Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

What's that purple keycap set???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dimestore Merlin posted:

You could get something like the Freewrite traveller .

I think the AlphaSmart Neo 2 was enjoying a little mini renaissance last year? You could probably find one kicking around someplace.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Novelkeys Vaporwave. It's a PBT knock off of GMK Vaporwave.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If anyone was in the market for an LFKeypad, they're showing available on his website: https://www.lfkeyboards.com/lfkpad/

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Midjack posted:

If anyone was in the market for an LFKeypad, they're showing available on his website: https://www.lfkeyboards.com/lfkpad/

Thanks for the heads up, snagged one of these for my eventual roguelike controller build. Do you have any idea if there are cospad cases besides the ones that kprepublic sells? Haven't had luck finding any myself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Thanks for the heads up, snagged one of these for my eventual roguelike controller build. Do you have any idea if there are cospad cases besides the ones that kprepublic sells? Haven't had luck finding any myself.

That’s the only one I’ve seen besides some wood ones that people have made for themselves and other one-offs. Someone earlier also mentioned that spacers are needed to keep the board positioned in the cospad case.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

My /dev/tty Triumph MT3 set arrived today, friggin' love typing on this profile. It's like a lil hug on my fingertips. And they sound real nice too!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Stroop There It Is posted:

My /dev/tty Triumph MT3 set arrived today, friggin' love typing on this profile. It's like a lil hug on my fingertips. And they sound real nice too!

Just got a message MT3 Dasher shipped :woop:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

You're both reminding me about that wonderful looking MT3 3277 set on drop that has just about every random keycap there is except a 2u shift and I'm crying.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CRAYON posted:

You're both reminding me about that wonderful looking MT3 3277 set on drop that has just about every random keycap there is except a 2u shift and I'm crying.

It's such a good profile. I finally got my Mountain Everest in yesterday (after ordering it in November), and typing on the OEM set was just rotten. Now I've got my Susuwatari set back on, it's a night & day difference.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I just wish there were more PBT MT3 sets. As far as I know the only available set is /dev/tty. And the only other set I know of that was also produced in PBT was MT3 Serika.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

.Z. posted:

I just wish there were more PBT MT3 sets. As far as I know the only available set is /dev/tty. And the only other set I know of that was also produced in PBT was MT3 Serika.
I poked around for a long time before committing to this set, and couldn't find any others. :pray: pleeeaase Matt3o!!

LochNessMonster posted:

Just got a message MT3 Dasher shipped :woop:
Hell yeah, curious how that blue looks in person. I wish the Triumph color was a bit closer to the blue side than green, but it's still a pretty cool color.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

.Z. posted:

I have MT3 Serika on my preonic and it’s awesome. I’ve always wanted Dasher/Dancer so I was stoked it came in MT3 instead of SA. I wish it was PBT as well, but ABS will do (until there ever comes a PBT version, if ever).

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I love MT3 profile. Got them in Godspeed, will likely never change them out on this keyboard. They've got a definitive sound without any clicky switches.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah I'm mashing buy if MT3 Godspeed ever comes back in stock. Such a great set.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Gearman posted:

Yeah I'm mashing buy if MT3 Godspeed ever comes back in stock. Such a great set.

I'd forgotten about Godspeed. I'm not sure I'd want it to come back into stock. I'd be buying it and the variant set. My wallet would cry.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Opioid posted:

I love MT3 profile. Got them in Godspeed, will likely never change them out on this keyboard. They've got a definitive sound without any clicky switches.

This keyboard is extremely awesome :toot:

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This keyboard is extremely awesome :toot:

Thanks! I ended up killing the original PCB from a static shock. I tried to get a new one for almost a year but the makers were silent.

So last month I read a tutorial on how to design PCBs, reverse engineered the board, sent the files to a factory in China, and had 5 new ones made! Just programmed them last weekend and it was a huge feeling of success when it worked perfectly. This time, I designed the board with some ESD protection built in and used an improved MCU (atmega32u4).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I zapped my keyboard a handful of times today with static shocks. Twice I got it so hard the monitor turned off.
I specifically made sure that the case was isolated from the USB/PCB when I built it, so those must have been some serious shocks.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I zapped my keyboard a handful of times today with static shocks. Twice I got it so hard the monitor turned off.
I specifically made sure that the case was isolated from the USB/PCB when I built it, so those must have been some serious shocks.

