Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Other than being able to connect 2+ displays what is the advantage of the M1 mbp vs the M1 mb air

I haven't looked at this in detail but seems like the M1 macbook AIR is a direct upgrade from the 13" top of the line Intel mb pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The M1 mbp is actively cooled so under sustained load it doesn't have to throttle. The M1 Air will eventually throttle if you manage to heat soak it.

So, if you run high performance workloads for sustained 5+ minutes at a time, you may see better performance with the M1 mbp.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok that's fair

It's been a while since I saw the marketing materials, I was under the impression that all M1 devices were passively cooled

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even though the MBP and Mac Mini have "active cooling," they are supposedly barely audible even under sustained loads. I can't wait for the M2 or M1x whatever.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Got an email from Best Buy that the release date changed for the new laptop and it’s going to ship Tuesday now :cool:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm looking at upgrading my Razer Blade 15 as I really hate the UP-ARROW key next to the SHIFT key and after years I never got used to it and the hate only intensified. The new Razer Blade 15 fixes this and has a sweet laundry list of things that I want, but has a dogshit Intel processor. I use the Blade as my gaming while traveling laptop that can also be used in a professional setting without being embarrassed.

Question. Are there any other AMD CPU laptops out there right now that have about the same size as weight as the Razer Blade, do not have the embarrassing PC GAMER aesthetic, and include these nice features that Razer added:

* 1440p 120hz+, IPS, G-Sync
* 3000 series GPU's
* A good keyboard
* A good trackpad
* Decent battery life
* Decent speakers

Price is not a problem, within reason.
If there is nothing quite like it, and the Intel CPU's are really not that much slower than AMD at gaming, I could just get yet another Razer Blade that ticks all those boxes. Otherwise I'll be happy to switch brands.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Hadlock posted:

Other than being able to connect 2+ displays what is the advantage of the M1 mbp vs the M1 mb air

The M1 MBP is also limited to only 1 external display. The Mini can run 2 (1 DP, 1 HDMI), but that's it unless you start using USB-DisplayLink stuff.

e. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351 Here's the apple support page about it.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 6, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

The M1 MBP is also limited to only 1 external display. The Mini can run 2 (1 DP, 1 HDMI), but that's it unless you start using USB-DisplayLink stuff.

If you plug it into a thunderbolt 3 dock what happens? My dock has 1 DP + 1 HDMI (similar to what you describe on the Mini) would I just get an angry pop up from apple about that or what

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It just doesn't work. Only one display out from the dock will activate.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Animal posted:

I'm looking at upgrading my Razer Blade 15 as I really hate the UP-ARROW key next to the SHIFT key and after years I never got used to it and the hate only intensified. The new Razer Blade 15 fixes this and has a sweet laundry list of things that I want, but has a dogshit Intel processor. I use the Blade as my gaming while traveling laptop that can also be used in a professional setting without being embarrassed.

Question. Are there any other AMD CPU laptops out there right now that have about the same size as weight as the Razer Blade, do not have the embarrassing PC GAMER aesthetic, and include these nice features that Razer added:

* 1440p 120hz+, IPS, G-Sync
* 3000 series GPU's
* A good keyboard
* A good trackpad
* Decent battery life
* Decent speakers

Price is not a problem, within reason.
If there is nothing quite like it, and the Intel CPU's are really not that much slower than AMD at gaming, I could just get yet another Razer Blade that ticks all those boxes. Otherwise I'll be happy to switch brands.

10th gen intel isn’t worth updating to. I’m waiting until summer for full-fat 11th gen tiger lake cpus to be available in the blade 15, then I’m in.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

10th gen intel isn’t worth updating to. I’m waiting until summer for full-fat 11th gen tiger lake cpus to be available in the blade 15, then I’m in.

I guess that's what I'll have to do. I looked at all the upcoming stuff from other brands and though they are getting better at more subtle industrial design, its still a lot of cringe. That new Gigabyte with the dual screens does look rad as gently caress, and the ASUS with the external GPU is tempting but the screen is too small. They should have gone 15" 1440p. And woe to you when that external GPU becomes obsolete.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As opposed to when an embedded GPU becomes on as obsolete?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Zero VGS posted:

If I have a brand new laptop with an infrared Windows Hello camera, is there a way to access it? Specifically I'd like to use it with a 3D scanning app to scan a small object or something. It shows up in Device Manager but I'm googling for a way to gain access to it and don't see anything.
Someone said Kinect is better, someone said a dedicated device probably exists. Just in case you're seriously looking for hardware for this, I did some stuff with an Intel RealSense camera and it was pretty decent at being able to map medium-sized surfaces to 3D once you have the software (I wrote custom software for it at work, I don't know how good off-the-shelf software is at it). It was about millimeter accurate, so not good for very small objects like figurines, and had about a 2 meter range so not good for couches, but great for 3D-ing things the size of e.g. your face or hand.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

As opposed to when an embedded GPU becomes on as obsolete?

