Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Fifty hours on and off over the last five months and I've finally launched my first rocket. :toot:

Not really sure what to do now. Continue on the same map and improve the factory? Start over with more biters? (I had a huge starting area so didn't really have to deal with them much.) Copy+paste all my own setups as blueprints to make the next game faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Ambaire posted:

When was that added? I thought it was destroyed regardless. Sounds like an awesome feature, personally...

It's been that way for years. It's handy to not waste fluids, but it was real annoying when there was no easy way to drain mixed pipe systems.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Finally finished my first "megabase." >1000 per minute of each science pack on standard rail world settings. IDK what the standard is for megabases but I'm pretty happy with it. Since I'm doing 1000 per minute I prefer to call it a kilobase. Still definitely the hardest I've ever factorio'd.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I wanna thank everyone talking about the Mining Depot in this thread because it's going to massively improve my new games, holy poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Skiant posted:

I wanna thank everyone talking about the Mining Depot in this thread because it's going to massively improve my new games, holy poo poo.

Mining drones definitely take a lot of the tedium out of setting up large mining arrays on ore patches. I wish that they consumed power, and that there was some way to make that power consumption scale up as you put them on larger and larger ore patches so that they had at least somewhat similar power requirements, but eh.. I'll deal with that aspect to remove the repetitious part of setting up mining bases.

It would also be nice if I had some way of knowing other than trial and error, just how many full 'x color' belts a single outpost at any given point can support. Also, not a huge deal as I just overbuild and add more depots!

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I'm at the stage of the game where I'm launching rockets, but I feel like I'm spending most of the time just constantly blazing new paths to ore patches (lots of grenades on trees and laboriously mining stone rocks, killing biter nests), setting up miners, turret walls, and a railway. Once I finish one, I've got to go do another. Are there any tips on making this faster or less tedious? Should I check out this mining depot thing?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Love the game, but one UI thing I feel like I can't figure out - how do you efficiently lay rail?

Like I can't figure it out. It feels like the game is super finicky about connecting two different lines together. I can have one line coming toward another line a little higher or lower, and if I hold shift, hold control, hold whatever, the game basically makes these crazy contraption loops and things that are just ridiculous, and even with that, I still usually can't get the two lines to connect. I've watched the in-game tutorials, which don't really seem to help (that's where I learned about shift and control).

I might not be explaining it well, but it feels like the UI for connecting existing rail lines is really kludgy, and I feel like I'm missing something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It sounds like what's getting you is trying to connect two tracks that are directly parallel, which you can't do.

Those two bottom rails, they're too close together to successfully merge. There needs to be 2 rails worth of space between rails to join them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also the huge loops are probably from the planner, which takes rotation in to account. Try pressing r a few times to first get the endpoint pointing the way you want.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I almost never use the rail planner unless I'm laying out long ghost lines. It's just a pain in the rear end.

What others have mentioned is generally the issue. This is actually why I use a lot of diagonal rail between stations/"useful" runs - it's easy to adjust diagonals by one or two squares to line them up properly. (Partially same reason my stackers are diagonal.) It also helps to build backwards - start from where you want rails to join together and build out from there until you've got the connection done, then build to the connection from wherever it's coming from.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

As far as blazing trails to new ore patches there are a few things. First are you using construction bots? Railways of any real complexity are pretty much a different game entirely if you use bots and blueprints. See the last few pages for more details of rail specific stuff but even a simple blueprint of a straight section with power poles and signals that you can tile will let bots clear the path and then build it for you. Hold shift when placing the blueprint itself and it will mark all the garbage in the way for deconstruction. If you have a personal roboport you can sit in your train and slowly move along as they clear and build in front of you.

As far as clearing bitter bases to make room for all that there are a number of options once you have space science. Artillery will autotarget hives within range that radar scans. Once you have space science an upgrade or two of artillery range and fire rate makes this much more efficient. People often set up firebases along their railways that have some artillery plus a bunch of turrets to protect them. You can setup automated resupply with trains delivering shells, repair packs, and buildings as needed if you want. Again blueprints will make setting up a bunch of firebases a lot easier.

If you want something a little more hands on than that consider nukes.

The other big thing is that the amount of ore in a patch increases as you get further from the starting area. In general you want to make all your mining expansion in a single direction so the richness keeps increasing. You can also lay a really long railway in one direction skipping all the patches along the way until you get far enough that each patch has many millions of ore in it. That way you it will take a lot longer for a mining outpost to run out so you won't need to build new ones as often.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

the tingler posted:

I'm at the stage of the game where I'm launching rockets, but I feel like I'm spending most of the time just constantly blazing new paths to ore patches (lots of grenades on trees and laboriously mining stone rocks, killing biter nests), setting up miners, turret walls, and a railway. Once I finish one, I've got to go do another. Are there any tips on making this faster or less tedious? Should I check out this mining depot thing?

