Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

post a pic of your kit/how it’s set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Hi, thanks for the advice so far. Here are some pics, and a couple videos. The ride cymbal sits very low because the stand is actually broken. I am currently in the process of getting it replaced. I am just one man with a phone, but I tried to take some pics that would give an idea of how things sit height wise. There is a hand me down rug coming my way that will go under the kit.

To properly hit the toms, I find myself turning the wrist so the thumb is sideways. This kind of messes up the rebound stroke.

Lastly, a couple sound check videos.

https://youtu.be/uYZZ3EbN01s

https://youtu.be/3EvviM4rt0A

Rob Brown has a "tune your snare with me" video that I am going to try to follow along with after this. I could not get the closed hi-hats to emulate the problem I described yesterday, so it may be a problem with technique? They sound like tin cans and do not seem to close in the same position. Instead of making the "tick" sound, they get kind of junky. The original plan was to start taking lessons once it was safe to be in the same room with people, but if I am shooting myself in the foot here I may bite the bullet and do something online. Thanks again for the help!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay so yeah, tilt your toms down a bit so you can comfortably hit them. Try moving your snare over so it's more central, almost in front of your smallest tom, and then you can bring your hi hats in closer.

This is my kit - you can kind of see how the rack toms aren't much higher than the snare, just tilted more. Everything is on a pretty even plane. Not much space between my snare and floor tom, mainly just room for my right leg and that's it. Snare is the central drum to the kit.

hi hats - see that screw on the bottom side of your lower hat? unscrew it until your lower hat is parallel with the top instead of crooked like that. Then loosen the top hat (that big nut on top) and bring it down a bit so there's less of a gap between the two when they're open. I think you'll get the tighter sound you want this way.

One more thing - you're gonna want some kind of rug. Drums and hardwood floors don't mix.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

So much of drum setup is personal - what looks nice and comforable to one drummer is a miserable wreck to another. But you definitely need some carpet or a rug

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

stops the drums from creeping forwards mainly.

also protects the floor from marks

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

When you hit a bass drum pedal the force of your foot sends the beater sideways into the bass drum head. Without something to help reduce friction you’ll find your entire bass drum rig scooting forward on you. It’s nearly impossible to fix while playing and also, why should you have to?

Regarding drum placement, you want to conserve range of motion. Don’t place the toms where you think they should be, put them where you want them to be so that they’re easy to play. Tilt plays a big factor in that as folks have already mentioned. If you have to raise your arm just to play a tom, that kind of adds an unnecessary motion to the equation. By tilting the head towards you a bit, you won’t have to do as much of an arm lift, meaning it’ll be easier to move from drum to drum quickly if needed.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Ok I caved and picked up a dyna sync pedal today and WOW doubles are so easy now

I think the long footboard is the biggest factor, I actually couldn't do heel toe properly with my size 11 feet on my old pedal.

The difference is pretty stark:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I will not rest until this thread is entirely dyna-sync owners!!

buys Tama stonks :v:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 7, 2021

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Oof if you ever plan on playing much without those damper pads: those stock heads gotta go

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Yeah I think I will replace the heads with this month’s fun money. Someone recommended a brand already, but I do not know what makes a good head really so there is some research to do there. Tuning the snare with the Rob Brown video made it clear I did not tighten the heads nearly hard enough. After that I retuned all the rest, and tilled the toms forward. I also moved the snare and the floor tom closer together based on someone else’s advice. All in all, everything sounds a lot better and it is very motivating. I am able to navigate the kit about as well as the electronic set now. Thanks for all the solid advice.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Close to pulling the trigger on a dyna sync

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

amechanicalapple posted:

:bisonyes:

mods please change this to the Only Dyna-Syncs Megathread

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

amechanicalapple posted:

Dammit me too :homebrew: I'm actually pretty close to where I want to be with my chain drive, would be nice if a DS is all it takes to push me over that hump.

Duke Chin posted:

Oof if you ever plan on playing much without those damper pads: those stock heads gotta go

Actually thought his snare and toms 2 and 3 sounded ok, 1 was rough and those cymbals could use some adjustment. Like somebody else said either get some MoonJel or be a garbage drum commando and get some duct tape and put little bits of it around the edges of your drums. Put them on real loose, the idea is to kill those sustained reverberations after you hit them without affecting the initial sound too much.

