Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The thread has had many a derail on the matter of the word oval office. In the end the thread decided that the tories are cunts and will always be cunts and should be called out for being cunts.

You should probably stop using it within earshot of your girlfriend though if it upsets her. You don't need to use it.
Calling the Cunts 'tories' is harmful to the many Irish highwaymen that didn't nonce kids.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Let's just normalise calling people "baddiels" kinda like "bad egg"
Bad eels.

Also I think, like pretty much everything that gets decried as 'woke' by the bad eels, you can talk about things being problematic without them being the worst thing ever.

Singing about a pineapple on head? Possibly harmless lad banter in a vacuum, but since lads quickly die in a vacuum black hair has its history of social exclusion there's a problematic element there that can be discussed within existing racism. Hell, if we all work hard to tackle social racist structures we might get to the stage where we can mock African hair without it being problematic.

Mentioning US police being trained in Krav Maga by Mossad as a one liner completely outside of any broader (and more concerning) sentiment about 'warrior cop' training is also problematic, it's a bit close to Julius Malema's 'Jews training snipers' bit. It doesn't mean that the article itself is irredeemable or that anyone that retweets it is an incorrigible antisemite, just that it also needs to be understood in the context of a society that also has, say, the JC publishing literal 1950s segregationist talking points that will be gleefully passed around by neo-Nazis, and what kind of wider social comment we get about that.

Which is why we will never get a sensible debate on it ever.

In summary:

Maugrim posted:

"Are we the baddiels?"
:pusheen:

e: It was reported that both the time from the raising of the alarm bell to the collision with the iceberg on the Titanic and the time from the sighting of the envelope ignition to the bow hitting the ground on the Hindenburg were 37 seconds.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1358362146376138754

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Cheers for the feedback - I don't say oval office around her of course, this all came up because I was reiterating something else somebody said about Captain Tom and said 'c-word' instead of oval office, then we got onto using words like that which quickly translate into their actual meaning so why not just use the original word and so on. I was wondering if there'd be an easy answer, but maybe not - I'll think on it.

I first came about the word when I was very young and my dad would like to retell the Derek and Clive 'this bloke came up to me' skit, and I remember shouting it at some other lad in the playground but none of my friends had heard it before. It's me, I'm the child swearer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

zhar posted:

Are you talking about archive.org wayback machine? If so unless there is some other page this one still has >100 snapshots from june 2020. Their homepage wasn't saved in that time which seems odd but was there anything offensive on that page as well? I'm hoping you just made a mistake as I don't think the internet archive would do like that.

You're quite right. I'll correct my original post when my computer boots up and check where I was looking last night

Ed: ok I'm on my computer now so I can see what's what. As far as I remember the law enforcement page was the home page of the site. Certainly the big image came up when one typed the web address in. That will explain why it didn't show up results when I looked last night as I didn't put the 'law enforcement' bit in.

OwlFancier posted:

That'll definitely help the tinfoil hattery. Though i suppose that's also the benefit, point out actual conspiracies and they accuse you of believing the fake ones.

Turns out I was wearing a tinfoil hat after all! I had forgotten you have to type in the full path including the law enforcement bit for that site's save.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 7, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cool to be unashamed of shameful things

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2022: Labour will let you wear blackface and say the n word again but only in jokes.\
2023: Labour will be the party of making it sexist to call Michael Gove a oval office.
2024: Labour will be unashamed of our recent loss.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
god drat i can't wait to vote against keir in the next leadership election

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

like who the gently caress is he appealing to with this lol

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

like who the gently caress is he appealing to with this lol

Presumably a focus group ironically suggested it would go down well in the Red Wall seats.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The next Labour leadership election will be between David Bad Eel and a third, worse Milliband

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Christ on a bike, is this why he thinks people don't like him, he's not "pro-business" enough?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

I saw that and went FFS. What a useless piece of poo poo.

I hardly ever use oval office, except when really provoked. Growing up it was a uniquely bad word, and it’s definitely gendered.

(FWIW I think RLB’s sacking on the basis of a weakly AS quote was bullshit too, and clearly Starmer taking an opportunity to fire her).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Do you have to be registered with a medical practice to get the corona vaccine? I ask 'cause I honestly can't remember where I'm registered (last place I was sure about was about 15 years ago) and my local medical practice is pretty terrible about getting in touch for registration matters - it's basically just, "Call us during business hours" which is the least convenient way I could imagine to sort something like this out.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Gort posted:

Do you have to be registered with a medical practice to get the corona vaccine? I ask 'cause I honestly can't remember where I'm registered (last place I was sure about was about 15 years ago) and my local medical practice is pretty terrible about getting in touch for registration matters - it's basically just, "Call us during business hours" which is the least convenient way I could imagine to sort something like this out.

