Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
do you have some mod installed that alters the Hub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Towns doubling up because of mods is often solved by reordering the mods in the list somewhere. If you have two that conflict, swap their places.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

iirc if you have that problem you also have to import to get rid of the trashed objects?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh yeah also that, you gotta' refresh the world. Sometimes just importing can fix it, but sometimes it doesn't so you have to re-order them.

This game doesn't resolve mod conflicts by crashing or throwing errors, it just lets things sort of happen at the same time.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Importing your save with Dead NPCs and Relations switched off is the best way to clean up a save when dealing with mod installation, configuration, and deinstallation. This is the easiest way to resolve issues like duplicate or messed up buildings and structures, terrain, pathing, performance loss, (sometimes) glitches, etc. If you are still having problems, either try importing your save with every option including the aforementioned two checked off or you are experiencing a mod compatibility issue, either due to load order or they alter the same files from the vanilla and it is creating an error void.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

It’s also fun because you can find the dust king bastard a second time and break him!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Also I missed this the first time, but you have to right click ( p sure it's right click ) on the ruin, and then click repair, before your guys will fix it. Just ordering your dudes to the wreck does nothing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah and just having them set for the engineering job either, that's correct.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Did an import with most of the boxes ticked, just last one unticked. Specific issue of house wasn't resolved, gonna try again and record what's going on.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Note to self: Do not open Tower of Spiders

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

litany of gulps posted:

Note to self: Do not open Tower of Spiders

What was in it?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
If it is anything like the Tower of Goats, pain and suffering.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

If it is anything like the Tower of Goats, pain and suffering.

Oh, I was expecting spiders.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

KirbyKhan posted:

What was in it?

It better be full of treasure, for how much of a pain in the dick that whole fiasco was.

I've got a pretty tough 4 man squad - human martial artist, bonedog elder, Beep, and Burn. My usual strategy for this stuff is to pick and open the door with the stealthed human, arrange the humanoids outside with crossbows, put down security spiders or whatever the gently caress at range as the bonedog pulls then kites/micros as needed.

Turns out that poo poo may work on six security spiders, but not so much on two dozen elder blood spiders. We split and ran a second too late, one of them tagged Burn in the legs and he wasn't able to outpace them. They mobbed him and put him down, bleeding (leaking?) out a short distance from the tower. Most of them stopped to hang out next to his body, but a few chased the rest of my squad.

We all ran headfirst into a Reaver patrol. My dog went down instantly in the melee - bonedogs put out damage about like spiders, but they don't have anything for defense. Beep took a hit in the leg and had to duke it out in the mess, but he actually pulled it off, barely. My human stood on the edge of things and picked off the spiders with her crossbow before they managed to completely slaughter the Reavers.

Then I sent my human, stealthed, to recover Burn's body before he died. That was a success, but I dropped him to try and fix him without checking the surroundings carefully enough - two of the spiders spotted us and chased my human. I had to kite them and kill them with the crossbow, but they were almost as fast as my character, so it was a dicey thing. While this happened, a nearly spent Beep beat down the half dead Reavers that kept getting up.

When it was all done, we started back toward Black Scratch, with Beep's leg being hurt badly enough that he had to be carried. We ran into another Reaver patrol on the way, and Beep's damned leg ended up coming off, so we had to go to the Black Desert City to replace it.

Tomorrow I'm coming back and we're going to shoot down the rest of those spiders. Or get eaten trying, likely as not.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

When it was all done, we started back toward Black Scratch, with Beep's leg being hurt badly enough that he had to be carried. We ran into another Reaver patrol on the way, and Beep's damned leg ended up coming off, so we had to go to the Black Desert City to replace it.

Maybe the real treasure was the limbs you lost along the way?