Yes. I bet that a couple of years from now there isn’t gonna be much performance difference between an embedded 3080 and the external one in the new games we’ll be playing. The external one is just a laptop 3080 with more power and better cooling. At least the embedded one won’t take extra room in my backpack, and it would have been cheaper. The external solution would be so much better if you could put an off the shelf ASUS desktop GPU PCB in it, then I’d be all for it.

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 6, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The external GPU has 15% TDP advantage on top of a significant clock speed advantage, it's going to remain viable longer than any of the embedded implementations we've seen so far.

Also, the fact that the heat from that GPU isn't in the chassis of main device means a lot less wear and tear.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"It's big and I need to carry it around" is definitely a valid complaint but the idea that it somehow becomes obsolete faster (despite being faster and, you know, not soldered in) is a head scratcher.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The external GPU has 15% TDP advantage on top of a significant clock speed advantage, it's going to remain viable longer than any of the embedded implementations we've seen so far.

Also, the fact that the heat from that GPU isn't in the chassis of main device means a lot less wear and tear.

You brought up it’s drawback. It’s just a laptop GPU on an expensive external module which uses a proprietary format and only provides an extra 15% TDP and thus whatever extra boost that will get you. By the time it’s obsolete you’ll be better off getting a whole new laptop so the ease on wear and tear will be moot. Its new and it’s already not that much faster than a dGPU solution to make it worth carrying around for road warriors. If the GPU was a desktop part then it would be in a different class. Also the small screen size means it’s not a good desktop replacement, you are better off using the money to build a desktop and getting a cheap ultra portable on the side.

It’s a step in the right direction, though. I’ve been following eGPU’s since Dell tried them on Alienwares. I hope someday soon there will be enough bandwidth over Thunderbolt/USB so that proprietary solutions like these are not necessary. I’d love to buy a top of the line GPU and put it inside a compact external enclosure that I can use on both my desktop and an ultra portable laptop.

Lockback posted:

"It's big and I need to carry it around" is definitely a valid complaint but the idea that it somehow becomes obsolete faster (despite being faster and, you know, not soldered in) is a head scratcher.

I didn’t say it will become obsolete faster, but that when it does become obsolete it’s just extra crap you have to lug around for not that much of a performance advantage over a dGPU from the same generation. And you paid a whole lot more for it. I travel for a living, in 2 years I rather have the obsolete soldered in 3080 that’s just a few FPS slower in Cyberpunk 2078 or whatever fully path traced showpiece game is hot then.

Animal fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 6, 2021

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'll probably be doing some light work on it but mostly gaming and general Internet use. I tend to be big into indie games, so super high performance isn't a priority - for reference, my current gaming desktop is over ten years old and last had a GPU upgrade five or six years ago, so I have to imagine anything made last year is probably an upgrade. Very comfortable with turning all graphical settings down as low as they go just to get to the gameplay. I've got a budget of about $600-1000, and on the whole I'd prefer something more durable and portable as I travel a fair bit for work - something that resists salt corrosion would be choice, though I have no idea if they actually design laptops for that or not. Not absolutely required, though. What kind of models should I be looking at to get started?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Animal posted:

I’d love to buy a top of the line GPU and put it inside a compact external enclosure that I can use on both my desktop and an ultra portable laptop.

Have you seen today's top of the line desktop gpus?

You are never putting that poo poo in a compact enclosure because the GPUs themselves aren't compact.

