Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

They also confirmed that it'll be the end of the current storyline as of 6.0. 6.1 will be the start of a whole new story. Ballsy move, and I'm all in for this poo poo.

Honestly it needed to be, they’ve been telling a continuation of a story that started in like 2010. It’s a really good story but at some point it needs to end

cheetah7071 posted:

I really think they're building up to 7.0 being ffxiv-2. Not a full reset, but an opportunity to allow new players to start at level 90 without missing a ton of important context

Yeah it was really hard to recommend SHB to FF fans but telling them ok play 3 full length jrpgs first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
After having just watched my friend play through the first 5 Ys games to start gety ready for 9 "Ys 9 has ubisoft towers" was not at all what I was expecting #bringbackthebump

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

After having just watched my friend play through the first 5 Ys games to start gety ready for 9 "Ys 9 has ubisoft towers" was not at all what I was expecting #bringbackthebump

Is that first 5 chronologically, first 5 released, first 5 most up to date versions or what?

There are a lot of ys games and a lot of ys remakes/redos

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

He did the 3d remake of the first one, and then the older 2d remake of the first two and then snes ports of the others

He's a fellow Pringles speedrunner so we dubbed it "once you ys, you can't cease"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

once you boat, you can't float

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The story behind the real life myth of Ys is pretty cool.

SeXReX posted:

He did the 3d remake of the first one, and then the older 2d remake of the first two and then snes ports of the others

He's a fellow Pringles speedrunner so we dubbed it "once you ys, you can't cease"

I didn't even know that there was a 3D version of ys 1.

I'm still waiting for them to remake Ys 5. The first Ys I ever played was 6 on the ps2 and it fuckin opens with lovely voice acting of a character from 5 being like "ADOL REMEMBER ME FROM OUR ADVENTURE IN XANDRIA 3 YEARS AGO?" and it's like no, I loving don't.

Ys 6 also being the game that started tying random bits of lore together was pretty cool too, still dunno wtf the eye in the jar was though and if that ever got addressed in any later Ys game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Oh I just learned that origins is in fact not 3d Ys 1

He played that first

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok

Yeah Origins is just Ys 0. Then Ys 1 and 2 are 1 game, Ys 3 had the major remake with Oath in Felghana, and then I think there are like 3 or 4 different versions of 4 telling different stories and being separate games with the newest version being considered the canon one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

still dunno wtf the eye in the jar was though and if that ever got addressed in any later Ys game.

I think it's just a Galba that never got finished

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

I think it's just a Galba that never got finished

Huh. Probably should do something about that then.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Honestly it needed to be, they’ve been telling a continuation of a story that started in like 2010. It’s a really good story but at some point it needs to end

It's the overarching story of FF14 though. :shrug: Once the conflict between gods and the battle against the empire is resolved what will there even be to move on to?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Aliens

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I am playing Ocarina of Time in an N64 emulator and with a bunch of anti-aliasing this game still holds up quite well imo! The frame rate is low but at least consistent, and as someone still playing with a PS3 that's something.

Looking forward to trying to unlock the giant's knife again, I remember that being a real pain 20 years ago

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The OoT water temple: is it good?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only rough part of the Giant's Knife quest is having to play the Sun Song a bunch to get through the 72 hour wait at the end. Crossing Hyrule Field takes way less time than you remember as a kid

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm not sure I've ever not enjoyed a JK Simmons role.

JK Simmons is always at worst the best thing in a bad movie.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Jay Rust posted:

it's easy to miss a couple of the keys and end up heading down long sections without enough to finish it and then have to do a lot of backtracking to search that involves shifting the water level a lot but if you actually do it all on the first pass iirc you just cycle through them once and it's pretty steady progression through.

Oot is 20fps but yeah, it's pretty much always 20fps until you start blowing up a lot of things, so it feels fine unlike certain other big N64 titles

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’d be ok if I never have to change water levels ever again

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Jay Rust posted:

I’d be ok if I never have to change water levels ever again

sounds like you want to learn the cool way where you just walk right to Morpha's lair and clip through the boss door

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

No

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Played some “Final Fantasy 7” last night and I got to the end of Midgar

I am enjoying myself, but probably purely because I can 3x speed battles and long walking sequences and stop random battles when I’m trying to parse a background JPEG

Now it’s exciting because I know barely anything about FF7 after Midgar other than the thing so the rest of it will be new to me

Also where did Cloud get a bike?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Isn’t there like a car showroom near the lobby?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

Isn’t there like a car showroom near the lobby?

