Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Aero737 posted:

I bought the standalone DCS A10 on steam back in 2013. Is this not compatible with DCS world? It looks like the steam page no longer exists.

If you own either A-10C or A-10A from eons ago, these became modules of DCS World on Steam and shouldn't require much from you to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vahakyla posted:

If you own either A-10C or A-10A from eons ago, these became modules of DCS World on Steam and shouldn't require much from you to work.

If you bought A-10C in beta then you also got the Nevada map for free.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Anyone still flying IL-2? I have been shocked by how many people only play single player. I started playing on the Finnish Virtual Pilot Server (I am not associated with the server) and I am in absolute love with it. That one server has totally reignited my passion to fly again and I think it's the best server to fly on in any sim game right now.

For those that are curious I made a video basically breaking down how the server works. Would recommend for any who are tempted to fly MP again in IL-2 Great Battles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqU4YZUG15s

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Was there an MSFS update coming this week?

Also, question to ask:

Recently upgraded a 1080ti to a 3090. First thing I tried was the challenge, landing the A320 at dusk. I noticed a couple of "hiccups" like frame rate staggers while playing it, mostly shortly after starting it... but other than that it was very smooth.

I don't remember if that happened originally with the ti.

Anyone recall if that's normal?

All I did for uninstall of the old 1080ti was uninstall the drivers, swapped cards, rebooted (windows then automatically did something to give me my proper desktop rez) and then I re-installed the newest drivers as with a clean install option checked.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Enigma89 posted:

Anyone still flying IL-2? I have been shocked by how many people only play single player.

I understand that, though. Playing multiplayer, especially on your own, is just plain punishing. For me it's either playing on my own or hooking up with a group of casuals. You'll still feel like complete suckers but at least you're all failing your mission together.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

slidebite posted:

Also, question to ask:

Recently upgraded a 1080ti to a 3090. First thing I tried was the challenge, landing the A320 at dusk. I noticed a couple of "hiccups" like frame rate staggers while playing it, mostly shortly after starting it... but other than that it was very smooth.

All I did for uninstall of the old 1080ti was uninstall the drivers, swapped cards, rebooted (windows then automatically did something to give me my proper desktop rez) and then I re-installed the newest drivers as with a clean install option checked.

That doesn't sound abnormal. It could have been shaders recompiling for the new card, or it may have been hitting the cpu loading texture data from the cloud or something and not have had anything to do with the gpu at all.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Enigma89 posted:

Anyone still flying IL-2?

That's a really cool video !

The Il-2 thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

slidebite posted:

Also, question to ask:

I have a 3090 and a 5800x and experience very rare and very brief pauses, generally at the start of a flight. Seems to be unavoidable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK thanks for the info folks. I seem to recall the odd hiccup with the 1080ti as well, and was darn near tempted to re-install it to compare, but I don't think I'll bother.

Now, to decide if the ti goes into Mrs. Slidebites hand-me-down PC or sell it with the GPU hysteria going on :/

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Noosphere posted:

That's a really cool video !

The Il-2 thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413

Oh wow I didn't even know there was a separate thread, thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

slidebite posted:

The update is coming sometime next week.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Clouds'R'Nice.

What bugs me tho is that a lot of player labels don't show airframe and altitude data. Seems to apply to 80% of people.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
DCS equivalent is going to be a ways out, but I think even with the upgrade, the priority is having cloud sync across players, to have consistent dogfights.

Gosh I miss flying stuff, there are some new Hornet features that I definitely need to get on

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Someone upthread posted a guide to VR settings for MSFS2020 I think, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a link?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Enos Cabell posted:

Someone upthread posted a guide to VR settings for MSFS2020 I think, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942445&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=33#post511995362

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thank you!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

RangerKarl posted:

DCS equivalent is going to be a ways out, but I think even with the upgrade, the priority is having cloud sync across players, to have consistent dogfights.
That ought to be possible. After all, the procedural cloud generator needs specific inputs (time of day, coordinates, a seed, and whatever else), and they should be easy to be kept in sync. If the code on each instance gets the same inputs, they should generate the same volumetric data.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Clouds'R'Nice.

What bugs me tho is that a lot of player labels don't show airframe and altitude data. Seems to apply to 80% of people.

Is that your F15? If so, how is it?