I don't know if those cymbal dampeners you're using make a difference here, but in general you want them to be able to move pretty freely, not be sandwiched down so hard that they hardly budge when you hit them. This is getting into personal preference but I don't like my hihat cymbals to be set more than an inch or so apart wide open, more than that and I feel like I have to put too much weight to keep them closed. In most cases you'll never want them to be completely separate anyway, even wide open they should still be in slight contact around the back ends so you get that sizzle sound rather than clanging.

For drum heads, when I was first learning my instructor recommended Remo Coated Ring for toms and Remo Sound Control Coated Dot for the snare. The coating will give them a deeper tone and 'softer' response, so if you prefer a higher sound with faster attack then stick with clear heads.

Finally, if you haven't had any lessons at all, be sure to look up a few videos on how to properly hold the sticks. If you do it wrong, best case you'll have to re-learn it later on, worst case you can actually hurt your fingers and/or wrists with repetitive stress injury bullshit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

After upgrading to the dyna-sync my right leg can finally keep up playing along with this song. It used to fly off and shoot across the room when the tempo really gets going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZzVmGuUYQg

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq4SNkt53Q0

If you're thinking about new snare heads, this is a great video. I was surprised to hear such a difference between the brands and consistency within them.

The Remos have that classic sound that I love. Not impressed with the Evans heads. The Aquarians were something else entirely.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hi Musicians Lounge, the circus is in town - come display your skills!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Modern Drummer put out a collection of Neil Peart's cover stories. I'm reading his first one from 1980 and he talked about taping the shaft of his bass drum petal to keep the beater from breaking off and which then break the drum head.

I have broken a million sticks, cracked thousands of dollars worth of cymbals, broken a million drum heads, but I have never hit the bass drum so hard that the beater broke off the shaft. Jesus.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

timp posted:

When you hit a bass drum pedal the force of your foot sends the beater sideways into the bass drum head. Without something to help reduce friction you’ll find your entire bass drum rig scooting forward on you. It’s nearly impossible to fix while playing and also, why should you have to?

Regarding drum placement, you want to conserve range of motion. Don’t place the toms where you think they should be, put them where you want them to be so that they’re easy to play. Tilt plays a big factor in that as folks have already mentioned. If you have to raise your arm just to play a tom, that kind of adds an unnecessary motion to the equation. By tilting the head towards you a bit, you won’t have to do as much of an arm lift, meaning it’ll be easier to move from drum to drum quickly if needed.

Rug is absolutely a good thing to have not only for the comfort but also for sound dampening. I usually tie some small role or w/e around my drum seat and tie it to both "pegs" of the bass drum too, that way my butt can anchor the whole kit without having to worry about the bass drum scooting away as you play it. :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Greggster posted:

Rug is absolutely a good thing to have not only for the comfort but also for sound dampening. I usually tie some small role or w/e around my drum seat and tie it to both "pegs" of the bass drum too, that way my butt can anchor the whole kit without having to worry about the bass drum scooting away as you play it. :)

That's true, I wasn't even thinking about the dampening qualities. And I'm sure that's even more important to consider when you're on a stage!

Let's just say that, after your first time trying to raise the pitch of your timpani mid-song with a foot pedal and having them sail 3 feet across the room instead, you get reeeal conscious about securing your equipment before you start playing :sweatdrop:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've wanted to play drums for years and years, and finally decided to get a used kit (Pearl Export) a couple of months ago. I feel like I'm progressing at a pace that makes me happy (only can play so much with work and family). I'm already looking at pieces that I would like to upgrade, mostly cymbals but the bass pedal I got seems like poo poo now (a rather old Premier). Not sure I'm ready to handle something like the Dyna-Sync, any other recommendations?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

In all seriousness, get an Iron Cobra single. It’s a good pedal, never heard a bad thing about them.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks for the suggestion. Might just grab the low end one to start with.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been playing on an Alesis Crimson 2 kit for the past few years, and I still think the mesh drums are pretty decent but the cymbals and brain leave a lot to be desired. I ordered a fairly cheap Roland TD-9 to replace the Alesis module, so now I'm thinking cymbals. Hi-hat seems like the biggest weakness, but the Roland VH-11 is over $400. I already upgraded once from the stock kit to the Alesis Pro-X which I thought really sucked, although it was under $100 so maybe you just get what you pay for?

Local music shops don't have any in stock for me to try out, so anyone have first hand experience that could weigh in?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Might just grab the low end one to start with.

