Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Sidenote for anyone wanting to do this but not in a goddamn box truck. You can buy used ambulances on ebay that you just have to strip the running light and siren off of and they are fully road legal.

You get massive maintenance records, a fully integrated and powered electrical system with batteries and inverters for power along with cutoff switches. A bench seat you can easily rip off and convert to a twin bed. 3 points of egress. A big old captains chair you can keep or toss. Keep the cabinets or rip them out but they are great for storage. If it's a vanbulance it's not a massive bitch to backup but will be smaller without the side panel storage. If it's a type 3 box truck you'll have storage for days and the interior is big. Come with 240 volt inputs for stationary charging

Bad side. The type 3 will suck down gas and typically gets like 8 to 10mpg many are diesel. They suck poo poo to backup, and the suspension is stiff due to the weight of the box. Tires will be a shitload when they need replaced and you need 4 on the back of a type 3.

Almost all of them will be 200k or more miles of hard long distance miles. But by god they will be running.

Quick glance in ebay literally had one 3 hours away from me for 4 grand. And a type 3 at 9grand that I legit would get if I was doing a mobile home. Like these things are definitely what I'd do instead of an rv for traveling because besides needing bathrooms they'd be easier and cheaper to fix with less proprietary parts (everything's based off ford or gm fleet trucks with a box dropped on it instead of a bed) they largely aren't filled with garbage you don't need and are more efficient.

Buy an ambulance not a box truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Rytheric posted:

This was kind of a contrivance. But there was a point in time when I was a kid where I was so skeptical that I wasn't sure I believed that I had bones. Then in like the 8th grade I got stabbed on the school bus and saw my bones moving around my knock and I was like whelp they exist and omg this is so cool. Its not often one gets to be that intimate with themselves.
:eyepop:
are we just ignoring this post or

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was about to ask what Rytheric's alternate hypothesis to "humans have bones" was

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Antivehicular posted:

I was about to ask what Rytheric's alternate hypothesis to "humans have bones" was

Homo Sapiens de Filet

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Antivehicular posted:

I think this was the part of my childhood where I was questioning the merits of reality itself. Like how do you know reality is real. What are thoughts/where do they come from. What about the duality/is my mind a separate entity and my body just a vessel or is my body an extension of my mind. Are other people real or is this just all just a vision/predetermined. I just wasn't taking things at face value or trusting in whatever was told to me at the time.

I read a lot of philosophy in my youth and tried to make sense of it all with a healthy grain of skeptism.

Now I ponder random things like can I create a circuit if I get stranded in the woods via wild potatoes and salt water channels, and if so what would I power.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 6, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

how about you just get a BBQ smoker trailer instead? Already set up to be safe, and can handle a whole pig or other large animal if you kill one in the woods

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tunicate posted:

how about you just get a BBQ smoker trailer instead? Already set up to be safe, and can handle a whole pig or other large animal if you kill one in the woods

Or on the road

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
I guess I also question at this point the minimum requirement for consciousness. Is my mind just electrical current? And if so that has a lot of implications. Or is my mind just a centralized consensus of the will of my cells. If so then my cells are stupid. Is the world an evolving organism and we are just cells driven instinctively to building its organs such eyes via telescopes, ears via sounding equipment. Being its asexual reproduction by colonizing other planets and so on. Or eventually making it become carnivorous by consuming asteroids and other planets to feed it. One of the other issues is well we are really messing up the homeostasis qualification of a life form.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yeah there probably were better options but this was the best choice at the time and still to the present. My philosophy is typically work with what's available and adapt/modify from there.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They were pointing a radiometer at the ground and measuring the surface temperature of the ground. They were not detecting the air temperature around the airplane. It was also 1969 and their IR thermometer wasn't great, and it was super hard to get useful information out of the noise.
https://mountainscholar.org/bitstream/handle/10217/69269/0144_Bluebook.pdf

Good point. How about a personnel door opening inwards on the murphy porch. That way, when the porch is swung down, the door becomes part of the floor, but not a lethal trapdoor part of the floor.

For "pull-out porch" one of those liftgate things or something like that. Stores under the tail, is made of metal, and lets you use the rear door, too. Maybe shallow enough that you can still sit on the porch with the fire in front of you.

quote:

The results of the data analysis show three ore bearing regions to produce no definite detectable surface temperature difference... it must be concluded that uranium ore deposits do not lend themselves to surface thermal detection.

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 6, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

enough about the ore, back to the orbs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Rytheric posted:

This was kind of a contrivance. But there was a point in time when I was a kid where I was so skeptical that I wasn't sure I believed that I had bones. Then in like the 8th grade I got stabbed on the school bus and saw my bones moving around my knock and I was like whelp they exist and omg this is so cool. Its not often one gets to be that intimate with themselves.