FYI if you didn't know, NeoFly has intercept missions added. You're given a search area in which you're supposed to intercept and ID stray planes. That should work nice with the F15.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is that your F15? If so, how is it?
Seems OK. It's the one from DC Designs. Very first release was somewhat rough in flight handling. The recent update is better. The guy is active on the MSFS forums and releasing hotfixes that you can install in parallel to the main release. Works decently. There's still some bugs if you're trying to coldstart the engines. I'm not sure if the drag is modeled correctly, since it takes its sweet time to decelerate from high speeds (then again, it's a tiny overpowered fighter plane), but hey, it doesn't go into overstress failure if I deploy the airbrake at 700kt TAS, so I'll just use that.

(The DCS guys are frequently shitposting about it on screenshots posted on r/flightsim and poo poo like that, but that's to be expected.)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

RangerKarl posted:

Gosh I miss flying stuff, there are some new Hornet features that I definitely need to get on

They are actually slated to release first tuesday of March for DCS Open Beta, based on their youtube trailer released couple days ago. There will only be 5 different weather presets initially, but they promise that multiplayer sync is day 0 feature.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So what's the deal with vectoring for visual approaches?

So did a short flight from CYQL (Lethbridge Alberta) to CYXC (Cranbrook, BC) which basically lies in a valley in the Rockies.

It's very cold outside today, approx -25C and low ice fog.

Do a low level IFR flight plan because I wanted to get vectored into the approach (due to the mountains and low cloud). Do a look at flight and it gets me up to 12K which should be enough and let it automatically give me the approach. Take off, get into the climb and enjoy the gorgeous sunset

Get to my last way point and shortly after ATC says to continue heading and expect 34 visual.

Uh, OK. That's weird, because I know 16 has an ILS. And it's cloudy and miserable. Well, maybe the weather is really different there... a north wind or something.

Get over most of the mountains and then the decent starts to get called.... for 9000, then 8400 then 7100, then 7400, then 9000, then 8100, 7000, 8400, etc, etc. Probably 50-60 altitude changes. It never stopped. Also, the peaks in the area are around 9000 so that's a problem.

Make the descent without dying, get the call that the airport is at my 11 o'clock at 8 miles.

Nothing there but cloud/fog. But, that doesn't stop the co-pilot! Says the airport is in sight and then calls final as well. Great.

Basically, I can only see the approach lights within <1 mile and even then only found it/lined up because of the GPS.

I'm assuming that my experience isn't unique?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
If you are using the default ATC, then that's pretty normal to get a bunch of confusing altitudes and wrong approaches for the weather conditions.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Flying through hilly areas in the northwest taught me that ATC really wants me to descend and "I'm scraping trees here, you rear end" is not in the list of responses.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Has any FS ever had good ATC? I know X-Plane's ATC guided me directly into a mountain in Alaska.

It is weird to me that they've got all these waypoints and approach plates to draw from, but none of the ATC ever seem to direct you to them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think they ever have, but maybe my expectations were too high for this. I prefer visuals if possible to avoid farting with the G1000, but at least with an instrument approach you're probably not going to fly straight into a mountain.

Anyone know if it's an officially acknowledged issue and they're looking at patching?

Also, that sunset with the clouds was great. The screenshot just doesn't do it justice. I still get amazed by the visuals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

World Update 4 will do France and Benelux. Hope that means better satellite data, because textures are pretty meh around here I live. And I hope they'll reimport the latest set of OSM data, because I properly tagged a shitload of buildings in my area that autogen fucks up.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

slidebite posted:

So what's the deal with vectoring for visual approaches?

So did a short flight from CYQL (Lethbridge Alberta) to CYXC (Cranbrook, BC) which basically lies in a valley in the Rockies.

It's very cold outside today, approx -25C and low ice fog.

Do a low level IFR flight plan because I wanted to get vectored into the approach (due to the mountains and low cloud). Do a look at flight and it gets me up to 12K which should be enough and let it automatically give me the approach. Take off, get into the climb and enjoy the gorgeous sunset

Get to my last way point and shortly after ATC says to continue heading and expect 34 visual.

Uh, OK. That's weird, because I know 16 has an ILS. And it's cloudy and miserable. Well, maybe the weather is really different there... a north wind or something.

