Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The best thing about star wars is how it's just death stars over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I still think about Myers' poetry bit in So I Married an Axe Murderer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

the conveyor belt droid factory bit in episode 2 happened because lucas had them go into the greenscreen room and do a bunch of running and jumping and american ninja warrior poo poo over foam obstacles and then figured out something to do with all the footage after

Yeah there's a behind the scenes video of Natalie Portman doing that and at one point she stops and breaks down laughing and walks up to Lucas and says "I'm sorry, this is just so weird, I don't have any idea what I'm doing" and he says "don't worry, it'll look good in the film"

Narrator: It did not look good in the film.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

lord funk posted:

i saw phantom menace in the theater with a friend, and while we were all still jacked-up on new star wars and darth maul, she was like: 'that movie was trash garbage.'

it took us months to come around, but when we did we made sure to formally apologize for being so loving wrong

I had this same experience with independence day except I was the one who saw it for the piece of crap it was

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

TimWinter posted:

I still think about Myers' poetry bit in So I Married an Axe Murderer.

Woman!

Whoa-man!

Shame about his career post Austin Powers. Real Alien/Aliens situation with the first two and then he just made garbage afterwards forever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I had this same experience with independence day except I was the one who saw it for the piece of crap it was

this isn’t the same experience, you’re objectively wrong about that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mystes posted:

The best thing about star wars is how it's just death stars over and over again.

https://twitter.com/bobvulfov/status/654461175753674752

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah independence day is a silly but fun summer action flick that knows exactly what it is, you probably just have some bullshit hangup

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

yeah independence day is a silly but fun summer action flick that knows exactly what it is, you probably just have some bullshit hangup

Ya

It's got big Pacific Rim energy. So dumb. So awesome

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

rjmccall posted:

imagine one hundred and fifty novels about the id eu

choose a side promotions at burger king between the aliems and earth

would watch a prequel with brent spiners old fat clone in the lab “inventing” 20th century technology

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
will smith and alien action figures, alien saucer model kits

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if you didn't cheer when the dog escaped the fire in the tunnel then gently caress off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my favorite little bit of worldbuilding in pacific rim is how the whole point of the jaegers is you can't just nuke the kaiju because their blood is poisonous so you have to punch them to death to minimize environmental contamination

and then the chinese jaeger shows up running container ship diesel engines and three circular saws on its arms

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite little bit of worldbuilding in pacific rim is how the whole point of the jaegers is you can't just nuke the kaiju because their blood is poisonous so you have to punch them to death to minimize environmental contamination

and then the chinese jaeger shows up running container ship diesel engines and three circular saws on its arms

the cool russian one didn't last long enough

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if you didn't cheer when the dog escaped the fire in the tunnel then gently caress off

and when will smith punches the alium in the face

and when randy flies into the laser cannon

and shed a tear for liberty when the president gives his speech

hell yeah

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the russian robot has a fuckin cooling tower for a head lol that's cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the cool russian one didn't last long enough

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

and when randy flies into the laser cannon

they should have believed him!!!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress now i gotta find a 4k version of both pacific rim and independence day to watch tonight

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
don't watch the new independence day it's crap. the only good parts are when they show people looting the crashed ships, that's what the whole thing should have been about

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the russian robot has a fuckin cooling tower for a head lol that's cool

it has a big metal cylinder in each of its fists that it wraps its fingers around like a roll of nickels

mystes
May 31, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

don't watch the new independence day it's crap. the only good parts are when they show people looting the crashed ships, that's what the whole thing should have been about
Same but the new star wars movies.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thread moved away from fast and furious chat too quickly

it’s one of the best modern action franchises and features an amazing ensemble cast

Jonny 290 posted:

wow i saw the original but didnt know there were sequels. They any good? i thought the main dude drove into a tree

he did, they had a really nice send off for him at the end of one of the movies using his brother as a stand in

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Same but the new star wars movies.

same but the old star wars movies.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Fool posted:

he did, they had a really nice send off for him at the end of one of the movies using his brother as a stand in

I embarrassingly teared up in the theater during this. the song also rules

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm wtahcing Space Sweepers and it's a pretty decent staurday afternoon movie

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
btw Paul Walked dated teenagers as a 30-something year old man

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
it’s been brought up in thread before but redline is absolutely stunning. I haven’t seen it since it came out in 2011 so I got extra baked and put it on :golf:

the music kicks just as much rear end as the animation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fart Sandwiches posted:

it’s been brought up in thread before but redline is absolutely stunning. I haven’t seen it since it came out in 2011 so I got extra baked and put it on :golf:

It's on youtube OP, same with the OG ghost in the shell.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

it's so good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family when family's all that we got? everything I went through you were standing there by my side, and now you gon be with me for the last ride

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
paul walker final scene meme but it’s uh idk like some star trek guys so you nerds love it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rjmccall posted:

yeah, the cgi is bad, and the acting/direction is wooden (with a few exceptions), and the dialogue is laughable, and a surprising number of supporting characters are racist caricatures. but also the jedi and sith are just weak as a premise and are never given any substance; we spend three movies watching the rise of palpatine and we never learn anything about what he actually wants except that he hates the jedi

also a ten thousand year old republic converts to space nazism overnight because some trade negotiations go a bit wrong

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sweevo posted:

also a ten thousand year old republic converts to space nazism overnight because some trade negotiations go a bit wrong

always has been meme

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sweevo posted:

ok so it’s not all fantasy

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m watching the mando now and lol yeah the rebels are totally space cops

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

i’m watching the mando now and lol yeah the rebels are totally space cops

well yeah they're not rebels anymore, they're the government

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bump_fn posted:

paul walker final scene meme but it’s uh idk like some star trek guys so you nerds love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1WYnJF1Pwo

Probably just another not-great Netflix film, but I'm impressed at how good quality a film's SFX can be done for a "bargain" budget; IMDB says the whole film cost $20M USD, which would get you approx 8 minutes of an angry Hulk.

136mins runtime is a bit of a nope for me though, not with my attenuated covidworld attention span.