EB Nullshit, is that you?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

The Voice of Labor posted:

This is a hill I will die on

Rytheric posted:

I think this was the part of my childhood where I was questioning the merits of reality itself. Like how do you know reality is real. What are thoughts/where do they come from. What about the duality/is my mind a separate entity and my body just a vessel or is my body an extension of my mind. Are other people real or is this just all just a vision/predetermined. I just wasn't taking things at face value or trusting in whatever was told to me at the time.

I read a lot of philosophy in my youth and tried to make sense of it all with a healthy grain of skeptism.

Now I ponder random things like can I create a circuit if I get stranded in the woods via wild potatoes and salt water channels, and if so what would I power.

You're in the Carolinas, right? You might need to rely on something easier to find than a potato

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Don't post poo poo like this, tia.

I am actually not advocating that he kill himself, I am suggesting that perhaps one should not consider engaging in potentially fatal activities just to see them fail.

edit: Rytheric clearly understood what I was getting at.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Lol

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

This is a hill I will die on

You're in the Carolinas, right? You might need to rely on something easier to find than a potato

Do tell.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mrmcd posted:

:vince:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

mrmcd posted:

What is this reference? Lol

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Aren't wild potatoes primarily a Central/South American thing? I know there's some in the southwestern states, but I don't know how far east they can grow
I don't know how much electrolyte a dandelion root has, but it is a root vegetable that should be easier to find in an emergency situation. This quandary requires further testing, or someone who knows botany...

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

Aren't wild potatoes primarily a Central/South American thing? I know there's some in the southwestern states, but I don't know how far east they can grow
I don't know how much electrolyte a dandelion root has, but it is a root vegetable that should be easier to find in an emergency situation. This quandary requires further testing, or someone who knows botany...

Wild potatoe is a broad term. I can walk 200 feet to the nearby lake and pull a wild potatoe out of the ground from the sagittaria family.

It's important to know where to find your potatoes. Lol

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 6, 2021

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Wild potatoe is a broad term. I can walk 200 feet to the nearby lake and pull a wild potatoe out of the ground from the sagittaria family.

It's important to know where to find your potatoes. Lol

Huh, Google says they're commonly called duck potatoes or swamp potatoes. You really have spent time on this

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

Huh, Google says they're commonly called duck potatoes or swamp potatoes. You really have spent time on this

I did have to look it up. I use to eat wild potatoes in west Virginia so I was no this isn't a South America thing, so I looked it up for the Carolinas, and was like oh I know that plant. Now I must steal them and grow them on the land of MurderHaus so that my guests will not be lacking in wild potatoes.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, I was riding up to Indiana to drill some site for solar panel farms when I was like, I think it is the responsibility of modern individuals to know how to harvest and use electricity akin to how we use fire, and I was like, but could I make electricity in the wilderness using salt water as the a conductor. Then I was like okay. I have a conductor, now how do I produce a current, and I was like well salt interacting with water to create salt water would create a potential right?

Of course with most anything someone has already thought of it, so I Googled if something related to that subject had popped up and sure enough there are a couple of companies trying to set up estuary power plants capitalizing on the influx of fresh water interacting with salt water. Kind of cool.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Why not grow cultivated potatoes? Let ducks eat their potatoes, we have human potatoes now.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Paladinus posted:

Why not grow cultivated potatoes? Let ducks eat their potatoes, we have human potatoes now.

I likely won't eat the wild potatoes, but the Strattera potatoe plant may help bolster the native ecosystem near the land of MurderHaus.

So another side story which is how I know of the Sagittaria plant and since I brought up the lake nearby. So the lake I had been living near has a man made ecological problem (go figure), but essentially we had a massive mosquito problem because they kept mowing too close to the lake and killing the plants that the minnow hide in so the minnow were confined to a small strip of shallow beach to avoid bigger fish instead of circling the whole lake. Minnow are important because they eat mosquito larvae and are prey for dragon fly nymphs who eat flies and mosquitos in adulthood. I was going to join the lake council in the area and do a whole ecological research project to examine the effects of reintroducing the plants, but apparently I told enough people that the managers of the private lake took note and stopped mowing so close. Still probably need to reintroduce the plants.

Anyway, so growing the plant on the land of MurderHaus next to the creek would actually be a good thing.

