Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

But then you miss out Lower Decks.

Oh no, how terrible for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tighclops posted:

Oh no, how terrible for them

Hey, it's good actually. :colbert:

Keep in mind, McMahan pitched it to CBS, it's not some executive mandate. The guy knows & loves his Trek.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ST09 was fine and so was Beyond.

Into Darkness, now that is a pile of poo poo.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've tried a couple times to get into it, it's not the worst thing in the world and you can tell the people making it actually like Star Trek which puts it light years ahead of the recent live action poo poo, but the show still strikes me as the unfunny official version of the Orville for the kind of fans that are really into posting their favorite hypothetical DS9 couples on tumblr or something

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Goblin Craft posted:

I mean, is it really punishment if it's voluntary?

you have to watch every episode of star trek. it's the law

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, you kinda got to on some level because they jumped the rail and peed into the adult pool in the process of making babby’s first soft plastic Fun Trek instead of just leaving well enough alone. And we’ve all got to deal with that here in gross miserable Real Trek.

The last Star Trek thing I watched was Beyond so I don't have to deal with anything.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/HwDOeOK.mp4

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Tighclops posted:

I've tried a couple times to get into it, it's not the worst thing in the world and you can tell the people making it actually like Star Trek which puts it light years ahead of the recent live action poo poo, but the show still strikes me as the unfunny official version of the Orville for the kind of fans that are really into posting their favorite hypothetical DS9 couples on tumblr or something

i enjoyed it but it was rarely truly funny and mostly going through the motions. its also just a million times better than anything released in the last decade or whatever

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

To be, or not to be!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkJWlxU99Y

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Absolute King

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Laterite posted:

Absolute King

Plummer was enough of a badass that he successfully demanded to not have to wear the omelet forehead prosthetic as a condition of taking the role (they didn't have the money to pay him his usual rate, but he wanted to work with Shatner, so he took a pay cut in exchange for not having to show up at 4 a.m. and spend several hours in a makeup chair).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Timby posted:

but he wanted to work with Shatner

Funny, I've heard quite a few people who worked with him wished they hadn't had to

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They were longtime friends who both were members of the Royal Canadian Shakespeare Company or whatever it's called up there

I guess Shatner's propensity for overacting isn't that surprising when your realize he was originally a theater actor

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gaddamn why is TNG on Netflix such dogshit quality. I :filez: the 1080ps and it's like a new show completely.

Same for DS9, I'll get back on that now that I know how good these HD versions look.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did they pull the HD Remaster of TNG off of Netflix?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did they pull the HD Remaster of TNG off of Netflix?

Dunno about Netflix, but Hulu is all potato broadcast copies now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is why I'll never rely on streaming. Squirrel all that media on a big ol external HD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just took a look at Encounter at Farpoint on both Netflix and Hulu and they are still very much HD and comparable to my Blu-Rays.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

This is why I'll never rely on streaming. Squirrel all that media on a big ol external HD.

I've never made an account for any streaming service, but since I had never seen any Star Trek at all I used girlfriend's Netflix to power through the seasons on TNG once I watched a few and got into it. I refuse to pay for any sort of streaming service. How the gently caress did we start with iTunes service and end up here, with the younger generation barely even knowing how to use torrents and the birth of 50 divisions of new streaming poo poo.

edit; Not sure then, I watched TNG during quarantine I think last spring and my memory of it is really lovely quality compared to the blu-ray version I just put on.

knox fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 6, 2021

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

A couple episodes of TNG on CBS All Access were like, VHS-quality. It was weird.

DS9 on there also had some weird glitches on the top for a lot of episodes. Like they were all recorded using the same bad VCR.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dunno about Netflix, but Hulu is all potato broadcast copies now.
I don't think Hulu ever had the HD versions

I think the only services that had them were Netflix, Amazon, and CBS AA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

They were longtime friends who both were members of the Royal Canadian Shakespeare Company or whatever it's called up there

I guess Shatner's propensity for overacting isn't that surprising when your realize he was originally a theater actor

It's why him and Patrick Stewart get alone so great too. That documentary Shatner did a few years back, The Captains, has some kind of weird and ego-stroking poo poo in it, but aside from Avery Brooks trolling the poo poo out of Bill by having a psychotic episode mid-interview, the two best bits are the one-on-ones Shatner does with Stewart and Chris Pine. He said that Stewart helped him get over his anxiety over the fact that his obituary was going to read "Captain Kirk actor, dead at [...]", and the Pine segment is a great torch pass between the two Kirks because you can see how much Pine looks up to Shatner and how excited Shatner is to see what Pine does with the role.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's very interesting that most of the Captains started in theater between Shatner, Stewart, Brooks

also Bakula started on Broadway apparently

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think Hulu ever had the HD versions

I think the only services that had them were Netflix, Amazon, and CBS AA

I just checked Hulu, it's HD just like Netflix.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skull mask mcgee posted:

A couple episodes of TNG on CBS All Access were like, VHS-quality. It was weird.

