Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Pet shop boys rule.

The first time I saw the video for/heard the song West End Girls it was on VH1 Classic at like 3:00 in morning and I just started cracking up because of The Flight of the Conchords parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

Pet shop boys rule.

I like Huey Lewis a lot too but I'm not paying $7,000 for a Huey Lewis box set.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My little brother is a big Pet Shop Boys fan, I never really got into them tho. Definitely not $7K into them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I think I have a 12" single with them and Dusty Springfield on the cover in this crate of disco records I bought last month. My only Pet Shop Boys record.

Just picked up the soundtrack album for The King of Comedy. Nice little 80s sampler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3uf5V0pDA

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR_PsNpqe8rjvakSuFFAb52VwxH0X1hXY

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's Bandcamp Friday yet again, gents. I bought some beeps and bloops.

Also I highly recommend All Things Blue's new album "Get Bit." Vinyl Me, Please released their album but if you're not a VMP member the band has some copies on their Bandcamp page.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
For more Bandcamp Friday oddities, if anyone is into what I can best describe as "Shenmue themed dungeon synth", there's a vinyl release out today.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Picked up the Smoking Pipe cover of this one
https://elmichelsaffair.bandcamp.com/album/return-to-the-37th-chamber

Couple Synth Funk 45's
https://fantasy15.bandcamp.com/album/burgundy-mist-percy-st
https://fantasy15.bandcamp.com/album/burgundy-mist-percy-st

Not vinyl but I like to throw some money at my friends bands

Glitchy stuff
https://darkfjord.bandcamp.com/album/this-body

Space rock
https://peteyjcool.bandcamp.com/track/ascent-to-the-astonishing-star

Garage rock
https://weaponizedmosquitoes.bandcamp.com/album/vein-to-destruction

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

I like Huey Lewis a lot too but I'm not paying $7,000 for a Huey Lewis box set.

I guess there’s only a few of them and Mark Farrow and/or Neil and Chris signed them. Fairly collectible I would think as much as an art piece as a music thing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if anyone wants some bandcamp recs

https://bandcamp.com/dorium

everything from Preoccupations to Octo Octa was stuff I got today.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

petit choux posted:

I think I have a 12" single with them and Dusty Springfield on the cover in this crate of disco records I bought last month. My only Pet Shop Boys record.

Just picked up the soundtrack album for The King of Comedy. Nice little 80s sampler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3uf5V0pDA

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR_PsNpqe8rjvakSuFFAb52VwxH0X1hXY

King of Comedy is one of my favorite movies.

And What Have I Done to Deserve This is such a fantastic song, and a great chance for Dusty to make a come back.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was just listening to a Talking Heads podcast earlier today and they were talking about the King of Comedy soundtrack. I forgot just how good it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZuWllLXFNk

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Well poo poo! Looked around and that amp gets rave reviews everywhere. Picked it up, now to roll the dice on customs duty tax! Thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LP120 arrived and sitting next to my MPC now -- looks quite a treat!

Quick question, when I first unpacked everything and connected it together, I was getting a super low output from the right channel. I tried a few things and finally disconnected and reconnected the headshell from the tonearm at which point the problem went away. I'm not sure why a poor headshell connection would cause a WEAK right signal since there was definitely audio coming out just nowhere near at the intensity of the left. Any thoughts?

At any rate, seems 100% fine now so I'm not going to worry about it too much. Have a bunch of vinyl coming in from overseas via discog so now I play the waiting game!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 6, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
https://waxworkrecords.com/products/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-part-ii-the-secret-of-the-ooze
Sold out immediately:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Martytoof posted:

Quick question, when I first unpacked everything and connected it together, I was getting a super low output from the right channel. I tried a few things and finally disconnected and reconnected the headshell from the tonearm at which point the problem went away. I'm not sure why a poor headshell connection would cause a WEAK right signal since there was definitely audio coming out just nowhere near at the intensity of the left. Any thoughts?

no expert but this exact thing happened to me after i moved and my player was jostled a lot in transit. had no idea the headshell could even be an issue until someone in this thread suggested it IIRC; i was convinced it would be a problem with my cables or something but yeah just making sure it was screwed on firmly fixed it

does tmnt 2 have a low key banger soundtrack or is this yet another soundtrack that sells out instantly for no reason other than that people like the movie and no one will ever in a million years actually listen to this record

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

its standout tune is Vanilla Ice what do you think

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I just came into a large 500+ vinyl collection. I'm starting the long process of uploading them to Discogs but is there one or two search term filters I should be using? When I search via barcode or the serial number (?) on the middle sticker, it still gives me like a dozen versions of the album. Or is there a better site I should be using to catalogue and eventually sell them?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WerthersWay posted:

I just came into a large 500+ vinyl collection.

I'm sure each of us is guilty as charged of this.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

My Lovely Horse posted:

its standout tune is Vanilla Ice what do you think

Ninja Rap was real. Believe it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

WerthersWay posted:

I just came into a large 500+ vinyl collection. I'm starting the long process of uploading them to Discogs but is there one or two search term filters I should be using? When I search via barcode or the serial number (?) on the middle sticker, it still gives me like a dozen versions of the album. Or is there a better site I should be using to catalogue and eventually sell them?