Was going to say the same thing, Iron Cobra is a decent all-around pedal that should suit any of your needs for at least a few years of learning. Then get a DynaS-Sync :haw: I was actually planning on ordering one for myself over the long weekend, but I live in Dallas and welp, other issues got priority.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I've been playing on an Alesis Crimson 2 kit for the past few years, and I still think the mesh drums are pretty decent but the cymbals and brain leave a lot to be desired. I ordered a fairly cheap Roland TD-9 to replace the Alesis module, so now I'm thinking cymbals. Hi-hat seems like the biggest weakness, but the Roland VH-11 is over $400. I already upgraded once from the stock kit to the Alesis Pro-X which I thought really sucked, although it was under $100 so maybe you just get what you pay for?

Local music shops don't have any in stock for me to try out, so anyone have first hand experience that could weigh in?

the VH10/11 are fine. They get the job done. I can't believe how expensive they are though, even used.

one thing I've always considered are those low volume cymbals full of holes. not sure if they'd be loud enough and they don't record, but you'd be playing real hats that feel like hi hats.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

the VH10/11 are fine. They get the job done. I can't believe how expensive they are though, even used.

one thing I've always considered are those low volume cymbals full of holes. not sure if they'd be loud enough and they don't record, but you'd be playing real hats that feel like hi hats.

Thanks for the feedback! After reading some more reviews I decided to go ahead and splurge on the VH-11, and also a CY-13R since my Alesis ride won't fully work right with the TD-9.

Also realizing now that I'll have enough old pads and cymbals to pair with the old Alesis module to put together a second (crappy-ish) kit. Gonna be the cool uncle and hook my little nephew up so he can play along with his bassist dad.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I bought tama speed cobras as baby’s first double pedal and I’m having a ton of fun with them. Can’t wait to play again, as the drums as a fun instrument.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hooked my TD-27 up to a VST for the first time. after a bunch of fiddling I got it down to 7.5ms latency - good enough for a quick session to hear the sounds but still a bit too noticeable.

But maaaaaan both Steven Slate Drums and EZDrummer 2 sounded awesome. Just blows the poo poo out of my (new!) Roland module. Roland needs to get on the real live sample train.

I'm getting a new Macbook Air delivered in the next few weeks and I hope I can knock down that latency.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was playing on my frankensteined e-kit last night and my kick drum started dropping hits every now and then. Went to investigate and apparently I've kicked through the mesh head of the Alesis drum. Already spent way more this year on drums than I have in like the last 5 put together, but now I get to add a new kick drum pad to the list. Got my eye on a few cheap Roland KD-10s ebay, just gonna suck waiting on whatever I get to arrive.

Unrelated, but anyone here convert an acoustic drum to electric? My dad has a huge old field snare from the 50s he used to play, and I thought it might be cool to convert it to use as a floor tom for my kit.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't done it as it would kind of defeat the reason I play an electronic kit to begin with, but I think A2E conversion works well for toms. Just get a Roland dual zone trigger and slap it on. And maybe a low-volume head so you don't have a properly loud floor tom bleeding through your headset.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 23, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

AndrewP posted:

Hooked my TD-27 up to a VST for the first time. after a bunch of fiddling I got it down to 7.5ms latency - good enough for a quick session to hear the sounds but still a bit too noticeable.

But maaaaaan both Steven Slate Drums and EZDrummer 2 sounded awesome. Just blows the poo poo out of my (new!) Roland module. Roland needs to get on the real live sample train.

I'm getting a new Macbook Air delivered in the next few weeks and I hope I can knock down that latency.

I was able to knock the latency down a fair bit, and the drum samples in SD3 are SO much better. The problem is I lost all cymbal nuance with my TD-17 module when using the SD3 cymbals, especially the hi-hat. I ended up getting frustrated and just aborted, but if you find a good way to do it I'd be interested in your solution!

Edit: I did buy a program that would allow me to export the SD3 samples into the TD-17 as user samples and that actually worked pretty well but again it only worked well for the drums and it had some odd issues from time to time.

ssb fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 24, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are you able to go straight from the TD-17 in to your PC? I want to try this out but I think for my TD-9 I need something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYX7K6R but I'm not 100% on that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You'll need an audio interface with MIDI inputs (like the one you linked). The new modules have direct USB connections. But not really sure until the Macbook comes how well it works.

