Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Smash is serious business though, that's why I don't play with my friends that often. They're the no items, stages with very little going on, 3 stock types.

But I'm like give me all items and poke floats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The point of the items being overpowered is to not take the game seriously.

Items always gave you an edge but in Ultimate they're so useful it just becomes a race to get the next object. They should be fun quirky things that let you beat people up in new ways, not a goal in themselves.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

skull mask mcgee posted:

It’s just a minor update (3.6.1 -> 3.6.2) so it’s probably just bug fixes. The last one I can find patch notes for is 3.6 back in June.

Makes sense, didn't catch the small increment in version.

In my yearly review thing, KORG was only a little bit behind Animal Crossing, like 120 vs 100 hours. Really have come to love it, the iPad version touch controls just don't feel as quick to me as the joycons and I can use them to compose stuff while doing elliptical or whatever. The lack of ability to easily export songs as MP3s - you can only generate a QR code into the OSX or iOS versions which have export - is the biggest gripe. The devs claim this is due to Nintendo's rules on generating arbitrary files on the hard drive? Otherwise it's really fun to tinker with even if you aren't very musical. even has local multiplayer mode. Lots of instrument presets and a randomizer to encourage you to just play in a sandbox with a random collection of starter instruments. I have made a handful of songs during quarantine and ended up ordering a capture card to easily export them to share with friends (you can't even use the capture button to get 30 second snippets, its disabled for the game). The 3DS also has a KORG app but I never tried it.

Here's a short tune I made yesterday evening in about 90 minutes of smoking weed and having fun with it. Seen lots of really impressive pro-sounding work on YT too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqbGtcZAmbE

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

nordichammer posted:

I have been wondering, pre-pandemic how many people here played their Switch multi-player in handheld mode with just the joy con's? The rooftop party in the initial reveal was both funny and a great demonstration of what could happen. Has anyone actually gone full multi-player handheld with just 2-4 joycons?

I have a couple times, yeah, playing Mario Kart and Smash Bros with coworkers. It's perfectly functional, but gets pretty cramped.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SirBukkake posted:

There isn't a "best" console, since every one achieves its own kind of gaming experience. But there's only one thats been chosen by god. The Sega Dreamcast.

What an odd way to spell The Sega Saturn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have ring fit adventure coming in the next few days and i'm excited. it helps that i already work out and do things like squats on the regular so it's probably not going to outright murder me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i have ring fit adventure coming in the next few days and i'm excited. it helps that i already work out and do things like squats on the regular so it's probably not going to outright murder me.

The silent mode uses squats instead of jogging and I nearly died the first week I play Ring Fit. I haven't done squats in years so it was a bit of a shock.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Items always gave you an edge but in Ultimate they're so useful it just becomes a race to get the next object. They should be fun quirky things that let you beat people up in new ways, not a goal in themselves.

Yeah I was really not a fan of the item power creep that the series went through as it went on. Made casual matches really annoying among my friends. Instead of hilarious chaos it was just obnoxious to play.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The silent mode uses squats instead of jogging and I nearly died the first week I play Ring Fit. I haven't done squats in years so it was a bit of a shock.

i might end up using whatever mode takes out a lot of the jogging, then, because i have foot issues that make it tough to bounce on my feet for a while. leg day is no problem for me otherwise, though. i'm genuinely glad to hear that it's actually intense.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The thread complained about the new photo transfer feature but it's pretty good, just two camera scans (I think you tap the qr code when it shows up?) and a download. A lot better than connecting to bluetooth and sobbing for ten minutes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i might end up using whatever mode takes out a lot of the jogging, then, because i have foot issues that make it tough to bounce on my feet for a while. leg day is no problem for me otherwise, though. i'm genuinely glad to hear that it's actually intense.

If you turn on silent mode there's basically no up/down feet motion whatsoever. There's a few exercises where you lean on your feet but nothing repetitive.

night slime posted:

The thread complained about the new photo transfer feature but it's pretty good, just two camera scans (I think you tap the qr code when it shows up?) and a download. A lot better than connecting to bluetooth and sobbing for ten minutes.

