Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Not really a game example but why does every streamer love having obnoxious notifications hogging the screen all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So that a) they notice it and b) the audience sees it, because people will more likely donate if it means getting their name on the screen for everyone to see.

I imagine this is the case, anyway.

So I've been playing Stranded Deep, a fairly janky survival sim game about surviving in an archipelago of small islands. Collect fruit, find water, the usual. Problem is, the end game is taking down three 'bosses' or the area, a Megalodon, a giant eel, and a giant squid.

First off, I have a fear of the ocean so I have no idea why I do this to myself. I checked out the squid out of curiosity and bad to quit immediately.

The real problem is that there's no real strategy to preparing for these fights. It's not like I have a lot of weaponry to choose from, buffs to consider, or even equipment beyond what spears I'm going to throw at them. Feel a a little flat.

Seriously though why did I think I'd be able to make it through this game without curling into a ball on the couch.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Atelier Ryza 2 was made with for Switch. Consequently, the PC version not only has a fair degree of billboarding (2D sprites that always face the user), but the usual atelier BGM pack isn’t included and I can’t put “Dream Weaving House” as the atelier music.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

So that a) they notice it and b) the audience sees it, because people will more likely donate if it means getting their name on the screen for everyone to see.

I imagine this is the case, anyway.

You’ll notice the notifications tend to be smaller the more popular the streamer is. I imagine there is a breakpoint between wanting to shower watchers in attention and where you make enough money to acknowledge them every now and then.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mierenneuker posted:

You’ll notice the notifications tend to be smaller the more popular the streamer is. I imagine there is a breakpoint between wanting to shower watchers in attention and where you make enough money to acknowledge them every now and then.

But then there's some that keep the big notifications because they think it's funny and appropriate for their stream to occasionally break into a snippet of Night Of Fire.

Which it is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Not really a game example but why does every streamer love having obnoxious notifications hogging the screen all the time.

Just like television, it seems that a good 40% of people who watch streamers are actually just having it go in the background. I imagine them being so loud is a way to snap their fingers in their face to make them pay attention.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Maybe I'm old (30) and just don't get it I guess.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I hate that people in Cyberpunk 2077 walk around calling each other "Choom". I know the tabletop versions of both that and Shadowrun originated around the same time so they were probably either stealing from each other or some shared source material, but Shadowrun's "Chummer" sounds so much better as future slang. It's more phonetically pleasing and easier to say in a variety of tones.

"Choom" always sounds like a slur. One of you netrunners just call me Bud, how about that?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Been playing Nioh 2 now its dropped on PC and holy poo poo this game is visually utterly incomprehensible. I'm trying out the fist weapons, which mean I'm getting really close up and personal with the baddies, and so whenever either of us move the camera is whirling around constantly. And against the small little goblin-Yokai I'm almost entirely blocking them from view, and every time I punch them a million glowing orbs pop out and float around the screen. I have no idea what the hell is happening half the time.

Still not quite as bad as bosses grab attacks being signalled by a fuzzy grey outline, against a grey background.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Streamers put all those obnoxious alerts on their streams because they want to bring attention to donations and subscriptions and whatnot to encourage people to do them. It was figured out ages ago that it drives those metrics so everyone started doing it. I'm sure it's partially a streamer culture thing now though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It makes popular streams look like a round of DDR but fans and donors want to be noticed and acknowledged by the streamer so if it was just a quiet or invisible notification then the streamer wouldn't know to go ayyyyy UrethraFranklin101 thanks sooooo much!!!!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I donate $1000 maybe senpai will notice me!

And then she'll slide into my DMs and we can get to know each other

And then we can get dinner!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Been playing Nioh 2 now its dropped on PC and holy poo poo this game is visually utterly incomprehensible. I'm trying out the fist weapons, which mean I'm getting really close up and personal with the baddies, and so whenever either of us move the camera is whirling around constantly. And against the small little goblin-Yokai I'm almost entirely blocking them from view, and every time I punch them a million glowing orbs pop out and float around the screen. I have no idea what the hell is happening half the time.

Still not quite as bad as bosses grab attacks being signalled by a fuzzy grey outline, against a grey background.

It's especially annoying when the game puts you into one of those demon areas where everything gets desaturated to the point of being very nearly monochrome. Sure, the counter-able red glowy attacks stand out more, but the regular grabbing ones become near invisible.

Speaking of Nioh 2: The tutorials are really weirdly paced, generally coming late or in weird order. At this point I've done three missions, each with its own boss and several new enemies and stuff, and only now I've unlocked a tutorial that's supposed to tell me how to spend skill points and use active skills, after I've already gotten about a dozen skillpoints and unlocked several active skills. Similarly, it's given me several situational mini-tutorials on how to deplete and manage the ki of enemy demons, but I don't know what demon ki actually does. All I know is it doesn't work like it does for human enemies, but that's it. None of the playable nor text-based tutorials actually told me what exactly the deal with demon's ki is. And considering that all the bosses so far were demons, it would've been really nice to know what I'm actually doing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

If I donate $1000 maybe senpai will notice me!

