Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1357796064670212098?s=20

lol changing traffic light patterns

they are utterly scared to death of unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

I like didn't think I'd need to argue that giving corporations a vehicle to pressgang people they don't want to pay a real wage might be a bad thing in CSPAM in TYOOL 2021 but here we are

Hope you like getting a comped ticket to an AWS computertoucher conference in vegas, passing out at the after party, and waking up chained to a workstation in the middle of the desert

No one thinks it's a good thing dude

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Scratches “for a good time call (phone number) on the bathroom stall”

“Hello friend...do you know how much the average union dues are? You could buy a ps5 and 2 games with that money!”

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

all that hard work becoming a monopoly will be for nothing if the workers unite and realize they can shut down 99% of online commerce with a strike. amazon is very profitable what if they demanded $30 an hour we might have to cut profit in half :ohdear:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Property firm using psychological warfare on unhoused people in LA.
https://twitter.com/StreetWatchLA/status/1357767094541012992
They looped the Barney theme song blaring from a vacant building that people are sleeping next to.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

JesusIsTehCool posted:

They looped the Barney theme song blaring from a vacant building that people are sleeping next to.

gross. however i'm surprised the adjacent property owners aren't upset by the noise and lights... wonder if there's one pissed off enough to complain to a regulator or bring a nuisance claim (i assume those exist in the us?)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Rutibex posted:

all that hard work becoming a monopoly will be for nothing if the workers unite and realize they can shut down 99% of online commerce with a strike. amazon is very profitable what if they demanded $30 an hour we might have to cut profit in half :ohdear:

The accelerationist view on labour organisation. When there is only one boss the workers will see they have a common enemy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

gross. however i'm surprised the adjacent property owners aren't upset by the noise and lights... wonder if there's one pissed off enough to complain to a regulator or bring a nuisance claim (i assume those exist in the us?)

There are areas with noise and light ordinances but it's super varied so who knows. Plus if course this is only harming people that don't own property!!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

It's mostly vacant buildings in that area tbh. Like the building across the street used to house disabled people, no its vacant and disabled people sleep in front of it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
move over hanoi hannah, barney the dinosaur's here to show you how it's done

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JesusIsTehCool posted:

In Oakland they came out with one of those money shooting guns and tried to use it to lure people away from their tents

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Pretty wild that property developers are taking pages out of the guantanamo bay torture guide. Like, literally down to the same loving song.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currency-germany-password/police-seize-60-million-of-bitcoin-now-wheres-the-password-idUSKBN2A511T

quote:

Police seize $60 million of bitcoin! Now, where's the password?
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - German prosecutors have confiscated more than 50 million euros ($60 million) worth of bitcoin from a fraudster. There’s only one problem: they can’t unlock the money because he won’t give them the password.

The man was sentenced to jail and has since served his term, maintaining his silence throughout while police made repeated failed efforts to crack the code to access more than 1,700 bitcoin, said a prosecutor in the Bavarian town of Kempten.

“We asked him but he didn’t say,” prosecutor Sebastian Murer told Reuters on Friday. “Perhaps he doesn’t know.”

Bitcoin is stored on software known as a digital wallet that is secured through encryption. A password is used as a decryption key to open the wallet and access the bitcoin. When a password is lost the user cannot open the wallet.

The fraudster had been sentenced to more than two years in jail for covertly installing software on other computers to harness their power to “mine” or produce bitcoin.

When he went behind bars, his bitcoin stash would have been worth a fraction of the current value. The price of bitcoin has surged over the past year, hitting a record high of $42,000 in January. It was trading at $37,577 on Friday, according to cryptocurrency and blockchain website Coindesk.

