Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Zore posted:

I mean this is true of a male courier but honestly based on how the Legion treats women joining with them as one is basically equivalent to helping out the Enclave. Your position of honor and comfort will last until the second Caesar dies and he's not long for the world.

To be fair, a smart female Courier who helped the Legion should just take the money/stuff they gave to them and skedaddle out of their territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Flesh Forge posted:

And that's why they're going to do Fallout 5: The Enclave

You joke but Bethesda only knows how to recycle four things from Fallout and the Enclave is one.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

oh jay posted:

The Enclave find a time machine and remove the Chosen One from history. They are then able to restore America to its former glory with ease.

Introducing Fallout: Red White & Blue Alert.

I'm escaping to the one place uncorrupted by communism - (pause to hold back laughter) - SPACE!

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 3, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Defiance Industries posted:

You joke but Bethesda only knows how to recycle four things from Fallout and the Enclave is one.

I honestly would not be a bit surprised.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
i'm glad that the fallout fandom has reached its final form and just become the silent hill fandom again

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Gulping Again posted:

i'm glad that the fallout fandom has reached its final form and just become the silent hill fandom again

Their wiki's being manned by someone with an intrusive hatred of circumcision?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ironslave posted:

Their wiki's being manned by someone with an intrusive hatred of circumcision?

What was the story behind that again? It went kind of off the rails from what little I recall

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What was the story behind that again? It went kind of off the rails from what little I recall
An admin on the Silent Hill wiki went completely bananas and was obsessed with circumcision. He thought it was male genital mutilation and part of some satanic/illuminati conspiracy. If it happened in 2020 the guy probably would have merged his insanity in with Q's pedophile stuff.
He rewrote tons of stuff on the wiki to shoehorn in his insanity. When called out on it, he did the standard conspiracy theorist thing of calling everyone brainwashed sheep who can't see the truth. If I recall right, he did also demanded proof from another user who's a mother that she hadn't "mutilated" her son. Which if you think for a moment what that proof would be is... :stare:

It was a moment where most of the Internet and even some mainstream media went "WTF?!", so you can probably find tons of stuff about if you want to see the details.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raygereio posted:

An admin on the Silent Hill wiki went completely bananas and was obsessed with circumcision. He thought it was male genital mutilation and part of some satanic/illuminati conspiracy. If it happened in 2020 the guy probably would have merged his insanity in with Q's pedophile stuff.
He rewrote tons of stuff on the wiki to shoehorn in his insanity. When called out on it, he did the standard conspiracy theorist thing of calling everyone brainwashed sheep who can't see the truth. If I recall right, he did also demanded proof from another user who's a mother that she hadn't "mutilated" her son. Which if you think for a moment what that proof would be is... :stare:

It was a moment where most of the Internet and even some mainstream media went "WTF?!", so you can probably find tons of stuff about if you want to see the details.

Was this the same person who went on the rant about Cassandra from Dragon Age 2 being transgender? The genital mutilation angle sounds so familiar and I was just thinking about this the other day when I was trying to remember one of the crazier bioware fan stories from way back.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk if there's an fo4 modding thread but i just wanted to share that i spent 2 hours debugging buffout 4 and digging through events viewer and various log files, only to discover that first somehow my c++ 2015-2019 redistro had installed but without putting any libraries in place; how was anything on my computer working? and that after the next hour i never actually put the address file plugin in the right folder, so buffout 4 just exception'd out every time.

I love PC gaming.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

idk if there's an fo4 modding thread but i just wanted to share that i spent 2 hours debugging buffout 4 and digging through events viewer and various log files, only to discover that first somehow my c++ 2015-2019 redistro had installed but without putting any libraries in place; how was anything on my computer working? and that after the next hour i never actually put the address file plugin in the right folder, so buffout 4 just exception'd out every time.

I love PC gaming.

Same thing happened to me a week or two back, couldn't figure out what the deal was so I did a reset of the OS and that fixed things up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Circumcision is, for reasons I’ve not looked into, a sort of sub-type of schizophrenic reasoning. For some reason it seems to be a not-uncommon fixation.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 5, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Raygereio posted:

An admin on the Silent Hill wiki went completely bananas and was obsessed with circumcision. He thought it was male genital mutilation and part of some satanic/illuminati conspiracy.

well I mean,

it is :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Discendo Vox posted:

Circumcision is, for reasons I’ve not looked into, a sort of sub-type of schizophrenic reasoning.