If you're launching rockets then you should have, or be able to acquire, a spidertron. They ignore collision for easy travel. You can either use rocket spam or construction bots to remove trees and rocks. Rocket spam also annihilates biters. And you should have blueprints for everything at this point, make mining outposts in various sizes and just slap it over the patch, click your wall blueprint a few times around it, station blueprint, then connect the rail and you're good to go.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I never use bots to build rails because I am morally opposed to cliff explosives :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rescue Toaster posted:

. The input boxes will not back flow normally, even if you were to try to pump it out.

In my scenario it was a constant, slow trickle of backflow

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

the tingler posted:

If you're launching rockets you should have construction bots. You should not be dealing with trees or rocks by hands, you should let bots do it. Then you should set up a basic tileable miner blueprint, as well as a basic mine train station (storage, loading, train limits). If you do that you should have no trouble setting up an outpost in a minute or two.

Here's what I use:

string: https://pastebin.com/c1ZUSaEQ

And in practice it looks like this (I'm using mods, but everything here is completely doable in vanilla):

https://i.imgur.com/LoOgmYx.mp4
(sorry i don't know how to timg a video)

Then you just hook up your belts and connect the rail line and you're done.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks for that! I totally didn't realize the deconstruction planner could remove rocks, cliffs, and trees, that was my problem - makes stamping down the blueprints much faster.

Also, how could anyone not want to blow up cliffs, they're infinitely worse than biters

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

In my scenario it was a constant, slow trickle of backflow

The easiest fix is to pick up the building and put it back down, right? It's not ideal (especially since I know I would forget to do it) but it would destroy the fluid.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

the tingler posted:

Thanks for that! I totally didn't realize the deconstruction planner could remove rocks, cliffs, and trees, that was my problem - makes stamping down the blueprints much faster.

Also, how could anyone not want to blow up cliffs, they're infinitely worse than biters

Remember that you can customize deconstruction planners (and upgrade planners), so you can make one that will only target trees, rocks, and cliffs, so you can safely drag it over buildings and rails and belts without touching them, and just clear all the crap around them. This is really useful when laying down rails or starting a new outpost.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Taffer posted:

Here's what I use:

string: https://pastebin.com/c1ZUSaEQ

If you're interested in improving the density in exchange for adding one more item type to the mix, you can do a tile of 6 miners feeding a center belt, with a medium power pole offset one tile from the center and an underground belt running under it. Lets you pack things a little tighter for more output per second.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
If you really hate placing it all down there's the Outpost Planner mod. You select an ore patch and it fills out the miners, power and belts into however many outputs you decide. Then you just hook up your station. It's highly configurable (similar to FARL customization) but also includes sensible default setups, including the one posted above.

edit: it only lays ghost items, doesn't actually build the thing. Use bots to actually build the outpost.

There's also P.U.M.P. for oil layouts.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

If you're interested in improving the density in exchange for adding one more item type to the mix, you can do a tile of 6 miners feeding a center belt, with a medium power pole offset one tile from the center and an underground belt running under it. Lets you pack things a little tighter for more output per second.

As you get later in the game, one of the problems I always seem to run into is simply getting the ore out of the ore field faster. Even using a compact setup in vanilla, blue belts simply can't carry the amount of ore that the miners produce (after a decent number of mining upgrades) and half or less of the miners are actually doing work. This effectively caps the output of an ore field to 6-10 belts, depending obviously on how physically large the field is.

At the cost of massive numbers of underground belts, this was my solution to double the output of a single ore field. Yes it would probably be more efficient to simply set up mining drills on more ore fields and train the ore somewhere, but I like doing on-site smelting sometimes, and running large beaconed/moduled smelters eats a lot of ore, really fast.

Luckily none of this is ever really wasted, as the field runs out of ore everything that's not being used simply gets picked up and moved along to the next patch.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
At that point you just bot mine.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
You can get more belts out by running belts from the right half out to the right.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Xaintrailles posted:

You can get more belts out by running belts from the right half out to the right.

Too easy man.. Also that specific spot was on the edge of an ocean when I initially tapped it and I was out of landfill. But yeah, perfectly valid option that is probably far too simple for me to figure out on my own.. haha..

