Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

maltesh posted:

Or, if you have the money to burn, you can just buy 1000 Stones from Robin.

Once I found you could do this I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do I progress anywhere on the dumb island? There's some stupid kid who refuses to say anything and a parrot extorts 10 walnuts to let me pass a fat turtle but I've wandered around like a moron searching for secret passages and only found 3. There's another parrot at the kid's hut who very helpfully told me there are 6 nuts buried to the west but if it's past the turtle I can't reach them so I tried digging up half the beach but found nothing. On the next island trip attempt it said there would be 5 in the volcano but it's locked and I can't interact with anything. Hell I can't interact with anything at all anywhere except a couple of bloody parrots. This is really boring.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Poil posted:

How do I progress anywhere on the dumb island? There's some stupid kid who refuses to say anything and a parrot extorts 10 walnuts to let me pass a fat turtle but I've wandered around like a moron searching for secret passages and only found 3. There's another parrot at the kid's hut who very helpfully told me there are 6 nuts buried to the west but if it's past the turtle I can't reach them so I tried digging up half the beach but found nothing. On the next island trip attempt it said there would be 5 in the volcano but it's locked and I can't interact with anything. Hell I can't interact with anything at all anywhere except a couple of bloody parrots. This is really boring.

There's a way to get into the volcano besides that locked door.

The environment hints at how you can proceed. Take a closer look around the immediate area when you enter it, see if you can't suss it out. The solution is under the spoiler if you don't care to figure it out.

Use your watering can to make a bridge across the lava.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Poil posted:

Look for poo poo that looks weird on the ground since the walnuts are also buried.

You can also open up the cave the guy is trapped in the minute you step foot on the island and he can give you more.

I was frustrated at first too but CA is really good at placing subtle hints everywhere and making solutions that with some thought can be figured out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

limp_cheese posted:

You can also open up the cave the guy is trapped in the minute you step foot on the island and he can give you more.

Nah don't you need 5 walnuts to get to the cave first?

Hint: what would you be looking for if you were after buried treasure?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a bug that prevents rain? I'm almost through Fall year 2 and every day has been sunny or windy. I did a bit of googling and there are some years-old posts on the steam forums about people suffering similar droughts and questioning if it's a bug, but I didn't see anything conclusive. I'm on Switch if it matters.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been trying to kill the coal fluffs

Hell, I guess I’ll play on a weekday because I too need to kill the coal fluffs

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well I made a rain totem to force the weather, caught my fish, and the Community Center is finished.

That was anticlimactic.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a bug that prevents rain? I'm almost through Fall year 2 and every day has been sunny or windy. I did a bit of googling and there are some years-old posts on the steam forums about people suffering similar droughts and questioning if it's a bug, but I didn't see anything conclusive. I'm on Switch if it matters.

RNG gonna RNG. Sometimes I've got months where it rains 15 days out of the month and others it doesn't rain at all. I remember one game on my swich Fall year 1 didn't get rain until the 23rd. It sucked too since I needed a Walleye (only comes out in rain).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Well I made a rain totem to force the weather, caught my fish, and the Community Center is finished.

That was anticlimactic.

It is odd that you really never ever have to go back in there once it is finished. Like, no wonder it fell to ruins originally, nobody ever goes there. Presumably the one we patched up will eventually get back to how it was, maybe it already has, how would I know.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

maltesh posted:

Or, if you have the money to burn, you can just buy 1000 Stones from Robin.

Goddamn I'm dumb as gently caress, I have actually walked home to my farm to get the stone when I came to order a building and forgot to bring it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That’s why I downloaded a mod to allow villagers to go there and do stuff.