Get over most of the mountains and then the decent starts to get called.... for 9000, then 8400 then 7100, then 7400, then 9000, then 8100, 7000, 8400, etc, etc. Probably 50-60 altitude changes. It never stopped. Also, the peaks in the area are around 9000 so that's a problem.

Make the descent without dying, get the call that the airport is at my 11 o'clock at 8 miles.

Nothing there but cloud/fog. But, that doesn't stop the co-pilot! Says the airport is in sight and then calls final as well. Great.

Basically, I can only see the approach lights within <1 mile and even then only found it/lined up because of the GPS.

I'm assuming that my experience isn't unique?

ATC doesn't actually do any real vectoring at all. At least not from what I've seen. No heading adjustments to intercept or put you on the right track, just dead silence and broken promises of a safe landing. I like the idea of an ATC but it's not particularly useful at the moment. Just a bunch of "If/Then" statements running in a sequence with no real checks with what your plane is actually (supposed to be) doing. I'd be happy if they just added an "Unable" or "gently caress all the way off!" option that would at least automatically skip the constant altitude changes or go-around stuff and force ATC to move to the next bit.

Also requesting an altitude change just always baffles me. It feels incredibly inconsistent and gets confusing if you change your mind before reaching the target altitude. I wish that they'd just have actual altitudes you want to reach as an option instead of this weird "how much do you want to descent/climb" thing.

I have had pretty good experiences with Pilot2ATC, which has a surprisingly deep ATC system that seems to follow procedures really well. There's a free demo you can try. But be warned, it's a slog to use it to be honest. The UI is a complete mess and building up a radio message from a drop down menu is cumbersome. Also I miss the simulated radio static that MSFS has, which is surprisingly well done and really adds to the atmosphere. It's superficial but when it's not there, like with Pilot2ATC, you really notice its absence. However, like I said, the actual ATC stuff works incredibly well. Even the taxiing stuff is great because it will draw a little map for you, with proper instructions and hold checks with other traffic. I wouldn't use it if I'm just doing a quick little flight but if you wanna get more involved and do a bit of serious flying/planning then it's absolutely worth a shot.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I swear ATC was better in FSX. Altitude changes and vectors made total sense and I could just follow ATC instructions on descent and be lined up for final and never had issues flying into terrain. Am I misremembering or did I maybe have a forgotten mod? I am just always surprised this appears to have broken from FSX to FS2020.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I just found out that the DCS Community mod A-4E-C finally hit beta the other day.

It's a 100% free mod for DCS, you don't need to own any modules so you can use it even if you haven't spent a dime on DCS.

It features a fully interactive (clickable) cockpit, realistic flight model, and has working systems like radar and the bombing computer. You can launch/land on a carrier too. It's really cool and I highly recommend it if you like cold-war era jets. You can even black yourself out doing barrel rolls, which apparently is accurate to the real thing.

https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/releases/tag/v2.0.0-beta-1

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

I swear ATC was better in FSX. Altitude changes and vectors made total sense and I could just follow ATC instructions on descent and be lined up for final and never had issues flying into terrain. Am I misremembering or did I maybe have a forgotten mod? I am just always surprised this appears to have broken from FSX to FS2020.

This was my experience with FSX. FS2020 ATC AI is both rudimentary and highly hosed at the moment.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
There is always VATSIM of which the quality of the ATC has improved a lot since 2010. The pilots on the other hand..

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Isn’t there still creepy registration with ID’s and such?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I always really want to try VATSIM, and I know that I've heard most controllers are helpful, especially if you let them know you're newer and learning, but I know I'm going to get banned the first time someone gives me lip because I messed up and I just beep in with "ahaha cmon man relax" because I had too many whiskeys.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

VATSIM, Pilot's Edge, POSCON, et al will always be better than any built in ATC that comes with a game.

The 124th ATC mod was better than the default XP11 ATC but the bar is set really, REALLY low.

Edit: Don't be this guy. If you don't have a rudimentary understanding of how the radios work, you're going to have a bad time.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 11, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I always really want to try VATSIM, and I know that I've heard most controllers are helpful, especially if you let them know you're newer and learning, but I know I'm going to get banned the first time someone gives me lip because I messed up and I just beep in with "ahaha cmon man relax" because I had too many whiskeys.