Edit to add more: so how I was going to conduct this research was to set up two aquariums one with native plants, minnow, and critters from the lake in a native walstad tank and another tank as a control using just pet store fish and plants. Then after establishing the baseline add the missing plant to see how everything reacted. If it worked well I would reintroduce the plant in a pond, then a quarantined section of the lake, and if that was favorable just let it regrow throughout the lake. Unfortunately that project was scrapped before I collected the native plants and such because I was in line to do a construction project in Antarctica. They gave that work to some people from north Dakota though. Ended up doing an aquaponics experiment instead to see how well I could grow rice with the minnow I had.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 6, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

you should grow some native fruit trees, I think paw paws are native to your area

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

This is what I see before bed at night. The fan I need to complete the cieling should be In soon(tm). Might finish the floor this weekend since it's suppose to get in the teens in Fahrenheit Sunday night.

This makes me want to make a firepit hottub.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Sidenote for anyone wanting to do this but not in a goddamn box truck. You can buy used ambulances on ebay that you just have to strip the running light and siren off of and they are fully road legal.

You get massive maintenance records, a fully integrated and powered electrical system with batteries and inverters for power along with cutoff switches. A bench seat you can easily rip off and convert to a twin bed. 3 points of egress. A big old captains chair you can keep or toss. Keep the cabinets or rip them out but they are great for storage. If it's a vanbulance it's not a massive bitch to backup but will be smaller without the side panel storage. If it's a type 3 box truck you'll have storage for days and the interior is big. Come with 240 volt inputs for stationary charging

Bad side. The type 3 will suck down gas and typically gets like 8 to 10mpg many are diesel. They suck poo poo to backup, and the suspension is stiff due to the weight of the box. Tires will be a shitload when they need replaced and you need 4 on the back of a type 3.

Almost all of them will be 200k or more miles of hard long distance miles. But by god they will be running.

Quick glance in ebay literally had one 3 hours away from me for 4 grand. And a type 3 at 9grand that I legit would get if I was doing a mobile home. Like these things are definitely what I'd do instead of an rv for traveling because besides needing bathrooms they'd be easier and cheaper to fix with less proprietary parts (everything's based off ford or gm fleet trucks with a box dropped on it instead of a bed) they largely aren't filled with garbage you don't need and are more efficient.

Certain Mercedes fleet vans are also very good. Come with 4WD and a bit newer for 8-12k.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Potential fancy fire pit ideas.

Fancy circle one. I think will go well with the sconces.

Nice one I can cook on or turn into an activity table when not deployed in fire mode.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

I don't know, they just lack the same character and aesthetic an empty 55 gallon drum radiates.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Turn your 55 gallon drum into a stove with this simple kit!

https://www.amazon.com/US-Stove-BSK...ps%2C195&sr=8-1

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Certain Mercedes fleet vans are also very good. Come with 4WD and a bit newer for 8-12k.

The draw of an ambulance is the electrical is all upgraded with a more powerful inverter with idle system set for power production and reduced engine wear and gas usage. Along with a built-in 240 input for stationary charging and use. And since they are built to defined known standards and have strict maintenance requirements you can know what your getting. Get a duramax engine and it won't die.

A little more money but cut out all that risky electrical stuff your kill yourself with if you do it wrong, and have built in storage inside and outside! :science:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if op intends to set up a commune of tiny farms, having an ambulance around to serve as a mobile clinic probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What kind of glass are you going to have in your french doors

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yah, in 1969, their direct-monitoring radiometer wasn't good enough so that the 1 degree difference could commercially be extracted from the data. I guarantee a 2000s-era IR thermometer and modern electronics could do that.

The Voice of Labor posted:

Oh right, sorry. Moving on.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So an idea just occurred to me, hopefully I didn't miss anyone else putting this out:
You install a Murphy porch, ... with a long metal arm (also called a fireplace crane, the kind of thing that people would use to hang kettles in a fireplace in long ago times) kinda like like this ...

This idea is very interesting. Is the crane inside or outside the box?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Spookydonut posted:

What kind of glass are you going to have in your french doors

Whatever the French doors from lowes come with.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rytheric posted:

Whatever the French doors from lowes come with.

So, shards after the first time the box flexes.

I would highly recommend getting some lexan sheets and cutting that to fit the doors at minimum if you can’t can’t get automotive safety glass panes to put in there.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

corgski posted:

So, shards after the first time the box flexes.

I would highly recommend getting some lexan sheets and cutting that to fit the doors at minimum if you can’t can’t get automotive safety glass panes to put in there.

I will likely change them out when they break. Was considering plexy glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yah, in 1969, their direct-monitoring radiometer wasn't good enough so that the 1 degree difference could commercially be extracted from the data. I guarantee a 2000s-era IR thermometer and modern electronics could do that.

Oh right, sorry. Moving on.

This idea is very interesting. Is the crane inside or outside the box?

I was thinking that the hinges would be on the outside of the uprights at the very rear of the truck