And then she'll slide into my DMs and we can get to know each other

And then I can bring her a printer!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lunar Suite posted:

billboarding (2D sprites that always face the user)

That's funny, that technique has stuck out to me since the SNES days and I don't think I've ever heard a term for it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Lobok posted:

It makes popular streams look like a round of DDR but fans and donors want to be noticed and acknowledged by the streamer so if it was just a quiet or invisible notification then the streamer wouldn't know to go ayyyyy UrethraFranklin101 thanks sooooo much!!!!!

Streaming is so weird. I enjoy watching some of the smaller folks who play games I like because they seem like genuinely friendly people, but I never understood the allure of throwing a $5 on top of the giant pile for these giant streamers only to have them toss a token ayyyyy.

My current peeve (related to my forever peeve, people) is these weirdos who insist on calling people they think are bad at the game or who killed them "kids". It's always some giant toxic dickhole who's constantly going "these loving kids man". Dude you are a thirty year old attempting to play call of duty for a living. You have no high ground here

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Streaming is so weird. I enjoy watching some of the smaller folks who play games I like because they seem like genuinely friendly people, but I never understood the allure of throwing a $5 on top of the giant pile for these giant streamers only to have them toss a token ayyyyy.

Same, I don't know how anyone can stand watching chats where it's just like a hundred conversations scrolling by at once. I like twitch, but mostly when it's folks I already hang out with in discord and it's more like 10 or 15 folks in chat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been wasting evil dogs since Resident Evil 1 and I have no regrets

Did that goon who lusts for monkey death ever play Sekiro? Seems right up his alley.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Did that goon who lusts for monkey death ever play Sekiro? Seems right up his alley.

I found Sekiro for half price the other day and coincidentally have also argued for a war on monkeys, I'm on board.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm up to the Hasebe fight in Yakuza 3.

Yuya and Kazuki: What the making GBS threads gently caress is the point of you two? A dude with a sword is slicing me up and you have *lots of sidestepping* to offer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to replay the original .hack games but that means digging the ps2 out and dealing with wired controllers

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that annoys me in Immortals: Fenyx Rising is how there's no way to know if a chest has something I might want (an actual piece of equipment) versus something that I couldn't care less about (a skin.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another one for Fenyx Rising, it feels like BS that some major enemy encounters have fairly tight areas that you have to stay in or the encounter resets, but the enemies themselves are not bound to this. Like, how am I supposed to kill the legendary giant chicken when it can just run out where I can't follow it, game :argh:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

That's funny, that technique has stuck out to me since the SNES days and I don't think I've ever heard a term for it.

Automobilista 2 does this in VR with the trackside trees and it's so distracting I stopped playing it, it's fuckin weird as hell and constantly distracts me

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Something that annoys me in Immortals: Fenyx Rising is how there's no way to know if a chest has something I might want (an actual piece of equipment) versus something that I couldn't care less about (a skin.)

There is no difference. All the chests contain a piece of equipment but if you already have it you get a skin for it instead.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Since you guys have kindly explained Twitch notifications (I don't get the appeal myself but whatever), can you explain why some some streamers do "raid countermeasures", which is typically a really long silly video that breaks up the actual gameplay? I get raids, it's a way of giving a stream more viewers but what are countermeasures all about?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Since you guys have kindly explained Twitch notifications (I don't get the appeal myself but whatever), can you explain why some some streamers do "raid countermeasures", which is typically a really long silly video that breaks up the actual gameplay? I get raids, it's a way of giving a stream more viewers but what are countermeasures all about?

playing along with wacky events makes people who participate in wacky events happy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

disregard that, I find raid countermeasures indefensible because they unfairly discriminate against the best game of all time, Raid: Shadow Legends, which is the most dynamic and engaging thing I've played in the years, and is now free from the app store

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The best twitch stream is the 70 year old canadian who moved to Japan to make woodblock prints full time, and just carves blocks and makes prints while answering questions about the process, with all the passion and intensity of a nature documentary.

The second best twitch stream is speedrunners who don't have a facecam or stream-related overlay (game related overlays are fine) and probably 30 viewers max.

Once you hit the point where the streamer is trying to Engage Viewers and Create Content it's probably bad. If you want a big stream on for background noise you may as well just search youtube for "epic funny meme compilation"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jerma is the best streamer

seriously watch his Carnival Stream dude does not gently caress around

here is it cut down a lilbit for the YouTube channel
https://youtu.be/OoVXE8Q0BEk

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The penultimate boss fight in Fur Fighters against Roofus and Chang's wives is complete bullshit because Mai's lasers are so hard to dodge and do way too much damage for how accurate they are.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I had to ask my partner (they work in the game industry). A particularly egregious example would be the rain in the FO:NV DLC old world blues.
Ryza 2’s mechanics and characters are still great but it feels a bit cheap to get Switch quality effects, and most syntheses being reruns from Ryza 1, in a full price PC game. Feels more like a big DLC.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The last boss In A Plague Tale: Innocence is incredible bullshit. You get killed in one hit, you get killed if you make one wrong step and there's only a tiny window where you can inflict some damage. Which is a shame because the actual battle is metal as hell.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
On my continuing mission to play every single big release game I missed when working outside was a thing.....

