Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SeANMcBAY posted:

Am I the only one that likes Duke more than Blood? Blood is great but I like the settings in Duke more.

Duke 3D for me too, glorious game. Some of my fav level design ever.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

What else should I be looking at for my upcoming games list?

F.E.A.R. (the first one mainly), No One Lives Forever (is available for free download), and Serious Sam (any iteration).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Recommending serious sam 3 is some cold poo poo

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

What else should I be looking at for my upcoming games list? Can be new or old. In a moment of weakness I almost bought Daikatana on GOG, but came to my senses at the last minute.

Sin Gold
Serious Sam: First Encounter 1&2 HD
Painkiller
Halo Masterchief Collection

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
The year is 2028, the Quake reboot is released as a non-linear extremely gory lovecraftian Metroid Prime. You strafejump around the corner right into a tall furry shambler, which looks significantly better with Nvidia Hairworks. It raises its bloody claws and they start sparking up, it doesn't look better with Nvidia PhysX cause nobody uses it. Sparks are flying everywhere, beautifully animated, bouncing off walls and also landing on the soft shambler fur which then ignites into flames. The shambler is now too busy to worry about you because it's loving dying and wondering what cruel elder god gave it electric abilities with a flammable body

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I sit in awe of this creature burning alive in ray traced 8k

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Clearly, the Wooly Shambler is adapted to arctic climates

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the shambler's skin is made out of that stuff that playground slides are made from which is why it's so good at generating electricity

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/kinofabino/status/1358154770024964096?s=21

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
If any of you folks are tools-curious, Trenchbroom now has its manual online, rather than requiring you to install TB to have a local copy of the manual.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
And an unrelated thing...

On Discord I ran across a couple of images (posted by "onetruepurple") taken from Romero's Quake postmortem. These show some of the original plans for the Quake shareware and registered versions. I know this sort of thing is just spitballing that has little relationship to the final game (ESPECIALLY in the case of Quake), but it is really weird to me to run across some Quake-related thing I've never seen/heard of before. So this was cool. "Chromite Slipgate"? "Freedom Sphere"? Something about how the "Bad Place" is a zone you end up in if you try to use a slipgate without having its key?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't even figure out what's happening here because I'm slow.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Heavy Metal posted:

F.E.A.R. (the first one mainly), No One Lives Forever (is available for free download), and Serious Sam (any iteration).

FEAR owns. I played a bit of that indie game tribute to it that came out last year (Trepanation or something?) and it brought back some good nostalgia, though I always thought the horror elements of FEAR sorta broke the pacing. I thought NOLF was in some kind of licensing hell? Or is it a strictly :filez: type situation? I'd love to revisit it (i think i last played it on a Pentium 3)

Castor Poe posted:

Sin Gold
Serious Sam: First Encounter 1&2 HD
Painkiller
Halo Masterchief Collection

I've never actually finished SIN but I own it a CD copy of it from back in the day. It's a shame Half-Life completely ate its lunch because I remember it being pretty unique and innovative for the time. Are Painkiller and Painkiller: Black the same? I have it wishlisted on GOG waiting for a sale but I've never played any of the series. I've played Serious Sam TFE but I've never touched TSE, except for playing the demo from a demo disk a million years ago

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

chaosapiant posted:

I can't even figure out what's happening here because I'm slow.

Could just be random Kino Fabino'ing. But might be related to a Vice article passed around recently (on the Duke anniversary) about how Duke 3D was bad/regressive and a forerunner for a lot of the bad/regressive things in vidyagames today. Various online folks started posting about how actually the Duke community is cuddly and progressive these days. Which, yeah, there's a lot of "wholesome memery" around Duke and other shooters but eh some of the official forum/discord places are a wretched hive of scum and villainy, so.

I guess the real lesson is that you can take what you want from these old games.

I think this Liz Ryerson piece is more interesting than the Vice thing: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/04/duke-nukems-dystopian-fantasies/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had to drop my play through of Half Life 2 with MMOD after secondary fire modes stopped working and then I got stuck playing zoomed in when I crouched to go through a gap. Shame, I was really enjoying the mod's improvements but it's bugs like that which kill it for me.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Voodoo Cafe posted:

FEAR owns. I played a bit of that indie game tribute to it that came out last year (Trepanation or something?) and it brought back some good nostalgia, though I always thought the horror elements of FEAR sorta broke the pacing. I thought NOLF was in some kind of licensing hell? Or is it a strictly :filez: type situation? I'd love to revisit it (i think i last played it on a Pentium 3)