Yeah the original had no ESD protection and used an MCU known to be super sensitive to zaps. There’s apparently a lot of people with a dead HB85 board out there, which is sad because it’s such a great case. It’s not a perfect PCB (one key was off by 0.3mm from the plate) and there are no LEDs, so I don’t know if anyone else would want it. Might put up the files after I fix the flaws in the event anyone wants to run it as a GB for replacement boards.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Opioid posted:

Thanks! I ended up killing the original PCB from a static shock. I tried to get a new one for almost a year but the makers were silent.

So last month I read a tutorial on how to design PCBs, reverse engineered the board, sent the files to a factory in China, and had 5 new ones made! Just programmed them last weekend and it was a huge feeling of success when it worked perfectly. This time, I designed the board with some ESD protection built in and used an improved MCU (atmega32u4).

1. That’s badass
2. What tutorial series did you follow? I’ve tried to follow a kicad tutorial before but got bored pretty quickly

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

mewse posted:

1. That’s badass
2. What tutorial series did you follow? I’ve tried to follow a kicad tutorial before but got bored pretty quickly

This was the one

https://wiki.ai03.com/books/pcb-design

Also this discord is very helpful

https://discord.gg/b7vwhHS

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Does anyone have experience with KAM profile? I am thinking about building a Nibble 65 and I am kind of stuck deciding between MT3 and KAM. I realize they‘re very different, but people keep raving about MT3 - otherwise I would have gone for KAM.

My daily driver is currently SA r3, and while I generally like the lack of a curve, I could go for some less tall keycaps. The lack of a curve was what initially attracted me to KAM, but maybe I just never had the right profile in the first place.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm after a good first mechanical keyboard, 100% form factor with cherrys or browns, ideally black and ideally with nice shiny rainbow backlighting. I'm not going to say "money is not an object", but I'm happy to pay more for quality. The Ducky RGB Shine 7 looks like it would be perfect... if it weren't for the fact that I'm in the UK. Post-Christmas and post-brexit, all Ducky keyboards seem to be out of stock across the board, with no indication of when or if they'll be coming back. Do good keyboards still exist in this godforsaken country, or have I missed my chance?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Does anyone have experience with KAM profile? I am thinking about building a Nibble 65 and I am kind of stuck deciding between MT3 and KAM. I realize they‘re very different, but people keep raving about MT3 - otherwise I would have gone for KAM.

My daily driver is currently SA r3, and while I generally like the lack of a curve, I could go for some less tall keycaps. The lack of a curve was what initially attracted me to KAM, but maybe I just never had the right profile in the first place.

MT3 have quite significant curves. They're like little cups for your fingertips

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yea, MT3 have both an overall profile curve from top to bottom of the board, and the individual keys are dished pretty deep too.

I don't have any KAM sets (yet) to compare against, but the two profiles are definitely going for two different feels.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I just got this. And I'm pleasently surprised. It's purpose is to be the keyboard I keep at my work bench in the basement. And I don't think you could want more for a little toss around keeb for computer troubleshooting.

Wired USBC/Bluetooth/2.4ghz with a stowable transmitter. HOT SWAP 5PIN. And RGB that remembers what mode it was in last time you turned it off. Has all the keys I need for booting random computers into bios etc.

https://www.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-KLUDGE-Connectable-Hot-Swappable/dp/B08M39K1Z5

It's pleasantly awesome. A little sad it doesn't come in black, but still very happy.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Looking for a reccomendation: I wanna get a new keyboard for my 808-Booms when they arrive. Ideally I want a full-size keyboard with a black or grey metal housing like the Ducky Shine 7 I have now - I really like the feel and weight of it. I also want full per-key RGB backlighting, also like the Ducky Shine 7. It sounds like I just want to buy another Ducky Shine 7, and I kinda do, but I also want to put some Box Jades on it. So I either need to get another Shine 7, desolder all the switches, and put new ones on, get a similar board and remove the switches, or find a 100% PCB and case and assemble it myself - which I'm totally willing to do as a fun project, but every time I go searching for boards I end up seeing things that are out of stock/on backorder or old group-buy posts that make me sad that I missed out on something.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Epsilon Plus posted:

Looking for a reccomendation: I wanna get a new keyboard for my 808-Booms when they arrive. Ideally I want a full-size keyboard with a black or grey metal housing like the Ducky Shine 7 I have now - I really like the feel and weight of it. I also want full per-key RGB backlighting, also like the Ducky Shine 7. It sounds like I just want to buy another Ducky Shine 7, and I kinda do, but I also want to put some Box Jades on it. So I either need to get another Shine 7, desolder all the switches, and put new ones on, get a similar board and remove the switches, or find a 100% PCB and case and assemble it myself - which I'm totally willing to do as a fun project, but every time I go searching for boards I end up seeing things that are out of stock/on backorder or old group-buy posts that make me sad that I missed out on something.

