kazakhstan

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Poland ran a wargames against invasion from the east including (not yet delivered) F-35s and according to their simulation Poland loving lost. SAD!

In Belarus news, the Russian embassy is now in the middle of a ridiculous internet slapfight on instagram with a BY national historic museum over Tadeusz Kostushko. This gotten big enough that Luka's foreign affairs issued a statement that we don't need anyone's approval to decide who our heroes are and basically gently caress off. Everyone thought it will be the end of it, yet the RU embassy persists with their shitposts and it will be loving hilarious if somesing serious comes out of it :D

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Putin should tell Crimeans to evaporate drinking water from their own piss. Maybe some kind of samovar sized distillery, you pee in one end and clean water comes out of the tap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Putin should tell Crimeans to evaporate drinking water from their own piss. Maybe some kind of samovar sized distillery, you pee in one end and clean water comes out of the tap.

"You've worn a samovar-suit before?"
"No."
"Your suit is fitted in the Tartar fashion. Who told you how to do that?" (Could he be... the Blyat Haderach?)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

"You've worn a samovar-suit before?"
"No."
"Your suit is fitted in the Tartar fashion. Who told you how to do that?" (Could he be... the Blyat Haderach?)

Pictured: Putin's palace at the Black Sea

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Poland ran a wargames against invasion from the east including (not yet delivered) F-35s and according to their simulation Poland loving lost. SAD!

In Belarus news, the Russian embassy is now in the middle of a ridiculous internet slapfight on instagram with a BY national historic museum over Tadeusz Kostushko. This gotten big enough that Luka's foreign affairs issued a statement that we don't need anyone's approval to decide who our heroes are and basically gently caress off. Everyone thought it will be the end of it, yet the RU embassy persists with their shitposts and it will be loving hilarious if somesing serious comes out of it :D

Not only did Poland loose, it took just 4 days for Warsaw to be taken and 5 days for the country to fall, which is much worse than even 1939.

Now, I will say this exercise was organized at the Art of War academy in Warsaw, which happens to be my alma mater. It’s been a few years since I was there, but the level of military studies and tools used for simulations back then was super dire.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You posted ahead of me, but stillsuits! :D

for added hilarity, send Medvedev there with a message "Sorry, no water but you hand on there"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Not only did Poland loose, it took just 4 days for Warsaw to be taken and 5 days for the country to fall, which is much worse than even 1939.

Now, I will say this exercise was organized at the Art of War academy in Warsaw, which happens to be my alma mater. It’s been a few years since I was there, but the level of military studies and tools used for simulations back then was super dire.

Ah, I was gonna say " is there any insider info on the procedure?" and there you go. Well, at least try? This was super disappointing considering you are the only member of NATO who actually spend the mandated 2% of GDP on defense. Honestly don't know what to say. One option is to buy S-400 from russia but they will have a backdoor to disable the system when a russian plane on radar, I honestly don't know, you aught to figure this out fast

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Don't worry, WOT will save us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Ah, I was gonna say " is there any insider info on the procedure?" and there you go. Well, at least try? This was super disappointing considering you are the only member of NATO who actually spend the mandated 2% of GDP on defense. Honestly don't know what to say. One option is to buy S-400 from russia but they will have a backdoor to disable the system when a russian plane on radar, I honestly don't know, you aught to figure this out fast

I can try, but bare in mind I wasn’t there. These exercises are played out purely on a strategic level without the tactical component. This means there are no actual ops going on on the ground, or red and blue teams or anything like that - it’s just the commanders sitting in a simulated war room, making phone calls and activating resources. Think if it as airliner pilot training in a simulator where two pilots are flying and the instructor is in the back with a command station and he’s basically playing ATC and controlling the weather, Traffic and so on. In my days, there wasn’t even any specialist software in use, a lot of this would be simulated in, I poo poo you not, interlinked powerpoint presentations.

With that in mind, I would assume there’s a scenario that’s playing out and simulating Russian actions, like a script, and if the right decisions are taken, some branch in the scenario is taken.

Now, the upside is we didn’t loose tactically. Polish forces might very well give SPETZNAZ a bloody nose here and there. They might win in some air battles. Our tanks can possibly withstand direct hits - this exercise doesn’t tell us anything about that aspect, this is trained in field conditions. These exercises are all about procedure, legality and chain of command.

Sadly, what it does tell us is that the army is institutionally unable to function in combat operations. The chain of command is probably immediately broken. No back up systems are in place for communications and logistics. Soldiers don’t know which part of the front line to go to because no one knows who is giving orders - that sort of stuff.

That’s the best I can suss out, but I also might be pulling this out of my rear end.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 6, 2021