I've never actually finished SIN but I own it a CD copy of it from back in the day. It's a shame Half-Life completely ate its lunch because I remember it being pretty unique and innovative for the time. Are Painkiller and Painkiller: Black the same? I have it wishlisted on GOG waiting for a sale but I've never played any of the series. I've played Serious Sam TFE but I've never touched TSE, except for playing the demo from a demo disk a million years ago

Painkiller: Black is just Painkiller plus its expansion pack. Get it if you want the complete Painkiller just stay away from Painkiller: Overdose.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Squeezy Farm posted:

agreed. boring boxy levels with few landmarks filled with mystery switches and key hunts. i'm halfway through and not sure i'll be able to finish it since it's so dull.

it's really a testament to how far fan wads have taken the game though.

members of the community have called it the spiritual doom 3 for a long time but this most accurately applies to the engine features - lighting, scripting, and the two working together. Hexen was a big influence on the Midway team when they made it and they brought Doom back closer to its D&D / dungeon crawler roots as far as establishing a core gameplay loop. it's antithetical to the way that the community has generally moved in the years since 1997. that said, i am a total sucker for mystery switches, key hunts, and most of the other aspects of Dungeon Crawler Doom.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Voodoo Cafe posted:

A very long, awesome post

Welcome! This thread reignited my love of old school shooters too, and your list is a drat fine one.

I totally understand the apathy towards Build engine titles (except for Blood), its an odd engine that does very unique things that you either jive with or don't. Also, I thnk Duke 3d's space station episode is a big ball of "meh".

I know you've got a long long list of things to play (heck, I still haven't played Quake or FEAR) but I do recommend...

1) Star Wars Dark Forces. Maligned as a Doom clone, this is actually a super strong shooter that took and evolved what Doom did. For me, it was the first time I really saw "full 3d" in a title and I was mesmerized. Early in the first level, there was one stormtrooper on a roof who just would not go down no matter how many inaccurate shots I sent his way. Ten minutes later, I found an elevator that took me to THAT roof, and I took him down with such glee.

It's a bit more find-the-key heavy than Doom, but nowhere near most other retro shooters. Good star wars title, too.

2) You mentioned a few, but have you dug into Total Conversions for Doom? I'd recommend - Batman Doom, an early classic that practically broke the engine back in the 90s. For a while it was completely incompatible with most modern ports of Doom, but fans have since gone in and worked their magic. Its an early favorite of mine, and features solid level design and many bells and whistles.

Adventures of Square is another favorite of mine (and this thread).

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

E;fb

Narcissus1916 posted:

2) You mentioned a few, but have you dug into Total Conversions for Doom? I'd recommend - Batman Doom, an early classic that practically broke the engine back in the 90s. For a while it was completely incompatible with most modern ports of Doom, but fans have since gone in and worked their magic. Its an early favorite of mine, and features solid level design and many bells and whistles.

Adventures of Square is another favorite of mine (and this thread).

Another good one is the Aliens TC from WAY back in the day.

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 6, 2021

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh poo poo yeah! I played that a few years ago and the Aliens TC STILL holds up.

I like Pirate Doom too, but that might just be latent Monkey Island nostalgia talking.

I know its a bit of a joke, but Chex Quest is fun too. Its my gaming ambien, just super chill and relaxed but in a weirdly good way

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chex Quest is good. They hosed up by remaking it in Unreal 4.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pyrolocutus posted:

The Shambler will have fur in the next Quake game but only because Ranger will accidentally eat a Spawn and TRIP BALLS. When he comes down, he'll be disappointed to find the first Shambler he just killed has no fur, and in fact feels like a raw turkey.

Touch fuzzy (shambler), get dizzy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Someone should use trolling on furry shamblers to get Hugo excited to do a new Quake game. Dude loves trolling. Someone just needs to whisper in his ear that fans go nuts about furry shamblers and he'll be firing up the proposals in no time. Shamblers as fluffy as a loving Mareep.

And I realize people maybe don't care about a new Quake game or see the difference but I'd really enjoy a "cosmic horror" shooter done by id without the full on boring rear end mythos trappings, like the usual idiocy of not understanding what the word 'cyclopean' means. I guess Amid Evil kinda scratches that itch?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Shamblers rule, Stroggs drool.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The more I look at HROT, the more I'm wondering whether it's supposed to be Czech Quake, or Slavjank DUSK. It looks like the Quake inspiration is strongest from all the enemy types and general, well, brownness. Also, I never really wondered what the deal with the Shambler's "skin" was because I was too busy thinking "GAAAAH KILL IT KILL IT".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Am I the only one that likes Duke more than Blood? Blood is great but I like the settings in Duke more.

