Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RabbitWizard posted:

I removed some letters - YUHJNM - and it was very funny in my head at the time of posting.

i hope it gave you many giggles, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just don't get it. I don't understand how someone can look at a breaker panel and not think "I need to be very careful with this." Much less ignore obvious lock-outs. I was taught to respect the gently caress out of electricity, and don't like doing anything with wiring if I can possibly avoid it.

There's a jury rigged breaker panel at my work that's rocking at least three or four different violations. Had to run power to new equipment, so the boss got someone on staff to do it who has decent electrical knowledge but isn't an electrician. Been that way for about a year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

rargphlam posted:

There's a jury rigged breaker panel at my work that's rocking at least three or four different violations. Had to run power to new equipment, so the boss got someone on staff to do it who has decent electrical knowledge but isn't an electrician. Been that way for about a year.

:stonk: forever on that.

Near the start of quarantine my stepfather plugged a space heater into a triple tap, and when I went to change the plug arrangement the plug for the space heater plug gooshed in my hand. It had the consistency of chocolate that has been out in the sun but not quite liquefied. It still squicks me out I was that close to live current, and wonder whether if I wasn't there if it would have been a fire situation.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

this thread hosed me up because i watched this and immediately started thinking "what's the safety on this? is there a deadman switch? is there a force limiter?"

https://i.imgur.com/mvPlYFy.mp4

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
As long as you aren't taffy, you should be okay.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Had a little OSHA ish experience this week. Our building at work is split in half, stockroom in back, maintenance group in front.

In October we replaced a non functioning unit heater in the back, works fine no issues. My office has electric heat, 120 volts on a 20 amp QO breaker. A couple weeks ago the breaker started tripping overnight. We dug around a little bit (this building is pretty cobbled together electrically) and figured out that the refrigerator and water cooler are fed from the same circuit. Well Thursday we decided to correct that.

By the time I figured out exactly what was going on this is the list of items fed from the same 20 amp circuit: electric heater in my office, water cooler, refrigerator, the new unit heater we installed last fall and a microwave. I decided to put my clamp meter on it for a while and see what the max was. The peak current was a grand total of 32.5 amps with the microwave running AND THE BREAKER NEVER TRIPPED. I still cannot figure out why the breaker only trips overnight when no one is there but I guess it’s a good thing it did.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mng posted:

As long as you aren't taffy, you should be okay.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably feeding something else you’re not aware of that only comes on at night. Or the heater(s) run more at night and push it up to 40 or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The amps mostly come at night. Mostly.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Platystemon posted:

The amps mostly come at night. Mostly.

I thought that's when they slept.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Space heater

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Why is red guy wearing a ski mask?
The folks I used with, from the Phillpines, who would wear something like that would typically wear it for UV protection.

For anyone interested, these bags are typically filled with water and used for proof load testing on cranes. Much more efficient than using actual weights.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 7, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah in a lot of cultures where fair skin is seen as a status symbol, you'll get people wearing all sorts of Luchadore-looking poo poo when they're out in the sun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Yeah in a lot of cultures where fair skin is seen as a status symbol, you'll get people wearing all sorts of Luchadore-looking poo poo when they're out in the sun.

If a broad‐brimmed hat and sunblock isn’t doing enough for them, I don’t know what to say. Stop living on the surface of the Sun?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sunblock won't help you maintain that highly desirable "spends 90% of their time in a gooncave" pasty complexion.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Kith posted:

this thread hosed me up because i watched this and immediately started thinking "what's the safety on this? is there a deadman switch? is there a force limiter?"

https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=14244487

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Who's laffy now?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Had a little OSHA ish experience this week. Our building at work is split in half, stockroom in back, maintenance group in front.

In October we replaced a non functioning unit heater in the back, works fine no issues. My office has electric heat, 120 volts on a 20 amp QO breaker. A couple weeks ago the breaker started tripping overnight. We dug around a little bit (this building is pretty cobbled together electrically) and figured out that the refrigerator and water cooler are fed from the same circuit. Well Thursday we decided to correct that.

By the time I figured out exactly what was going on this is the list of items fed from the same 20 amp circuit: electric heater in my office, water cooler, refrigerator, the new unit heater we installed last fall and a microwave. I decided to put my clamp meter on it for a while and see what the max was. The peak current was a grand total of 32.5 amps with the microwave running AND THE BREAKER NEVER TRIPPED. I still cannot figure out why the breaker only trips overnight when no one is there but I guess it’s a good thing it did.

Here's the "trip curve" for a 20 amp Square D QO breaker.