Cause now you have a robo-beep, the best possible beep.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I remember dealing with that. I think I ended up bringing along my home base and building a ton of mounted turrets. I also hired a ton of people on the way and gave them the heaviest armour I could and just had them stand in the way. Anyone who survived got pristine grade A hiveman limbs (prototypes, of course) and fired when we got back into town.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Cause now you have a robo-beep, the best possible beep.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:allears: this is gold

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

:pusheen:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Holy poo poo

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

new thread title

Edit: I've been sleeping on crossbows and man do I feel like a fuckin idiot. Hobbs went from -meh- to Ultra MVP Last Man Standing. While the rest of the squad covers themselves in glory (and KOs), Hobbs steadily, reliably whittles down every single enemy. The slow walk that humanoid enemies do when they close distance makes it trivial. I think I need to train all but my heavy weapons users to shoot first, use katanas second.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Protip: do not give an Eagle's Cross to someone as My First Crossbow.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I bought a new laptop that's roughly twice as powerful as my old laptop, but whenever I try to run Kenshi on it the thing turns into a hotplate and the fans run full blast. I end up turning it off for fear of damaging the laptop. The old, shittier laptop got pretty warm but I'm surprised the new one is struggling so much. I've turned everything down, installed some of the mods that remove graphical things, disabled shadows and all that, but nothing seems to really help. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't remember the exact specs but it's better than the desktop I used to play the game on (i.e. using a 1650 vs a 950).

Is there something with core usage or maybe an antivirus that's a known issue that I could try? I want to beat up slavers again.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

HoboTech posted:

I bought a new laptop that's roughly twice as powerful as my old laptop, but whenever I try to run Kenshi on it the thing turns into a hotplate and the fans run full blast. I end up turning it off for fear of damaging the laptop. The old, shittier laptop got pretty warm but I'm surprised the new one is struggling so much. I've turned everything down, installed some of the mods that remove graphical things, disabled shadows and all that, but nothing seems to really help. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't remember the exact specs but it's better than the desktop I used to play the game on (i.e. using a 1650 vs a 950).

Is there something with core usage or maybe an antivirus that's a known issue that I could try? I want to beat up slavers again.

My laptop has an integrated intel gpu as well as a nvidia gpu, and any time the config resets for kenshi it goes to the integrated one. Do you have the right rendering device in the launcher?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that could do it. Integrated graphics get stupidly hot compared to dedicated graphics cards. I had that issue with my Dell notebook and only managed to fix it once I finally figured out that the graphics drivers for the dedicated graphics card had somehow failed to properly install. It runs much cooler ever since.

Also, make sure you have vsync enabled. A lot of games will happily run as fast as your graphics card can spit out frames even when that is far above the refresh rate of your monitor. Vsync can limit the load to something more reasonable in a case like that.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, make sure you have vsync enabled. A lot of games will happily run as fast as your graphics card can spit out frames even when that is far above the refresh rate of your monitor. Vsync can limit the load to something more reasonable in a case like that.

Arven posted:

My laptop has an integrated intel gpu as well as a nvidia gpu, and any time the config resets for kenshi it goes to the integrated one. Do you have the right rendering device in the launcher?

I'll give both of these a shot and see how it goes. I'd never even considered it may not be using the right GPU, and yes I believe I have Vsync disabled for some reason, so I'll flip that back on. Much appreciated.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I finally got my squad all fully kitted out with mastercraft scout legs and they're zipping across the map now. One unexpected side effect of the faster unit speed is that I've started to see more of the rough seams of the game unravel. I'm constantly running into stops as the map loads (even with the fast map loading setting turned on) now that I can traverse zones in minutes. It also feels like my guys are clipping into objects or getting stuck on geometry more often, and I have to make use of the reset command or pickup/put down people regularly.

My main wish for Kenshi 2 is for them to iron out the pathfinding and collision.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

I finally got my squad all fully kitted out with mastercraft scout legs and they're zipping across the map now. One unexpected side effect of the faster unit speed is that I've started to see more of the rough seams of the game unravel. I'm constantly running into stops as the map loads (even with the fast map loading setting turned on) now that I can traverse zones in minutes. It also feels like my guys are clipping into objects or getting stuck on geometry more often, and I have to make use of the reset command or pickup/put down people regularly.

My main wish for Kenshi 2 is for them to iron out the pathfinding and collision.

The real end game is buying an SSD (and even that only helps so much)

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

wake the beep! up samurai

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It helps if you don't look at them until they arrive.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Lone Badger posted:

It helps if you don't look at them until they arrive.

Unfortunately this significantly degrades the pathfinding

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

Kenshi is made on OGRE (initially released in February 2005). Kenshi 2 is being developed on UE4.

moot the hopple posted:

I'm constantly running into stops as the map loads (even with the fast map loading setting turned on) now that I can traverse zones in minutes. It also feels like my guys are clipping into objects or getting stuck on geometry more often, and I have to make use of the reset command or pickup/put down people regularly.