It switches Penny’s school to the Craft Room, for instance.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Hell, I guess I’ll play on a weekday because I too need to kill the coal fluffs

My five year old nephew calls them "coal buddies" which makes me feel a tiny bit bad for spending like 1/4 of my Stardew playing time mass murdering them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That achievement checker link was super helpful. Been scratching my head for so long figuring what left I had to ship, felt like I'd definitely mailed all the crops and whatever... and this list is cracking me up. (edited list remove stuff I legit haven't unlocked yet, that was obvious but I was still missing cheevo before these things existed)

Bone Fragment
Bug Meat
Copper Bar
Gold Bar
Green Tea
Iridium Bar
Iridium Ore
Iron Bar
Mead
Refined Quartz
Tea Leaves
Unmilled Rice

I have almost all of that on hand! Guess I was just always stockpiling those things just in case and never ended up mailing. Makes sense for the metal ores and bars... but really, somehow I never chucked a random bugmeat into the shipping bin?! I have more of that stuff than I need as it is, I've tossed way more valuable stuff in the bin just to get it off me immediately, just bein lazy. Unmilled rice makes some sense, everything you can do to it makes it worth more and is pretty easy to do. Tea... I just might not have gotten the seeds or lost em or just thought I'd done it once already?? Mead I guess I've just always given away?

Super glad I checked these things, I think I wouldn't have thought to try shipping a round of metal bars.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't think there's a bug, but you definitely can get colossally unlucky. My current game went the entirety of Spring Y2 with no rain, which was super annoying since I'd spent most of the winter getting Leah to maximum hearts.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There really is a lot of followup mid-game stuff this game desperately needs to make stuff feel more meaningful, and I find it super weird that ConcernedApe is building these big expansions that only relatively dedicated players will ever see rather than, say, far easier tasks of adding low hanging fruit that would provide the average player with a more enjoyable game:

Most importantly, introducing new event dialogue and yearly variations (even if they repeat after a few years), instead of basically making events obsolete after year 1, maybe year 2 if you missed something. I can't imagine this could be particularly difficult, and it is the single biggest complaint I hear from other people I've played with in regards to a lack of content. And some more player driven festivals like the art festival or a band show in town would be great too.

Secondly, having people do stuff at the community center. Maybe even introducing stuff they wanted to do in earlier dialogue so you get the hint. Make lots of characters use it often so you can visit and socialize a lot at once (especially the ones that don't use the bar regularly) and it would be so much better! Make it so you can do repeat joint activities there, maybe? Like more role-playing-games or more co-op video games, I dunno, something. At least let me use the damned sewing machine you can see there! It, and the bathhouse, just both seem like such missed opportunities because they have zero content. The movie theatre gets more content than either of those! At the very least the community jobs board could be put in there. Just... something.

Finally, doing something interesting with the bathhouse/train area.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

That achievement checker link was super helpful. Been scratching my head for so long figuring what left I had to ship, felt like I'd definitely mailed all the crops and whatever... and this list is cracking me up.
If you use the Lookup Anything mod, you can also go to your collections page, mouse over the silhouette items, and hit F1 to see what it is (and get other useful information). I used that feature a lot when I was filling out the shipping, fish, and artifacts collections.

Maybe it's a bit late to mention this in your case, but I thought other people on PC might find it useful.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Khanstant posted:

It is odd that you really never ever have to go back in there once it is finished. Like, no wonder it fell to ruins originally, nobody ever goes there. Presumably the one we patched up will eventually get back to how it was, maybe it already has, how would I know.

It would be kind of cool if you got bonus relationship points when talking to people there. We already have the theater to boost relationships though. Kind of needs something else.

Uh, it would be nice if the big quest board got moved there. Instead of having the wooden sign beneath Lewis's house.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

GlyphGryph posted:

There really is a lot of followup mid-game stuff this game desperately needs to make stuff feel more meaningful, and I find it super weird that ConcernedApe is building these big expansions that only relatively dedicated players will ever see rather than, say, far easier tasks of adding low hanging fruit that would provide the average player with a more enjoyable game:

Most importantly, introducing new event dialogue and yearly variations (even if they repeat after a few years), instead of basically making events obsolete after year 1, maybe year 2 if you missed something. I can't imagine this could be particularly difficult, and it is the single biggest complaint I hear from other people I've played with in regards to a lack of content. And some more player driven festivals like the art festival or a band show in town would be great too.

