Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

What was it, just another instance of intelligence covertly dosing unsuspecting people with LSD before kidnapping them, possibly just to bring them into a staged location that would make them have an even weirder trip to give them an even less believable story to tell?

LSD does have a history of causing people to suddenly convert to Christianity, belief in aliens, or sudden lasting personality changes. Whoever discussed that upthread (or maybe in some other thread) also said that people unexpectedly dosed with LSD can become singularly obsessed with the experience they had from that point forward, spending their lives seeking out validation of the strange thing they experienced. They'd never know it was just drugs.

If the experiment's goal is just to damage someone's credibility to others, mission accomplished, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Targeted attacks on devices running the most common operating systems with Signal installed are plenty feasible. You wouldn't need to use a quantum computer to decrypt the messages in that case.

Since Signal is usually pulled down off Apple App Store or Google Play that could also serve as a means of pushing a compromised version of the app to specific accounts. The NSA et al almost certainly could figure out who has it installed.

And again, the server backend for Signal is a "trust us" type situation as well.

So I don't think Levine's objections are all that unreasonable. Signal touts a level of protection the technologies it relies on to get the apps to users can't deliver. It took funding from USAID and an agency that was once formally part of the CIA to get started. It required access privileges from your device it should not have needed in any way (phone number and contacts).

The technical aspects of the apps encryption aren't even the main issue, really.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The technical aspects of the apps encryption aren't even the main issue, really.

This one million times

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Until recently Signal required access to your phone number and all the contacts on your phone as well.

i used to get notifications on my phone like 'Joey is on Signal' and i thought it was pretty funny my phone was telling me Joey was trying to buy drugs

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I had no idea the Rubbles were an homage to this couple. Wow.

Anyone experience any :airquote:burglary:airquote: attempts lately?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I've registered just for this thread's last page to tell you all to read Jack Brewer's The Grays Have Been Framed which details the abuse of supposed abductees by their (sometimes unlicensed) therapists, and his blog The UFO Trail. Some juicy details of an "abductee" led to a regression on a restricted beach on the Pensacola Naval Base in FL. And if you're not familiar with the saga of Paul Bennewitz and Air Force Intelligence agent Richard Doty, google that now. Long story short, the entire modern UFO mythos of underground bases and crashed saucer tech is based on USAF disinfo to cover up stealth/drone/laser pulse communication tech, which folds into the ongoing "Disclosure" grift by guys like DeLonge and Steven Greer. This all IMO also connects to the frivolous "Satanism" acted out by Epstein types, transgressive/pseudo mystic bullshit reveling in their untouchable power.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Tubgoat posted:

I had no idea the Rubbles were an homage to this couple. Wow.

Anyone experience any :airquote:burglary:airquote: attempts lately?

Richard Doty would have Air Force personnel break into Paul Bennewitz's home to mess up his pots and pans to make him think the aliens were loving with him. Not taking anything, just dumping his poo poo to let him know he'd been rumbled. Bennewitz thought he was intercepting alien signals, which were actually laser pulse interceptions of Soviet satellite communiques by the USAF. For fear of Bennewitz blabbing too much about his findings, Doty led him on a wild goose chase to the now-mythical "Dulce Base" in New Mexico.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
So no aliens, just sociopathic child rapists that are genetically-indistinguishable from homo sapiens?

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Jetto Jagga posted:

I've registered just for this thread's last page to tell you all to read Jack Brewer's The Grays Have Been Framed which details the abuse of supposed abductees by their (sometimes unlicensed) therapists, and his blog The UFO Trail. Some juicy details of an "abductee" led to a regression on a restricted beach on the Pensacola Naval Base in FL. And if you're not familiar with the saga of Paul Bennewitz and Air Force Intelligence agent Richard Doty, google that now. Long story short, the entire modern UFO mythos of underground bases and crashed saucer tech is based on USAF disinfo to cover up stealth/drone/laser pulse communication tech, which folds into the ongoing "Disclosure" grift by guys like DeLonge and Steven Greer. This all IMO also connects to the frivolous "Satanism" acted out by Epstein types, transgressive/pseudo mystic bullshit reveling in their untouchable power.

lmao

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

nut posted:

How big of civil rights activists were Barney and Betty Hill before they got abducted and had their lives fall apart? asking for a friend

ok holy poo poo lol. i am 100% on board w/ this being a conspiracy thing

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Happy Thread posted:

What was it, just another instance of intelligence covertly dosing unsuspecting people with LSD before kidnapping them, possibly just to bring them into a staged location that would make them have an even weirder trip to give them an even less believable story to tell?