Honestly I think Blood is a bit crap

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

kirbysuperstar posted:

no!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Blood is the Bloodborne of old FPS's

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

I bought Fresh Supply and I kinda find it to just be Duke, but more. All the stuff I liked in Duke but more, and all the stuff I didn't like, but also more. Except no creepy, uh, Duke stuff. Which is a huge plus.

I need to play it more but I put it on the back burner realizing it doesn't really change the proposition at all and I finished duke3d relatively recently.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

au contraire blood is good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1358203151162118145?s=20
https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1358204132620869634?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
When it comes to Build Engine games, I've come to the realization that I love the weapons, but I hate the enemies

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

When it comes to Build Engine games, I've come to the realization that I love the weapons, but I hate the enemies

I agree with that completely.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

drrockso20 posted:

What if every hitscanner was a more brutal chain gunner.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Narcissus1916 posted:

Oh poo poo yeah! I played that a few years ago and the Aliens TC STILL holds up.

I like Pirate Doom too, but that might just be latent Monkey Island nostalgia talking.

I know its a bit of a joke, but Chex Quest is fun too. Its my gaming ambien, just super chill and relaxed but in a weirdly good way

Oh yeah! I played through ~6 ish levels of Pirate Doom and I found it super charming, I have to get back to that one as well! The nostalgia factor is ridiculous, especially the Melee Island stage. They absolutely nailed the color palette. My username comes from Monkey Island so I'm a sucker for that kinda thing.. I got to the stage with the frenzied inter-ship cannon battle but had some kind of GZDoom fuckery that made all the smoke effects 100% opaque, so it was basically impossible to hit anything.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dark Forces
Batman Doom
Adventures of Square
Aliens TC

Putting all of these on the list! I loved Dark Forces when I was a kid (although I found the maps ridiculously labyrinthine) and it was the first game I remember downloading a mod for (sprite replacement that turned the fists into a lightsaber instead, of course). Especially with that mouselook hack i saw posted in the thread somewhere, because i'm not holding my breath for DarkXL/Force Engine anytime soon :(

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Voodoo Cafe posted:

What else should I be looking at for my upcoming games list?
If you liked Blood, you should definitely try the mod Death Wish; it's one of the most well-regarded 90s FPS mods in general, to the point that the Fresh Supply version of Blood was specifically made compatible with it.
Concerning Doom WADs, you should also take a look at Eviternity.

The Marathon series is another one I'm personally fond of; it's also legally available as a free download.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Putting all of these on the list! I loved Dark Forces when I was a kid (although I found the maps ridiculously labyrinthine) and it was the first game I remember downloading a mod for (sprite replacement that turned the fists into a lightsaber instead, of course). Especially with that mouselook hack i saw posted in the thread somewhere, because i'm not holding my breath for DarkXL/Force Engine anytime soon :(
Dark Forces has a surprising amount of high-quality mods; Narcissus1916 put up a list of recommendations in this thread a long time ago:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&userid=199516&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post458044613
The Dark Tide series is probably the most impressive among them.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 7, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to get into Marathon but the enemies just look boring and unappealing to me. Same with Halo and Destiny come to think of it.:v:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Grimthwacker posted:

The more I look at HROT, the more I'm wondering whether it's supposed to be Czech Quake, or Slavjank DUSK. It looks like the Quake inspiration is strongest from all the enemy types and general, well, brownness. Also, I never really wondered what the deal with the Shambler's "skin" was because I was too busy thinking "GAAAAH KILL IT KILL IT".

It’s neither. It’s pretty clearly Chasm the Rift 2.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to get into Marathon but the enemies just look boring and unappealing to me. Same with Halo and Destiny come to think of it.:v:
Yeah, the enemies are more serviceable than good, to be honest. The infighting gets even more ridiculous than in Doom, though, since even enemies of the same type can and will infight with one another.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like Marathon’s enemies. Good variety of evil space bugs to shoot. They come in packs, they’re color coded for threat level, they move differently, attack differently, and the same tactics won’t work for all types. Marathon combat holds up imo, but there is a skill curve. The big impediment to picking up with Marathon 1 is overly mazy maps and irritating puzzles. They’re not everywhere but just frequent enough to break pacing. M2 dials back on the maziness and puzzle insanity somewhat and is probably easier to pick up and play, though you might be kind of lost as to the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll give Marathon another shot someday only because I actually earned the Marathon helmet way back in Halo 3.