Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

marktheando posted:

It's funny how common the sentiment was, pre him doing big finish, that Eric Roberts was too big time now to do anything Doctor Who. It's like, people, he did A Talking Cat!?! after he was in The Dark Knight.

I've mentioned it before, but he gave an interview in DWM, and when the subject of his vast IMDB page came up, he explained that he and his wife are heavily into charity work, so he'll do roles in all these bit movies, then donate the pay to these charities. The interview even ended with an ask for donations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It made sense that because Roberts does such a huge amount of acting in so many projects, he wouldn't remember (what was from his perspective) a failed pilot for a relaunch of a British TV show he did twenty odd years ago. It's nice to see that he not only remembers, but enjoys the plot - Roberts seemed a little miscast in the movie, but in hindsight, that seems more like the writing and directing instead.

I've just finished Only the Monstrous, it started a little slow, but really picked up in parts 2 and 3.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
He also seems to be the type to take any role as long as it’s cool enough.

He’s in the music video for Mr Brightside, after all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Apropos of this conversation, I should get this at some point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd rather donate $10 to a charity than watch that cat flick so I'd guess his plan is working.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'd rather donate $10 to a charity than watch that cat flick so I'd guess his plan is working.

Eric Roberts apparently recorded all of his dialogue down the phone, in one take, in fifteen minutes. David DeCoteau basically makes movies in his house with random actors he knows as quickly as possible.

At least Big Finish got Roberts into an actual studio!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm finally watching the latest season, and I can't believe they ripped off the "it is broken, can you make it go" episode of TNG

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Off the Eric Roberts chat, Masterful is really loving good and worth the buy.

OldMemes posted:

Eric Roberts apparently recorded all of his dialogue down the phone, in one take, in fifteen minutes. David DeCoteau basically makes movies in his house with random actors he knows as quickly as possible.

At least Big Finish got Roberts into an actual studio!

Though I think the upcoming Master! is the first time he's recorded any of his lines with another cast member, like BF usually does.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Rhyno posted:

it's so awful and confusing, the cat on the cover isn't even the cat in the movie

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Nicholas Briggs always sounds so enthusiastic and excited in interviews, it's endearing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldMemes posted:

Nicholas Briggs always sounds so enthusiastic and excited in interviews, it's endearing.

He's a delight. I'll sit through terrible British morning show personalities just for him.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

He's a delight. I'll sit through terrible British morning show personalities just for him.

The behind the scenes interviews on the audios are worth listening to, mainly because he's just so excited to tell the listener how the production came together.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Spotted this in B&M a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure about that date…

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TinTower posted:

Spotted this in B&M a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure about that date…

There’s also a Remembrance of the Daleks set with Ace and an imperial Dalek, which they’ve got the date confused on! :eng101:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BF actors: "I love doing audio; you don't have to dress up! You can wear jeans and a t-shirt! No one cares!"
Miles Richardson: "I will wear a three piece suit, including pocket square, to recording."

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1357286493589536768?s=20

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I've been reading about the whole BBV video thing and its very confusing.
Anyway, just about to start the second War Doctor boxset, knowing nothing about the rest of the series, should be fun.

EDIT: Maybe "fun" is the wrong word. Just start and the bit with the Doctor remembering his pre-war days is bleak.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 4, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1357706023335833604?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love how inevitable that was. Big Finish must have been salivating at the thought of Rory having 2000 years' worth of adventures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rory is the 4th or 5th best companion of all time so I welcome this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Rory is the 4th or 5th best companion of all time so I welcome this.

50 pages of him sitting beside the Pandorica, 1 page of him lugging it from to a safe site when the place burned down.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Daleks work surprisingly well in audio form. I think its that whirrrrr that make while they move.

Onto boxset 2, and why do the War Doctor stories seem to ignore regeneration for Time Lord soldiers? The plot seems to regard injuries to Time Lords who get killed as fatal, and they've only plot deviced away why a character won't regenerate once so far.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 6, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

The Daleks work surprisingly well in audio form. I think its that whirrrrr that make while they move.

Onto boxset 2, and why do the War Doctor stories seem to ignore regeneration for Time Lord soldiers? The plot seems to regard injuries to Time Lords who get killed as fatal, and they've only plot deviced away why a character won't regenerate once so far.

Time Lords have always been able to be killed before the regeneration process kicks in. Example: The Castellan in "The Five Doctors". He's gunned down before he's taken to the (Not The) Mind Probe, and he doesn't regenerate.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

happyhippy posted:

50 pages of him sitting beside the Pandorica, 1 page of him lugging it from to a safe site when the place burned down.

1 page of him going to a printer to commission pamphlets which read "Dont trust Hitler: He's rubbish"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Time Lords have always been able to be killed before the regeneration process kicks in. Example: The Castellan in "The Five Doctors". He's gunned down before he's taken to the (Not The) Mind Probe, and he doesn't regenerate.

I just re-watched "The Deadly Assassin" the other day, so if anyone needs further proof of a story with numerous examples of Time Lords biting the dust without regenerating, there you go.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, I know regeneration is meant to be a traumatic process, and they're vulnerable before and after it. It's just like, in the War Doctor audios, there's a bit where a Time Lord gets shot by a Dalek, and they don't double tap him to prevent regeneration, which I thought stood out.