That wasn’t clear from the level design but it did appear that way in the cinematic

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I let my niece/nephews who have become obsessed with nintendo try Smash Ultimate today and it was v cute seeing them lose their minds at how many characters there were

also it reminded me of marth in melee where both my nephews now think Joker and Corrin (???) are the coolest characters ever even though they have no idea who they are

update: "can you be waluigi" "no" ":( i wanted to play brothers with wario"

sakurai...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinking about that ff7 bootleg demake for the nes

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

homeless snail posted:

people always say to start with 0 but, I extremely disagree and currently replaying 0 only makes me even more sure of that. so much of the story in that game is written relying on you knowing who these characters are and understanding what their relationships and fates are going to be in future games. I think the new wave of yakuza fans that started with 0 were being extremely generous in their willingness to let that stuff be blanks to be filled in later but, they're extremely not supposed to be mysteries as written. yakuza 1 is the beginning of the story

never not release order. although its probably fine to play 0 any time after 1

I made an effort post but realized it was a lot of words to say that even if the story of 0 is weaker if it’s your first RGG Studio ride it probably has the most to offer with its gameplay (gameplay being side poo poo you abandon the story to do) that’s a lot of the appeal. The story is weaker without other games to inform it but Y1’s story is weaker without Nishki having scenes of being Kiryu’s best bro so eh.

I’d probably say 7 is the best one for new people by far at this point cause at least there’s a dub for the hours of earlygame setup dialogue to slog through in 0/7 and it almost has as much to do as 0/5, but tbh there’s probably not a clean consistent answer.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I like to imagine these shots are perfect 2D with both sides maintaining an elaborate balancing act

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Why does Nanaki look like a little red horse?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

wuggles posted:

That wasn’t clear from the level design but it did appear that way in the cinematic

if you had gone through the front door rather than up the stairs, you would have seen the bike and truck showcases

also I am the guy who has been working his way through FFXIV to get to Shadowbringers. I'm also hella excited that Endwalker looks like The FFIV Expansion because it's my favorite one

however after a month and a half I'm just beginning Stormblood, the expac before Shadowbringers

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

wuggles posted:

You can indeed see the escape vehicles when you infiltrate the tower

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

It's actually pretty good, the translation patch also makes the game more balanced and not a grindy slog

It's very cool

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Water Temple sucks but IMO Fire Temple is worse.

Though that's probably partially because it just sucks major rear end from a randomizer perspective

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

stev posted:

If I'd started with 1 instead of 0 I probably wouldn't have bothered carrying on to Kiwami 2, which is absolutely fantastic.

same, i don't think I'd have any interest in playing the others if I'd started with kiwami 1

Jay Rust posted:

yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the official band of ff14, is very silly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63eYyhpW1Bo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol, I guess it’s after fair that after years of chugging herbs, estus, snorting lifegem dust, and the new hotness, super armored rallying through attacks when I’m not sucking by blood, that one of the Bloodborne can just heal after taking too much damage. I’m glad this game continues to humble me when I start thinking I’m hot poo poo.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

koji fox has finally ascended from weeb lord to sith lord. what a baller

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hes just cosplaying as the guy from mystery of the druids

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Insect Glaive is spin 2 win

literally

R2 + X + Triangle to spin attack, mount the monster, and win

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rarity posted:

What's the best radio station to listen to in GTA4 if I like pop/electro/girly indie?

I think there's one station that is explicitly pop but otherwise I only ever listened to FlyLoFM

wuggles posted:

Now it’s exciting because I know barely anything about FF7 after Midgar other than the thing so the rest of it will be new to me

I liked the character work of FF7Re a lot but I thought the game had some major pacing/gameplay issues, and I'm kind of worried about the subsequent episodes. I think Midgar is the most interesting and consistent part of the game thematically, so it would have been the easiest to build the new game's framework around. Disk 2 is where the game start veering into the original game's pacing issues and it totally abandons a lot of the themes of environmentalism and anti-corporate messaging. I think the most surprising thing about Re was just how much of the original game was still in there, but just meshed seamlessly with the new stuff. Part 2 is where I think the real challenges will be about trying to meet a balance between old and new

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Inspired by Sohla's new video I think I'm going to make chicken wings with a maple syrup, gochujang, diced jalapenos, and lime juice glaze

wings are so good to make at home and i just bought some gochujang on a whim last shopping trip, gonna have to try these out when i buy some maple