:thunk:
it sounds like they actually haven't seized anything? lol they have taken the soul of the money, its money essence

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
He has a copy of the wallet.dat, for sure

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at the dumb prosecutor

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Sounds like a public performance of a copyrighted work to me.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

JesusIsTehCool posted:

eminent domain that poo poo and turn it into housing

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
They stopped playing the music last night, it got picked up by KTLA and ran on the 10:00 news. Feels like a win till you realized that those people are still out on the streets sleeping in front of an empty building.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

JesusIsTehCool posted:

They stopped playing the music last night, it got picked up by KTLA and ran on the 10:00 news.

did they make the abu ghraib comparison

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

i say swears online posted:

did they make the abu ghraib comparison

No lol. They did do some decent interviews with the people living out there and a Street Watch LA member.

If anyone ever wants to hear about the poo poo I encounter doing outreach with unhoused people in LA I would be happy to share. They are more just dystopia than cyberpunk and normally just depressing as gently caress.

JesusIsTehCool has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Feb 7, 2021

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

JesusIsTehCool posted:

No lol. They did do some decent interviews with the people living out there and a Street Watch LA member.

If anyone ever wants to hear about the poo poo I encounter doing outreach with unhoused people in LA I would be happy to share. They are more just dystopia than cyberpunk and normally just depressing as gently caress.

:justpost:

Please also share your suggestions for what can actually be done about the hoovervilles.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Yesterday day I went to the park to help a woman living there get her car moving again, it was out of gas and had a flat, figured easy simple goal. When I get there I am informed someone woke her and her partner up about 15 minutes before i got there by kicking them in the heads, accusing them of stealing walkie talkies and that they need to stay away from the apartment complex next door. Another unhoused man in the park tried to stop him and the guy started beating on him. Then a 4th diasabled unhoused person, with like those crutches that wrap around your lowwet arm tried to help. The assulter then beat the man with his own crutches breaking the plastic and putting a slight bend in the crutch. The assulter then got in his grey SUV and and left the park.

The unhoused people decided to call the cops, my outreach partner showed up and everything was pretty calm at the park so i left to get gas for the car. When i get back the paramedics haf showed up and the dude with the crutches is irrate at the fireman paramedic. According to crutches guy and my partner the paramedic was demissive of the man and was trying to convince him not to go to the hospital. By the time i arrived the fireman had changed his tune and was willing to take him, but the unhoused man was so pissed he wanted to file a complaint with a supervisor, was refusing to go to the hospital (even though I thought he should since he had a pretty nasty welt on his arm, and like this guy wasn't young or anything).

Then the loving police show up. They take statements and poo poo, and in general didn't do anything to bad. But then one of the unhoused people asked about footage from the cameras that are all over the park. One of the officer said they weren't going to be able to get that footage. I said that was absurd, why are the cameras there if you can't get the footage when a crime happens. I told them that if it was a family who was assulted in the park that footage would be on the news tonight. This apparently hurt the polices feelings and he felt the need to pull me aside and try to lecture me about disrespecting the police. Dude get beat with his own crutches but the real issue is I was his hurt feelings.

Meanwhile the guy on the crutches has escalated up 3 times and is now surrounded by fire men including the chief of the local station. None of them believe this guy over the word of their fellow fireman and just jerk him around.

I ended up having to call AAA to get the car towed to pep boys. We got new tires on the back and an oil change but the car need more work before it will be safe to get her back to Utah to her 16 year old son whose father just unexpectedly went to prison.

poo poo is never easy and always worae than you expect. Got home and tried to unwind, only to get a call from one of my unhoused friends that she found a 17 year old girl whose boyfriend left her on Century with nothing but what she had on her. My girlfriend got her a room at the motel 6 and she is taking a train back to St Louis tonight to live with her aunt... cause her mom died on Christmas day.

As far as solutions, idk. Like the issue is we have demonized the poor for so long in our country average people are convinced unhoused people are all violent mentally ill drug adict rapist. There are like a hundred solutions to getting people off the streets, but there is no political will because most people think homeless people deserve what they get and the would be happy if the government took them out to camps in the desert and killed them quietly.