LSD does have a history of causing people to suddenly convert to Christianity, belief in aliens, or sudden lasting personality changes. Whoever discussed that upthread (or maybe in some other thread) also said that people unexpectedly dosed with LSD can become singularly obsessed with the experience they had from that point forward, spending their lives seeking out validation of the strange thing they experienced. They'd never know it was just drugs.

If the experiment's goal is just to damage someone's credibility to others, mission accomplished, I guess.

this was smack dab in the middle of MK Ultra. worth noting their city hosted a major Air Force base at the time.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

The Kingfish posted:

this was smack dab in the middle of MK Ultra. worth noting their city hosted a major Air Force base at the time.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

this is mildly flipping me out not gonna lie! i watched the vhs tapes i had of carl sagans cosmos a lot as a kid, so i was very familiar with their story.. that show def instilled at least a semi decent sense of skepticism in me but this is breaking my brain lmao

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tubgoat posted:

So no aliens, just sociopathic child rapists that are genetically-indistinguishable from homo sapiens?

they live was a documentary

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The_Rob posted:

they live was a documentary

I've been saying this since I first saw it. Should be shown to elementary school kids in social studies.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Targeted attacks on devices running the most common operating systems with Signal installed are plenty feasible. You wouldn't need to use a quantum computer to decrypt the messages in that case.

Since Signal is usually pulled down off Apple App Store or Google Play that could also serve as a means of pushing a compromised version of the app to specific accounts. The NSA et al almost certainly could figure out who has it installed.

And again, the server backend for Signal is a "trust us" type situation as well.

So I don't think Levine's objections are all that unreasonable. Signal touts a level of protection the technologies it relies on to get the apps to users can't deliver. It took funding from USAID and an agency that was once formally part of the CIA to get started. It required access privileges from your device it should not have needed in any way (phone number and contacts).

p much the same but telegram lmao

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Tubgoat posted:

secret sub species of ULTRA PREDATOR humans just all ready to be cannibals or rape children or whatever so ofc they rise to positions of power because they don't experience guilt

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hollywood needs to remake They Live so they can water down the message and also somehow be less subtle than an 80s movie.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Marzzle posted:

p much the same but telegram lmao
Telegram users aren't generally under the impression their chats are inadmissable in court, though?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

oh I'd assume signal and telegram prob get read by the same dudes, telegram goes over seas so it's not even exempt from the ostensible sphere of three letter monitoring agencies that warrants would protect

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

it's pretty fuckin' funny tho that all of them have opaque backends and folks are like "oh well guess maybe they will release that code any day now" v:shobon:v

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
telegram is the furry IM app

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Happy Thread posted:

I tripped on acid and think magic is real now. I also felt like i got a glimpse of what is possible w/r/t incepting belief into someone by combining hypnotic states with acid and uhh yeah this stinks of psychedelic psy-op poo poo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Hollywood needs to remake They Live so they can water down the message and also somehow be less subtle than an 80s movie.

there’s an alien resistance group and the ultimate bad guy turns out to be some human dude and the main character saves the day with a powerful speech about freedom

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

telegram is the furry IM app
I know, I miss her very much. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol these last two pages have been incredible content

Good job y'all. There is always a crack, and it always pings

nut
Jul 30, 2019

The Kingfish posted:

I dunno many of the Hills' details but Martin Cannon also mentions that they recently became friends with the head of the Pease Air base and I'm pretty sure they contacted that airbase as the first authority they reached out to when they decided to tell someone

Cannon also provides some early evidence that abductees are encouraged to join local UFO groups, some which border on cultish practice (like the I AM religious movement and many of its offshoots, particularly right-wing ones) and many of which are led by ex-intelligence officers.

e: i'll post some more details about the specific groups later today when I'm back w my books because it makes me curious about what modern UFO groups exist

