Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hilarious that you can spend a bunch of money and if you're an excellent, practiced model painter your poo poo will still end up looking like that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is an absolute fuckton of historical pastiche fantasy settings, and warhammer does a poo poo job of it filtered through idiot 80s brits who probably thought Norway and France were scarily foreign and incomprehensible. IDK why people think that's unique to Warhammer. Warhammer's origins are quite literally a DnD setting, and everything else got tacked on over the years. Any and all generic fantasy settings are going to improve once they've been simmering for 40 years.

Warhammer rules but it's not because it's "grounded in real history." It's set in the fake 1500s instead of the fake 1300s and that blows some peoples' minds.

as opposed to classic warhammer, famously not featuring anything stupid looking. (why do goons only like the monkeycheese warham factions like skaven and orcs and not the low key funny that is all of them)

Yeah all warhams looks stupid/funny. AoS is just bad stupid/funny.

This is the "the prequels and original star wars are exactly the same, you just have nostalgia" thing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is an absolute fuckton of historical pastiche fantasy settings, and warhammer does a poo poo job of it filtered through idiot 80s brits who probably thought Norway and France were scarily foreign and incomprehensible. IDK why people think that's unique to Warhammer. Warhammer's origins are quite literally a DnD setting, and everything else got tacked on over the years. Any and all generic fantasy settings are going to improve once they've been simmering for 40 years.

Warhammer rules but it's not because it's "grounded in real history." It's set in the fake 1500s instead of the fake 1300s and that blows some peoples' minds.

Yeah, you're wrong.

e: And Warhammer isn't really grounded, it's ridiculous. But it's ridiculous set against a blatant rip off of of RL historical settings on a world map that is just Earth with a donut in the Atlantic. I appreciate that, to be honest.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 6, 2021

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah all warhams looks stupid/funny. AoS is just bad stupid/funny.

This is the "the Disney sequels and original star wars are exactly the same, you just have nostalgia" thing.

Fixed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Correct, only lame nerds have strong opinions about them and 75% of the people who hate the new thing are cargo-culting and didn't know or care about the original thing when it was ongoing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Correct, only lame nerds have strong opinions about them and 75% of the people who hate the new thing are cargo-culting and didn't know or care about the original thing when it was ongoing
Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You can keep showing individual cool models, it's just never gonna overcome the whole being bad. Same way even if cape poo poo comics can have individual cool elements any attempt to ingest them as a whole results in me realizing it's bad. Silver Surfer cool enough idea, trying to explain to me how he interacts with X, Y, and Z other cosmic entity dudes is gonna result in snores.
I genuinely don't believe anyone on earth likes all of the sequel movies. 8 is too different from 7 and 9 to have a singular fanbase. Hell a lot of the worst parts of 9 were going "wait no we're walking this back" about parts of 8 that fanboys whined about.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I mean, it doesn't need to "overcome" anything man. AoS is already more popular than the old world setting ever was. It's okay to like either setting more, there is no need to be having nerd wars about it

And I'm posting these because goblins are amazing and finally got the spotlight they deserved;

Look at the little squig holding up his mantle :allears:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Weird which warhammer do you like nerd argument is bad enough, let's not start loving star wars bullshit in here too

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:getin:

:getin:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
please stop posting pictures of hideous dolls

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Psycho Landlord posted:

Weird which warhammer do you like nerd argument is bad enough, let's not start loving star wars bullshit in here too
It's all bad :twisted:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Things are a bit heated in what should be a happy time of rampant speculation and I've certainly contributed. Perhaps we should be all just be glad CA and GW have created products that have many happy fans.

Also miniatures are for fools and I would rather eat glass than pay hundreds of dollars for tiny grey plastic men that I have to paint and sometimes assemble myself

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Up Circle posted:

please stop posting pictures of hideous dolls

Sir, this is a warhammer thread

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

No but you see this setting made by this company that has only the most tangential bearing on the videogame this thread is about is bad, and in my 87-part youtube dissertation, I will examine

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i do think a lot of the AOS models look great but then you see the complete range or even just an entire army like those corrupted dawi earlier and it kinda blurs into an overdesigned mess.

i think you kind of want large groups of less flashy models so that your crazy rare units with lots of details can actually stand out. maybe i'm the grognard now tho

:shrug:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zzulu posted:

I mean, it doesn't need to "overcome" anything man. AoS is already more popular than the old world setting ever was. It's okay to like either setting more, there is no need to be having nerd wars about it
Why would anyone care about relative sales numbers of their hobby? Michael Bay makes some of the most popular movies of all time and no one besides SMG is going to say that makes them better than whatever respective movies they outsold that year.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

And really just even if we take that metric as truth Total War Warhammer has vastly outsold AoS and the original minis game.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well yeah, that's why I want a Total Warhammer 4: Age of Sigmar so I can play it as well

The old world setting was really only good for fans of the Empire. The rest of the factions were just passively existing on the same stage as The Empire. I liked it too but I was always a bigger fan of undead and Age of Sigmar does Undead way better so I like it more

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey man you do you. Though honestly I'd prefer AoS stuff as an X-com a like just due to smaller sclae stuff in it appealing to me more than any attempt at big scale. Also just in general it'd be nice to have an x-com alike in any GW property that isn't super clunky.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Empire is the best part of Warhammer. It's the key to the whole thing.