The main person complaining didn't have a smartphone

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
wrt fenyx risings pricings.. I bought it at sale for 30, physical. I figured I wouldnt buy the dlc but after having played the game i like it enough that i would, and the 2nd and 3rd dlc are different main characters with different gods, so its seems worth it altho we'll see how big they are.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I have a group of 4 friends that I’ve been playing Smash games together with since 64 came out, though we did skip the WiiU/3DS gen.

It’s an incredibly fun game with close friends even after hundreds and hundreds of hours, but I can’t imagine having much fun with it single player or online with randos.

No items, random characters, voice chat and beer.

We used to have a really fun custom tourney setup in Brawl and maybe Melee, but for whatever reason Ultimate won’t support it in online arenas, which is a bummer, but otherwise Ultimate is incredible.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
So I've played Haven and it's a buggy mess. A certain enemy can glitch the game out, and when moving from map to map the game can crash, not to mention the loading times.

This is a shame because I really loved the game and would've recommended it here, but can't in good conscience until these problems are fixed.
So play it on a different console, I guess?

The combat is a bit confusing, the controls can be janky, the gameplay is unchallenging by the game's own admission, and though the world-building of Haven is somewhat unique the story itself is pretty standard.

the visuals are pretty good, even on the Switch. Danger's soundtrack really sells the idea of a neon planet well, but from the people who made "Furi" I was hoping for something a bit more banging.

The dialogue and the voice-acting of the two leads is really what I think is the selling point of the game. It's funny, and cringey, and wholesome, and just all around :kimchi: that it really makes you believe in Yu's and Kay's (hopefully) perpetual honeymoon phase of a relationship.

also you can pet all the local wildlife :3:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

nordichammer posted:

I have been wondering, pre-pandemic how many people here played their Switch multi-player in handheld mode with just the joy con's? The rooftop party in the initial reveal was both funny and a great demonstration of what could happen. Has anyone actually gone full multi-player handheld with just 2-4 joycons?

Only once, but it was like the commercials. I was in another state for a tabletop tournament and was hanging out in the airport afterward waiting for my flight, when a group from the tourney wandered by also waiting for a flight. Three of us had switches with one copy of smash bros, so we had enough joycons to get a good hour of playing in right in the food court. It was pretty neat that it worked as advertised.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
God I am so loving excited for R-type Final 2 you guys. Also Mario 3D world

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best use of tabletop mode is Jackbox, because everybody has a controller in their pocket and nobody has to use the joy cons at all

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

nordichammer posted:

I did a few times, when meeting my buddy at a bar after we got off work. It worked well enough but felt cramped even for two people, I can’t imagine doing it with four.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
That's a lot more responses than I expected. Cool stuff.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm terrible at shoot'em ups but yeah r-type final 2 should be very good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al-Saqr posted:

God I am so loving excited for R-type Final 2 you guys.

:same: :rock:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Played some Skyforge and it's a hot fart from an rear end.

It looks much, MUCH worse than the PC version, the sound stutters and there's significant pop-in.

It actually plays pretty well since it's more like a regular action game than a tab-targeting MMO.
However you can't rebind controls and the dash, an evade you need to use regularly, is bound to L-stick click. WTF.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone know anything about Littlewood?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Len posted:

Wondering about that too. The concept seems interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wondering about that too. The concept seems interesting.

It looks like something both my other half and I would be able to enjoy

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Len posted:

I dunno, I figured you'd know a lot about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

The story summary is that it's "the hero defeats the demon lord" epilogue chapter, but you have amnesia. The best part of the game mechanics is that instead of a 24 hour clock typical of the genre, time of day is based on how much stamina you have remaining, so that you never have to worry about running back and forth to do poo poo. It's all at your own pace. There is light terraforming, and you can place everybody's homes a la Animal Crossing, though the citizens have their own preferences of where they want to live (within X squares of Y, etc.).