Mine was sorted out through work but then I work in a healthcare setting, and it's currently making my Sunday hell.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The Starmer Relaunches

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Unless you're NHS you will be getting your vaccine via your GP (at this stage anyway). Most GPs should have a form on their website you can fill in to register with the practice. Just post it in.

If you've not made contact with your previous GP for 15 years you're almost certainly off their books. GPs won't chase you to register.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Starmerinde has returned to dry dock, but we're sure a relaunch is imminent.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Angepain posted:

The Starmer Relaunches

the fightback begins!1!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
To defeat the enemy, you may become the enemy.

Now that Step 1 has been successfully completed, victory is assured

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
STOAP HITTIN THAWT RESET BUTTAN YER GOIN TAE BREEK UT :mad:

it really seems like Baddiel and Linehan are on crusades because they couldn't admit to being wrong over one thing imo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Labour & business chat:

Depends what is meant by 'business'. I'm off to the wall (I don't smoke, can I have chocolates instead?) but dropping by to say:

I was saying to my CLP over the past few years we needed to be more business friendly. Small businesses provide 60% of the employment in the UK (source: https://www.fsb.org.uk/uk-small-business-statistics.html) and in my area there are very few national employers. The business rates increase in 2017 caused serious damage when rateable values of small shops went from under 6k (so full business rates relief applicable) to over 15k when no business rates relief was available. Example: a burger restaurant in town rent + rates = £60k p.a. so they had to make at least that on top of paying staff, buying ingredients, electricity etc. They went bust. This was pre-covid.

Now, quite a lot of the shops that have been closed for a year (some lost considerable business last February because of flooding, had barely got themselves going again before covid hit). A private local pool/gym was flooded out last february, spent a fortune cleaning up and reopened a week before the lockdowns started and managed to open for just a few weeks in the summer on much shorter opening hours before the lockdowns began again. I don't know if they will ever be able to reopen which considerably reduces the exercising possibilities of anyone without a car (as well as the various gym instructors, pool lifeguards, the little cafe etc all out of work.)

There are also the whole raft of self-employed who can't get any financial help and have had zero income for a year now, eg all those young women who do beauty and hair for weddings. One of my young relatives does wedding makeup. She's had everything cancelled for a year. One couple rescheduled their wedding twice and have now rescheduled for 2022 on a weekend she can't do and want their money back - she doesn't have the money, she's had no income, not eligible for UC because wasn't in business long enough to put in accounts or anything. She's not the only one, the hair stylist is in the same position too. (Both are single parents and both had the DWP crawling all over their bank accounts because they had advertised their services in a private local facebook group - my relative had earned the princely sum of £10 in that year, this is why she was off UC.)

If these are the businesses labour should focus on, I'm all for it. But helping the big firms who rake in the profits and use creative accounting to get wages supported via working tax credits and so on, or by withholding payments to sub-contractors and small business suppliers, then that needs stamping down on.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 7, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

good old "grassroots" keith will definitely focus on small businesses and not e.g. large ones owned by donors

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

good old "grassroots" keith will definitely focus on small businesses and not e.g. large ones owned by donors

Yeah I know. That's the shame.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

None of the parties give a single poo poo about small businesses despite them being a buzzword they all use, it's pretty funny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Please spell Kieths name correctly

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

None of the parties give a single poo poo about small businesses despite them being a buzzword they all use, it's pretty funny.

Yeah, small business owners don't donate huge sums of money to political parties in exchange for favourable legislation or peerages down the line.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jose posted:

Please spell Kieths name correctly

kief

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Boris will now announce selling off the NHS and will use this article to shut him up.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

kingturnip posted:

On an unrelated note, this popped up in my Google feed (bolding mine).

TL:DR version: social care staff are notified of safeguarding concerns regarding a vulnerable woman's son. They discuss these, agree that they should talk to the woman about them without her son being present. They visit the woman, letting themselves into her flat to do so, and the woman's son then complains to the Ombudsman that they caused his mother significant distress.

There's more detail in the article, but while I can see where the Ombudsman is coming from, this seems like it fucks with the ability of social workers to actually safeguard vulnerable adults. Does this woman's human right to be left alone in her home outweigh the legal requirement for social care staff to investigate safeguarding concerns? The whole thing seems really loving grim.
TBH I am not sure that the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman should necessarily be taken as the final arbiter on complex issues of ECHR law.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

justcola posted:

Cheers for the feedback - I don't say oval office around her of course, this all came up because I was reiterating something else somebody said about Captain Tom and said 'c-word' instead of oval office, then we got onto using words like that which quickly translate into their actual meaning so why not just use the original word and so on. I was wondering if there'd be an easy answer, but maybe not - I'll think on it.