That said. I am painfully hyped for Kislev.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
An imperial guard xcom-like is the game I've been waiting for my whole life. I'd also accept a space marine version.

My biggest hope for wh3 is that they add some way to get small numbers of high tech units in the early game. Too often by the time I've unlocked all the cool toys in wh2 I've already won the game and all that's left is the cleanup. An alternative would be to add more varied end games threats in the same vein as the chaos invasion. Some kind of insane existential threat to everyone on the map that you need extremely tricked out armies and generals to even hope to beat.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Seriously. Like I said before. Though I'm not hoepful this is happening. They need to do away with the RTS concept of unlocking units through buildings. Factions should have their whole toolset available from the beginning, meaning they should be able to access most or all of their army roster. Buidlings and tech infrastructure should mostly serve (in addition to this could come some skills and traits of lords) to allow you to be able to field more of the more potent and expensive units, either by increasing unit limits (seriously get these into the game for every faction), or just providing you with more money to be able to afford more (or reducing upkeep and recruitment costs for specific units). Only rare and exotic monsters and war machines should really have to be accessed through tech and buildings (or rites).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hey man you do you. Though honestly I'd prefer AoS stuff as an X-com a like just due to smaller sclae stuff in it appealing to me more than any attempt at big scale. Also just in general it'd be nice to have an x-com alike in any GW property that isn't super clunky.

Idk I thought that Mechanicus did an absolutely stellar job with making a 40k X-com game, i'm sure theres room for improvement but the only thing I came away from that game wishing for was the opportunity to play as different factions

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I completely spaced on Mechanicus despite having 200 hours in it. I was just thinking of how disappointing Mordheim was.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Question about Mechanicus: I picked that game up and tried to play it a few times and noticing that it had an ironman mode I turned it on cause I'm weird like that. However I had a really hard time getting a game going because I could never replenish my dead dudes. Is it a game that can realistically be played on ironman or is that more oriented towards someone who has sank tons of hours into it?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Giggle Goose posted:

Question about Mechanicus: I picked that game up and tried to play it a few times and noticing that it had an ironman mode I turned it on cause I'm weird like that. However I had a really hard time getting a game going because I could never replenish my dead dudes. Is it a game that can realistically be played on ironman or is that more oriented towards someone who has sank tons of hours into it?

Mechanicus has the XCOM problem very, very bad, where the opening of the game is the hardest part. Once your dudes get like two or three level ups and some decent gear they're terrifying cyborg gods just gleefully stomping around a Necron tomb world and lighting oil-based incense everywhere.

So yes, I think it can be Ironman'd fine even as a newer player. The initial hump is the roughest part. My recommendation is don't skimp on your expendable grunt reinforcements until your priests are packing sufficient heat, and you'll be fine.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

Giggle Goose posted:

It can definitely be played on Ironman but it's difficult and requires some luck in terms of early drops and an experienced player to exploit things in the game. (Although it's not really a game you can cheese- it's just that there is definitely an optimal build that focuses on generating as many action points as possible so you can kill everything before it gets a chance to shoot at you even one time)

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I feel like what AoS has lacked big time compared to 40k and Fantasy is no games. Right now we just have models and some books that only the truly devoted read and as things stand AoS to the masses has no real personality.

The Stormcast are way better than most people think, they have emotions and take pride in their humanity, they actually give a poo poo about making the realms a better place to live in and don't think Sigmar is some perfect guy who's beyond doubt, they have hobbies, senses of humour and they have hope they can win. DOW series had some ace campaigns which really helped you become familiar with the Marines and those guys are pretty dull in comparison. Nerds only go off what they see in the visual mediums most of the time and right now what do we have for AOS? A online card game or something and that's it. How many people care a gently caress about Warhammer fantasy until that badass Karl Franz trailer? Everyone now acts like they were huge fans but for years for most people Fantasy was seen as that weirdo cousin to 40k that no one cared about. Its minis were selling less than paints for gently caress's sake guys.

