Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://clips.twitch.tv/BenevolentCuteTildeKeepo

https://clips.twitch.tv/SneakyCaringSmoothieAliens
Neat. I like that the patrol ship is dual faction. They should do that with more vehicle releases.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Aw does that mean we're not geting a proper gunship for the Republic :smith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I 3d printed one and the scale would be colossal for that one.

Like it would be a $250 expansion if they priced it like other vehicles.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah unless the game scales up big time an actual LAAT would be much too big. AT-ST is about the maximum they could probably get away with

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
The dorks wanting an AT-AT for Legion have no earthly idea how bad of an idea that is.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've thought about making a wrecked AT-AT for terrain. But yeah, terrible idea for a usable unit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Feeple posted:

The dorks wanting an AT-AT for Legion have no earthly idea how bad of an idea that is.

Itd basically have to be like the super star destroyer in Armada. A new game mode where its your only model.

But i also think there'd be no good way to portray it in legion that fits the movies. RotJ it stands to reason a fleet could take a super stat destroyer down, one unfortunate starfighter did, but in ESB they specifically stress how blasters don't work and it had to be taken down with guile.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 4, 2021

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I am gonna do the sickest, weedest and awful airbrush style painting on that stupid rebel wagon with a giant wizard ben kenobi blowing smoke and howling wookies

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 4, 2021

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

I am gonna do the sickest, weedest and awful airbrush style painting on that stupid rebel wagon with a giant wizard ben kenobi blowing smoke and howling wookies

If you don't already have one I like my little handheld airbrush with built in compressor that only rand me 50 bucks.

With the interior being modeled you could put down static grass and paint it orange for shag carpet.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 4, 2021

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'm wondering if two clone wars starter sets plus a LAT equals a Republic army. Can't be that far off can it? Transport plus gunship must be fairly points heavy.

Ideally I want the LAT to drop a squad of clones plus a Jedi into the fight. Do we think that is likely?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Ugleb posted:

I'm wondering if two clone wars starter sets plus a LAT equals a Republic army. Can't be that far off can it? Transport plus gunship must be fairly points heavy.

Ideally I want the LAT to drop a squad of clones plus a Jedi into the fight. Do we think that is likely?

Depends on capacity.

Based on how previous transports work, it counts the number of "Units" it can handle at once, so Obi-Wan and a full unit of clones take up the same space. That sounds goofy, but that's how the Transport: X works. If the LAAT has Transport: 2, you could totally do it. Otherwise, Obi might need a ride of his own.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Im going to guess the LAAT might be like a landspeeder, I.E. it lets you move a character and not a unit.

Otherwise its going to 100% obsolete the sluggish, land bound transport tank for Empire.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 7, 2021

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Not if it's a closed transport. Eweb in the Occupier is pretty dope.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

hoiyes posted:

Not if it's a closed transport. Eweb in the Occupier is pretty dope.
Have to admit I feel pretty stupid for not thinking of that

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Saw this and concluded they are aiming it at Legion players.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Feeple posted:

This is why I wanted legion to be 10mm instead of 30mm, in addition to the fact that we already had IA in that scale.

fatherboxx posted:

:eyepop:
I've been meaning to do the same with the snowspeeder but I don't have space for my airbrush setup rn.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

This is why I wanted legion to be 10mm instead of 30mm, in addition to the fact that we already had IA in that scale.

Yeah, had they just made "Flames of War but Star Wars," I'd have gotten 3 AT-ATs day one.

I'm pretty happy with what we have, though. :) The only bummer about AMG's stream last week was the lack of CIS spoilers (since GAR technically got something.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

90% of Legion stuff has a 3d printed option. Just scale everything down in the slicer, including the measuring tools. :v:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

90% of Legion stuff has a 3d printed option. Just scale everything down in the slicer, including the measuring tools. :v:

:D

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey ive recently started miniature painting and was considering collecting some Legion stuff. My big problem there is idk if I want to pick up that much terrain; and from what I've seen it's pretty important to the game. Can you make do with flat area terrain (including pretending it blocks LOS) or does it just not work?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

StashAugustine posted:

Hey ive recently started miniature painting and was considering collecting some Legion stuff. My big problem there is idk if I want to pick up that much terrain; and from what I've seen it's pretty important to the game. Can you make do with flat area terrain (including pretending it blocks LOS) or does it just not work?

Legion terrain is pretty simple. You have true LOS so something that actually obscures, then you can designate things Heavy or Light cover. There is also difficult terrain, which affects movement. The legion kit comes with little barriers, you could use those for light cover, and whatever you like to create some obscuring, homemade rocks/hills/buildings, etc. Hell use books and poo poo if you like. If it is fully open field though stuff will die super quick and it'll make hard hitting ranged units like Imperial gunline builds stronger than melee. Jedi need a way to close into melee somehow.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Flat terrain would work without too much issue. At the start you clarify what is designated as light, heavy or LOS blocking. Similarly you'd need to state how high a given piece of terrain is since a fairly meaningful element is elevation for the sake of units with mobility keywords like jump and scale, units you basically want to perch up high with long range ability like snipers, or for repulsor vehicles that can traverse terrain up to a certain height.