Secondly, having people do stuff at the community center. Maybe even introducing stuff they wanted to do in earlier dialogue so you get the hint. Make lots of characters use it often so you can visit and socialize a lot at once (especially the ones that don't use the bar regularly) and it would be so much better! Make it so you can do repeat joint activities there, maybe? Like more role-playing-games or more co-op video games, I dunno, something. At least let me use the damned sewing machine you can see there! It, and the bathhouse, just both seem like such missed opportunities because they have zero content. The movie theatre gets more content than either of those! At the very least the community jobs board could be put in there. Just... something.

Finally, doing something interesting with the bathhouse/train area.

for what it's worth, the special orders board and the new game options (remixed bundles/chests) were what we ultimately landed on for mixing things up earlier on (the first iteration of the orders board unlocked in Y1 winter, and we moved it to fall and were even talking about moving it to summer before we got sidetracked by bigger things to work on), and from our playtests, the beach farm's mechanic also mixed things up in a way that felt refreshingly different for the first year of the game. getting, for instance, the fish farmer bundle early on totally changes up how you tackle the rest of the game.

we also talked a ton about having villagers visit the CC more, but with just the two of us working on all of the update's game content and wanting to get the new version of the game out in a timely manner, it ended up falling by the wayside. we were also mindful of our localization team, meaning that any line of text that was added or modified (which would've been pretty significant for any character we moved to the CC even beyond the amount of text that was already required for what ended making it into 1.5) would also have to go through at a dozen or so localizers, which was a little tricky to navigate because we only had the bandwidth to work on these ideas around the holidays and we didn't want to bug the localizers too much especially after how much work they'd already put in.

that's not to say that we didn't try to mix things up early on. it's a weird specific, but the fact that the egg festival has year 2 dialogue is a testament to our ambition -- we had a big list of stuff we wanted to do and we wrote and tweaked a bunch of code and content to make it happen, but in making sure all of the mainline 1.5 content worked (all of the stuff in the new area, including the systems the new area introduces like forging, having a second farm, the qi challenges, etc.) we just ended up not having the time to do it. it might not mean much for vanilla players, but with the 1.5 update, we worked extremely closely with some of the key players in the modding community to make things easy for them to mess with. maybe the vanilla game never got around to being able to move the main farmer's house around (though i was happy to make the changes necessary to move the greenhouse!), but we went and rewrote a ton of the code to make sure that was something modders could do if they wanted to make their own farm maps in the future.

as a stardew fan first, of course there are some things i'm waiting for with baited breath (believe me, i took every avenue and shortcut available to me this update cycle to try to get sandy dateable, but between the work involved making sure the 1.5 content was all figured out, we just couldn't make it happen [though we were able to squeeze in emily visiting her on her birthday through some extremely creative means]). still, for all of the stuff i wish coulda been in the game, i think 1.5 turned out pretty cool, especially knowing that there's a big swath of the population that will never even interact with some of the stuff we worked extremely hard on.

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 5, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
But why can't we ride the ostriches?

I'm teasing, you guys did amazing work, especially with a team of two, 1.5 is way beyond expectations

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is also a legitimate route through the game that involves tearing down the community center, even though I bet most players never bother going through the heartless capitalist route. With infinite dev time, sure, spice it up, but any content patches are better off focusing on universally available stuff.

E: missed an actual dev post somehow! You guys have done fantastic work so far. I haven't actually played version 1.5 yet; waiting for the Switch patch, but I am real stoked to play through again with the beach farm and remixed bundles.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 5, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Thanks for sharing this, it's a really useful insight into stuff.

I'll admit to having weirdly mixed feelings about asking for more stuff in Stardew. Like, I want the game to be better, but also having bought the game twice (GOG and Steam, because my brain is dumb) I also know CA isn't going to get any more money from me and a bunch of other people for just making the people chat better.