Maybe he thought they were trying to steal his vital essence via circumcision.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

well I mean,
John Harvey Kellogg was completely off his rocker, but he wasn't a Satanist.

Anyway, here's something neat that deserves attention: Infinite Loading Screen Fix

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Discendo Vox posted:

Circumcision is, for reasons I’ve not looked into, a sort of sub-type of schizophrenic reasoning. For some reason it seems to be a not-uncommon fixation.

It mostly boils down to men being insecure about their dicks and needing to defend how theirs looks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Flesh Forge posted:

well I mean,

Strictly speaking yes, but what Raygereio meant was that this guy specifically referred to circumcision as male genital mutilation (MGM), including that acronym, in order to draw an equivalency between it and female genital mutilation (FGM.) That's what I recall, anyway. I think a lot of this has been lost.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ariong posted:

Strictly speaking yes, but what Raygereio meant was that this guy specifically referred to circumcision as male genital mutilation (MGM), including that acronym, in order to draw an equivalency between it and female genital mutilation (FGM.) That's what I recall, anyway. I think a lot of this has been lost.

Some of the screenshots are still around:

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/676517157539356672?s=20

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/676520250045804545

Some more here: http://archive.is/X0gkm

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaius Marius posted:

The Master Vs. The Enclave is pretty much F1 writing Vs. F2 writing in a nutshell.

The master is a flawed dude whose been through some serious poo poo. They're honestly trying to make the world a better place, but their actions are misguided and destructive. And if you do the legwork and get proof that their plan is flawed you can confront them and in despair the Master will end his own life. You can seriously empathize with whats happens to the poor dude and how he ended up making everything worse despite his best intentions.

The enclave wants to kill everyone because they're evil, has Dan Quaylye as a vice president. And instead of a challenging combat encounter, that can be subverted with dialogue backed up with facts. You get a nobody with weapons literally called End boss plasma gun. It's a good thing the huboligists exist or the Enclave would be the worst faction in their own game.

Fallout 2 sucks and the F3 version of the Enclave is somehow better even if their plans exactly the same. Probably just because the faction leader is voiced by Malcolm McDowell instead of whomever was doing Dick Richardson. Their armor is cool though.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. There's plenty of things to criticize Fallout 2 about but the main story and its themes are just as good if not better than Fallout 1's. The Enclave represent the ideology that led America to the war that destroyed it, the literal architects of the apocalypse. The Master was a new ideology that threatened to end humanity, the Enclave is the ideology that already nearly did so, poised to do it again. The mistakes of the past threatening to engulf the burgeoning civilizations that painstakingly built themselves back up from nothing. Of course they can't be reasoned with, the apocalypse itself didn't change their worldview, it would be absurd if you could reason them out of it. To me, if the Enclave is anything, it's prescient, because we're living in a world where the billionaires who refuse to do anything to stem global warming (and even deny its existence) because it would cut into their profits are secretly preparing survival scenarios for when it destroys the inhabitable world. The Enclave is simply a different manifestation of that elitist mindset. They literally do not consider anyone outside their group to be worth anything unless they can benefit them. Hell, I'm sure the Enclave leaders would gladly get rid of their grunts if they didn't think it endangered the hierarchical structure and long term survival of the group, content to simply exist as a group of men and women in offices in giant empty buildings.

This isn't a weakness of the writing. It's the point. To them, America is the people in charge, and those people coming to harm or losing power in any way would be a greater blow to America than the literal annihilation of most of its population. This too reflects the real history of military regimes, such as imperial Japan near the end of World War 2, when 2 nuclear loving bombs did not precipitate their surrender, because they were more concerned about the preservation of the Emperor's role than the lives of their citizenry.

While the Enclave is obviously an overt critique and parody of the 90s republican mindset, it also critiques problems that are endemic to the US as a whole. A contempt for the lower classes and outsiders, a preference for military solutions to any problem, a worship of hierarchy that disregards any actual qualifications or intent, an unshakeable belief that they are inherently worth more than anyone outside their group. Frank Horrigan isn't just an End Boss, either, he's someone who's completely embraced all of those ideals despite being at the bottom of the food chain. He's the boot of the enclave and he loves it, even though he's used to destroy people and creatures that have far more in common with him than his superiors. He's not the architect of anything, but his devotion to what the Enclave represents makes him as powerful a symbol of his faction as The Master was to his. He also can't be reasoned with, because why the hell would he be? Have you ever heard of a swat cop or a marine in occupied territory being reasoned out of taking out their target? Do you think the SS officers could be reasoned into thinking the untermensch were their equals? You could argue not being able to avoid that fight is bad gameplay, but I don't consider it bad writing.