I first came about the word when I was very young and my dad would like to retell the Derek and Clive 'this bloke came up to me' skit, and I remember shouting it at some other lad in the playground but none of my friends had heard it before. It's me, I'm the child swearer.

I still remember the day i learnt all the swear words from a child swearer, good times!

I think i know the easy answer? Whereas Vagina translated from Latin literally means sword sheath defining it as purely some place for a guy to stick his dick. oval office refers to the whole shebang allowing it to stand on its own away from the dick and so be taken back and used to empower women... maybe? Its one of those arguments i like to throw at Americans and see how they fluster their way out of it

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s officially “faltering” now!

Anyway, the big difference between bitch and the US and UK senses of oval office is that bitch is inherently gendered everywhere. You either call a woman a bitch, or if you call a man a bitch you are saying they’re bad in a specifically feminine way. In America, oval office is the same but more severe, and with overtones of slut-shaming as well. But in the UK if you call a man a oval office, you are not accusing them of being womanly in any way. It just generally means bad. Just like how if you call someone a fucker, you’re not saying they have sex at all.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s officially “faltering” now!

It will be upgraded to 'failing' in the aftermath of the May elections lol.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

God help him when he hits beleaguered

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
He may even hit embattled

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

keith stumbler

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Der Untergang von Deir Stürmer

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ash Crimson posted:

So much bigotry is propagated under the belief that it's just a joke and that those who are personally targeted by it and offended are humourless
That's why I was uncomfortable with finding myself having that thought process, it's worryingly similar to "I was just joking, :siren: you people :siren: are so sensitive."

A lot to think about, thanks peeps.

justcola posted:

I had a long conversation with my girlfriend about the word ‘oval office’ as she doesn’t like me using it.

1) e: never mind, you said you try not to use it around her.

2) As you say, the cultural impact of the word is different everywhere. In Australia and Scotland, it's thrown around very liberally with very little offense. Adam Hills used to have a routine about the c word in Australia but I can't seem to find it.

I find it weird the taboos that build up around words, and a lot of the time a weird contradiction starts to come up between the meaning of the word and the negativity of its usage. "You have a perfect oval office" should in theory be a compliment, but it's tied up in the fact that the word is usually used to imply that the comparison to a vulva is a bad thing, or that the vulva you're comparing it to is somehow disgusting.

In strictly objective linguistic terms, the negative associations make no sense, but end up being more important in terms of the effect on the listener. To a lot of women, hearing the word 'oval office' is as stressful as a threat, something that doesn't really happen to guys hearing the word.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 7, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm not giving up oval office you Cunts I'm Scottish it's my birthright to call everything a oval office as a pseudonym for basically anything.

I'll call my toast a buttery wee oval office I don't give a gently caress.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

it really seems like Baddiel and Linehan are on crusades because they couldn't admit to being wrong over one thing imo
It's funny - one of the quoted sections there, he starts off addressing the Jason Lee thing by saying he recognises that it was wrong and says he has apologised for it, and complaining that he should be allowed to comment on racism without people bringing up the Jason Lee picture.

Then continues along the 'and that's why Jeremy Corbyn should never be allowed back in politics' track and talking about why it's always important to challenge racism and never trust the opinions of someone who's (in his eyes) done a racism.

I think I've made this point before but there's a video on youtube of Jim Davidson at a book signing or something, and someone is asking him to apologise for things like the 'Rastas Watermelon' character. He has a tantrum and starts going "I can't keep apologising for things I did 30 years ago," but surely if the apology is genuine and you genuinely understand why it was bad, you would keep apologising every time someone mentions it?

Maybe if Baddiel starts finding himself making the same arguments as Jim Davidson, he should also consider that his attitudes on race are not well formed enough for him to be leaping into the debate.

Also, bad eels are what's trapped in a bunch of lorries in Kent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My dad and his friends used to refer to women's vaginas as cunts in most of their gross old man style jokes. It was definitely objectified and sexist in that context.

When I moved to America 10 years ago and used it at work there to refer to one of my friends as a "bit of a oval office" you could hear a penny drop, and a colleague said "You used the c-word!!!!" it was explained that it had far worse connotations in the USA, I apologised and stopped using it. No harm done.

Fast forward 10 years, we're far more globalised, and it honestly feels like it should be consigned to the annals of history along with "retard" and "fag" . Ugh, I feel gross even typing those in this context.

Yes, it's an easy way out to refer to tories. However I'll just settle for calling them what they are. Evil Assholes. We all have an rear end in a top hat after all. Why bring gendered insults into it in 2021? There's so many more creative ways to refer to them. Fucktrumpets, poo poo pouches etc etc.