A naked RTX 3080 FE out of the box already weighs a half a pound more than the whole ROG XG Mobile package. Any desktop CPU is going to be a massive difference in portability to the point where you are probably going to be better off just building a miniITX system. It's never going to be sometime like this where the eGPU is the size and weight of a hardback book that you can just toss in a backpack.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tomn posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'll probably be doing some light work on it but mostly gaming and general Internet use. I tend to be big into indie games, so super high performance isn't a priority - for reference, my current gaming desktop is over ten years old and last had a GPU upgrade five or six years ago, so I have to imagine anything made last year is probably an upgrade. Very comfortable with turning all graphical settings down as low as they go just to get to the gameplay. I've got a budget of about $600-1000, and on the whole I'd prefer something more durable and portable as I travel a fair bit for work - something that resists salt corrosion would be choice, though I have no idea if they actually design laptops for that or not. Not absolutely required, though. What kind of models should I be looking at to get started?

Now is kind of an awkward time for a laptop but honestly it'll be awkward until summer probably.

I'd probably target a 1660ti or higher. I know you said your gaming habits aren't high-end but I since you use your laptops for a long time I feel like a 1650 or lower would end up being something holding you back.

The "best" answer for what you want is this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

But it's $200 over your budget. The G14 is a great combo of really powerful, really portable, great build construction and heat management, just a badass all-around laptop. I have this exact model.

Sticking more to your budget, This Gigabyte Auros is a real good deal:
https://www.newegg.com/p/34-725-086...o9CGTWV2Jk._fxA

If you want a huge screen this leopard is alright:
https://www.costco.com/msi-gl75-leo....100579343.html
Another step down in build quality and heat management (these get warm) but I've used rebranded MSI, they're decent. I'd probably not call this super portable.

Similar to the Auros, here's a Lenovo:
https://www.costco.com/lenovo-legio....100568543.html

I feel like a month ago I could have found a couple good deals for ~$800 but pickings are getting slim. If you can stretch your budget for the G14 that will be the best option by a mile. Good laptop deals are going to get scarce for a while.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Animal posted:

By the time it’s obsolete you’ll be better off getting a whole new laptop so the ease on wear and tear will be moot.
That seems to be missing the point re wear and tear. Yes, *after* it's obsolete and you have to replace it the wear and tear thing is irrelevant, obviously, but if it *doesn't* become obsolete before its heat behavior if integrated would have hosed up your laptop, then the reduced wear and tear means you don't have to replace it as soon.

With the rate at which things are advancing (not that fast) that seems like a plausible situation. I've been through one and a half laptops with basically the same performance just because gaming laptops start to fall apart after a couple of years.

Of course there's still the possibility that the laptop falls apart regardless of the GPU not being in it, too, in which case ... maybe you've saved something by being able to reuse the external GPU with a replacement? But probably not because the connections will all have changed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there any after-market cooling device I can use on an MBA? Like, would just a desk fan be sufficient to combat throttling?

I haven't ever experienced throttling yet on my MBA and don't intend to for my use case I was just curious if there's any option to keep it cool-- even if it's ugly?

I remember there were these docks or whatever for the old Xbox 360 that was just a fan because of the heat-- there must be something similar.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jokes posted:

Is there any after-market cooling device I can use on an MBA? Like, would just a desk fan be sufficient to combat throttling?

I haven't ever experienced throttling yet on my MBA and don't intend to for my use case I was just curious if there's any option to keep it cool-- even if it's ugly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KZuVqodak

:think:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yikes lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I remember there were these docks or whatever for the old Xbox 360 that was just a fan because of the heat-- there must be something similar.

I haven't used a MBA so I dunno at what point heat is an issue, but a cooling pad in general is a real good investment if your laptop generally has a "spot" it sits in anyway.

I have one that's part of a riser for a sit/stand desk (sort of like this) https://smile.amazon.com/Soundance-Adjustable-Compatible-Ergonomic-LS2/dp/B089YB9192/

And I also have this one, which is real quiet
https://smile.amazon.com/TeckNet-Cooling-Portable-Ultra-Slim-Notebook/dp/B014F4SBMK/

For the MBA you'll need a C-to-A adapter too, I think most of these have a A plug.

Basically a cooling pad will keep throttling from happening, help reduce some thermal wear and tear, and possibly give you a more ergonomic angle anyway.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Lockback posted:

Now is kind of an awkward time for a laptop but honestly it'll be awkward until summer probably.

I'd probably target a 1660ti or higher. I know you said your gaming habits aren't high-end but I since you use your laptops for a long time I feel like a 1650 or lower would end up being something holding you back.

But it's $200 over your budget. The G14 is a great combo of really powerful, really portable, great build construction and heat management, just a badass all-around laptop. I have this exact model.