You were at about 1.5x rated current, so it should have tripped off at about 100 seconds, but all it takes is a little bit out of tolerence on the breaker, or one of the appliances cycling off within that 100 second window to keep the breaker from tripping.

My guess would be that after running all day the overcurrent element would heat soak enough to trip, then cool off to be reset in the morning.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

FuturePastNow posted:

Who's laffy now?

His sweet tooth must have ached real bad.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Source4Leko posted:

Are there any kits to add blade guards to old table saws? Mine is like 60 years old and obviously didn't come with one but it utterly kicks rear end in every way, exposed motor, external belt drive and utterly eats anything i push thru it. Also got it for 50 bucks, but my wife is terrified of it even tho she knows how to use them. She's probably right to be scared of it.

If your saw doesn't have a riving knife, you can make a splitter that is almost as safe. You basically build a wooden replacement insert to replace the metal plate that goes around the blade and glue in a piece of wood the width of your blade to keep stuff from grabbing the back of the blade. You can see one in this video that explains all the common causes of kickback and how to avoid them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8VWwtaudU&t=192s

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sawstops are quite popular these days. Obviously the safety features are paramount, but they're actually great quality and incredibly well built power tools as well.

The only real downside I've heard about them is if you cut damp wood, that can set off the safety brake unintentionally.

Same guy as above talking about how you can run dripping wet wood through a Sawstop without it triggering (watch before the timestamp for bonus content of a guy putting a hotdog in a rubber glove and ramming it into a running saw at ludicrous speed to show that it still won't cut your finger off):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV6Jhw0hhBI&t=188s

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

It could be what that other guy said.

But I think it's bitcoin mining.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Leper Go-getter posted:

We know tablesaws, lathes and most rotating machinery craves the taste blood, but I want to give a quick nod to the unassuming hydraulic powered equipment mount.
Anyone know the official term for this thing on front end loaders?

Quick Coupler Locking Pins. I've rebuilt the cylinders a couple times even though Deere will tell you its a throw away.

Also I have never seen anyone use it for an attachment point when there's usually a big hole in the bucket plate thing you can stick a chain or strap through. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I am so amazed no one managed to injure themselves in that class considering how little some people cared about paying attention or safety when they're 11 years old lol.

I am an old goon, and I had wood shop in 8th grade in 1979 in Tennessee. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. However, our teacher was really, really focused on us being safe. I could easily have ended up with less than all of my fingers after that class, but our teacher really made safety a priority. I didn't really appreciate that then; but I sure do now.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Sy_MHJstk&t=98s

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

His Divine Shadow posted:

The reason is simple! RIVING KNIFE! Like I can't emphasize enough how effective it is and I've never needed to remove it except 2-3 times in 6 years, when I did a plunging cut from below which isn't normal or super safe.

It can happen with a riving knife, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulvP8Vv9SrE

Pretty rare situation here, but they're still terrifying machines. Got rid of mine (and all my power tools except the drill press) about 2 years ago and I'm perfectly happy sawing things by hand now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kith posted:

just keep your pud away from the puller and you'll be ok.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Elder Postsman posted:

It can happen with a riving knife, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulvP8Vv9SrE

Pretty rare situation here, but they're still terrifying machines. Got rid of mine (and all my power tools except the drill press) about 2 years ago and I'm perfectly happy sawing things by hand now.

Yeah but I'd say a riving knife prevents over 99% of kickback situations, and with my saw that situation is not possible because it's a right tilting saw (which you want when you got a sliding table)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Kith posted:

It’s like watching a lava lamp

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Nkqfrmz.mp4

Queue up some Celine Dion...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I'm surprised that broke the back of it!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's a Chevy truck; that's what they do.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

he doesn't seem very good at this

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

From several pages ago but someone clearly saw Red Green and thought "Hmm, what about three cars?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61f6bAuytw

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bertolt rekt posted:

he doesn't seem very good at this

he is actually, getting cold taffy on a puller is a real loving pain in the rear end and it's impressive it only took him that long

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sailing Dying

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qmofqloMZF1uk10e9.mp4

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Lost his shoes, that final roll over at the end was a death spasm.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Comedy option: Night cleaning crew also plugs in vacuums to that circuit, adding another kW or so in load.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
A 24 year old woman went overboard on a Danish container ship near where I live.

Wind is at 6-8 beaufort with gusts at 10 and -8°C. Water is at around 2°C.

I don't know why but that affects me more than the car deaths. It's a terrible way to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah pretty awful. At least you wouldn't be conscious very long.