I usually just pick a random US pressing if there are a lot of matches. If I ever decide to sell something I will just go back and research the correct version. gently caress reading the runouts for that many records.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

WerthersWay posted:

so if you want to get real into this, if you hold up the records to the light, you'll notice there's usually like a hand-etched-lookin code in the inner runoff groove. for records that have eight million variants on discogs, usually you can look up that code directly (or, like, click through all the variant pages until you see it listed). i did this recently with some olde-rear end records my parents sent me. this isn't a particularly fast process and doing it for 500 records is gonna take some time

in practice, unless you really care about maximizing your resale value and finding out if you have like some weird infamous variant of zeppelin ii or something, you can totally just slam a random variant from the right country and serial code. i usually try to do just enough work to find out if it was like from the initial pressing(s) or a much later repressing (like i've got a copy of the yes album that i thought was the original run but turned out to be from like a 76 pressing and that kinda thing is interesting to know imo)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abraham linksys posted:

does tmnt 2 have a low key banger soundtrack or is this yet another soundtrack that sells out instantly for no reason other than that people like the movie and no one will ever in a million years actually listen to this record

TMNT1 does have a deceptively cool soundtrack that I didnt think about until I was gifted a copy on vinyl. It's a cool soundtrack. TMNT2 I barely remember the soundtrack, but its the same composer so maybe its as cool as the first one. Shame I waffled on it though, should've just pre-ordered.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm sure each of us is guilty as charged of this.

Rude

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

abraham linksys posted:

Childhood nostalgia for 30-something manchildren is a booming market now. It's why the labels just put out soundtracks for any movie or game from a certain era regardless of if it's worth it or not. Ninja Turtles themed anything is basically a printing press for money because the only thing that tops it in the field of poo poo 30-something nerds won't shut the gently caress up about is Ghostbusters.

I'll spare you the entire rant but I'm so loving sick of hearing about the ninja loving turtles. The original comic was just poking fun at Frank Miller which is why the ninjas were turtles. It was basically "lol, grimdark turtles". Imagine if the Crab People from South Park became a major pop cultural force franchise that endured for decades because a bunch of grown rear end men won't stop yelling "MY CHILDHOOD!". That's exactly what The Ninja Turtles are.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 7, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

but tbf, they were also teenage and mutant. so that's cool.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Enos Cabell posted:

I was just listening to a Talking Heads podcast

Go on...

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

U Talkin talking heads 2 my talking head?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Senator Giroux posted:

The George Harrison joke kinda ran flat once they got the real George Harrison on to the podcast.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Heh yeah, felt weird calling it a podcast when it's really The Comprehensive and Encyclopedic Compendium of All Things Talking Heads.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Go back to U Talkin' U2 to Me if you haven't listened to it. Even if you don't like U2.

Especially if you don't like U2.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That’s the numeral you and the letter too

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

caligulamprey posted:

Go back to U Talkin' U2 to Me if you haven't listened to it. Even if you don't like U2.

You’ll learn everything there is to know about the band, like the names of all of the members

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I'm going about things in the stupidest order. First shows I listened to were Farts and Procreation, then Analyze Phish, then the entirety of CBB starting with ep 1 (this took a while), then RU Talkin' REM Re: Me? and finally now on U Talkin’ Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head. U2 is next on the list and then I'll finally be free of the Aukerman curse.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

no expert but this exact thing happened to me after i moved and my player was jostled a lot in transit. had no idea the headshell could even be an issue until someone in this thread suggested it IIRC; i was convinced it would be a problem with my cables or something but yeah just making sure it was screwed on firmly fixed it

Yeah, it's really weird but I'm happy with the result after tightening.

So yeah, the turntable is pretty heckin' awesome.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I've been watching a lot of the classic Price is Right channel on Pluto TV which is made up of Bob Barker episodes from around 1982-83. Lot of nice turntables and stereos given away back then, and then in one show they gave away this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgWwTNzJPI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm going about things in the stupidest order. First shows I listened to were Farts and Procreation, then Analyze Phish, then the entirety of CBB starting with ep 1 (this took a while), then RU Talkin' REM Re: Me? and finally now on U Talkin’ Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head. U2 is next on the list and then I'll finally be free of the Aukerman curse.

To bring this back round to thread relevance, I should listen to my CBB vinyl at some point. It wasn’t cheap enough to just sit there unplayed!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

To bring this back round to thread relevance, I should listen to my CBB vinyl at some point. It wasn’t cheap enough to just sit there unplayed!

Hah yeah, I picked up the CBB Creak, Slam, Sit and it was a weird experience listening to a podcast on vinyl.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Martytoof posted:

LP120 arrived and sitting next to my MPC now -- looks quite a treat!

It's a point in the audio chain. So the connection probably wasn't just right, so there was enough so the signal could travel, but not enough for it to come through fully. It's an analog connection, so if it wasn't seated correctly, that's how you get it. So when you reconnected the headshell, you redid the connection and everything worked out.

I think you're overcomplicating this in your head.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Thank you and thanks everyone, I know what I'm listening to tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe an odd question:

I bought a copy of The Winston's "Amen Brother" that I want to frame because of its historical significance. I bought a custom mat for a 7" 45 but I'm not really sure what the best non-destructive way to hang it inside the frame would be such that it sits centred in the mat. Would something like a 3m command strip do a number on vinyl grooves? Seems preferable to like.. hot snot or something that would basically render the 45 unplayable.

Or maybe a small tack to hold the lip of the giant spindle hole? Even less intrusive but I don't really love how it would be visible.