Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

FF8 and FF13-3 both did this for real and FFXII joked it with a move called Ultimate Illusion
Deltarune too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJRQlcLW71w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's the latter, the solid dot means that that person is an "enforcer" and can see through your disguise. An empty dot means that that person would be an enforcer but is incapacitated in some way and won't react to you, for instance, maybe because you just made them sick by spiking their drink.

Typically you're more suspicious if you run, and if you're not allowed to have a gun out visibly then it will be marked with a red ! in the corner. You can blend in with crowds (not necessarily all of them) in Hitman 2 and 3, and this is marked with a white circle around 47 and a note at the bottom of the screen.

I tried Hitman 2 a while back but never got into it because it seemed like everyone just instantly got suspicious of me and I never got to the point of pulling off comedy shenanigans. Maybe stuff like that wasn't explained super well, or my brain just decided to ignore it for some reason. I need to give it another try.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I started playing a little bit of Hitman again and I like it but I'm gently caress all if I can predict or tell what the hell makes someone suspicious or how to calmly walk away from it. I have the right clothes on, the right weapons out (or none at all), walk calmly, chill and I can't loving fool anybody half the time.

I think the white dots above certain people's heads either mean I blend with them or I stand out but I'm not sure. I think it means I'm in the clear with those dudes when the dot is solid but the game still seems inconsistent about it. It's a fun game. I just wish it were a little more clear about wtf is going on sometimes.

You should go back and play the boat level and the intro mission. That should get you squared away with the mechanics

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Watching Giant Bomb play Hitman has taught me that having no idea how to play Hitman is no barrier to enjoying playing Hitman.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wait what. I don't remember this fight at all. :stare:

Edit: Goddammit. Got me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

I know the options are there but all I want is to just try the fight again because I want a challenge that starts me on even playing ground. The second time it happened to me was right after I got the shield power, I got shot down to a sliver of hp in the trial area and once I returned to the ‘normal’ world a fight started and I immediately got blasted and that’s just silly.

Also, while I like the fact that your dash will destroy objects in the environment, the devs decided that some of the objects that should break are guard rails on bridges miles above the ground which lead to me dashing through the rails and falling to my death. OSHA would be pissed at this place.

I was honestly posting that because I could've sworn that health regen was a thing in there but it wasn't, as it turns out.

I haven't played it in a while but I don't think that activating them requires the game to refresh so if things go badly again, just turn immortality on and off so you'll at least have full health for the next attempt.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Dyson Sphere Program:

It's a factory building game in early access not unlike Factorio, but single player, 3D, and with a whole bunch of solar systems instead of one world. It also has no enemies to deal with but that's fine.

The problem is I'm at a point in early-midgame where I need two resources that aren't present on the starting planet, and in order to research interplanetary logistics I need a solid amount of them. So in order to be able to automate getting them back to my factory planet, I need to gather a whole lot of them and then carry them back in my character's inventory. This is tedious as hell, and I should at least be able to get some basic transports going before having to leave the starting planet.

And power generation is another issue. Solar, Wind, Thermal (their word for combustion) are all fairly weak, take up space, and sometimes use fuel. This is probably because the game is about building a Dyson sphere. But I'm just starting to actually get solar sails up in orbit, and it turns out that the receivers have a fairly strict and low cap on how much they can get at early levels, and they can only receive when they can see the sun. Fusion's a ways off still (need the next tier of research, see above), so I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I know it's there essentially as a puzzle mechanic, but I find it funny in the Hitman games when you need a specific tool (for example, a crowbar to break something open or a screwdriver to puncture something) when you're laden down with your own bodyweight in similar items. I always imagine 47 staring at the lock on a gate in frustration and turning away sadly because he has no crowbar, even when he's carrying a battle axe, shotgun and who knows what else.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaius Marius posted:

You should go back and play the boat level and the intro mission. That should get you squared away with the mechanics

I've done the boat a few times. Problem is, I go a month or two without playing again and forget a lot of poo poo. Hitman has a pretty complex control scheme and overall mechanic too (IMO). Somehow, I just noticed how many auto saves the game gives you so that's helped me a lot when I gently caress something up.

Also, I know it's not how the game is ideally meant to be played but sometimes it's fun to go full bloodbath psycho murderer with it and see how far I can still get. Couple of times, I miraculously made it out of a level with an absolute pile of bodies behind me.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Hitman games encourage people to go ballistic and start shooting everything in sight, why do you think there's so many shotguns and assault rifles to unlock.