Being able to run a MP farm as a server instead of a player, that might sell some copies (but also be.. really... weird with how the days and seasons and stuff work?)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Huh. Vegetable Medley is labeled Vegetable Stew on the cooking interface.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

LLSix posted:

Huh. Vegetable Medley is labeled Vegetable Stew on the cooking interface.

I'll be damned. I have spent too much time on too many occasions looking for vegetable medley and never finding it. Thank you for this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr. Podunkian posted:

(believe me, i took every avenue and shortcut available to me this update cycle to try to get sandy dateable
:eyebrating intensifies:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I go back to the community center. It's up there with the bar for concentrating most of the town in a single location for mass gift handouts.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

is the split screen mode just two players or does it go up to four? Also, can you play online with four players, two on each machine?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just got access to the new island.

Can you just plant wherever?

First day I landed on the island, I fished up 3 golden walnut things from some bubbles in the ocean. Is there a limit to how many walnuts you can fish up?

Mr. Podunkian posted:

(believe me, i took every avenue and shortcut available to me this update cycle to try to get sandy dateable

Looking forward to when you can make time for this. It'd be awesome.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

LLSix posted:

Just got access to the new island.

Can you just plant wherever?

First day I landed on the island, I fished up 3 golden walnut things from some bubbles in the ocean. Is there a limit to how many walnuts you can fish up?

Looking forward to when you can make time for this. It'd be awesome.

there is specifically a farm section you may or may not have unlocked, and i believe someone said that the walnuts are limited to 5 per activity. there is also a finite number of walnuts on the island, however there's more than enough to unlock everything and have several left over

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Late but thanks for the island help.

Alxprit posted:

Use your watering can to make a bridge across the lava.
Yobadamnit! That was one of the few things I didn't try. I even looked at the water pool and dripping pipe and didn't make any connection at all.

limp_cheese posted:

Look for poo poo that looks weird on the ground since the walnuts are also buried.

I was frustrated at first too but CA is really good at placing subtle hints everywhere and making solutions that with some thought can be figured out.
Ah, I didn't really notice those at all. I saw one but thought it was just random decoration like the other ground textures so I didn't try and dig one up. I found a second one and when I dug it up some random monkey jumped away and I realized it was apparently pointing towards it. I couldn't even tell.

What guy trapped in cave?

It's not good if you're stupid and don't even know what/if/how you're supposed to look. :saddowns:

LLSix posted:

Urgh, I didn't even look for that either because I assumed it would just be trash and very difficult fish since it's a late game area.

I will now go and stand in the shame corner of my basement listening to the quiet gurgling of my single used cask because I accidentally sold all the other wine I was going to age.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 5, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Poil posted:

What guy trapped in cave?

cakesmith handyman was right and you can't access it until you spend 5 walnuts to build a bridge. After that you should have what you need to get him out. It took me longer than I would like to admit.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Thanks for the response. I absolutely love this game and the work you guys put in, and despite what I've said I am really loving the new update (the community board quests and their special scenes and little rewards really do make things a lot more fun)... and I haven't even seen the island yet, despite the fact thay I've been playing regularly since the update came out, and it sounds like it's going to be amazing.

I am just surprised that the (seemingly more work) of creating a new late game area with new assets and all that ended up being the bulk of the work!

(also I had no idea the second year egg festival had new dialogue. I guess I should keep an eye out for that?)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 6, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Does Krobus show up at festivals if he's your roommate?

I'd planned to check, but wound up moving him out the day before the Flower Dance as part of my plan to see the Group 10-heart events after divorcing, mindwiping, and re-romancing Haley, and missed my chance to see if he'd be there.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

maltesh posted:

Does Krobus show up at festivals if he's your roommate?

I'd planned to check, but wound up moving him out the day before the Flower Dance as part of my plan to see the Group 10-heart events after divorcing, mindwiping, and re-romancing Haley, and missed my chance to see if he'd be there.