Regeneration is a great story device - not only since it always recasting, but also because there's so many interesting things you can do with it storywise (that aren't the Timeless Child).

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I just went back and watched the unearthly child, which was one we couldn't get when I was a kid. Whe n they got to caveman times I thought we were heading for a twist where they discovered it was a post nuclear future. I guess the story was supposed to be around the ice age? It felt like there was a missed opportunity somewhere with the observations made about how cold the sand was and how ORB had gone from the sky.

Regardless it was entertaining. The doctor doesn't end up in the distant earth past too often.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The reason the Doctor doesn’t go back to the far past is because that story happened. It’s hard to imagine another Doctor Who story involving cavemen without people saying “wait a minute, this is just An Unearthly Child!”

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gameko posted:

I just went back and watched the unearthly child, which was one we couldn't get when I was a kid. Whe n they got to caveman times I thought we were heading for a twist where they discovered it was a post nuclear future. I guess the story was supposed to be around the ice age? It felt like there was a missed opportunity somewhere with the observations made about how cold the sand was and how ORB had gone from the sky.

Regardless it was entertaining. The doctor doesn't end up in the distant earth past too often.

IIRC, that story was commissioned back when DW's original remit as a series was "purely historicals" with the only sci-fi elements being the Doctor and pals and the TARDIS, so that's why they didn't do the post-apoc earth, because the idea was to plunk our heroes down in the middle of history as a sort of way to get British schoolkids interested in historical studies. Of course, the very next episode knocked that idea for six. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Regeneration is a great story device - not only since it always recasting, but also because there's so many interesting things you can do with it storywise (that aren't the Timeless Child).

Oh, wait until you get to a certain ep in Vol 3, Agents of Chaos

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 6, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I adore about An Unearthly Child is the antagonist caveman attempting his hardest to articulate the notion of thinking/speculation/visualization to another cavewoman, because he doesn't quite understand what is going on either but he knows he sometimes can figure out how things are without explicitly seeing them happen.

"My eyes tell me what has happened. As they do when I sleep and I see things."

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, that story was commissioned back when DW's original remit as a series was "purely historicals" with the only sci-fi elements being the Doctor and pals and the TARDIS, so that's why they didn't do the post-apoc earth, because the idea was to plunk our heroes down in the middle of history as a sort of way to get British schoolkids interested in historical studies. Of course, the very next episode knocked that idea for six. :v:

I always heard that the original idea was always meant to be "one historical, one sci-fi" with the idea being that the sci-fi stories would be about exploring potential interesting speculative ideas about the future which in turn would stimulate the minds of kids and keep within the educational remit intended for the show? From memory Neuman was very much about the historicals and wasn't entirely happy about the Daleks even if it was speculative about the dangers of nuclear war, but welp then the ratings came in....

As noted, it basically ends up being largely abandoned and the sci-fi stories are just rip-roaring space adventures and eventually the pure historicals (which I deeply miss) just got eased out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I always heard that the original idea was always meant to be "one historical, one sci-fi" with the idea being that the sci-fi stories would be about exploring potential interesting speculative ideas about the future which in turn would stimulate the minds of kids and keep within the educational remit intended for the show? From memory Neuman was very much about the historicals and wasn't entirely happy about the Daleks even if it was speculative about the dangers of nuclear war, but welp then the ratings came in....

As noted, it basically ends up being largely abandoned and the sci-fi stories are just rip-roaring space adventures and eventually the pure historicals (which I deeply miss) just got eased out.

Yeah, I did some light reading after the fact, and that seems to have originally been the idea (with the two human companions being history and science teachers, to make "here's a history and/or science fact" dialogue more plausible, instead of sounding forced). And after the success of "The Daleks", the production team (at least at the time) began to really dislike doing the pure historical stories (to say nothing of the Beeb's insistence on finding the next alien creature to replace the Daleks in pop culture fads), which is why they eventually got kicked to the curb. And by the time they tried bringing them back during Davison's run with "Black Orchid", the audience was pretty solidly used to sci-fi being the dominant focus of the show.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are you saying The Fires of Pompeii isn't historically accurate?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's true. Peter Capaldi is not a Roman.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you saying The Fires of Pompeii isn't historically accurate?

Not only that, but it turns out "The Mark of the Rani" totally is. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's too bad, because something like Vincent and The Doctor would have totally worked without the monster. It felt shoehorned in, honestly, like "whelp, suppose we have to have an alien in there somewhere." :shrug:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I was really disappointed when The Witchhunters brought in some aliens at the end, as for the bulk of the story it felt like a proper pure historical!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, The Witchhunters is a ton of fun (mostly due to Alan Cumming just loving hamming it up good and proper) and then suddenly it's all about some aliens in a tree or something and the whole thing falls apart.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I honestly feel like Chibnall would be the showrunner to bring back the pure historical. Much more so than RTD and Moffat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I honestly feel like Chibnall would be the showrunner to bring back the pure historical. Much more so than RTD and Moffat.

why, just because everything he makes sucks and is boring? or because the one backstory he can't possibly gently caress up is actual history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Oh, wait until you get to a certain ep in Vol 3, Agents of Chaos

If its The Eternity Cage, I liked that one. It's interesting how so much of Big Finish's Time War lore is based on throwaway lines from the show.