So I just finally got around to building myself a spidertron for the first time in this game. Got it all ready to go, went to put the speed-legs in... and I can't put legs in the spidertron. Is that a vanilla nerf or is that a K2 mod thing? I'm not using that stupid thing if it's slow.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
You can definitely use legs in spiders in vanilla.

I'm a little disappointed at the size of the spider's equipment grid, i had this wonderful idea of a spider for laying concrete, and it just doesn't have the grid space for a reactor, at least 1 legs, batteries AND enough roboports to really make a dent in paving large areas. I guess i'll have to make like 10 of them and send them off together :shrug:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

Too easy man.. Also that specific spot was on the edge of an ocean when I initially tapped it and I was out of landfill. But yeah, perfectly valid option that is probably far too simple for me to figure out on my own.. haha..

So I just finally got around to building myself a spidertron for the first time in this game. Got it all ready to go, went to put the speed-legs in... and I can't put legs in the spidertron. Is that a vanilla nerf or is that a K2 mod thing? I'm not using that stupid thing if it's slow.

It's K2, and it's a mod option that you can change.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Krastorio has "additional electric engine" addons to put in vehicles instead of exoskeletons

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Krastorio 2: launched another rocket! :toot:

At this point I know there's a huge endgame I could tap into, but power crystals talked it out with me and convinced me to try his mega-mod list as I do want to move up in complexity, so now I'm playing....this:

quote:

base
aai-programmable-structures
aai-programmable-vehicles
aai-signal-transmission
aai-signals
aai-vehicles-chaingunner
aai-vehicles-flame-tank
aai-vehicles-flame-tumbler
aai-vehicles-hauler
aai-vehicles-laser-tank
aai-vehicles-miner
aai-vehicles-warden
aai-zones
accumulator-wagon
Actual_Craft_Time
Additional-Turret-updated
Aircraft
alien-biomes
alien-biomes-hr-terrain
angelsaddons-cab
angelsaddons-mobility
angelsaddons-storage
angelsbioprocessing
angelsexploration
angelsindustries
angelspetrochem
angelsrefining
angelssmelting
Armor_pockets
ArmouredBiters
auto-research
Automatic_Train_Painter
beautiful_bridge_railway
BeltUpgrader
big-data-string
Bio_Industries
bobassembly
bobelectronics
bobenemies
bobequipment
bobgreenhouse
bobinserters
boblibrary
boblogistics
bobmining
bobmodules
bobores
bobplates
bobpower
bobrevamp
bobtech
bobvehicleequipment
bobwarfare
botReplacer
Bottleneck
bullet-trails
BurntExtractor
cargo-ships
clock
Clowns-AngelBob-Nuclear
Clowns-Extended-Minerals
Clowns-Nuclear
Clowns-Processing
Clowns-Science
crafting_combinator
DeathNotice
Dectorio
DiscoScience
Enhanced_Map_Colors
even-distribution
EvoGUI
Factorissimo2
factoryplanner
FasterStart
flib
FluidMustFlow
FluidWagonColorMask
FNEI
GhostScanner
Honk
Hovercrafts
Inventory Sensor
lightorio
LoaderRedux
LogisticTrainNetwork
LSlib
LtnManager
LTN_Combinator_Fix
LTN_Content_Reader
ModuleInserter
MultipleUnitTrainControl
nicefill
Nightfall
NPBees2
Nuclear Locomotives
omnilib
omnimatter
power-grid-comb
PowerPlusPowerMeter
pushbutton
qol_research
Quicksearch
radar-signals
railloader
recursive-blueprints
Repair_Turret
reskins-angels
reskins-bobs
reskins-library
resourceMarker
Robot256Lib
rusty-locale
Sandros-fixes
SantasNixieTubeDisplay
SchallPickupTower
Searchlight
Shortcuts-ick
SpaceMod
Squeak Through
stdlib
textplates
VehicleWagon2
vtk-ta-big-bertha-artillery-sounds
whats-missing
WireShortcuts
yi_engines
yi_railway
Yi_Tech_Tree
Yuoki
z_yira_american
z_yira_UP
z_yira_yuokirails

Not mentioned: a homebrew mod to make it all work together without exploding. I have turned off Angel's Ores so that it won't take 40000 years to mine stuff. I'm told this entire mod is more doable than pyanodons, and hell with it, we can finally talk about the same kind of problems in our games (as opposed to making him try to remember how vanilla or Krastorio works!)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Krastorio has "additional electric engine" addons to put in vehicles instead of exoskeletons

According to the description those only assist with acceleration, not with actual speed. They make my nuclear train take off like a dragster, but the top speed is unchanged.