Is it "Lip", or is it a clarifying instruction given over a simulated radio trying to not hold up the frequency too long?
I'm not trying to be nippy, but odds are that by far most people are just trying to keep the party going. In real aviation, ATC's can sound snippy too when in fact they are just quickly making sure you understood.

It's important to remember that a place like VATSIM is something specifically designed so people can nerd out with their comms, and if you don't want to nerd out, it's not really your thing. But if you are worried about mis-nerding sometimes or making an error, don't be! Nerds are pretty cool and like to help out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Is it "Lip", or is it a clarifying instruction given over a simulated radio trying to not hold up the frequency too long?
I'm not trying to be nippy, but odds are that by far most people are just trying to keep the party going. In real aviation, ATC's can sound snippy too when in fact they are just quickly making sure you understood.

It's important to remember that a place like VATSIM is something specifically designed so people can nerd out with their comms, and if you don't want to nerd out, it's not really your thing. But if you are worried about mis-nerding sometimes or making an error, don't be! Nerds are pretty cool and like to help out.

I totally get you, but that’s exactly what I mean with my hesitation. I guess maybe I should have phrased it differently, really - I’m not so much trying to indict them as lamenting “I don’t think I have the attitude for Vatsim but I want better atc than what we’ve got.”

I tried Pilot2ATC (on xplane) but it’s just a little too janky and weird.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah, vatsim is still run by a bunch of greybeards that treat running an online MMO like being the head of the ICAO. With that being said, they do require your real name but do not do any ID check when registering and I'm sure nobody will ever know if you use a fake name.

I've done quite a few flights on vatsim the last two weeks just getting familiar with stuff. There are a few good guides that will walk you through exactly how to talk to ATC for a number of different VFR and IFR scenarios.

Pilot Edge CAT and I ratings:
These used to be VATSIM pilot ratings that ZLA ran back in the day. When some of the ZLA guys formed pilot edge they moved the ratings there. You can still follow the guides and videos for good info on how to talk to ATC and how to do these procedures

https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/cat-ratings

https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/i-ratings

VATSIM Boston WINGS program
This is run completely on the vatsim network and works just like the old ZLA ratings did back in the day. They are structured from basic VFR all the way up to complex RNAV and FMS exams. You let the controller know you would like to take one of the exams and they will coordinate it for you.

https://forum.bvartcc.com/bvaportal/wings/intro#:~:text=Boston%20Virtual%20ARTCC's%20Wings%20Over,flight%20simulator%20can%20teach%20you.

I would never recommend doing your first flight in a tubeliner or high performance aircraft since you'll be way behind the plane trying to juggle coms and flying.

Last night I flew into one of Bostons events at Providence in a 172 VFR. It was all kinds of hectic trying to get a bunch of VFR traffic in amongst all the IFR and jet traffic. It was the first time I had flown in a busy airspace and got way behind my plane and was late on getting charts up and frequencies ready. I also ended up having to do a few 360s for spacing and encountered some icing which added to the stress. Despite all that the controllers were helpful and calm during the event despite a bunch of aircraft being handed off incorrectly to the approach final controller.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finally got around to trying out VR in MSFS2020, and holy poo poo is it amazing. Performance wasn't too bad either, after following the settings guide linked earlier. Only problem is that now I'm feeling the urge to pick a favorite plane and reproduce the cockpit 1:1 with working physical switches and controls. The slight disconnect from seeing a yoke while using a CH Fighterstick and Throttle was much more noticeable than when playing flatscreen.

Speaking of planes, did the version on XBOX game pass remove access to most of them? I only had two to choose from.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Finally got around to trying out VR in MSFS2020, and holy poo poo is it amazing. Performance wasn't too bad either, after following the settings guide linked earlier. Only problem is that now I'm feeling the urge to pick a favorite plane and reproduce the cockpit 1:1 with working physical switches and controls. The slight disconnect from seeing a yoke while using a CH Fighterstick and Throttle was much more noticeable than when playing flatscreen.

Speaking of planes, did the version on XBOX game pass remove access to most of them? I only had two to choose from.

You have to manually download the other planes. I think it’s in a content manager page in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Imaginary Baron posted:

You have to manually download the other planes. I think it’s in a content manager page in game.

Interesting, thanks. I think after getting a taste of VR I'm going to actually buy the full game, is there a best storefront to buy from? Seems like there was some fuckery if you bought the game pass version and then let your sub lapse.