The Enclave is a faction that can only be challenged with force because force is the only way they engage with the outside world. They can't be permitted to survive because the wastes won't survive unless they make a clean break with the mistakes of the past. I think everything about them, even the absurd mentally damaged vice president, is pointed and thematically appropriate.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Edit: This all said, everyone who made an rear end of themselves with the Richard Spencer stuff is still a putz. Like really Lurdiak, take the L.

Just for the record:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 5, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. There's plenty of things to criticize Fallout 2 about but the main story and its themes are just as good if not better than Fallout 1's. The Enclave represent the ideology that led America to the war that destroyed it, the literal architects of the apocalypse. The Master was a new ideology that threatened to end humanity, the Enclave is the ideology that already nearly did so, poised to do it again. The mistakes of the past threatening to engulf the burgeoning civilizations that painstakingly built themselves back up from nothing. Of course they can't be reasoned with, the apocalypse itself didn't change their worldview, it would be absurd if you could reason them out of it. To me, if the Enclave is anything, it's prescient, because we're living in a world where the billionaires who refuse to do anything to stem global warming (and even deny its existence) because it would cut into their profits are secretly preparing survival scenarios for when it destroys the inhabitable world. The Enclave is simply a different manifestation of that elitist mindset. They literally do not consider anyone outside their group to be worth anything unless they can benefit them. Hell, I'm sure the Enclave leaders would gladly get rid of their grunts if they didn't think it endangered the hierarchical structure and long term survival of the group, content to simply exist as a group of men and women in offices in giant empty buildings.

This isn't a weakness of the writing. It's the point. To them, America is the people in charge, and those people coming to harm or losing power in any way would be a greater blow to America than the literal annihilation of most of its population. This too reflects the real history of military regimes, such as imperial Japan near the end of World War 2, when 2 nuclear loving bombs did not precipitate their surrender, because they were more concerned about the preservation of the Emperor's role than the lives of their citizenry.

While the Enclave is obviously an overt critique and parody of the 90s republican mindset, it also critiques problems that are endemic to the US as a whole. A contempt for the lower classes and outsiders, a preference for military solutions to any problem, a worship of hierarchy that disregards any actual qualifications or intent, an unshakeable belief that they are inherently worth more than anyone outside their group. Frank Horrigan isn't just an End Boss, either, he's someone who's completely embraced all of those ideals despite being at the bottom of the food chain. He's the boot of the enclave and he loves it, even though he's used to destroy people and creatures that have far more in common with him than his superiors. He's not the architect of anything, but his devotion to what the Enclave represents makes him as powerful a symbol of his faction as The Master was to his. He also can't be reasoned with, because why the hell would he be? Have you ever heard of a swat cop or a marine in occupied territory being reasoned out of taking out their target? Do you think the SS officers could be reasoned into thinking the untermensch were their equals? You could argue not being able to avoid that fight is bad gameplay, but I don't consider it bad writing.

The Enclave is a faction that can only be challenged with force because force is the only way they engage with the outside world. They can't be permitted to survive because the wastes won't survive unless they make a clean break with the mistakes of the past. I think everything about them, even the absurd mentally damaged vice president, is pointed and thematically appropriate.

:yeah:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ariong posted:

That's what I recall, anyway. I think a lot of this has been lost.

How appropriate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think there's any study or anything that shows people who are circumcised are more or less well adjusted than people who aren't, but I can see why people who probably have severe underlying mental health issues freak the gently caress out at the concept of someone chopping off a piece of your dick.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I’ve been following the development of LWOTC, the long war 2 port for the xcom 2 expansion and its amazing how disciplined they are compared to nexus modders

It’s easily the biggest Xcom 2 mod, and it’s been technically out for 2 years by now(as in its playable from start to end and available for public download), but they’ve done no press releases, no hype and have more or less kept buzz about it to a small subreddit that they use to get bug feedback, to the point that even diehard long war fans don’t know it’s in production.

