Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Hogan in a limo things reminds me that one of my least favorite segments I've ever seen is the one where Hogan and... whatever the stunt guy's name is are driving around hunting David Flair. It just keeps cutting back to them dressed like assholes saying tough guy poo poo that's lame by wrestling standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Someone post the WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT scene please.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Someone post the WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT scene please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0v1I_-ys

I should upload this video myself since I have to keep it in my Favorites as there's no way I'd ever remember this title.

Also Sting gives zero fucks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tony ignoring it and going straight to plugging a sponsor is amazing.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

The fact that anyone other than Hulk Hogan thought Sting turning heel against him was a good idea is mindboggling.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

TheKingslayer posted:

The Hogan in a limo things reminds me that one of my least favorite segments I've ever seen is the one where Hogan and... whatever the stunt guy's name is are driving around hunting David Flair. It just keeps cutting back to them dressed like assholes saying tough guy poo poo that's lame by wrestling standards.

Hogan saying an antisemistic slur during this poo poo was a doozy back in the days.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1357321222896369664

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Numero6 posted:

Hogan saying an antisemistic slur during this poo poo was a doozy back in the days.
I'll be the one to ask - what was the slur?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0v1I_-ys

I should upload this video myself since I have to keep it in my Favorites as there's no way I'd ever remember this title.

Also Sting gives zero fucks.

Years and years ago on this forum, someone posted a recap for a Nitro containing Lex Luger's funeral and asked if any had it, I quickly scanned through the Nitro shows I had and hastily went through the show on Movie Maker to get it up on Youtube. As I was watching it, I realised Sting casually batting Hogan and then meandering out was DIRECTLY after that batshit segment and left it in the vid too. WCW truly was the best of us.

Also before the segment, Seven cuts a promo on Tony Schiavone from his spooky window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ15JYQ5gA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I'll be the one to ask - what was the slur?

I'm not sure it's a slur as much as it's incredibly bizarre and offensive but I believe he is referring to the camera man as a "Jiggly, Jiggly Jew."

I have never heard anyone other than Hogan say this.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not sure it's a slur as much as it's incredibly bizarre and offensive but I believe he is referring to the camera man as a "Jiggly, Jiggly Jew."

I have never heard anyone other than Hogan say this.

Hulk Hogan is a revolutionary, whether it be reinventing the sport of wrestling by tragically murdering Andre the Giant in from of 500,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs, or creating levels of racism us simple folk just can't possible comprehend.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Raeg posted:

Hulk Hogan is a revolutionary, whether it be reinventing the sport of wrestling by tragically murdering Andre the Giant in from of 500,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs, or creating levels of racism us simple folk just can't possible comprehend.

I notice you forgot that he invented the idea of wrestlers coming out to music...

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

I notice you forgot that he invented the idea of wrestlers coming out to music...

Anyone got any clips of Hogan's Pride days?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Raeg posted:

Tbh given what a racist sack of poo poo he is I’m surprised he’s an ally

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Raeg posted:

Tape doesnt exist of it, because he delivered a right high kick to the undertakers forehead that was so powerful it shattered the lenses all cameras in japan.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

BROUGHT TO YOU BY TOY BOYZ GRIP N FLIP

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SiKboy posted:

Tape doesnt exist of it, because he delivered a right high kick to the undertakers forehead that was so powerful it shattered the lenses all cameras in japan.

Was that before or after the shoot Tombstone Piledriver?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Goldberg performed a shoot Jackhammer and I don't know how to accept that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Was that before or after the shoot Tombstone Piledriver?

Before that but after he shoot slammed Andre

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

In one of the Nitro retro shows from around this time, Vinny just has the best time ever because it's so blatant Tony an Bobby have given up. Apparently they just ignore everything happening and spend the whole show snapping at each other.

It sounded beautiful.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It came up earlier, but I am in full agreement that 2000 WCW > 1999 WCW, solely because of "IT'S THE WALL, BROTHER! HEY WALL!"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

1999 WCW is probably worse because it's bad and boring. At least 2000 WCW has stuff you can laugh at. 1999 feels more loosely thought out and a slog to get through.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

2000 WCW starts off a bit poo poo, with the nWo2000 stuff carried over from the previous year, but the wheels go flying off early.

I'd also credit them for bringing in new people midway through the year, even if it was done out of necessity. It might not have worked out like they'd hoped, but they weren't going to die wondering.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

You are supposed to say the whole word so I'd count it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Goldberg's new music when he comes back in 99 sucks compared to his original.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vagabundo posted:

It came up earlier, but I am in full agreement that 2000 WCW > 1999 WCW, solely because of "IT'S THE WALL, BROTHER! HEY WALL!"

I would say because of the entire 2000 Spring Break out because the whole thing is great not just that moment.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My god. Berlyn's tron video is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3I-lVxgN5c

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

when u watch 1 Front Line Assembly video

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

When was the Nitro(I think?) match where Bobby Heenan spends the entire match laughing his arse off because Tony suggested that Hacksaw Jim Duggan was an educated smart fellow?

Coz that is classic Heenan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

When was the Nitro(I think?) match where Bobby Heenan spends the entire match laughing his arse off because Tony suggested that Hacksaw Jim Duggan was an educated smart fellow?

Coz that is classic Heenan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

It's an episode of Saturday Night

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Only thing I really remember between Starrcade '98 and '99 was DDP winning the title and turning (sorta) heel. Oh, and there was one time I flipped over to TNT for the hell of it and saw Hogan back in the Hulkamania gimmick in front of a half-empty arena. 1999 WWF was total nonsense but the crowds were at least white hot for it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

Why did WCW never hire people who were good at making video packages? They were always like 30 steps behind WWF.

Always have big love for Berlyn, though. I loved Alex Wright for some reason and also wore finger armor when I was a goth (in high school).

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Only thing I really remember between Starrcade '98 and '99 was DDP winning the title and turning (sorta) heel. Oh, and there was one time I flipped over to TNT for the hell of it and saw Hogan back in the Hulkamania gimmick in front of a half-empty arena. 1999 WWF was total nonsense but the crowds were at least white hot for it.

Who could forget the overwhelming force of THE JERSEY TRIAD.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I loved Alex Wright for some reason...

You know the reason.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alaois posted:

when u watch 1 Front Line Assembly video

Yeah it's loving bad rear end!

He'd have been world champion if they licensed Mindphaser.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Why did WCW never hire people who were good at making video packages? They were always like 30 steps behind WWF.

I wonder if they wanted to use the, you know, modern production facilities and expertise of the TV channels they were literally a part of and the TV people said no or if they just never thought about it or thought they didn't need it.

If I listen to my heart, I think I might guess the answer.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah it's loving bad rear end!

He'd have been world champion if they licensed Mindphaser.

the WWE have overplayed the concept of entrance music stingers so much but JESUS HAD DAYS LIKE THIS would be an incredible entrance stinger

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just finished watching The Last Dance and I'm glad WCW managed to get a look in during the (second to?) last episode.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok so I dunno how it was received at the time but Sid's delusional streak is kind of fun. I dont know where it ends but it seems like a great heel gimmick paired against Goldberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok so I dunno how it was received at the time but Sid's delusional streak is kind of fun. I dont know where it ends but it seems like a great heel gimmick paired against Goldberg.

I also forget how it was received at the time, but it kinda irked me that Death of WCW paints it as this serious angle that was part of the downfall instead of just a goofy heel thing to do.