Like the whole system is so hosed you can't just fix a piece of it. I joined Street Watch because they at least are fighting for things i believe in, universal housing, decimalization of poverty, and police/prison abolition. But I am not kidding myself, i expect everything to fall apart, the government to collapse, and lots of violence.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Like the whole system is so hosed you can't just fix a piece of it. I joined Street Watch because they at least are fighting for things i believe in, universal housing, decimalization of poverty, and police/prison abolition. But I am not kidding myself, i expect everything to fall apart, the government to collapse, and lots of violence.

Thank you for all least trying, without people like you people would have no hope at all.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Yesterday day I went to the park to help a woman living there get her car moving again, it was out of gas and had a flat, figured easy simple goal. When I get there I am informed someone woke her and her partner up about 15 minutes before i got there by kicking them in the heads, accusing them of stealing walkie talkies and that they need to stay away from the apartment complex next door. Another unhoused man in the park tried to stop him and the guy started beating on him. Then a 4th diasabled unhoused person, with like those crutches that wrap around your lowwet arm tried to help. The assulter then beat the man with his own crutches breaking the plastic and putting a slight bend in the crutch. The assulter then got in his grey SUV and and left the park.

The unhoused people decided to call the cops, my outreach partner showed up and everything was pretty calm at the park so i left to get gas for the car. When i get back the paramedics haf showed up and the dude with the crutches is irrate at the fireman paramedic. According to crutches guy and my partner the paramedic was demissive of the man and was trying to convince him not to go to the hospital. By the time i arrived the fireman had changed his tune and was willing to take him, but the unhoused man was so pissed he wanted to file a complaint with a supervisor, was refusing to go to the hospital (even though I thought he should since he had a pretty nasty welt on his arm, and like this guy wasn't young or anything).

Then the loving police show up. They take statements and poo poo, and in general didn't do anything to bad. But then one of the unhoused people asked about footage from the cameras that are all over the park. One of the officer said they weren't going to be able to get that footage. I said that was absurd, why are the cameras there if you can't get the footage when a crime happens. I told them that if it was a family who was assulted in the park that footage would be on the news tonight. This apparently hurt the polices feelings and he felt the need to pull me aside and try to lecture me about disrespecting the police. Dude get beat with his own crutches but the real issue is I was his hurt feelings.

Meanwhile the guy on the crutches has escalated up 3 times and is now surrounded by fire men including the chief of the local station. None of them believe this guy over the word of their fellow fireman and just jerk him around.

I ended up having to call AAA to get the car towed to pep boys. We got new tires on the back and an oil change but the car need more work before it will be safe to get her back to Utah to her 16 year old son whose father just unexpectedly went to prison.

poo poo is never easy and always worae than you expect. Got home and tried to unwind, only to get a call from one of my unhoused friends that she found a 17 year old girl whose boyfriend left her on Century with nothing but what she had on her. My girlfriend got her a room at the motel 6 and she is taking a train back to St Louis tonight to live with her aunt... cause her mom died on Christmas day.

As far as solutions, idk. Like the issue is we have demonized the poor for so long in our country average people are convinced unhoused people are all violent mentally ill drug adict rapist. There are like a hundred solutions to getting people off the streets, but there is no political will because most people think homeless people deserve what they get and the would be happy if the government took them out to camps in the desert and killed them quietly.

Man, you're a loving hero.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Zdzisław just got upgraded

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Apocalyptically cursed.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just a prank bro
https://twitter.com/SaycheeseDGTL/status/1358448004483739649?s=20

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
do you think his dying words were "like and subscribe"?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

:justpost:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Waking up to way, way too many of the people in my social circles being OK with the brutalization of the homeless this year was a real bucket of cold water for me. The people getting turned into the street right now are out of work service workers and gig economy uber drivers and poo poo who were perfectly able to hold down work and keep an apartment a year ago that just got one too many hits of bad luck this year, and I figured homelessness creeping up the economic ladder would wake people up that this poo poo is not a moral failing. Except that's not what happened and a few of the people I know have actually gotten more accepting of random and cop violence against the homeless as the number of people living outside has exploded here.