DS9 on there also had some weird glitches on the top for a lot of episodes. Like they were all recorded using the same bad VCR.

Those weird glitches are likely the bottom few pixels of the running time code that’s used for editing and broadcast. Typically that would have been cut off on a normal SD TV, but the raw digital transfers from the master tapes likely still had those artifacts left over.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/7thRule/status/1357756816021594113

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now if we want to talk about lovely image quality, I'm watching my ST:VI blu-ray right now, possibility for the first time since getting my OLED 4.5 years ago, and goddamn this is a lovely transfer.

Compression artifacts abound and it's oddly over sharpened.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

HD DAD posted:

Those weird glitches are likely the bottom few pixels of the running time code that’s used for editing and broadcast. Typically that would have been cut off on a normal SD TV, but the raw digital transfers from the master tapes likely still had those artifacts left over.

Yeah that’s probably what it was. Was way too consistent to be an actual glitch. Still lol @ the complete lack of poo poo they give for that service.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Little Ferengi basterd..."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

HD DAD posted:

On netflix in Canada a lot of TNG episodes have a blinking white bit at the very top left hand corner which I assume is something like that, would that mean that it isn't the HD version or did they leave those in?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Now if we want to talk about lovely image quality, I'm watching my ST:VI blu-ray right now, possibility for the first time since getting my OLED 4.5 years ago, and goddamn this is a lovely transfer.

Compression artifacts abound and it's oddly over sharpened.

The Wrath of Khan is the only original series movie to receive a non-lovely Blu-ray release. VI's is especially bad because of egregious digital noise reduction, so severe to the point that you can see the seams of Shatner's toupee application on his forehead.

At least the Blu-ray doesn't have the godawful flashbacks to the co-conspirators during Valeris' interrogation on the bridge. I remember buying the two-disc DVD when I lived in Baltimore, and I was sitting on the couch, jaw agape, when I saw that poo poo. And I thought the Colonel West Scooby Doo ending was silly...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's crazy that we live in a world where I have a 4k disc release of "They Live" in my library but none of the TOS or Next Generation moves have been given the treatment.

I'm still extremely pissed that there's a HDR graded TWoK 4k transfer sitting for years on a hard drive out there and I can't buy it on disc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

I just checked Hulu, it's HD just like Netflix.

Only seasons 1 & 2. 3-7 are all SD, and a few even have blink-and-miss-it station identification cards between act breaks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dumb but genuine question, how do you still watch things on discs? I cannot remember the last time I even saw an optical drive or a disc. When I was buying parts for my new desktop, there wasn't a single case that even had a slot where you could install a drive. Do you use an external? Are DVD players still a thing?

I got a box copy of Fallout: New Vegas in 2010 and that's probably the last time I've touched physical media. Am I the weird one?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'll always buy movies and tv on physical because you can't trust the rights-holders to keep things available on streaming. I bought Dawn of the Dead on DVD when I was in college and it hasn't been in print since, not counting the $100 import from the UK released last year.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I'll always buy movies and tv on physical because you can't trust the rights-holders to keep things available on streaming. I bought Dawn of the Dead on DVD when I was in college and it hasn't been in print since, not counting the $100 import from the UK released last year.

Hell, same. Been buying DVD’s for 20 years and I don’t have to worry about them disappearing from existence for years at a time (or possibly forever). I bought the DVD release of Freaked the day it came out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't buy movies very often these days, but when I do its on Blu-Ray or UHD. For whatever reason I refuse to buy movies from a streaming service when I'm perfectly fine buying games digitally.

EDIT: ^^^^Also that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I don't do streaming either, too unreliable.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Grand Fromage posted:

Dumb but genuine question, how do you still watch things on discs?

PS3, for me. Also my desktop computer is nine years old and my laptop is like 14 years old, so both have DVD-R drives in them, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

Am I the weird one?

Yes :colbert:

I constantly buy stuff, especially blu-rays, because I’m tired of relying on over a dozen different streaming services just to watch the things I enjoy. And it’s only going to get worse as more studios and networks want their own slice of the pie and make their poo poo exclusive to their homegrown services. And that’s before you even factor in the terrible playback quality issues present on a lot of streaming sites.

There’s also a whole lot of stuff that never hits streaming, so physical discs (or :filez:) are the only way to watch them.