My Everest Max finally came in this week. It's an 80+20%, with a metal top and ABS plastic bottom. The numpad is detachable, and can fit on either side. I've got it in a southpaw right now, and it's... taking some getting used to. It's hotswap (3 pin only). It's not a group-buy, but it took two months to actually arrive. I'm happy with it so far, but I've only had it 48 hours. Per-key RGB, and the media dock is decent enough.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
KAM and MT3 are almost as far apart as you can get. DSA and MT3 are the extreme ends of the spectrum.
There's only a couple KAM sets that have delivered so far so it's not surprising that you haven't had a chance to try it. Doesn't look like any KAM sets are gonna be delivered for close to a year from now, and I think you just missed out on Little Pilot extras, so I hope you're not in a hurry.
KAM is definitely way better than DSA though. KAM at least has scooped tops whereas DSA is flat as gently caress. I was about to get KAM Superuser but GMK Firefly and GMK Ursa extras on Kono last night really hosed up my already completely blown February budget.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I completely missed the Ursa extras, so I'd be happy to take the set off your hands if you decide you don't want it!

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Epsilon Plus posted:

Worth poking around in resale markets for a full-size, I think. They don't move very fast so you never know if something posted a month ago might still be in the seller's hands.

I don't know many specific models, but the HEX 6C comes to mind. Easily one of the better looking big boards I've seen.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For any Austin owners in here, I'm getting some FR4 and polycarb plates, and foam sets, made. I've posted a.short interest check form in the Drift Mechanics discord if you don't mind taking a second to fill it out. Cheers!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

feedback loop posted:

Worth poking around in resale markets for a full-size, I think. They don't move very fast so you never know if something posted a month ago might still be in the seller's hands.

I don't know many specific models, but the HEX 6C comes to mind. Easily one of the better looking big boards I've seen.

That is quite nice - I've always thought having a left-side numpad would make things difficult for when I'm playing games, but I just realized that I could just... move my keyboard to the left so my WASD cluster is still in the same place. Duh.

Any good places I should look other than geekhack and reddit?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

I completely missed the Ursa extras, so I'd be happy to take the set off your hands if you decide you don't want it!

I will def keep you in mind. I FOMO'd pretty hard over it so I doubt I'll want to yeet it but I will certainly let you know if I do.

Gearman posted:

For any Austin owners in here, I'm getting some FR4 and polycarb plates, and foam sets, made. I've posted a.short interest check form in the Drift Mechanics discord if you don't mind taking a second to fill it out. Cheers!

Noted. I think I'm good with the extra PC plate I got for it but thanks for posting. I kinda regret not getting the CF plate but brass+creams is such a good combo.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

.Z. posted:

The Wyvern GB is going live 1/23 at 10AM pst if anyone is interested in a southpaw keyboard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/kzzr6l/gb_wyvern_gb_launching_finally_10am_pst_123/

It's just frigging expensive. $410 oof.

Custom case and board right? Maybe hand assembled outside of china? Limited to 250 sold out already Yea-boyyyyy

Friend of mine is a left handed accountant - wanna know thoughts on ergonomics :)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

.Z. posted:

I'd forgotten about Godspeed. I'm not sure I'd want it to come back into stock. I'd be buying it and the variant set. My wallet would cry.

Drop is doing them in GMK cherry profile :retrogames: :
https://drop.com/buy/drop-mito-gmk-godspeed-custom-keycap-set

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

It's still kind of :yikes: to me that the Columbia kit has an extra Esc and it's red. I really like the set, though.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Thankfully it's not MT3 profile, so my wallet is safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Speaking of Godspeed, Godspeed mats are back in stock over at Novelkeys https://novelkeys.xyz/products/godspeed-v2-deskpads?variant=32208219111517