I'm gonna try the direct USB route first and hope that it's fast. If not I'll maybe look into audio interfaces for a MIDI connection. It's not easy to find good information on this stuff because everyone's set up is different and results vary.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Enos Cabell posted:

Are you able to go straight from the TD-17 in to your PC? I want to try this out but I think for my TD-9 I need something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYX7K6R but I'm not 100% on that.

Yes, direct USB for the TD-17.

AndrewP posted:

I'm gonna try the direct USB route first and hope that it's fast. If not I'll maybe look into audio interfaces for a MIDI connection. It's not easy to find good information on this stuff because everyone's set up is different and results vary.

The problem is it depends on too many factors. I use Reaper on Win10 for a DAW and have tried it both with and without that in the chain - it didn't make an appreciable difference as far as I could tell, using an ASIO driver for audio through my line6 helix with some monitors. Usb to a standalone mac with only SD3 and some headphones *may* have been less delay, but if so it was a very small difference. Either way it existed, and was somewhat annoying, but could probably be adjusted to I'd expect.

I should say I haven't played at all in months and was never very good to begin with, so I may not be the best barometer of what works or doesn't.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Help me out, people?

Been learning drums for about a year and loving it. But it’s become clear my right foot it pretty bad because I don’t have much ankle mobility. My left foot is way better - I can do doubles about 20bpm faster on my left.

I’ve been experimenting with playing open handed - kick drum on left foot, hi hat on the right, and then floor Tom on the left so things flow more - basically playing right handed on a lefty kit, but the ride is also to my right behind the hi hat if that makes sense.

My kick foot is way faster this way and open handed is kinda fun. But my general coordination is a bit worse, and I have to figure out my own sticking for basically every fill. So it feels like I’m fighting against the whole history of drumming.

Any advice? Should I got back to standard setup and just do a bunch of right foot exercises? Are there other setups I can try?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is it less mobile because of injury? Any hope of getting it back?

So that's one option, or you could do what you're doing now and play a lefty kit and just kind of relearn some things, which may take some doing but isn't impossible. Harry Miree plays this way except he hasn't switched his feet, so he actually uses a double bass pedal on the left side to let him continue to play bass with his right foot. All in service to play open-handed.

Carter Beauford is also a guy that plays slightly weird - he's right-handed, right-handed kit, plays open handed (with the ride outside the hats like you mentioned), normal pedals. Seems to work for him okay.

So basically you have a great opportunity to just play a lefty kit and play open-handed if you wanted to really lean into a left-footed bass drum. I say go for it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

Help me out, people?

Been learning drums for about a year and loving it. But it’s become clear my right foot it pretty bad because I don’t have much ankle mobility. My left foot is way better - I can do doubles about 20bpm faster on my left.

I’ve been experimenting with playing open handed - kick drum on left foot, hi hat on the right, and then floor Tom on the left so things flow more - basically playing right handed on a lefty kit, but the ride is also to my right behind the hi hat if that makes sense.

My kick foot is way faster this way and open handed is kinda fun. But my general coordination is a bit worse, and I have to figure out my own sticking for basically every fill. So it feels like I’m fighting against the whole history of drumming.

Any advice? Should I got back to standard setup and just do a bunch of right foot exercises? Are there other setups I can try?

I don't play drum set very well so I won't comment on the technical challenges of a lefty set. But I can at least warn you that, if you decide to use a non-traditional setup, other drummers will likely feel some kind of way about you, and you might even hear a scoff or two if you listen closely. You'll have a hard time just walking up to an open set, sitting down, and busting out some beats because you're used to your own custom layout.

This is not meant to discourage you from going lefty if that's what you really want to do! Just know that, if you always need to go "hang on, hang on! Lemme just put this tom here, readjust the the hi-hat pedal to be over here, and hey is it okay if I change your cymbal arm angle real quick?" then you better be really damned good to justify the inconvenience.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have a hard time walking up to an open set and busting out licks because that situation never happens. Unless you're a gigging drummer, 99% of your drumming will probably be done right in your own house, and you should probably just play however you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks. Honestly having to shift kits around does bother me a bit because I’d like to play in community bands if they ever exist again. The ankle thing is a short tendon so it’s not going to change all that much but I could probably develop some kind of technique to compensate. It’s just a bit of a ballache, but I’ll trying to work out if that’s a bigger ballache than needing a special setup and having to learn to do fills and tom grooves on the left.

Sorry, I know people can’t really figure this out for me but it’s really helpful to hear from better drummers