Another step down in build quality and heat management (these get warm) but I've used rebranded MSI, they're decent. I'd probably not call this super portable.

I feel like a month ago I could have found a couple good deals for ~$800 but pickings are getting slim. If you can stretch your budget for the G14 that will be the best option by a mile. Good laptop deals are going to get scarce for a while.

Hmm. Well, I was planning to spend money on a proper desktop gaming PC later, the laptop is more for travel, but this looks like a good place to start, thanks!

I take it by the way that the OP advice on gaming laptops not being realistic is outdated by now?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tomn posted:

Hmm. Well, I was planning to spend money on a proper desktop gaming PC later, the laptop is more for travel, but this looks like a good place to start, thanks!

I take it by the way that the OP advice on gaming laptops not being realistic is outdated by now?

Pretty much. I think "Gaming" means so many different things now. Desktops still give you a lot more performance but you can play any game on a G14 with "only" a 2060maxQ if your target is 60fps on 1080p. Combine it with a cooling pad and a good keyboard/mouse combo and you might never notice you're using a laptop.

The thing is there are some people who think getting anything less than 144fps on 1440+ res is unplayable, and only AAA graphic-boundary-pushing games count as "real games", for those people anything but the highest end gaming laptops right now would suffice. If you're playing Civ6 or DOTA or something your laptop is going to do great.

I'd maybe consider some of those ROG 3070/3080 laptops as a solution for both a "desktop" and portable solution, especially right now when you won't find parts. You have to understand you are making compromises to do that and your upgrade path will basically be "get a new everything" but for many people that would be a really good fit. The gulf between desktop and laptop GPUs narrowed a lot with the 1xxx series and 2xxx series but it's starting to get pretty wide again, so just know a laptop 3070 won't be like a desktop, but its still drat impressive.

ne area I care about is VR, and I feel like most laptops are not a great platform for that outside of some pinch hitting now and then. So it mostly really comes down to what a person wants to do with their machine.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm more or less in the same boat as Tomn. Do we know any of the products that are coming in the summer?

Lockback posted:

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I’m holding out for the Legion 5 Pro sometime about March or April. There was a spec sheet accidentally posted showing the first model has a Ryzen 7 5800H and GeForce 3070 config.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I'm more or less in the same boat as Tomn. Do we know any of the products that are coming in the summer?

Right now there is very limited stock and even in normal years it takes a few months before anything goes on sale. So there's cool stuff out there, but its expensive. The cheaper stuff is normally trickling out in the next few months and usually previous gen stuff on sale covers the gap. But stock of previous gen stuff is more limited and I think high end stuff will be more limited in availability so that puts even MORE pressure on what is available now. So this is normally a bad time, but this year its even worse.

Anyway, you'll want to look out for MSI/Eluktronics/Lenovo in the next couple months, and whenever they have a 3050ti or equivalent that will probably be real interesting to look into. But the stuff I posted above is probably going to be the near the best of what you can expect in terms of perf/$ for a while, is my guess. There will be some flash-in-the-pan firesales, but like I said I think it's a bad year for that.

I think May/June things will look better.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Understood. Just curious if anything had been announced yet for that timeframe.

Lockback posted:

Right now there is very limited stock and even in normal years it takes a few months before anything goes on sale. So there's cool stuff out there, but its expensive. The cheaper stuff is normally trickling out in the next few months and usually previous gen stuff on sale covers the gap. But stock of previous gen stuff is more limited and I think high end stuff will be more limited in availability so that puts even MORE pressure on what is available now. So this is normally a bad time, but this year its even worse.

Anyway, you'll want to look out for MSI/Eluktronics/Lenovo in the next couple months, and whenever they have a 3050ti or equivalent that will probably be real interesting to look into. But the stuff I posted above is probably going to be the near the best of what you can expect in terms of perf/$ for a while, is my guess. There will be some flash-in-the-pan firesales, but like I said I think it's a bad year for that.

I think May/June things will look better.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
anyone have any insight into the UK/Europe market?

I found this 2060 G14 for £1600 ($2100!) which seems pretty expensive since I've seen some of you US guys getting deals on them for half that price. Is this just the cost of living on a doomed island?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tactical Grace posted:

anyone have any insight into the UK/Europe market?