Mass Effect 3!

This is the one everyone disliked right? I'm 10 hours in so far and it might be my favourite. The guns feel better, I like the way characters I enjoyed in 1 and 2 remember everything I did and the plot feels bigger and more epic. It also looks really really good which suprised me, given its only Unreal Engine 3 its actually really pretty and the animations are a lot better.

That being said, a couple of things are worse. Somehow they made the annoying planet-scanning mechanic from ME2 even more tedious, which is kind of hilarious, but whats even funnier to me is seeing the various iterations of the upgrade/weapons interface and how all of them make really basic mistakes in terms of readability/user-friendlyness(?). It's bizarre playing these games all together in sequence and seeing how much improvement was made to the game world, the dialogue writing, the shooting mechanics etc, only to get to the interface team who I assume must have been running around the offices bumping into walls and shouting things like "you need to click tiny arrows with the mouse" "what if we showed everyones backs?" "you can buy bonuses in the med bay but only one at a time and it wipes out the other wasting your money I dont know how to make that clear help".

Really enjoying the games but man, it's utterly bizarre that they could never get the menus down pat. Dragonage Inquisition also had excellent production values and a really clunky inventory/menu system if I remember correctly. It's an odd thing that so many other AAA studios can't design a compelling game world but can make a clear and logical interface that a 5 year old could use intuitively, whereas Bioware gives you an awesome world to explore but couldn't design a coffee machine menu.

While I'm here, why is this one so much worse than ME2 in most peoples eyes? Are the endings really that bad? Am I about to hit a mid/end game slog? It kind of worries me knowing the games reputation as the weaker entry, I feel like I'm about to fall into a trap.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RGX posted:

On my continuing mission to play every single big release game I missed when working outside was a thing.....

Mass Effect 3!

This is the one everyone disliked right? I'm 10 hours in so far and it might be my favourite. The guns feel better, I like the way characters I enjoyed in 1 and 2 remember everything I did and the plot feels bigger and more epic. It also looks really really good which suprised me, given its only Unreal Engine 3 its actually really pretty and the animations are a lot better.

While I'm here, why is this one so much worse than ME2 in most peoples eyes? Are the endings really that bad? Am I about to hit a mid/end game slog? It kind of worries me knowing the games reputation as the weaker entry, I feel like I'm about to fall into a trap.

It's really pretty much only the endings. ME3 is 90% of a really really good game, with the last 10% being seriously bad (at least at release, might be the extra ending they patched in helped things). Especially since it was very highly awaited and hyped up as the end to the entire trilogy, that kind of tainted the whole game for many people.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

might be the extra ending they patched in helped things

It did not.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RGX posted:

While I'm here, why is this one so much worse than ME2 in most peoples eyes? Are the endings really that bad?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Mass Effect as a trilogy suffered badly from not having its ending set in stone from game one, and then different writers deciding to take it in different directions in each subsequent game. And then the ending of the third game is a terrible pick which colour Joker's hat will end up which of the three ending cinematics you want to see affair and (boss spoilers) it turns out that the super-powerful Reapers can be defeated by a single infantryman who knows to jump to the left every so often so their planet-killing weapon doesn't hit him.

It's part of why the remasters feel like a bit of a waste of time. They should really be doing a full job of work and remaking all three games so that their plots make sense together and the big decisions you make in games 1 and 2 actually have proper follow-through consequences for games 2 and 3. Instead they're including the DLC, removing some camera angles that are 70% Miranda's butt, and sharpening up the graphics. Big missed opportunity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
ME3 also had a problem where through the game people keep bringing up a mass relay you blew up in the DLC of 2 taking out the entire solar system it was in. when the ending then had mass relays blowing up everywhere me and a lot of people thought oh, every solar system in the game just exploded even though BioWare didn’t intend that. They were just incompetent at writing.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Alhazred posted:

The last boss In A Plague Tale: Innocence is incredible bullshit. You get killed in one hit, you get killed if you make one wrong step and there's only a tiny window where you can inflict some damage. Which is a shame because the actual battle is metal as hell.

I'm with you on that. It doesn't help that the danger is right at the characters feet, out of view. Through trail and error, I was figuring out where I wanted to be to draw the rat attacks, but then at some point I'd inevitably step backwards one step too far and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I figured out what the game wanted me to do for the final boss in A Plague Tale so it wasn't nearly as hard for me as pushing that drat cart past the archers. Must have died at least 15 times on that section on a not-particularly difficult game.