Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

I'm going to post like Edward G. Robinson this entire month. Nyaa. See?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
I know it's just beginning Februnoiry, but a thought came up: has anyone any interest in seeing Anaconda or other sad movies some time in the future on the Wednesday C&D movie? I note that Youtube has Anaconda, Croczilla, and Shark Lake as full movies!

Anaconda IMDB review: "Anaconda is often looked at as cinematic trash. And it is but it's also wonderfully entertaining. Jennifer Lopez, Ice Cube, Eric Stoltz, Kari Wuhrer, Owen Wilson and Jon Voight star. Jennifer Lopez is really fierce as the lead and Jon Voight is so bonkers and over the top it's just comically absurd and wonderful. The effects leave something to be desired. The digital doesn't hold up but the practical is still pretty cool. The movie is creepy and funny and it's opening kill features a somewhat young I think Danny Trejo. Sometimes you just need to trash it up."

Croczilla IMDB: "Xiao, befriends Amao a 36 foot crocodile, who lives on his fathers croc sanctuary. Xiao's father is forced to sell his crocodiles to a gangster who plans to use them for high priced meals. Before Amao is due to be slaughtered, he escapes, slaying his captors in the process. Amongst the chaos, Amao accidentally swallows a bag with $1 million dollars inside. When rumor's of this spread, the town locals are split with some fearing for their lives and others set out to capture and kill the crocodile, at any cost. Written by Russell Cunningham"

Shark Lake IMDB: "My quick rating - 3,5/10. Really bad. I do appreciate the CGI swimmers against a underwater backdrop that has to be public domain video at this point. The movie is laughable to that level and the only shimmering glimpse of hope is the story? Did I really just say that? If you take away the stupid supposed horror element of normal sized bull sharks hanging out in a lake you actually have a somewhat interesting idea. The romance involves the dealer that sells exotic animals and something he lets lose in the water happens to have babies and is a shark. OK, dumb there, but when it is revealed for other purpose just seemed like the story warped two together since he did so to get back with his ex. OK, sounds dumb, but I saw a glimmer of hope, didn't say it was great. Either way, avoid this movie but maybe Jerry Duggan has something up his sleeve(if he hangs onto his screenplay writer) for something better."

BoldFrankensteinMir

We could do another night whenever we want, and other folks can host them too!

As for tonight, Dick Tracy has begun! http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Pigsfeet on Rye
Probation
OK, Gang Bullets was just magnificently bad, and the Dick Tracy serials were much better than I thought they would be. Way cool choices for the C&D night!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gang Bullets was unironically good and I'm a new poster from Coupons and Deals, my name is Anderson

Heather Papps

hello friend

LAUNDRY???

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm Billy Jones and I'm a cop

Prof. Crocodile

My name is Lucifer, so obviously I am a minor character and of minimal interest.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm very glad you enjoyed it, the relationship between the classic grand concept Noir with a capital N, and cruddy cheapness like Gang Bullets, is so essential. As we will see on Saturday, a good Noir succeeds with all the same elements (people talking! Shadows on walls! A car!!!), just done better and smarter.

Sig by Heather Papps

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I feel bad that I keep forgetting that there are Wednesday movies.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! At 4pm PST 7pm EST midnight GMT, join us in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies for another BYOB movie night! Tonight's picture is from 1946: Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious!

Recommended by our own blaise rascal, this romantic thriller about espionage is an all-time classic, and is often pointed to as proof of the classic refrain that that ol' Hitch was in his mid 40's before he made anything good. It's... not wrong, honestly. His early work has charms, what's left of it, but really he doesn't catch his stride until much much later in life. And this has Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman and Claude Rains so even if it was just them reading the newspaper to you it'd be captivating. It's gonna make Gang Bullets look like Super 8 home movie footage of mannequins bumping up against eachother in comparison.

Plus we'll be watching parts 3 and 4 of Dick Tracy vs Crime INC! (starts a half hour before the show!)

I gotta level with you friends, Notorious is fantastic but it is not the noir masterpiece I would ideally start us with, even though it's a gorgeous and great movie. But every single title I look up is not available for free: no Maltese Falcon, no Double Indemnity, No The Postman Always Rings Twice. And it pisses me off something fierce because this is exactly the period of movies that is supposed to be public domain now, but isn't thanks to those *profanity-laced screed removed for BYOB audience*-huffing ratbags at Disney, who extended the copyright period and thereby robbed an entire generation of cinemaphiles of some of the most important historic records in our field. It legitimately enrages me that I went to film school almost 20 years ago now and I STILL have to pay money to watch the same movies from the 30's and 40's I had to pay to study at school. Nobody who made them is still alive and even if they were they wouldn't deserve another dime. These movies are absolutely a valuable part of American history, they should belong to everyone, but nope! Gotta keep cashing in even if it destroys the legacy. Seriouspost- Walt would be ashamed, and that's why I don't watch anything by his company anymore. Buncha philistines. *spits*

Anyway, see you there tonight friends! I gotta go cool down, phew...

