Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

Nobody in this comic knows how to row a boat.

EDIT: Nevermind. They're chasing?

What do you want, it's a gun manga, not a boat manga!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Gunboat isekai next.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/52602/her-majesty-s-swarm

Lady gets isekai'd as the human Hive Queen of a zerg-like race

Rip and Tear

If anyone is a j novel club member, this is on catchup (vol 1-3) this month. I haven't read it, but I recognized the name on their monthly thing

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Jackard posted:

Gunboat isekai next.

I just wanted Aircraft carrier isekai but then I realized what I actually wanted was John Birmingham's World War 2.0 series

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of which, are there any manga that focus on airships and/or floating islands?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Gunnm and Soukuu no Ariadne

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I posted about these in the Wholesome thread, but now that MangaDex is back up I figured I'd crosspost here too:

Onean posted:

Here's those recommendations.

First is one of my favorite WNs, but in manga.
Deathbound Duke's Daughter and Seven Noblemen (Manganelo)

quote:

One evening in early spring, eight-year-old Erica Aurelia realizes she’s the detestable little villainess from an otome game called Liber Monstrorum ~Phantom Beasts and the Winter Princess~. As if that wasn’t bad enough already, Erica’s role in the game is to pester the main character... and then die in order to kick off a mysterious series of events! These incidents are different in each love interest’s route, and seven routes means seven deaths to avoid. Not one to throw in the towel, Erica knows she must take action to destroy her death flags—and since her life is on the line, there’s no time to lose!
It's another Otome Villainess reincarnation, but there's a few differences here. First and foremost, the author has outright said they're not comfortable in their skill when it comes to writing romance, so it won't be a focus. Next, it feels like there was a lot of love put into this world, and while that lead to some dense reading (the good kind, at least for me) in the WN, I'm excited to see the world in a manga. Finally, the MC only completed two (and part of another) of the seven routes before she dies. She knows some information of the other routes and who they are due to seeing spoilers on the internet, but not details. Thanks to that, she's not able to prepare too much ahead of time.

The set-up and past life imply things are going to be grim going forward, but the series is more light than dark.

I Became the Beloved Child of Winter Fenrir: A Story of Being Healed From Despair (Manganelo)

quote:

"When I got fired from my job, I went to a different world..."

Fujioka Noelle is a hard worker for a black company, but her efforts go unrewarded when she is handed a notice of dismissal one day. Frustrated and sinking into despair, she was suddenly transported to another world...

In front of the bewildered Noelle appeared Fenrir, the large, silvery-white wolf. Taking a liking to her, they took her into their care as their 'beloved daughter.' Before long, in the midst of her healing, she became caught up in events that will change the world...

For this one I kind of wish she wasn't so against returning to live with her parents before dying, but that's a pretty minor quibble at most.

Even if the Sword Saint is Boring, He's Still the Strongest (Manganelo)
(I heavily recommend waiting for MangaDex to come back up for this one. The early chapters were retranslated with a better translation, but Manganelo has the earlier, not as good translation. The images below I had to grab from the better translator's website.)

quote:

Shirokuro Sansui, a Japanese student, was accidentally killed by God, then sent to another world in apology. There, he received training from a sage for 500 years in order to become “the strongest.” After training enough to be considered the strongest by the world’s current standards, he happened upon a baby near his training grounds, thus beginning his otherworld adventure. His training was normal, his moves are boring… even though he’s the strongest person in the world, everything else about him is just plain. The curtain opens on the sword saint who fights with just a normal wooden sword.

This one is just really chill and fun.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Onean posted:

Onean posted:

I posted about these in the Wholesome thread, but now that MangaDex is back up I figured I'd crosspost here too:

It's another Otome Villainess reincarnation, but there's a few differences here. First and foremost, the author has outright said they're not comfortable in their skill when it comes to writing romance, so it won't be a focus. Next, it feels like there was a lot of love put into this world, and while that lead to some dense reading (the good kind, at least for me) in the WN, I'm excited to see the world in a manga. Finally, the MC only completed two (and part of another) of the seven routes before she dies. She knows some information of the other routes and who they are due to seeing spoilers on the internet, but not details. Thanks to that, she's not able to prepare too much ahead of time.

The set-up and past life imply things are going to be grim going forward, but the series is more light than dark.

I Became the Beloved Child of Winter Fenrir: A Story of Being Healed From Despair (Manganelo)

For this one I kind of wish she wasn't so against returning to live with her parents before dying, but that's a pretty minor quibble at most.

i caught up on both due to your recommendation, thanks. ( I was already reading sword saint)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

Even if the Sword Saint is Boring, He's Still the Strongest (Manganelo)
(I heavily recommend waiting for MangaDex to come back up for this one. The early chapters were retranslated with a better translation, but Manganelo has the earlier, not as good translation. The images below I had to grab from the better translator's website.)