The reason is bc they don’t want to push out an unfinished product and have decided not to publicize the mod until it’s feature complete and doesn’t have any bugs, major balance issues or unintegrated expansion features that would affect playability.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

And that's why they're going to do Fallout 5: The Enclave

I was gonna say you could probably do enclave content somewhat interestingly in like a very early post apocalypse setting to be free from 1-3. but apparently thats what fallout 76 covers lol. so they hctually beat you to the punch already.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

I was gonna say you could probably do enclave content somewhat interestingly in like a very early post apocalypse setting to be free from 1-3. but apparently thats what fallout 76 covers lol. so they hctually beat you to the punch already.

Didn’t fallout 3 partially explain the enclave being around by saying that there are enclave cells all over the country, with oil rig refugees stopping in Chicago and the like? I think Bethesda did that to keep the option of never doing a game without the enclave open

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Enclave are Galt's Gulch residents. They exist to exemplify the failures of Americana as Lurdiak post elaborates on and to be burned away in a fitting and ironic way, such as an oil rig inferno.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Didn’t fallout 3 partially explain the enclave being around by saying that there are enclave cells all over the country, with oil rig refugees stopping in Chicago and the like? I think Bethesda did that to keep the option of never doing a game without the enclave open

The Chicago thing is actually Obsidian's fault. It was mentioned in Lonesome Road, don't think it was part of Fallout 3 at all.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The Chicago thing is actually Obsidian's fault. It was mentioned in Lonesome Road, don't think it was part of Fallout 3 at all.

Pretty sure the only mention of Chicago in 3 was one of the Brotherhood members talking about encountering Super Mutants up there while heading to DC, so yeah, if the Enclave have outposts there they were established after the Brotherhood moved through it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They talk about an Enclave outpost in Chicago in Ed-E's stuff, but it's unclear how long ago those messages were recorded or what happened to it. Autumn is mentioned a few times.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

UED Special Ops posted:

Pretty sure the only mention of Chicago in 3 was one of the Brotherhood members talking about encountering Super Mutants up there while heading to DC, so yeah, if the Enclave have outposts there they were established after the Brotherhood moved through it.

It's also possible that any Enclave enclaves are just well-hidden. After losing their Oil Rig/President, and then their Capital Wasteland HQ, I'm sure any surviving elements of the Enclave are probably hunkering down and hiding, or deciding to radically re-think their role since they've been almost wiped out not once but twice.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

They also turbofucked themselves from the word go and imploded faster than any other Enclave group

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The 76 Enclave are fun at least. They also make sense in that they're based around the actual congressional bunker and seem to have been mostly also rans not good enough for the Rig and people caught on the wrong side of the country when things went to hell.

Also the fact that they almost entirely wiped themselves out with factional power jockeying even before the scorched got at them was on point.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A Sometimes Food posted:

The 76 Enclave are fun at least. They also make sense in that they're based around the actual congressional bunker and seem to have been mostly also rans not good enough for the Rig and people caught on the wrong side of the country when things went to hell.

Also the fact that they almost entirely wiped themselves out with factional power jockeying even before the scorched got at them was on point.

Oh it's even worse than that.

They're the source of the scorched

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Oh it's even worse than that.

They're the source of the scorched

Well, yes. A major running theme of 76 is that Things Were hosed Bad and the bombs dropping only accelerated problems that were already growing

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
love to see mod-induced bugs pop up 30 hours into a playthrough

for some reason blind deathclaws are invisible for me now, which although ironically funny also caused Cass and ED-E to eat poo poo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Halser posted:

for some reason blind deathclaws are invisible
it's only fair

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you ever launched Mod Organizer only to find that your plug-in order has been completely scrambled?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you ever launched Mod Organizer only to find that your plug-in order has been completely scrambled?

You can create a backup of your loadorder and organize it with the Create Backup and Restore Backup buttons above the left and right panels.

Are you running VNV? There should be a loadorder.txt you can load into mo2 also that will arrange things properly.

If none of the above applies, put on some coffee and get to organizing them individually.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Ever since I killed the Mr Gutsy in Nipton, ED-E has been making extremely loud metal collision sounds pretty much every time he does anything in an interior location :negative:

Must be the ghost of that poor bot haunting me.

Cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it or why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

Ever since I killed the Mr Gutsy in Nipton, ED-E has been making extremely loud metal collision sounds pretty much every time he does anything in an interior location :negative:

Must be the ghost of that poor bot haunting me.

Cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it or why.

Relaunching the game usually solves a stuck sound