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

w00t! and I feel you on the disney copyright extension thing, it never fails to make me angry when I think of it. I have a bunch of noir (not a complete collection, but a bunch) on dvd if that could be made useful somehow.

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Movies have begun! http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Pigsfeet on Rye
Probation
OK, now I'm fully invested in following Dick Tracy serials, and that was a great movie with a fantastic ending! Final shot was amazing.

biosterous

really good movie! thanks bfm for hosting and also thanks blaise rascal for suggesting the movie!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Prof. Crocodile

What an incredible film!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah thanks blaise rascal for that one, amazing film.

You can see why noirs are such film-nerd favorites, it's not just that they're good, it's that they're good because they make full use of cinematic language. Film nerds gushing over noir is like old-school sports fans gushing over "fundamentals": it's the small-ball stuff, insert shots and reaction shots and little tiny camera moves that are really exciting.

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

Among the many changes to the original story was the introduction of a MacGuffin: a cache of uranium being held in Sebastian's wine cellar by the Nazis. At the time, it was not common knowledge that uranium was being used in the development of the atomic bomb, and Selznick had trouble understanding its use as a plot device. Indeed, Hitchcock later claimed he was followed by the FBI for several months after he and Hecht discussed uranium with Robert Millikan at Caltech in mid-1945.

One of the signature scenes in Notorious is the two-and-a-half-minute kiss that Hitchcock interrupted every three seconds to slip the scene through the three-second-rule crack in the Production Code. "The two stars worried about how strange it felt", writes biographer McGilligan. "Walking along, nuzzling each other with the camera trailing behind them, seemed 'very awkward' to the actors during filming, according to Bergman. 'Don't worry', Hitchcock assured her. 'It'll look right on the screen.'"[

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

One of the signature scenes in Notorious is the two-and-a-half-minute kiss that Hitchcock interrupted every three seconds to slip the scene through the three-second-rule crack in the Production Code. "The two stars worried about how strange it felt", writes biographer McGilligan. "Walking along, nuzzling each other with the camera trailing behind them, seemed 'very awkward' to the actors during filming, according to Bergman. 'Don't worry', Hitchcock assured her. 'It'll look right on the screen.'"[

did not even come close to noticing this.

BoldFrankensteinMir

That is awesome, thank you HP!

Hitchcock is all about the dense, emotionally poignant, perfectly timed visuals. Set dresser turned director and it so so shows. His actors don't just act, they strike portrait-worthy poses in every composition. Every piece of furniture is there for a reason, the blurry foreground objects frame the action just as he wants them to: he had Hamster Factor down long before Gilliam. Think about the images in Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rear Window, they're all iconic, all emotionally vibrant, all groundbreaking technically, and they've all been parodied to death which is the greatest sign a work has truly left its mark. You add in his TV show and I think Alfred Hitchcock deserves more credit than he gets for helping define the modern AV aesthetic.

A regularly touted fun fact about The Birds is that its final shot is composited from 32 different elements (that's on one length of film stock exposed dozens of times BTW, the technical specs of just the apertures used to expose that footage correctly are mind-blowing). I like to think that Hitchcock had always thought that way, with layered elements creating deep compositions, but it took effects technology a while to catch up to his imagination, and he really was the man to guide that growth. The multiple exposures and perfectly placed matte paintings, even some of the color film stocks that were developed during his heyday are tuned the way they are because of his influence. He was a multiplanar visual thinker with a deep color-theory expertise and a total mastery of the empathetic close-up (as HP's reference beautifully indicates). I think we owe more than anybody can pinpoint to Alfred Hitchcock in modern cinematic language, we really are playing with his stylistic tools in a lot of ways, on big and little screens.

I warned you guys I was gonna get insufferably nerdy this month.

Sig by Heather Papps

biosterous

^ it owns though, i love reading stuff like this

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Khanstant
make this thread flash whenever the movie is on

BoldFrankensteinMir

Khanstant posted:

make this thread flash whenever the movie is on

That's brilliant! I have no idea how to do that but I would love BYOB moviesign

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I tried to find some noir movie bingo cards, but turned up empty. I don't know enough about noir to make my own.
you all get a free space regardless.

Manifisto

Buttchocks posted:

I tried to find some noir movie bingo cards, but turned up empty. I don't know enough about noir to make my own.
you all get a free space regardless.

unfortunately, looks like the creator made only the one card . . .

ty nesamdoom!