This one is just really chill and fun.
[/quote]

I shall do the same then.

Deathbound Duke's Daughter is an awesome one I rec from time to time. I have the first two LN's from Jnovel and they're very good. Her past life was very sad in a pestered by lovely assholes and rumor smeared kind of way which left her rather jaded on relationships so she's pretty dense thought it makes more sense than Bakarina if some ways given the context. The way I always describe is, Bakarina combined with GrimGrimoire for those familiar with the game with maybe a bit of Nancy Drew in the mix.

The artwork is also super pretty for the LN.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Isekai is like Junk Food. It's fun to read and even though I know it's not good I can't help but indulge because it's trashy and fun.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Jackard posted:

Speaking of which, are there any manga that focus on airships and/or floating islands?

Asebi and The Adventurers of Sky World

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Isekai is like Junk Food. It's fun to read and even though I know it's not good I can't help but indulge because it's trashy and fun.

This is how I'm now following 200+ series (in my defense I think over half of them have quietly stopped updating).

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Jackard posted:

Tenkuu no Shiro o Moratta no de Isekai de Tanoshiku Asobitai (I Want To Play Happily Because I Got The Heavenly Castle)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that is a hell of an awkward pose, like what the hell is she even doing there

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
She's trying to do the torture dance from jojo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

Stumbling backwards.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The problem with isekai is that majority of isekai that I’ve read would have been a lot better if they weren’t isekai. You don’t need the codified stats and the power fantasy removing all sense of challenge when you have an interesting world and plot!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just read The Way To Protect The Female Lead's Brother and it left such an impression on me that I felt I had to share it. And it's definitely not wholesome.

Basically it's a villainess reincarnation story, except in this case the setting is that there's a family of, like, supervillains? They're all psychopaths with superpowers, because all the children are raised to ruthlessly plot against each other until only the strongest/smartest/most villainous survive. Anyway, in the original story they are eventually destroyed by the opposing heroic and noble family that the the heroine is from, so when our lead reincarnates as a daughter of the villainous family she tries to avoid that by preventing the tragedy that started it all: when her family kills the heroine's older brother who they kidnapped.

Anyway, none of that is really why I found it interesting. What's interesting is the fact that the lead is actually like a real villainess? The stuff about the "original story" rarely comes up, and at this point she doesn't even seem to care about it anymore. Just surviving in her household has forced her to act like a villainess: to be paranoid, to think of everyone else as either a risk or a tool, to take advantage of people's weaknesses, etc. So even though she's not as sadistic as her siblings, she still kind of ends up becoming the mask? Even by plotting against her family, she's becoming exactly the person they want her to be. Also she's a total badass with like evil blood butterfly powers.

Anyway, it's interesting as a reincarnation story where she actually, like, grows up as a different person rather than simply being a Japanese/Korean person living in a fantasy world.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 5, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

thetoughestbean posted:

The problem with isekai is that majority of isekai that I’ve read would have been a lot better if they weren’t isekai. You don’t need the codified stats and the power fantasy removing all sense of challenge when you have an interesting world and plot!

Counterpoint: I think you could breathe new life into LOTR (and other older works of fiction) by simply adding a preface where Frodo tells the reader that he just realized that he had the memories of a modern Japanese teenager. No other changes in the text are required.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
frodo never specifically says he does not have the mind of a japanese teenager, so he probably did all along. tolkien just forgot to put it in because he was focusing on putting in more annoying songs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It’s actually the other way around. The paradise Frodo sails to at the end is modern Japan.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
When they bought food and drink at the Prancing Pony in Bree, they never explained how the cost of the meal gave Frodo insight how their currency related to the Japanese yen, and I really think that would have engaged me in the story more

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I think that one of the major problems is that a lot of isekai use the nature of the genre as a crutch to justify contrivances and not as a tool to enhance the experience.

Isekais could be basically considered an experiment: what happens when you add this character to that world? So readers need good world building since that's important to understanding the world before the character gets isekai'd. You also need good characterization to establish who your MC is. But then writing needs to address how the characters react to their new world and how that world responds to them. Problem is, MC reacting to their new world with, "Gee, they're dumb. Why don't they do [thing]?" and the world being nothing but amazed with MC is not really an interesting reaction.

Basically, if you can swap out your isekai'd MC with a "genius" and reasonably do the same story, it's a bad isekai.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isekai's are just the Japanese take on A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Just read The Way To Protect The Female Lead's Brother and it left such an impression on me that I felt I had to share it. And it's definitely not wholesome.

Halfway through the available chapters and I'm sold. This is the 2nd korean reincarnation series I'll be reading where the very capable lead keeps a collar around for her silver haired boy toy. A potential cultural kink aside I enjoyed the opening chapters and there's a good sense of dramatic flair with the introductions and very good art. The amount of detail on all the clothing is commendable. That praise aside I think this is relevant to regurgitate.

thetoughestbean posted:

The narrative gains nothing from having the main character be aware of the script because of an isekai reincarnation save helping it aim high on whatever websites algorithm and rankings it was originally posted on. This would be a similar but minor complaint I have with the opening chapters of 'Is it Fortune Weal or is it Woe' because in both cases the justification the Main Character has for trying to avoid the bad-end route assigned to the character they inhabit could just as easily be explained by that character's tendencies.

For the first story; All that needs to be said is that Roxanne recognizes Kassis for his lineage and realizes her father went too far and is inviting all out war so she's fishing for an out. For the latter story Dylan just needs to be an overprotective sibling not ok with her younger sister marrying off to a relatively older man despite herself not being that into the idea of marriage. I don't think either of these ruin the narrative but it feels so token and tacked on; doubly so because in both cases the humans are so in tune with their fantasy counterparts mentality that there is no conflict of personality or actions. Roxanne isn't horrified by what she has to do to survive in her household because she used to be a normal person living a normal life.

Rather than having a problem with magic being simplified to video game terms to the point that it takes the "magic" out of the world, or the main character just waking up better than everyone else so there's no room for meaningful growth or conflict. This is the kind of frustration where it feels like the writer didn't have faith in the strength of their own premise so they add this isekai element to appeal to a wider audience and trick them into reading this otherwise good story.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My favorite isekai is Chitra because she was a gacha game addict and so the god who brings her to the fantasy world gives her a special gacha mechanic where she can pull hot husbandos by gaining the god worship.

It owns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Halfway through the available chapters and I'm sold. This is the 2nd korean reincarnation series I'll be reading where the very capable lead keeps a collar around for her silver haired boy toy. A potential cultural kink aside I enjoyed the opening chapters and there's a good sense of dramatic flair with the introductions and very good art. The amount of detail on all the clothing is commendable. That praise aside I think this is relevant to regurgitate.

The narrative gains nothing from having the main character be aware of the script because of an isekai reincarnation save helping it aim high on whatever websites algorithm and rankings it was originally posted on. This would be a similar but minor complaint I have with the opening chapters of 'Is it Fortune Weal or is it Woe' because in both cases the justification the Main Character has for trying to avoid the bad-end route assigned to the character they inhabit could just as easily be explained by that character's tendencies.

For the first story; All that needs to be said is that Roxanne recognizes Kassis for his lineage and realizes her father went too far and is inviting all out war so she's fishing for an out. For the latter story Dylan just needs to be an overprotective sibling not ok with her younger sister marrying off to a relatively older man despite herself not being that into the idea of marriage. I don't think either of these ruin the narrative but it feels so token and tacked on; doubly so because in both cases the humans are so in tune with their fantasy counterparts mentality that there is no conflict of personality or actions. Roxanne isn't horrified by what she has to do to survive in her household because she used to be a normal person living a normal life.

Rather than having a problem with magic being simplified to video game terms to the point that it takes the "magic" out of the world, or the main character just waking up better than everyone else so there's no room for meaningful growth or conflict. This is the kind of frustration where it feels like the writer didn't have faith in the strength of their own premise so they add this isekai element to appeal to a wider audience and trick them into reading this otherwise good story.

While I can definitely see your point that if the isekai protagonist becomes too enmeshed in their new life then it kind of defeats the point, I also feel like a lot of reincarnation stories go the other way and kind of ignore the influence that growing up again as a new person would have on someone. Like they plop into the world as a complete person with all their Japanese values intact and these things will never change. If you talk to someone who actually believes in reincarnation for real, as a spiritual process, they will usually tell you that it's possible to recover memories of your past lives but also that that won't change who you are as a person. It's already "accounted for" as it were: your past self made you who you are in your next life. In a lot of these stories the characters end up as strangers in their own families which is just weird to me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

https://mangadex.org/title/52827/tensei-shitara-dai-nana-ouji-dattanode-kimamani-majutsu-o-kiwamemasu
I was reincarnated as the 7th Prince so I will perfect my magic as I please

Hey so this kind of slaps. I mean it's nothing new or interesting like baseball isekai, but no one is a slave yet. It's got a lot of pure colombian power fantasy and I'm not going to lie that's a lot of what I come to an isekai for. The disrespect to superior magical opponents is pretty choice. Still fairly new and only a few chapters but I'm cautiously optimistic that this'll be a fun romp without having to hold my nose too much.

The basic premise is that a guy who wants to do magic good gets reincarnated as the 7th son of the king, which gives him plenty of time to learn how to do magic really good. Like I said, not the most innovative premise but I kind of like the "isekai'd from one fantasy world to another" kind of story.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wouldn't a pure Colombian power fantasy involve a ton of slavery though? That's what the man is famous for. Go to new world -> enslave everyone.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Clarste posted:

Wouldn't a pure Colombian power fantasy involve a ton of slavery though? That's what the man is famous for. Go to new world -> enslave everyone.

Isekai Columbus but from the perspective of a Japanese kid who gets reincarnated as an indigenous person. Let's go.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Clarste posted:

Not if the new world equivalent peoples in the story were on equal footing with the explorers or colonizers. Then its just regular old conflict.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, that one was fine at first and then it became mostly about adult women lusting after a little boy. it's unquestionably shotacon.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I really am going to enjoy this villainous story. Every time a new character shows up is magic

Because all but two people in this house are entirely horrible individuals.

And I love it. Just some thoughts about the rest Roxanne not having an indomitable position within the house is appreciated. Her brother Dion is clearly someone she has to tip-toe around and he mentioned something about the venom butterfly eggs that leads me to believe he knew the 1st one had hatched despite Roxanne hiding that from others. Maria and the other sibling are good chaotic elements and despite the Agriche Patriarch not doing much I suspect he's got some cards to play as well. I feel bad for Roxxie's mother though, how did a woman like her wind up in a house like that? The story doesn't have many characters but it's consistently engaging with what's there and seriously the author really enjoys giving people new outfits. I swear Roxxie has two new dresses every chapter. What with all the blood and stuff.

Clarste posted:

While I can definitely see your point that if the isekai protagonist becomes too enmeshed in their new life then it kind of defeats the point, I also feel like a lot of reincarnation stories go the other way and kind of ignore the influence that growing up again as a new person would have on someone. Like they plop into the world as a complete person with all their Japanese values intact and these things will never change. If you talk to someone who actually believes in reincarnation for real, as a spiritual process, they will usually tell you that it's possible to recover memories of your past lives but also that that won't change who you are as a person. It's already "accounted for" as it were: your past self made you who you are in your next life. In a lot of these stories the characters end up as strangers in their own families which is just weird to me.
I find the bolded part ironic since one thing I look for in reincarnation stories is a conflict of personalities/memories/ideologies but if the stories were written more true to the belief it would be ok. To be more specific I think reincarnation stories where the MC regains memories at a very early age (mostly infant) should be treated as a sort of continuation from their previous lives. For example, 'The Lady and the Beast' does this where the main character reincarnates and is still a part of her family and environment as her new name, but is very much a similar person as their previous life and even carries some baggage with them.

I'd say to your own observations, most stories I've seen where the MC keeps everything including their sensibilities lead into level up stories and kingdom builders so the MC can wow everyone with crop rotation and soy sauce.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Want an isekai where the isekai'd dude does all the dumb colonialist "with my high school level of knowledge i will invent computers" stuff, but from the perspective of one of the natives of the world going through this massive societal change driven and controlled by a japanese teenager

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

if you think about it colombus was an irl awful isekai protagonist

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Another cross-post:

Onean posted:

Went through some more stuff, and found another series to recommend.

The Tanaka Family Reincarnates

quote:

An ordinary family that loves cats. One day, the whole Tanaka family died during a major earthquake. When they woke up, they were reincarnated as the Stuart family, a noble family from another world.

Though everyone is dressed in the Western style, they have memories of their previous Japanese lives. Even though they’re confused, they've gotten used to living in another world.
Normally I'd keep an eye on something like this and recommend it later when there's more than just a few chapters, but the premise here is unusual so I had to share.

A small warning, though. It doesn't have the best flow in these opening chapters, with it jumping around in time a bunch. I'm willing to give it a chance to find it's feet, though, since it's grabbed my interest.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, that one was fine at first and then it became mostly about adult women lusting after a little boy. it's unquestionably shotacon.

I just read through it, and while it was ok at first it kind of lost me when the MC was sitting there absorbed in learning new magic while everyone else is getting their asses kicked. I'm sure it will come out in the next chapter that he needs this new magic, but it just kind of struck a wrong chord with me given how OP he already is.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Eh, I mean I'm usually creeped out by the standard isekai trope of a 35-year-old salaryman having a relationship with a child so I can't help but be less creeped out by one where his potential love interests are at least past the age of consent. I mean pick your poison I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Eh, I mean I'm usually creeped out by the standard isekai trope of a 35-year-old salaryman having a relationship with a child so I can't help but be less creeped out by one where his potential love interests are at least past the age of consent. I mean pick your poison I guess.

it's all weird and bad maybe some are arguably more weird and bad then others but it's not really a distinction worth making