Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It's fun that weed is legal now because I can proffer it as a tip offering with a little less discretion, both because it's very inexpensive for me (I did a bunch of math and convinced myself that last summer I spent 65hrs and $1005 producing 41oz of bud).

I had a delivery this week, a truck with two guys in it, I believe they were of North African descent and there was a small language barrier. When pot was illegal I was always careful when dealing with deliveries, specifically because people who are either uptight whites, or from cultures that I don't understand, might be uncomfortable, and so I would make sure pipes etc were well out of view if someone was going to be bringing a box inside.

In this case the delivery came early and my partner hadn't yet returned with some cash we'd intended to have on hand for a tip, so I offered them some weed. That was funny because of the language barrier and finally I said, "uh, cannabis, marijuana, weed... legal here now...??" and one guy's eyes lit up a bit and he said, "well, can I see it?" The other guy seemed pretty amused (as best as you can tell, behind masks), and the first guy apparently liked the look of my weed because he quickly accepted it and then asked me what strain it was as an afterthought (Dresden Green Diamond).

I leave bags out for the plow person and some other people that do stuff for us; it's a really cost effective way to tip people.

I have opened many doors by having a 1lb bag of weed in my car. Can't get masks from the paint shop during the fires? "I'll give you a quarter of weed for 6 masks" etc. Or the recycle center. Got 10x the amount of paint you can drop off at once? Drop a qtr on the boys and bam paints loving gone.

Either way palms must be greased. Either with green or with greeeeeen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

House bill passed to no fanfare because it's doomed in the senate

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
GBS stoner thread has more political commentary than dnd

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

“If Pelosi was serious about marijuana reform we would take a vote on the STATES Act, which would pass the Senate and be signed into law,” Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, said, referencing a bipartisan bill introduced in the Senate that would legalize marijuana. “But she isn’t. So we’ll do this instead.”

Mr. Gaetz added: “I prefer my marijuana reform not dipped in reparations policy, frankly.”

You only get to enjoy your silly little plant if 100% of the profits go to rich white men

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Next nation to legalize cannabis: Israel?

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/cannabis-industry-prepares-for-israeli-legalization-652412

quote:

Israel’s budding cannabis industry has set its sights on expanding its manufacturing, production and export capabilities, as the country prepares to legalize recreational marijuana in the coming months.

Hagit Weinstock is an attorney specializing in cannabis regulation who co-founded the Tel Aviv-based Weinstock-Zehavi & Co. law firm. She sits on a number of government committees that are working to move legalization efforts forward quickly.

“I can see by the committees that I’m part of that everyone is pushing that [legalization] will be done,” Weinstock told The Media Line. “We already have a draft [law].”

According to the draft law, Israelis over the age of 21 will be allowed to use cannabis and to purchase it at designated stores. Smoking in public places, however, will be forbidden.

Weinstock’s firm is already working with dozens of Israeli and international companies and investors in the growing marijuana sector. Despite the instability of the current Israeli government – and talks of yet another round of elections – she believes that legalization will proceed as planned in the coming months.

“Both sides agree on this issue,” Weinstock affirmed. “They’ve all signed a declaration that this will be an issue that they are going to support so we don’t have dangers with this government or others.”

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Merry Christmas all

Rhode Island moves to legalize marijuana in 2021

Maryland lawmaker files marijuana legalization bill ahead of 2021 session

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How do they keep it illegal forever at this point, UN Convention or no

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

God willing, they won’t

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Squalid posted:

God willing, they won’t

The arguments I've seen presented for it being essentially impossible are that the president would have to be uncouth and act unilaterally to change the 1970 DEA act, and that we would have to violate the UN Convention or get a two thirds majority of congress to change/leave it. A gameshow host has now done both those things in whatever flavor you want to name, I don't see them as obstacles.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reclassifying the UN status technically wouldn't have to be illegal under international law with their latest step, as long as there's at least one state that considers it legal for medical use if my understanding of the latest UN revision is correct.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So in the latest, Jersey passed a state constitutional amendment to legalize weed back in November. This got hemhawed by the state legislature, then eventually passed to the governor...who is now sitting on it because it wouldn't jail enough kids

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DeathChicken posted:

So in the latest, Jersey passed a state constitutional amendment to legalize weed back in November. This got hemhawed by the state legislature, then eventually passed to the governor...who is now sitting on it because it wouldn't jail enough kids

The post says legalize but the article says decriminalize.