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TFW when you realize your nation of birth and home is a horrific, trancendently evil machine with many heads, devouring the lives of millions including the martyrs among us merely guilty of trying to improve theirs and others' lot in life.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

TFW when you realize your nation of birth and home is a horrific, trancendently evil machine with many heads, devouring the lives of millions including the martyrs among us merely guilty of trying to improve theirs and others' lot in life.

do you realize how little that does to narrow it down?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

do you realize how little that does to narrow it down?

same beast tho

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Marzzle posted:

it's pretty fuckin' funny tho that all of them have opaque backends and folks are like "oh well guess maybe they will release that code any day now" v:shobon:v

To be fair, Signal has released server software for users to run independently. Apparently, Moxie doesn't seem to see the value in federated servers for the main app, which I find suspect, but he invites users to do it themselves if they are so inclined.

Signal's own servers seem to be hosted on cloud services from PRISM-aligned Microsoft and Amazon -- the latter of which is a major defense and intelligence contractor. I don't think that aspect of the app is intrinsically nefarious, but I'm not aware of any way to independently verify the security of these servers. You just have to trust it's running the same thing as the public release. And the developers aren't upfront about where Signal is hosted either.

Traffic from the app is identifiable and block-able unless domain fronting is in use, which only happens by default in a few Arab countries. What if your phone connected to a stingray/dirtbox with the app at a protest with this feature off?

So yeah, from what I can tell, there's no reason to take many of these apps' more overblown claims at face value. There might be some level of protection from attackers who lack the resources and inclination to directly compromise on devices running the app, but that's definitely not the US (or many other countries). It's outside the scope of the app's development to fix some of these problems, but I don't think the developers are all that forthcoming about such limitations either.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

sorry for the lengthy excerpt but this is the whole section on Cults from The Controllers, with a ton of a great inroads (WACL, Iran-Contra, Green Berets, Nordic Aryan Alien origins) if anyone is looking for a way to ruin a weekend.

Lemme know if you need any of the references or direction to the whole text.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I think maybe a unexplored intersection between Cannon's work and the rise of cults isn't just that abductees often find themselves shepherded into cults, but also that the initiation procedures of cults for non-abductees include some of the hallmarks of abduction experience (lost time, mental fog, sudden unshakeable conviction in a new belief, strange emotional reactions).

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Riot Bimbo posted:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Regarding Signal: do people really not know there's a network designed to intercept pretty much all electronic communications under ECHELON, rendering the choice of app or method of communication completely moot?

"But they can't listen to this one!!" lmao yes they can. "How will they find me??" incredibly easily. The telescreen world of 1984 is already here as far as the mass surveillance aspect and how completely jacked in people are to it. Consider anything other than a smoke signal, one time paper pad, or carrier pigeon to be deeply compromised.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
carrier pigeons are drones and they run PROMIS

nut
Jul 30, 2019

something no one has mentioned is that Yasha’s assertion over Tor is that it was originally created as a private internet channel to avoid opportunities for non-intelligence agencies to intercept messaging. the issue is that if Tor is exclusively used by intelligence, than anyone who can get into Tor knows whatever they pull out is intelligence. Accordingly, the idea was to leak it to “bad actors” to populate the alternative route and hide concurrent intelligence communications. it sounds insane and I can’t remember his evidence for it, but presumably the same logic would apply to any network outside of the internet with origins associated with the broadcast board of governors. the honeypot is just an added bonus in his model.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I of course understand that all of our phones and computers are already compromised. I was just asking about Signal specifically because it's easier to talk about that one app being compromised before pivoting to Snowden-level revelations about the internet panopticon.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
How a single app is compromised is irrelevant because of that panopticon and is a reason unto itself that it is compromised

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There was a great 60 Minutes piece on ECHELON years back, which I think is enough of a normie show to convince anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

barney was a pretty good dude he lived out in NH but worked the postal service in boston and would stay after to do organizing work in the city. poor guy let his wife canonize a new form of domestic psyop in the public mind, one that put some value added on the table alongside cover for aerospace and plasma research. its a bedtime parable about mental health professionals and alphabet soup managing society.