Taffer posted:

It's K2, and it's a mod option that you can change.

Thanks, I'll look for it before I launch the game the next time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

At this point I know there's a huge endgame I could tap into, but power crystals talked it out with me and convinced me to try his mega-mod list as I do want to move up in complexity, so now I'm playing....this:

Not mentioned: a homebrew mod to make it all work together without exploding. I have turned off Angel's Ores so that it won't take 40000 years to mine stuff. I'm told this entire mod is more doable than pyanodons, and hell with it, we can finally talk about the same kind of problems in our games (as opposed to making him try to remember how vanilla or Krastorio works!)

drat... I haven't even heard of half of those mods... that's a hell of a list!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Locator posted:

drat... I haven't even heard of half of those mods... that's a hell of a list!

It is! I freely admit that if I didn't have someone I could poke for how-tos I wouldn't be in something this complex already. I tend to play Factorio by feel - no ratios, no blueprints, no plans, just me and "I need green circuits" and working backwords until I've made copper cables and whatever else it needs. So this is tough but doable, and I'm having fun working backwards to build weirder things!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Since I have been called out, would you like (from my game using that set):
Turning corn into science and turning the waste merchant signs into reputation?
Or nobody-else-has-this Angel processes for Yuoki materials?
Or "ores that don't normally exist in the world", with bonus points for the "Bee Hell" my friend tagged (where he is trying to produce every ore from bees)?

This mod I will probably release to the public at some point in the next few weeks (I am the kind of programmer who is obsessed with making things perfectly organized before anyone sees them) because it does all kinds of fun stuff like control overall ore rarity so you can have ultra-sparse worlds (see third screenshot above) if you want. That's also a world with Bob's, Angel's, and Omnimatter active, and which has Bob's ores and Omnite but not Angel ores, which is normally not possible at all as Angel removes Bob's and Omnimatter removes every ore but its own.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I um.. think I'll stick with K2, I never even really make it to mega-base or end game even at this complexity, and I've got days into this base. I do admire the dedication of people that are willing to both code the crazy mods like that, and play them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Locator posted:

I um.. think I'll stick with K2, I never even really make it to mega-base or end game even at this complexity, and I've got days into this base. I do admire the dedication of people that are willing to both code the crazy mods like that, and play them.

More power to you! I enjoyed K2 a lot but knew it was time to scale up in mods when it felt like making rocket components and stuff was solved/too easy? I want more - and fortunately I think I’m ready for it, and even better I appreciate learning/training via K2.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

According to the description those only assist with acceleration, not with actual speed. They make my nuclear train take off like a dragster, but the top speed is unchanged.

They give top speed and acceleration in every vehicle except for trains. In trains they just add acceleration.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Taffer posted:

They give top speed and acceleration in every vehicle except for trains. In trains they just add acceleration.

Cool, thanks. Too bad the grid is so small in the Spidertron, really limits how many toys I can play with.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

StrixNebulosa posted:

[a huge modlist]

If you're already going Angel-Bob-Clowns combo-pack (which looks to be the base big-changers of that list of mods), you might as well toss in https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PCPRedux as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Me when I first started playing this game:
Alright, I built a second line of 10 coal smelters, I think I'm building to scale now and I even left a little room to expand.

Me a week later:
Alright, I built all 118 smelters to saturate this belt with steel, that was a lot! But I think I'm building to scale now and I even left a little room to expand!

Me another week later:
Wow, two saturated belts. Geeze, that was a lot of work, but that should be more than I'll ever need!

Me this morning, starting a brand new save:
Alright that's... *double checks* 720 steam turbines up and running, that should be enough power to get me started, time to start building out the smelting lines! I need to start thinking about where the next power generation sector will go.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Half-wit posted:

If you're already going Angel-Bob-Clowns combo-pack (which looks to be the base big-changers of that list of mods), you might as well toss in https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PCPRedux as well.

Ahhh, no thank you, that looks like even more difficult complexity for the sake of itself. That's part of why I turned off Angel's Ores!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

the tingler posted:

Aside from the construction bot option, my favourite (and most :black101: option) uses the tank, which will run down trees and rocks without stopping leaving a gap precisely wide enough to admit rail tracks.

Put down your tank so that it's aligned with your track, select track, hold down w and continuously click behind your tank. You'll make a track through anything except cliffs, which you can use bots to get rid of without getting out of your tank. Plus, if you run into biters, you're already in your tank!