And all I can do is :staredog: at them and go, "What the gently caress do you think is the endgame here when you're not able to give any more of your blood for a billionaire's profit margin?"

Just totally lacking in basic human empathy or even the ability to project forward into the future and see the situation of the homeless as something that could happen to a lot of loving people including them if the economy gets bad enough and/or if they just get a run of bad luck personally. Unable to connect their own need for government help like healthcare or schools to the needs that other people have to be supported by the community while they unfuck their lives.

Dunno man, the anti-poor people propaganda in this country is so loving strong that I feel like mass deprivation is going to be a prerequisite for most people putting 2 and 2 together on this.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Oldest Man posted:

Waking up to way, way too many of the people in my social circles being OK with the brutalization of the homeless this year was a real bucket of cold water for me. The people getting turned into the street right now are out of work service workers and gig economy uber drivers and poo poo who were perfectly able to hold down work and keep an apartment a year ago that just got one too many hits of bad luck this year, and I figured homelessness creeping up the economic ladder would wake people up that this poo poo is not a moral failing. Except that's not what happened and a few of the people I know have actually gotten more accepting of random and cop violence against the homeless as the number of people living outside has exploded here.

And all I can do is :staredog: at them and go, "What the gently caress do you think is the endgame here when you're not able to give any more of your blood for a billionaire's profit margin?"

Just totally lacking in basic human empathy or even the ability to project forward into the future and see the situation of the homeless as something that could happen to a lot of loving people including them if the economy gets bad enough and/or if they just get a run of bad luck personally. Unable to connect their own need for government help like healthcare or schools to the needs that other people have to be supported by the community while they unfuck their lives.

Dunno man, the anti-poor people propaganda in this country is so loving strong that I feel like mass deprivation is going to be a prerequisite for most people putting 2 and 2 together on this.

Empathy isn't real, it's just a thing people say they have so they know what makes them different from the bad people without needing any painful self-reflection.

Understanding what will happen in the future is likewise scary and painful. It'll get better.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Delta-Wye posted:

do you think his dying words were "like and subscribe"?

I sure hope so.

Wow, after those walls of text about public servants abusing the extra-vulnerable, I thought this was the Cool Zone thread.
:(

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AnimeSerbia/status/1358517099187027973?s=20

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

people's brains just don't work the way they ought to

when you show people facts they don't want to believe they double down on bullshit they're more comfortable with

it's counterintuitive, but qanon believers tend to be higher educated and more traditionally successful than average. they aren't all dumb hick suckers

they absolutely should know better, but they stick with fairytale nonsense because it makes them feel good

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rhesus Pieces posted:

people's brains just don't work the way they ought to

when you show people facts they don't want to believe they double down on bullshit they're more comfortable with

it's counterintuitive, but qanon believers tend to be higher educated and more traditionally successful than average. they aren't all dumb hick suckers

they absolutely should know better, but they stick with fairytale nonsense because it makes them feel good

The most upsetting thing about Qanon is HOW VERY loving CLOSE TO THE COMPLETE TRUTH THEY ARE!
But somehow, the obviously false and already-disproven parts of it are the ones they're most stuck on.

An episode of either Boonta Vista or Low Society (reasonably sure it was Boonta Vista) cited an English researcher who found that both Qanon and Russiagate are psyops hatched and perpetrated by the FBI. It makes perfect sense.
Doesn't make me feel good, but it makes absolutely perfect goddamn sense.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao he was one of those "[prank] IN THE HOOD" racist rear end guys too

good riddance

edit: oh no thats a different fake robbery youtube prankster apparently. who is sadly still alive :(

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
the only thing that will stop a bad youtuber with a camera is a good man with a gun.