I know this is standard Kenshi behavior, but some mods like Compressed Textures Project, Shidan's Tweaks and Fixes, Reduce stones and some other foliage, or another QoL fix-oriented mod might improve your loading times and performance.

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 5, 2021

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm using those mods minus Shidan's, plus running it on a SSD, and the game still pauses frequently as it loads the map. I really do think it's because my guys can run at 40+ miles per hour now; you don't really notice map loads at a normal walking pace but it definitely feels like you have to do a lot of waiting around when you can zip through multiple zones in a few seconds.

Glad Kenshi 2 will hopefully see improvements on a different game engine.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

I'm using those mods minus Shidan's, plus running it on a SSD, and the game still pauses frequently as it loads the map. I really do think it's because my guys can run at 40+ miles per hour now; you don't really notice map loads at a normal walking pace but it definitely feels like you have to do a lot of waiting around when you can zip through multiple zones in a few seconds.

Glad Kenshi 2 will hopefully see improvements on a different game engine.

Kenshi 1 is a minor miracle of passion project, hacked together over the course of 12 years by a single person and dragged out of eternal early access hell. The fact that is works at all, let alone is fun to play, defies all logic. But god drat do I appreciate that the sequel is going to be made on a modern engine with an actual dev team.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Looks like a large overhaul mod will be coming out soon.

Looked through it, the siege and war stuff looks like it could bring a lot of life to the world of Kenshi. Most of the time that stuff is only local to where you are basing your crew (the riots in Shark being a good example of this) or when you actively cause world state changes.

A lot of these proposed changes are "next update" or "in the works" though, which always give me pause with these things. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Tryna get this done by the end of this month. No promises though"

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Donkringel posted:

Looks like a large overhaul mod will be coming out soon.

Looked through it, the siege and war stuff looks like it could bring a lot of life to the world of Kenshi. Most of the time that stuff is only local to where you are basing your crew (the riots in Shark being a good example of this) or when you actively cause world state changes.

A lot of these proposed changes are "next update" or "in the works" though, which always give me pause with these things. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic though.

I want to believe, but everything I've heard from other modders paints the picture of a game with looots of hard-coded limitations. So I'm not optimistic, but of course happy to be proven wrong!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Gimmick Account posted:

I want to believe, but everything I've heard from other modders paints the picture of a game with looots of hard-coded limitations. So I'm not optimistic, but of course happy to be proven wrong!

So reading through the notes and the authors comments, it seems do-able but holy hell it is insane if I am reading it correctly.

Basically the author built a tool that auto-generates hundreds of random NPCs for each side with different AI for each npc, like attack, defend, siege etc. These NPCs have different world states that can cause minor changes depending on who wins/loses. Then these NPCs have a hierarchy where if the win/loss then higher up NPCs have their AI scripts activated.

So for example, lieutenant shek has AI to take a squad and attack Blister hill. Lt gets beaten by paladins and captured. World state slightly changes where all shek know of the Lts capture and the shek captain may now be activated to try and retrieve him prompting a bigger response.

Then multiply this scenario a hundred different ways. Seems real cool, I'd be curious to see what performance hit would happen (the player doesn't trigger these states, they all happen in the background) plus it looks like new jank is introduced due to unexpected world state permutations.

That and as mentioned before there are a lot of "coming soon" options. However I will say all of these scenarios are coded into the base game in some way shape or form, they are just very small, like asking the shek/ninjas help you attack Blister hill, reprisal attacks when you grab important NPCs, reputations from capturing specific NPCs, etc.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I'm a few hours in and learning the ropes.

I'm having some trouble with getting my workers to eat. I've got 5 recruits mining + hauling back to my house, but 3 of them never go back and are starving. The 2 that do go back seem to eat out of the food storage just fine. They all have the same job loadout, am I doing something wrong or is this just the game being weird?

Also before making my first base should I get a few recruits and build up some combat skills, or will I be OK with just walls and some mounted crossbows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Also before making my first base should I get a few recruits and build up some combat skills, or will I be OK with just walls and some mounted crossbows?

Build up the combat skills first, but include a few crossbow training sets. A fully enclosed wall is a bit expensive but you'll be building one soon enough.

None of this will help of course, you'll still get your poo poo kicked in by every passing nobody for another 40 hours. But you'll be getting tougher and tougher, and have a set of beds to recover faster on.