Edit: actually it says both. :pwn:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The amendment itself was blanket legalization for anyone 21 or over

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

In a surprise move, Virginia just voted to legalize marijuana starting in 2024. Some variant of the bill is expected to be signed by the governor.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

New Jersey still taking its sweet time on legalizing weed. Though honestly I hope that home grow bill makes it into the final package.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

As a Philadelphian I wish they would stop taking their sweet time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dignity Van Houten posted:

In a surprise move, Virginia just voted to legalize marijuana starting in 2024. Some variant of the bill is expected to be signed by the governor.

If I'm reading this right, dispensaries open in 24, but it could be legal to have much sooner.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
What's the consensus on NY this year? You guys think it'll finally get done?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We're not allowed to have nice things. Legal weed will happen when the Bills win the Superbowl and Cuomo gets kicked out on his rear end.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Phyein posted:

What's the consensus on NY this year? You guys think it'll finally get done?

Depends on whether or not that State Party can overrule the poo poo rear end police and corrections unions, which is going to be hard to do.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finally.
https://twitter.com/NJGov/status/1363914272947007493

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is going to make Taco Tuesday at Tony Baloney's EVEN BETTER.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What time frame are they looking at for having dispensaries open?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

What time frame are they looking at for having dispensaries open?

Early 2022 iirc.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Welp. Seems like the Netherlands, that once so progressive country, has taken another hit when it comes to legalisation. The right wing parties that want to criminalize weed use again, have become the biggest again. While a significant number of countries are working towards true legalisation, in the Netherlands the biggest parties are against it, and a not-insignificant number of parties want to start enforcing the law that currently makes weed use and posession illegal, but is not enforced.

Sigh. Why are people so stupid. We're seeing positive effects worldwide, but yet the extremely narrow minded dutch people still think that weed is bad and should definitely not be treated the way alcohol and nicotine are.

We have yet to see if the ruling parties will put in any effort to crack down on weed, or whether the opposition will be able to block it or push through legalisation, but one thing is for sure - we'll certainly be spending tens of millions of euros on shutting down weed growing operations, as it has been for the last decade or so.
I just wanna loving scream, it's so stupid and wasteful. I barely use it myself so in my life, prohibition won't make a big difference, but i can't deal with the intense stupidity.

/rant.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 19, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jersey's new law does not allow people to grow their own, even having one plant carries some penalties. You can only legally obtain it in a store, and stores won't exist for years. You can only legally consume it inside on your own property.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1374784071562317831
Does anyone have more details on this?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

How many false starts have they had on this now?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the governor needs a news piece to suck the air out of his sexpest scandal. it might work, but its only a temporary fix.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1377275076677099524
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1377294334828154900

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

:catstare:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sounds great, but the odds of this actually passing through the Senate are super low, right?

I feel like you could maybe get to 60 if you just went for, "well, we'll make it not illegal at the federal level anymore and just leave it up to the states", that could work with moderate conservatives, but flat out legalizing it nationally seems like it would just get a party line vote at best.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this seems like something you can buy off manchin on tbh

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

i say swears online posted:

this seems like something you can buy off manchin on tbh

Doesn't matter until the filibuster is fixed.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Add New Mexico to the list

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Captain Monkey posted:

Doesn't matter until the filibuster is fixed.

Also Biden is a drug warrior reptile

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Doesn't legalization poll pretty well even among republicans? The only groups that are totally anti as a solid block are evangelicals and police unions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
And politicians.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cicero posted:

Sounds great, but the odds of this actually passing through the Senate are super low, right?

I feel like you could maybe get to 60 if you just went for, "well, we'll make it not illegal at the federal level anymore and just leave it up to the states", that could work with moderate conservatives, but flat out legalizing it nationally seems like it would just get a party line vote at best.

That's what this is

quote:

Though they avoided the term legalization when announcing their plan, it is expected to remove marijuana from the list of controlled substances and tax and regulate it on the federal level while leaving states able to enforce their own laws regarding the drug.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Doesn't legalization poll pretty well even among republicans? The only groups that are totally anti as a solid block are evangelicals and police unions.

It's honestly not safe to assume anyone who's pro-legalization is just a hippie, there's tons of libertarians and straight up "gently caress taxes and abortion" conservatives who want it legal

e there is also a deep and wide streak of people who do not want it legal, period, still useful to remember that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
A lot of olds need cannabis for pain relief which helps boost support amongst republicans