Buttchocks

Thank you!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! At 4pm PST 7pm EST Midnight MST, join us in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies for another Coupons & Deals Movie Nite! This time, for Film Noir February we will be watching 1953's Vice Squad:

Also known as The Girl in Room 17, it features Edward G Robinson AND Lee Van Cleef! Not an outright terrible movie but nothing to write home about (it has a 6.6/10 on IMDB and has been remade unsuccessfully a couple of times), I think we'll mostly enjoy the mountains of cheese on display. It's also a decent example of the crime drama sub-category of "police procedural", which you probably know best from modern TV shows like Law & Order, but it has its roots in noir as we'll see in this and especially Saturday's upcoming presentation (can you guess which really good procedural I'm going to try and partner with this cheesy one? I bet you can!)

Plus parts 5 and 6 of Dick Tracy vs Crime INC!

Can Tracy escape the trap door he fell into last time!? I'm thinking definitely not and we're just gonna see a two-part funeral, but maybe??? See you there tonight friends, wear black to remember our beloved dead G-man, RIP!

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

Edward G. Robinson? Nyaaa! See!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Edward G. Robinson? Nyaaa! See!

Is this the end of Rico!?

Seriously if I have the wherewithal to declare "Is this the end of BFM!?" as I'm dying, I'm doing it. Edward G. Robinson is amazing.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

I should add- This movie also stars Paulette Goddard, whose career and life story are actually pretty amazing and worth reading up on. She was in movies with Laurel and Hardy, Bob Hope and Fred Estaire. She was married to Charlie Chaplin and stars in both Modern Times and The Great Dictator and she was Selznick's first choice to play Scarlett O'Hara. 1943 Oscar nom, huge list of A-pictures, she's one of the great classic movie-stars.

But this film is not from her years as a leading lady in the talkies. It's 1953, she's in her 40's and she plays a madam in The Vice Squad, which is, supposedly, the first movie to ever show the inner workings of a "call-girl house". So even though this is a later role for Goddard it's still risky and groundbreaking in its way, that's cool. Paulette Goddard's would be a cool career to showcase for a festival some time, if we wanted to do an all-day event like that.

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i wish modern movie one sheets were as busy

BoldFrankensteinMir

Heather Papps posted:

i wish modern movie one sheets were as busy

I do not have the guts to claim any movie I make will "hold you like a gold diggin' woman!", that's for sure.

Sig by Heather Papps

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
just a heads up but if y'all are ever doing any more animation type movies if y'all can just throw me a little nudge on discord i'd preesh kay, i'm gonna smack that post button now

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! At 4pm PST 7pm EST midnight GMT, join us in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies for another BYOB movie night!

Continuing Film Noir February, this week's actually-good-movie is: 1947's The Naked City:

"Filmed through the eyes of New York's Homicide Squad" might make you think of Wednesday's big spoonful of nothing, Vice Squad, but although these films are similar in some ways they are very different in others. As we talked about then, the genre (or perhaps sub-genre) of "police procedurals" owes a lot to the crime dramas of the era including film noir. The Naked City is a noir but it, in many ways, creates the template for the modern police procedural: in the opening monologue the filmmakers even come out and tell the audience "this is a new kind of film". Their bold claim is held up by this movie winning 2 Academy Awards, for cinematography and editing, and I think you'll agree once you've seen it that it deserves both. The photography is breathtaking (more on that in a moment) and there's a very famous sequence towards the end that gets shown in editing classes to this day- it's as monumental as Potemkin is to the history of the art. Editor Paul Weatherwax creates a number of modern editing conventions in this film, and rightfully gets the Oscar for it.

This movie is a, if not the, pioneering big-screen police procedural, and to cement that legacy it's adapted into the first TV police procedural in 1958, also titled The Naked City. Like the conditions for the births of most genres it's complicated by a lot: first of all, The Naked City was produced with the aid of the photojournalist Weegee, whose book "The Naked City" is an obvious seeming precursor, but there's an argument to be made that the cinematography is more grounded in Italian Neorealism (and especially the "city as character") cinema verite movement. The backdrop of real-life 1947 New York from the street-level up is mesmerizing even without the excellent detective story going on. There are a lot of influences flying around, is what's important. New artforms come out of melting pots; fitting for a film about New York. And the results were something undeniably new and exciting: the Naked City was a smash hit and its genre is still a big moneymaker today.

I hope you'll join us for this gorgeous and amazing classic film, preceded by Dick Tracy vs Crime INC., starting a half hour before showtime. See you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Continuing Film Noir February, this week's actually-good-movie is: 1947's The Naked City:

awesome!

are . . . are we required to be naked when viewing?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Is this movie about a city of naked people? Asking for a friend.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Probation
It is indeed a movie about a city full of naked people, and it has an MPAA Rating NR (Nudity Required). Due to the shocking nature of the movie, no one was ever allowed in the theatres while it was showing, and all reviews were secondhand.

Buttchocks

Slogan for the city's tourism bureau: "I've Seen Everything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I dunno if I want my bf to watch this, there might be a butt or even an weiner in this!!!!