~18:00 -> 20:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB8EvNeO0VE&t=1077s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

I dunno, I figured you'd know a lot about it.

:nattyburn:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I wonder if the game ever explains why Kabbu apparently can't fly, or if it's just supposed to remain a mystery.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Twelve by Pies posted:

I wonder if the game ever explains why Kabbu apparently can't fly, or if it's just supposed to remain a mystery.

He's a huge fatass

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Butterfly Valley posted:

For anyone who doesn't follow the Nintendo homebrew thread, the Goldeneye XBLA remaster that never saw the light of day has been leaked and is possible to download and play on a PC like I am doing right now, it works absolutely great

It requires a high-end system, though. I had no trouble getting it running on my laptop, but the frame rate was shite and trying to aim with my X-input controller was impossible. Mouse injectors in N64 emulators have spoiled me, but it was worse than an N64 controller by far.

Edit: I am a college professor in the US and it's a nightmare. I would hesitate to even discuss it with non-Americans because I am afraid that I would literally kill their ability to feel joy.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 6, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Edit: oops!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got the 3D Land final level... and it is tough. I think I'm going to Tanooki suit cheese it because the controls and the camera aren't good enough for me to pinpoint some of those jumps. Don't know if that's the cowardly way out or not.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Got the 3D Land final level... and it is tough. I think I'm going to Tanooki suit cheese it because the controls and the camera aren't good enough for me to pinpoint some of those jumps. Don't know if that's the cowardly way out or not.

If you’re talking about the “final final” level then I don’t think you can.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you’re talking about the “final final” level then I don’t think you can.

You can P-wing cheese it. Reroll mystery houses until you get one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quackles posted:

You can P-wing cheese it. Reroll mystery houses until you get one.

Maybe I was thinking of Champion’s Road in 3D World, which I think is MUCH harder. Can’t wait to get to that again.:v:

I only beat it as Rosalina in the Wii U version.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 6, 2021

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Al-Saqr posted:

Im a massive shmup fan and have need grabbing all the compilations, I forgot about tbis!!!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Electromax posted:

Makes sense, didn't catch the small increment in version.

In my yearly review thing, KORG was only a little bit behind Animal Crossing, like 120 vs 100 hours. Really have come to love it, the iPad version touch controls just don't feel as quick to me as the joycons and I can use them to compose stuff while doing elliptical or whatever. The lack of ability to easily export songs as MP3s - you can only generate a QR code into the OSX or iOS versions which have export - is the biggest gripe. The devs claim this is due to Nintendo's rules on generating arbitrary files on the hard drive? Otherwise it's really fun to tinker with even if you aren't very musical. even has local multiplayer mode. Lots of instrument presets and a randomizer to encourage you to just play in a sandbox with a random collection of starter instruments. I have made a handful of songs during quarantine and ended up ordering a capture card to easily export them to share with friends (you can't even use the capture button to get 30 second snippets, its disabled for the game). The 3DS also has a KORG app but I never tried it.

Here's a short tune I made yesterday evening in about 90 minutes of smoking weed and having fun with it. Seen lots of really impressive pro-sounding work on YT too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqbGtcZAmbE

IMO, the limitations of certain musical apps and the like end up producing more impressive results than the big time music production software that costs hundreds more but different strokes and all that. The the 3DS Korg was an analog synthesizer so basically just like one "gadget" instead of the full music production suite of Korg Gadget. I imagine the porting limitations of Gadget are down to not wanting to expose the innards of the filing system to keep out hacking attempts but I'm just speculating.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I imagine the porting limitations of Gadget are down to not wanting to expose the innards of the filing system to keep out hacking attempts but I'm just speculating.

Yeah, Nintendo got bit several times by 3DS games with buggy file readers acting as exploit entry points so they put a stop to that with the Switch

It's enforced at the system level, games can't read or write anything to user accessible storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Al-Saqr posted:

hell yeah