Otherwise you can do the typical budget wargaming thing and throw a few small cardboard boxes and cans on the table alongside a handful of the starter set standard barricades and call it good to go. A tangential suggestion would be something like those Infinity scenery kits that are a bunch of collapsible boxes that aren't too pricey and take up almost no storage space.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I have a friend who bought some cheap water guns from the dollar store and broke them in various ways. He painted them up in rusty colors and based them. Instant scrapyard terrain.

Buying some plastic aquarium plants or little plastic succulents can also go a long way for instants vegetation terrain.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nash posted:

I have a friend who bought some cheap water guns from the dollar store and broke them in various ways. He painted them up in rusty colors and based them. Instant scrapyard terrain.

Buying some plastic aquarium plants or little plastic succulents can also go a long way for instants vegetation terrain.

Cardboard terrain, glue, craft paint, and time can make a lot of poo poo. Throw in some odds and ends, old wires, maybe some mesh screen. I watched this guy, what he produced with very basic cheap stuff was fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WEzB6cA6E

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just got a core set and painted up my first batch of Rebels!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Those look good, but you should definitely invest in some matte varnish. A flatter finish would make them look even better.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Signal posted:

Those look good, but you should definitely invest in some matte varnish. A flatter finish would make them look even better.

Cool thanks, just got that advice from someone else too lol. Anything in particular about what to get or how to apply it?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Cool thanks, just got that advice from someone else too lol. Anything in particular about what to get or how to apply it?

I use Liquitex through an airbrush, but a lot of people swear by Testors Dullcote.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I just brush on Vallejo matt varnish. I'd heard Testors dulcoat has been discontinued, it's got great protection but pretty expensive for gaming minis.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm travelling and can't post the link but they spoiled a pilot upgrade called something like "reckless driver" that rolls to try and kill all the dudes the conversion van displaces.

Also a Yoda with saber and old man cane varients in the pipe.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

hoiyes posted:

I just brush on Vallejo matt varnish. I'd heard Testors dulcoat has been discontinued, it's got great protection but pretty expensive for gaming minis.

Seconded. I use the polyurethane version, it dries more clearly I find. There is a better way of phrasing that but my brain has given up on words.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Got my first Legion army completed painting :toot:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Cross post from the oath thread, first part of my Separatists army is done.

I'm trying to strike an effort/time balance on the B1's, think the next three squads might go quicker and better.

Quite happy with Dooku though, painting a tiny Christopher Lee was fun!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Just a heads up, Fifth Trooper is putting together a monthly Legion box. It's a two player narrative campaign with some new stuff every month. I'll likley be ordering to play with a friend, since it's something different from tournament rules and will motivate both of us to get stuff painted and get some terrain made.

https://stormtide.thefifthtrooper.com/

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Funzo posted:

Just a heads up, Fifth Trooper is putting together a monthly Legion box. It's a two player narrative campaign with some new stuff every month. I'll likley be ordering to play with a friend, since it's something different from tournament rules and will motivate both of us to get stuff painted and get some terrain made.

https://stormtide.thefifthtrooper.com/

That sounds great

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Man seems.a lot of the perepheral folks are getting real close to angering the Mouse Empire between stuff like this and the STLS. Looks awesome tho.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Man seems.a lot of the perepheral folks are getting real close to angering the Mouse Empire between stuff like this and the STLS. Looks awesome tho.

They've been very careful to avoid any kind of term associated with star wars and use all their own assets. Because it's a paid product they are more careful, but something like heroes of the Arturi Cluster never got taken down as far as I know, and that straight up uses Star Wars IP.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
What core troops do most people fill out their Rebel lists with? I have two basic rebels from the starter but didn’t know if people did a mix of veterans and fleet mixed in or one choice is considered a lot better than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Nash posted:

What core troops do most people fill out their Rebel lists with? I have two basic rebels from the starter but didn’t know if people did a mix of veterans and fleet mixed in or one choice is considered a lot better than others.

Fleets aren't bad but you don't see them as much in full size games compared to skirmish where it's significantly easier to get up close. Rebels see a decent mixture of veterans and regular old troopers along with a mixture of heavy weapons and attachment choices since they're all fairly valid. Due to baseline black dice on offense and no major way of improving white defense you're perfectly good to run either completely naked, and that's probably actually more common than not. Since rebels revolve a little more around their heroes and special units to do the heavy lifting they tend to keep the corps choices basic and flexible. The short answer is genuinely use whatever you like that also makes your points fit together well.