Just saying gently caress IT and start blasting after a camera ruined your perfect attempt is just good.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I tried to violently clear levels a few times in H2 but pretty much every single time the game crashed at some point :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Hitman games encourage people to go ballistic and start shooting everything in sight, why do you think there's so many shotguns and assault rifles to unlock.

Just saying gently caress IT and start blasting after a camera ruined your perfect attempt is just good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRC5ab5tLUY

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

JackSplater posted:

Dyson Sphere Program:

It's a factory building game in early access not unlike Factorio, but single player, 3D, and with a whole bunch of solar systems instead of one world. It also has no enemies to deal with but that's fine.

The problem is I'm at a point in early-midgame where I need two resources that aren't present on the starting planet

And power generation is another issue.

First, only one resource isn't at home, you can get silicon via stone at scale. And yes, you kinda do have to ferry a backpack of titanium home, but one full backpack should be enough to at least get "it's only 30 sec to nearby planets" tech

Secondly, and this one got me too, automate the dyson receivers AND solar panels. The low throughput still makes them the most energy dense real-estate wise. I also had one planet pretty much dedicated to solar sail launching with an equatorial belt of railguns which was rad

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

I know but when I get in the mood for a game like Hitman it's usually because I want a break from run and gun stuff and want to be super cool stealth guy and get into something with a slower pace. Saying "gently caress it" once did work out great for me in Paris once where I got a close, clean shot at my target from a balcony and just capped her then slid down a drain pipe I was lucky to find and calmly strolled out of there.

The thing dragging it down for me is part muscle memory and part remembering that I have so much to look at. I got tired of the boat after 3 or 4 times so I just said gently caress it and dove in.

Also, sometimes I can't tell if there's a witness nearby when I try to do sneaky poo poo. I tried choking out a waiter in an alleyway to get his uniform several times and I'm gently caress all if I can tell how I got spotted every time I did it. Coast looked clear to me. :shrug:.

I am bad at Hitmanning.

These are great but I don't want to accidentally spoil any levels I haven't tried yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There is also this approach to Hitman.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How Not To Play Hitman is actually the correct way to play hitman

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Got the family a switch for Christmas and it's weird how Nintendo keeps releasing inferior versions of their own games. I played SMW and it's the original rather than the GBA version, which you can at least kind of justify since it's a streaming Snes thing specifically, but the 3D all-stars game uses the original Mario 64 rather than the DS one and its just such a big downgrade. At least give people the option if you want to do it for purist reasons or whatever

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blood Money is my favourite Hitman game because that's when they really nailed that it's basically a puzzle game where the solution is always murder.

Admittedly I've only played Codename 47, Contracts, and Blood Money. I haven't even tried any of the new ones or the lovely one with the sexy murder nuns.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Blood Money is my favourite Hitman game because that's when they really nailed that it's basically a puzzle game where the solution is always murder.

Admittedly I've only played Codename 47, Contracts, and Blood Money. I haven't even tried any of the new ones or the lovely one with the sexy murder nuns.

Absolution is a good game, it's just not a good Hitman game. It did introduce the challenges though which make it a lot more funny and carried over to the new trilogy, which are like a less restrictive Blood Money

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Retro Futurist posted:

Got the family a switch for Christmas and it's weird how Nintendo keeps releasing inferior versions of their own games. I played SMW and it's the original rather than the GBA version, which you can at least kind of justify since it's a streaming Snes thing specifically, but the 3D all-stars game uses the original Mario 64 rather than the DS one and its just such a big downgrade. At least give people the option if you want to do it for purist reasons or whatever

Nintendo generally value originals over their remakes/remasters; for the same reason we'll probably never see Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green again.

It's different to the rest of the industry, who generally prefer to basically overwrite the original with the remake, but personally I prefer it. I've seen enough remakes that either go off and do their own thing or actively make the game worse at what I love it for (the Mass Effect 1 remaster looking like one of them, as an aside) that I love how Nintendo's approach is to prioritize the originals.

Putting Mario 64 DS on the Switch would've been a lot more work for a lot less payoff, anyway. That game made a LOT of weird, janky concessions to work on the DS that would look so much worse on a console that also has a perfectly solid port of the original. You'd probably learn pretty fast that in this case, they didn't 'release an inferior version' by sticking with the 64.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FreudianSlippers posted:

You should really try the current trilogy then.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trying out For The King, and as far as I can tell there isn't any tooltip or whatever that tells you some weapons have ammo and require turns to be spent reloading. Irritating.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wanna but I'm old* and all that episodic season stuff they seem to have confuses me.