Imagine how much hype you could generate with a Deepkin reveal trailer that gives a simple breakdown of their lore and presents some of their super cool units, or the Bonereapers just being cool at, well, everything. Almost nothing will change for AoS for most until we get games that help you get grounded into the setting and have the characters drive the lore. Being told by someone else how cool Nagash is in some book will pale in comparison to seeing him wreck some poo poo in a cutscene or trailer.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Seriously. Like I said before. Though I'm not hoepful this is happening. They need to do away with the RTS concept of unlocking units through buildings. Factions should have their whole toolset available from the beginning, meaning they should be able to access most or all of their army roster. Buidlings and tech infrastructure should mostly serve (in addition to this could come some skills and traits of lords) to allow you to be able to field more of the more potent and expensive units, either by increasing unit limits (seriously get these into the game for every faction), or just providing you with more money to be able to afford more (or reducing upkeep and recruitment costs for specific units). Only rare and exotic monsters and war machines should really have to be accessed through tech and buildings (or rites).

To do this they would have to totally change how they balance AI in Total War games. The AI always gets way more money than the player so making high tier units available from the start as long as you have the money would just result in the player getting creamed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sales are not the be all end all of of whether something is good.

Ethiser posted:

To do this they would have to totally change how they balance AI in Total War games. The AI always gets way more money than the player so making high tier units available from the start as long as you have the money would just result in the player getting creamed.

Yes. If you make a big change like that you obviously have to account for the consequences of it. And honestly doing something like that pretty much has to come together with some type of unit cap on an army or faction basis. In addition to overhauling how the AI builds its armis.

It would still change the game for the better, and I'm not just talking about Warhammer.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 6, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

BillBear posted:

I feel like what AoS has lacked big time compared to 40k and Fantasy is no games. Right now we just have models and some books that only the truly devoted read and as things stand AoS to the masses has no real personality.

The Stormcast are way better than most people think, they have emotions and take pride in their humanity, they actually give a poo poo about making the realms a better place to live in and don't think Sigmar is some perfect guy who's beyond doubt, they have hobbies, senses of humour and they have hope they can win. DOW series had some ace campaigns which really helped you become familiar with the Marines and those guys are pretty dull in comparison. Nerds only go off what they see in the visual mediums most of the time and right now what do we have for AOS? A online card game or something and that's it. How many people care a gently caress about Warhammer fantasy until that badass Karl Franz trailer? Everyone now acts like they were huge fans but for years for most people Fantasy was seen as that weirdo cousin to 40k that no one cared about. Its minis were selling less than paints for gently caress's sake guys.

Imagine how much hype you could generate with a Deepkin reveal trailer that gives a simple breakdown of their lore and presents some of their super cool units, or the Bonereapers just being cool at, well, everything. Almost nothing will change for AoS for most until we get games that help you get grounded into the setting and have the characters drive the lore. Being told by someone else how cool Nagash is in some book will pale in comparison to seeing him wreck some poo poo in a cutscene or trailer.

I agree with this, I really want to see a big name AoS game on the level of the more successful WHFB and 40k games

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also can you Sigmarines please timg your goddamn giant images?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 6, 2021

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020

BillBear posted:

As a lay person I fully agree, I'm yet to hear from AOS any of the batshit lore tidbits that make WHF and WH40K so fun to observe from a distance, even from friends that are super into it, and since everything's moved a bit more toward mythical levels of power, I fear it'd harder to sell me on something like Grimgor headbutting the Everchosen's eye out. With neither that nor any interesting games, why would I care? The problem might well be solved with time, though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
here's something i actually enjoy that i saw recently. drawings for the margins of older warhammer fantasy books. lets enjoy it. thank you.

e:

PastaBakeWizard posted:

As a lay person I fully agree, I'm yet to hear from AOS any of the batshit lore tidbits that make WHF and WH40K so fun to observe from a distance, even from friends that are super into it, and since everything's moved a bit more toward mythical levels of power, I fear it'd harder to sell me on something like Grimgor headbutting the Everchosen's eye out. With neither that nor any interesting games, why would I care? The problem might well be solved with time, though.

the grimgor headbutting the dark lord of chaos bit was one of the first warhammer fantasy lore tidbits i learned about and it was exactly my sort of anticlimax

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Also just in general it'd be nice to have an x-com alike in any GW property that isn't super clunky.
The game you're looking for is Mechanicus, which is right behind Total Warhams and Vermintide as the best video-game adaptation of any GW property. It even has the whole Xcom "hard start->cakewalk endgame" thing going on

edit: beaten like a Warboss's pet squig

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

here's something i actually enjoy that i saw recently. drawings for the margins of older warhammer fantasy books. lets enjoy it. thank you.

I feel like the timg comment for big pictures still stands, but that's pretty cool.

On account of AoS having good models I kind of feel like that is mostly just GW/Citadel getting having gotten continuously better at making them, especially plastic models, they've also moved away from the rather bad "finecast" resin models. I think that if WFB hadn't been scuttled, this is probably more or less the same we'd have seen for that. And I also predict that with Warhammer Total War and the new, significantly more customer-facing management at GW, whatever the current edition of WFB would have been now probably would have been about as popular as AoS is now.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i changed it to timg, out of weakness