I found this 2060 G14 for £1600 ($2100!) which seems pretty expensive since I've seen some of you US guys getting deals on them for half that price. Is this just the cost of living on a doomed island?

Electronics overseas end up being much more expensive especially with the VAT factored in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jokes posted:

The best, cheapest and most reliable aftermarket cooler for a thin laptop is a pair of those pink parallelogram erasers from grade school underneath the back two corners

If you can get the back end of your laptop up by a quarter inch you'll more than double the airflow across the back surface, and it's totally passive

I wouldn't worry about a more comprehensive solution unless you're doing 3D CAD for more than six hours a day, etc. This is not your father's 260 watt Pentium 4. At idle (which is most of the time) the M1 probably draws less than 8 watts, probably half that.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The new HP Envy 14 looks pretty good? I'm not a gamer, or even a power user / editor /graphic designer or anything but I have my eye on maybe finally buying my first laptop. For me, its all about build quality and bezel size, and this one really seems to tick those boxes in a mid-range price. The specs look decent too - https://www.anandtech.com/show/16377/ces-2021-hp-envy-14-refreshed

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
I see 3060-laptops being introduced right about now, and that's really nice - but the price in Europe is almost double of that in the US.

I guess the question is - go for a used 2060 RTX-lap (will cost me about half'ish) or spend 2000'ish USD for a 3060 lap. In negotiations with someone wanting to sell a Asus Rog Strix G731GV 17,3" FHD 144 - and it looks like a decent package.

I play mostly War Thunder and Anno 1800, and I doubt I'm going to use raytracing at all, but the DLSS boost is huge in War Thunder and thats why Im moving away from my current Lenovo with a 1660TI.

I also want a 17" because a 15.6" just feels small and its hard as hell to spot enemies / whats going on.

It looks like a 2060 with a DLSS-supported game should crank out pretty good FPS in 1080p for a while, but are there other amazing gains to getting a 3060 and also probably a new Ryzen? Looking specifically at the Asus TUF 17" - looks nice, its just that insane price.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's a lot of money for a bunch of very marginal performance upgrades. The 2060 mobile is going to be about 10% faster than the 1660ti. The 3060 looks to be about 20% faster than the 2060. Those jumps seem hardly worth $1000 and $2000 USD respectively. The ROG is 1080p, which will mute a lot of the DLSS value, and I think trying to run DLSS on a 2060 mobile at 1080p is going to be pretty blurry in War Thunder.

Would just an external monitor work better for you in this situation?

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

Lockback posted:

That's a lot of money for a bunch of very marginal performance upgrades. The 2060 mobile is going to be about 10% faster than the 1660ti. The 3060 looks to be about 20% faster than the 2060. Those jumps seem hardly worth $1000 and $2000 USD respectively. The ROG is 1080p, which will mute a lot of the DLSS value, and I think trying to run DLSS on a 2060 mobile at 1080p is going to be pretty blurry in War Thunder.

Would just an external monitor work better for you in this situation?

Main focus would be getting a larger screen and the framerate boost of dlss because its pretty huge. Might look horrible though, hadnt thought of that.

I do have a desktop with a Nice monitor, just never use it. Kids and life sort of gets in the way.

The transition from My 15.6» 1660ti lenovo to a 17» 2060 wont really cost me much. Still leaning towards that solution, and at the same time a 3060 should be able to Max out most games in 1080p and push very smooth framerates where I notice the 1660ti struggles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you can sell the 1660ti and keep the upgrade cost marginal to the 2060 I'd probably do that over another $1000 for a 3060, but I have a very US mindset on cost-value. I'd maybe watch some videos on War Thunder DLSS on 1080p too to get an idea of what it'll look like to see if the upgrade is worthwhile.

I also ended up hating a 17" laptop screen when I had one but they do have an audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

Lockback posted:

If you can sell the 1660ti and keep the upgrade cost marginal to the 2060 I'd probably do that over another $1000 for a 3060, but I have a very US mindset on cost-value. I'd maybe watch some videos on War Thunder DLSS on 1080p too to get an idea of what it'll look like to see if the upgrade is worthwhile.

I also ended up hating a 17" laptop screen when I had one but they do have an audience.

Would really love to hear more about the 17» hate if you have the time. Ive just been assuming Id see more enemies / whatever on a larger screen. I do sit in a sofa with a laptop support underneath, so not overly afraid of the size but could I be super-wrong?