Considering most festivals are sunny weather and Krobus can't go out in the sun most days I'd say probably not.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What arrangement of trellis plants allows for the easiest harvesting? This past year I did two rows of 20 crops, like:

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

That let me water everything in the row with the second watering can option. I thought I could run past the crops holding A to harvest everything, but this is hiw I learned auto harvest on horizontal things only works if you're above them. I was thinking of trying out vertically arranged trellises and run up and down the lines holding A, but sometimes I notice I walk into trellis plants and get stuck.

Any suggestions? The best I can think of is single rows of ten, like:

XXXXXXXXXX

That'll let me run down the row above the crops while I hold A.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Wildtortilla posted:

What arrangement of trellis plants allows for the easiest harvesting? This past year I did two rows of 20 crops, like:

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

That let me water everything in the row with the second watering can option. I thought I could run past the crops holding A to harvest everything, but this is hiw I learned auto harvest on horizontal things only works if you're above them. I was thinking of trying out vertically arranged trellises and run up and down the lines holding A, but sometimes I notice I walk into trellis plants and get stuck.

XXXXXXXXXX

There was a discussion several pages back but this is what I use

9x9 grid, 9 quality sprinklers, I usually plant coffee bushes for the part where you can walk through

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Podunkian posted:

as a stardew fan first, of course there are some things i'm waiting for with baited breath (believe me, i took every avenue and shortcut available to me this update cycle to try to get sandy dateable, but between the work involved making sure the 1.5 content was all figured out, we just couldn't make it happen [though we were able to squeeze in emily visiting her on her birthday through some extremely creative means]). still, for all of the stuff i wish coulda been in the game, i think 1.5 turned out pretty cool, especially knowing that there's a big swath of the population that will never even interact with some of the stuff we worked extremely hard on.

Always love to peek behind the scenes to hear development tales, thanks for sharing and all the new content and artwork. Y'all ever discuss selling an expansion or something, the game is criminally underpriced as it is. Normally a 200+ hour game is either some AAA production fiesta for 50-60 bucks or some free game where you're really just working part-time for some game's economic scheme. Hell, new HM/StoryWhatevers are still coming out on the regs and they charge more for way worse games that are basically abandoned after release. Crazy this only 15 bucks and still getting big updates.

Poil posted:

Urgh, I didn't even look for that either because I assumed it would just be trash and very difficult fish since it's a late game area.

Try going back with a different mindset and less assumptions. It's Breath of the Wild and you're hunting Koroks.

You've done all the things that give coconuts before, just not in the same way necessarily.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXX

XQXXQXXQX
XXXXXXXXX
.Q....Q....Q....Q

I usually do something like this. Run right down the middle and you'll harvest both the top and the bottom in one pass as well as whatever walkable crop you planted in the middle. The Qs are quality sprinklers, the ones that water a 3x3 square. Every second or third sprinkler I'll leave a gap to walk through. If you have a horse, you'll need to leave a 2 tile wide gap because the horse is surprisingly wide.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

With the advice from this thread I managed to get some island progress. :toot:
Of course I got stuck pretty quickly again afterwards, got frustrated and checked the wiki. Wow, I missed a lot of stuff. I could have spent hours just running around without figuring any of it and quit out of frustration.

Turns out the cave note crystal challenges aren't actually timed? I just suck so badly that I fail over and over and over. Not going to give up just yet!

Khanstant posted:

Try going back with a different mindset and less assumptions. It's Breath of the Wild and you're hunting Koroks.

You've done all the things that give coconuts before, just not in the same way necessarily.
Breath of the Wild is the... Zelda open world game, right? No idea what a Korok is though. I spent my youth primarily with rts and simulation (later expanded with rpg) so I'm really out of my depth with this stuff. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Can someone give me a hint with the pirate's wife quest

I got the tomato salt from Kent, but I have no idea who I'm supposed to give this to... Showing Kent the soldier's photograph seemed pretty obvious, so is there some further lead that I'm missing here?