I'll probably play them all in one go in like four years and love them.

*Actually only 30 but very dumb.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Last Of Us 2:
They added dog enemies to the human side. I'm fine killing hundreds of mushroom people and various human factions but I don't want to bash a pipe into some dogs face.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I love Doom Eternal, as it's crazy fun, fast paced, and the lore is actually interesting and feels like it adds a lot (for me, at least; I can understand if you weren't a fan), and I just completed Ancient Gods part one.

Was it just me, or did that feel like a significant ramp in difficulty compared to the base game? Maybe I'm just getting old and can't hang with the fast pace anymore, but it felt like I spent more time getting my rear end kicked than doing the rear end kicking.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Leavemywife posted:

I love Doom Eternal, as it's crazy fun, fast paced, and the lore is actually interesting and feels like it adds a lot (for me, at least; I can understand if you weren't a fan), and I just completed Ancient Gods part one.

Was it just me, or did that feel like a significant ramp in difficulty compared to the base game? Maybe I'm just getting old and can't hang with the fast pace anymore, but it felt like I spent more time getting my rear end kicked than doing the rear end kicking.

It's just you and every reviewer, podcaster and others who played this game. It's harder and makes you switch weapons to deal.

EDIT: it's also me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wanna but I'm old* and all that episodic season stuff they seem to have confuses me.

I'll probably play them all in one go in like four years and love them.

*Actually only 30 but very dumb.

They ditched the episodic stuff after 2016, so now if you want to play the entire thing you get Hitman 3 and then get 2 and 2016 as DLC for it.

It's more complicated if you already own stuff though, which is something dragging down Hitman 3 for PC players at the moment.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Feb 6, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Earthbound gives you a bike to move around faster, but you can't use it if you have multiple party members. Why? And they give it to you in the same town that you get the second member.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Because it's got a sweet-rear end bell and tune. :colbert:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I actually would prefer if Hitman was episodic. The way you're encouraged to replay each level over and over works so much better when the next level isn't already there waiting for you to play it.

Gaius Marius posted:

Earthbound gives you a bike to move around faster, but you can't use it if you have multiple party members. Why? And they give it to you in the same town that you get the second member.

There's actually one more time in the game when you can ride it:

At the very end, after dropping everyone off. There's even a unique set of sounds if you ride it in the swamp water

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

You also can’t just drop it so you have to call the pizza place to come pick it up.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Alexander Hamilton posted:

You also can’t just drop it so you have to call the pizza place to come pick it up.

thats escargot delivery, not mach pizza!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Last Of Us 2:
They added dog enemies to the human side. I'm fine killing hundreds of mushroom people and various human factions but I don't want to bash a pipe into some dogs face.

Similarly, I was fine with killing soldiers in A Plague Tale: Innocence but then the game asked me to kill a pig. In a really horrible way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ghost of Tsushima desensitized me pretty quickly to killing big fluffy attack dogs, but then made me go back to feeling bad by adding a "recruit dog" ability that I don't use because it's not really worthwhile :smithicide:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've been wasting evil dogs since Resident Evil 1 and I have no regrets

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Those dogs are former good boys, though, and wouldn't want to live as an undead scourge.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been wasting evil dogs since Wolfenstein 3D and I have no regrets

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I sometimes feel a little weird going full Lee Harvey Oswald on the animal companions enemies can have in AC: Odyssey but considering they can be anything from a wolf, to a big cat, to a huge loving bear I can't feel that bad about it.

(Also thanks to Civvie I now instinctively hear the Police Squad theme when I use Predator Arrow to do so.)

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Feb 7, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I actually would prefer if Hitman was episodic. The way you're encouraged to replay each level over and over works so much better when the next level isn't already there waiting for you to play it.

There's actually one more time in the game when you can ride it:

At the very end, after dropping everyone off. There's even a unique set of sounds if you ride it in the swamp water

Well Great, I stopped at Paula's house and got the bear before I picked up the bike, So I guess I'm waiting for awhile before I can hear that tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I picked up Dicey Dungeons on sale, and it's a fun randomized deckbuilder game with a cute gameshow aesthetic. But one thing that sticks out as annoying is that while opening new challenges requires hitting a level with at least five opponents, that's apparently not guaranteed to happen on any particular run. It just feels kinda dumb to make it through two runs in a row that did nothing to advance my progress because the RNG gods decided I only needed to face a maximum of four enemies on any level :sigh: