Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Embattled labour leader urged to bring back hanging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's also worth pointing out that Baddiel never apologised. He just remained pissy about the photo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I confess I find the word "binch" extremely funny for some reason but I don't use it cos it seems wrong.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's also worth pointing out that Baddiel never apologised. He just remained pissy about the photo.

He's apologised to the Daily Telegraph but not to Jason Lee iirc

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I can't really imagine using the word oval office at work but then I tend to not be very sweary at work, well, at least not until the basement flooded last week and the leased line into the office was about 35cm away from being covered in poo water.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

He claims he has in the book, which is why I brought it up:

https://twitter.com/TKispeter/status/1358203975753994243?s=19

Like I said, basically "I apologised for the racist thing I did but the big meanies keep reminding me I was racist whenever I try to talk about racism." Meanwhile the traitor Jeremy Corbyn should be hounded out of public life and reminded of his racism every time he tries to talk about race.

The 'more important kind of racism' line is particularly insidious because it's very similar to the attack line he keeps using against Corbyn about his alleged antisemitism.

He's a total loving hypocrite and he can't even see it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mebh posted:

My dad and his friends used to refer to women's vaginas as cunts in most of their gross old man style jokes. It was definitely objectified and sexist in that context.

When I moved to America 10 years ago and used it at work there to refer to one of my friends as a "bit of a oval office" you could hear a penny drop, and a colleague said "You used the c-word!!!!" it was explained that it had far worse connotations in the USA, I apologised and stopped using it. No harm done.

Fast forward 10 years, we're far more globalised, and it honestly feels like it should be consigned to the annals of history along with "retard" and "fag" . Ugh, I feel gross even typing those in this context.

Yes, it's an easy way out to refer to tories. However I'll just settle for calling them what they are. Evil Assholes. We all have an rear end in a top hat after all. Why bring gendered insults into it in 2021? There's so many more creative ways to refer to them. Fucktrumpets, poo poo pouches etc etc.

On the other hand, we could just not import American social values onto our own use of our language? Because if we're really going to go accept a homogenised global english language culture that's going to be a one way street

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He's a total loving hypocrite and he can't even see it.

I especially like how he takes a swing at people not letting JK Rowling off for being a "mostly good person with one blind spot" after all the poo poo she pulled and yet SOMEHOW that doesn't translate to judging Corbyn against his record. I guess "that doesn't count".

By the way since theres been a Bowie reference in the thread title I've found myself humming

kier star-mer has a big forensic brain
he'd like to stop the tories but instead he'll just abstain
kier star-mer has a big strategic mind
another labour leader would be twenty points behind...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah he apologized in the same way that Eric Clapton did about the racist rant. A continual chain of non-apologies approaching an actual apology in the same way that 1/x approaches the vertical asymptote.

multijoe posted:

On the other hand, we could just not import American social values onto our own use of our language? Because if we're really going to go accept a homogenised global english language culture that's going to be a one way street
Yeah, there's a whole bunch of things that are offensive in other cultures and deliberately bringing those things up in that culture to be edgy makes you, aptly enough, a bit of a oval office, but allowing a hegemonic linguistic monoculture to trample all over everything that isn't white middle America isn't the answer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isomermaid posted:

I especially like how he takes a swing at people not letting JK Rowling off for being a "mostly good person with one blind spot" after all the poo poo she pulled and yet SOMEHOW that doesn't translate to judging Corbyn against his record. I guess "that doesn't count".

Not least because her writing still has her lovely politics written all over them. Even the HP books are super obviously written by a white-rear end middle class liberal, with the absolute garbage perspective on everything that comes with that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Embattled labour leader urged to bring back hanging

Kier Starmer to rebrand Labour Party as "Entrepreneur Party" in bid to reverse falling popularity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Kier Starmer to avoid rake by walking in slightly different direction without checking for further rakes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Kier Starmer to rebrand Labour Party as "Entrepreneur Party" in bid to reverse falling popularity

This seems like a lathe of heaven prediction if there ever was one

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It might be just my impression but I feel like Americans use "pussy" a whole lot more, even if it's not quite the same in connotations, and I find that more offensive than "oval office" tbh.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reminder that the man currently occupying No.10 Downing Street as Her Majesty's Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury publically said 'gently caress business' and his government is overseeing the ruination of multiple business sectors and a 68% drop in export volumes.

But of course these things are always treated fairly and impartialy by the media. I'm sure that the press will look properly at Starmer's pro-business stance and not immediately declare Labour a communist menace if they propose putting up any sort of tax by any amount, however small.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mebh posted:

My dad and his friends used to refer to women's vaginas as cunts in most of their gross old man style jokes. It was definitely objectified and sexist in that context.

When I moved to America 10 years ago and used it at work there to refer to one of my friends as a "bit of a oval office" you could hear a penny drop, and a colleague said "You used the c-word!!!!" it was explained that it had far worse connotations in the USA, I apologised and stopped using it. No harm done.

Fast forward 10 years, we're far more globalised, and it honestly feels like it should be consigned to the annals of history along with "retard" and "fag" . Ugh, I feel gross even typing those in this context.

Yes, it's an easy way out to refer to tories. However I'll just settle for calling them what they are. Evil Assholes. We all have an rear end in a top hat after all. Why bring gendered insults into it in 2021? There's so many more creative ways to refer to them. Fucktrumpets, poo poo pouches etc etc.

Yes, but none of them are nearly as potent as oval office. Fucktrumpet is a comedy term. oval office is vicious. And not just in meaning but in sound.

Perhaps the rest of the world should accept the Aussies & Scots (& the Irish I think?) are right, oval office is a great word.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

happyhippy posted:

Boris will now announce selling off the NHS and will use this article to shut him up.
Boris will continue to de-privatise the NHS and Starmer will attack him for it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SpicePro posted:

I can't really imagine using the word oval office at work but then I tend to not be very sweary at work, well, at least not until the basement flooded last week and the leased line into the office was about 35cm away from being covered in poo water.

Was the line leaking your posts?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

There's so many more creative ways to refer to them. Fucktrumpets, poo poo pouches etc etc.

Because as soon as someone uses one of these incredibly annoying constructions (swear word+innocent word), I and anyone else who isn't a wanker thinks far less of them.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
honestly in my experience it's how you deliver your swear - those conjunction swears all suck rear end but you can get a lot out of simple repetition eg "you loving gently caress" "gently caress you, you gently caress" "loving blow me, fucker" etc

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was the line leaking your posts?

I see what you have done here and it is quality posting!!!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm not giving up oval office you Cunts I'm Scottish it's my birthright to call everything a oval office as a pseudonym for basically anything.

I'll call my toast a buttery wee oval office I don't give a gently caress.

Yeah I think i'm officially old now because certain parts of this forums attempts to retire 'bitch' seems like a solution for a problem no one had

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

oval office-trumpet, the most powerful swearing technology

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Much as I loathe Keefie, why was he forced to apologize for lying in the House when Johnson lied, never apologized and noone cares?
Maybe he should have said "I'll apologize when Johnson apologizes for lying to the house, the queen, the country'.
Why are the 'left' (very loosely defined if Keith is included) always on the back foot for so called bad behaviour when the right are significantly worse and never get called to account?

(All rhetorical questions).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6ngThqMEs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I missed that, what did he lie about?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guardian posted:

EU 'acting like absentee landlord' over Brexit in Northern Ireland

:thunk:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I missed that, what did he lie about?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-accuses-boris-johnson-spreading-23436690

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/03/boris-johnson-visit-vaccine-plant-despite-covid-outbreak

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Oh lol the thing he got mad about

And he was wrong...
It's not going well for the lad

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's not going well for the lad

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-uprising-furious-mps-demand-jeremy-corbyn-ally-john-mcdonnell-take-power/ar-BB1dsOzN

quote:

Labour uprising: Furious MPs demand Jeremy Corbyn ally John McDonnell take power

uprising: Furious MPs demand Jeremy Corbyn ally John McDonnell take power

Senior Labour MPs have called for the former Shadow Chancellor to stand as their candidate in a future leadership challenge. This comes just ten months after Sir Keir took over from Jeremy Corbyn following Labour's worst election defeat since 1935.

etc

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I know he's a decent sort but please not McDonnell - all the Corbyn baggage but with the guy who wants to balance the budgets in charge.

I guess that's the issue is both the right and left of labour are pretty bare

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Problem is the last 5 years showed that the Labour party is loving absolutely rotten through and just changing the leader isn't enough.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I know he's a decent sort but please not McDonnell - all the Corbyn baggage but with the guy who wants to balance the budgets in charge.

I guess that's the issue is both the right and left of labour are pretty bare

Is there anyone in the PLP who doesn't want to balance the budgets, or at least will admit to knowing how money actually works?

E: I wonder what proportion of MPs actually think that government spending works like a household budget, and how many are just pretending for money

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 7, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/SamWhyte/status/1358437230562410500?s=20

:kstare:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also, bad eels are what's trapped in a bunch of lorries in Kent.

this is just another problem eels don't need

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Is there anyone in the PLP who doesn't want to balance the budgets, or at least will admit to knowing how money actually works?

E: I wonder what proportion of MPs actually think that government spending works like a household budget, and how many are just pretending for money

They actually did a survey on this:
https://positivemoney.org/2017/10/mp-poll/

quote:

Only 15% of MPs were aware that new money is created when banks make loans, and existing money is destroyed when members of the public repay loans. 62% thought this was false, while 23% responded ‘don’t know’. Tory MPs seemed to have a slightly better idea, with 19% answering correctly, compared to only 5% of Labour MPs.
As explained in the ‘Money creation in the modern economy’ report published by the Bank of England in 2014, most money takes the form of bank deposits, which are mostly created through commercial banks making loans: “Whenever a bank makes a loan, it simultaneously creates a matching deposit in the borrower’s bank account, thereby creating new money.” The most recent figures suggest that 97% of money exists as bank deposits, with only 3% created by the Bank of England and Royal Mint as cash.

70% of MPs incorrectly believed that only the government has the authority to create all new money – including the electronic money in personal bank accounts – with only 23% knowing this to be false, and 6% answering ‘don’t know’. Labour performed slightly better on this question, with 29% of Labour MPs answering correctly, compared to 25% of Tory MPs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't the entire point of banks that they are allowed to create money up to a certain number of times their actual cash on hand? And wasn't there some whole bust up about how much that should be a while back because the increased liquidity vs "oh poo poo we actually can't pay this back if people ask for it" and then the government has to create money to bail them out and then pretend they didn't.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 7, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, but none of them are nearly as potent as oval office. Fucktrumpet is a comedy term. oval office is vicious. And not just in meaning but in sound.

Perhaps the rest of the world should accept the Aussies & Scots (& the Irish I think?) are right, oval office is a great word.

Fair. And I cede the point that the constructions of these words are kinda silly. I'm just uncomfy with they use of oval office myself, mostly due to looking back on my racist and sexist tory father. Hell my wife is American and she uses it all the time but she's half Irish and swears like a damned sailor.

Either way I don't want to police others' language.

Kier is almost deserving of it lately though. Business focused "labour" party my arse.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
No deal is better than a Baddiel

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Knowing a couple of both former and current Labour MPs in person and just how innumerate they are, and I imagine they are typical of MPs from all parties and none, I have no confidence that most MPs have a clue about the things they are voting on. There should be a compulsory 6 week course on economics, law, structure of the legal and penal systems, and a few other bits and pieces for all new MPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

No deal is better than a Baddiel

Oi you, new thread title, immediately!