Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

couldcareless posted:

I respect mission space and love how campy the video makes it feel, but my body can't handle that ride anymore.

I rode Mission: Space on my first visit to EPCOT, and thought (simultaneously) "Hey, this is neat." and "I'm going to die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I watched a full walkthrough of Nintendo World and while what is actually there is really great (music, visuals, food, rides, etc. etc.) I can't help but feel like they could/should have done so much more with the IP. For being a "Nintendo" world, there's only Mario (and one tiny instance of Pikmin) characters.

Where's DK, Zelda, Metroid, Splatoon....literally anything else?

I get that Mario is by far the biggest IP (followed closely by Pokémon which I'm sure the Pokémon Company has plans for its own theme park), and that Universal Japan doesn't have the most land to play with, but I can't help but feel just a little disappointed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A kid's run-through play area that's Zelda themed like the old Bugs Bunny play area at Six Flags, except instead of running through giant carrots and whacking them out of the way, it's beating the poo poo out of chickens that can then knock you over.

Truly the most Zelda experience.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Welp, Canada banning cruise ships until 2022. gently caress us and our Alaskan cruise in September, wish we hadn't bought plane tickets already.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Nanigans posted:

I watched a full walkthrough of Nintendo World and while what is actually there is really great (music, visuals, food, rides, etc. etc.) I can't help but feel like they could/should have done so much more with the IP. For being a "Nintendo" world, there's only Mario (and one tiny instance of Pikmin) characters.

Where's DK, Zelda, Metroid, Splatoon....literally anything else?

I get that Mario is by far the biggest IP (followed closely by Pokémon which I'm sure the Pokémon Company has plans for its own theme park), and that Universal Japan doesn't have the most land to play with, but I can't help but feel just a little disappointed.

Donkey Kong is planned next (mine cart coaster that "jumps tracks"). Although I think it was supposed to show up in Orlando first, as part of the land at open. However, with Covid screwing with things, who knows.

Zelda was rumored for other areas in the park.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Clicked back into this thread to pick up where I left off, then switched to another tab and forgot. When I came back again to start reading, I forgot the posts were from 2018 and was wondering why you people aren't worried. Was a pretty wild when I realized.

The post that made me realize said

couldcareless posted:

They just announced they are gonna have Disney cruises from New Orleans in 2020. Hell yeah

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Clicked back into this thread to pick up where I left off, then switched to another tab and forgot. When I came back again to start reading, I forgot the posts were from 2018 and was wondering why you people aren't worried. Was a pretty wild when I realized.

My family went on the inaugural NOLA Disney Cruise in February, exactly 1 year ago Sunday. In hindsight, I can’t believe we still went on the cruise and that they weren’t all canceled. Their pre-check for COVID was to ask if you had flu-like symptoms or had traveled to China in the last two weeks...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

I went and looked at my posts from february 2020 and one of them is quoting someone asking about the train reopening, I think. except it just says "any reopening date?" and me saying "a year or two"

accidentally psychic disneyland reopening post pre-covid closure :aaa:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Nottherealaborn posted:

My family went on the inaugural NOLA Disney Cruise in February, exactly 1 year ago Sunday. In hindsight, I can’t believe we still went on the cruise and that they weren’t all canceled. Their pre-check for COVID was to ask if you had flu-like symptoms or had traveled to China in the last two weeks...

We were on the second or third one out of NOLA. The funny thing is, I think the cruise ship at the time still had more awareness of COVID and better protocols than some local establishments I could visit right now....

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

couldcareless posted:

We were on the second or third one out of NOLA. The funny thing is, I think the cruise ship at the time still had more awareness of COVID and better protocols than some local establishments I could visit right now....
I went on a non-Disney cruise the second week of March -- COVID was here by then, but only a few cases, mostly in Seattle and New York. The entire world changed during the week we were out on that boat, and we were one of the last cruise ships (at least one that didn't have illness on board) to return to port.

The cruise line quickly adapted with sanitizer stations everywhere, no more self-service on the buffets. I'd be happy if that all stayed the same going forward.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cruise lines already had virus protocols way before Covid, when too many cases of stomach issues would pop up, hygiene standards would get improved - up to not letting people self-serve at the buffet. With ships getting bigger and bigger, this has gotten more and more important.

Could very well be we'll be cruising at those heightened sanitation levels as a permanent modus operandi for the foreseeable future.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Post your favorite cursed image

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Empress Brosephine posted:

Uhhhhh that sounds awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

So, do this, but make it over in Avenger's land or whatever they're calling it in DL, let it be a walk through attraction that gets more and more screwy as things go

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Silly Burrito posted:

Uhhhhh that sounds awesome.
I really like WandaVision for what it is, but it's an extremely "now" thing. Theme park attractions already struggle to represent stories like "Spider-Man has to save the city from Dr. Octopus" in a way that will stand the test of time.

Imagine if a revamped Carousel of Progress stays around even a fraction of a time that the current one has. How's it gonna play when there's as much distance between WandaVision and the present day as there was between Iron Man 1 and WandaVision

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Not to mention that the WandaVision show hangs it's hat on the aesthetics of "classic TV" unlike anything since Pleasantville, which was an ironic choice for a streaming service and will seem even sillier in a decade. I'm generally not a fan of stapling IP onto the very few original ideas left in the parks. I have no problem with IP being around, just stop rebranding these old bones. "TRON next to Space Mountain" is better than "TRON Mountain".

EDIT: It could be argued Disneyland itself is an anachronism of this era. I love the place but the last time I sat in a Town Square park bench I dwelled on how this place served for so long as an antidepressant distraction to kid-boomers/Xers facing nuclear annihilation.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 6, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Are Vision and SW part of the Universal deal?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

They're on the meteor, so probably? Assuming the old apocryphal story about that being the list of characters Disney can't use is right.

weirdly, Monica Rambeau is also on there lol

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Do not touch Carousel of Progress. That is all.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Cbear posted:

Do not touch Carousel of Progress. That is all.

Please touch CoP, but only with the love it deserves to continue running and receive necessary, minor updates to remain relevant and functional.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I really like WandaVision, but CoP is like, WALT turned up to 11. You can give it love and update the last scene, but I cant imagine Disney doing anything to an OG Walt ride

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If Disney wants to do little pop-up attractions to cash in on a current thing, that's fine. But to spend millions on a niche TV show that no one will give a poo poo about in a year is not a good idea.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The best part of Carousel of Progress is when it breaks down and they just leave people trapped in it for 45+ minutes

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Just add the extreme heat and extreme cold parts from Test Track and that can be your reimagining of the future at Carousel of Progress

I'm in the camp to move it completely tho

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
They can do whatever they want provided they leave my precious Tiki Room alone

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
flatten the tiki room and make it a dole whip buffet

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

A dole whip buffet Under New Management just to really flip us the bird

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Chainclaw posted:

The best part of Carousel of Progress is when it breaks down and they just leave people trapped in it for 45+ minutes

You can just leave out the doors. They won't like you doing it but they always open.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bottom Liner posted:

ok now all I can picture are kids pulling down the lever of the machine with their mouths directly under it like some sort of Double Dare show

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sure... kids...

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Zero One posted:

You can just leave out the doors. They won't like you doing it but they always open.

If you do this, I'm pretty sure they stop the rotation and have to circle the entire building to check. If they're not back before the next rotation, everyone must watch the same scene again.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If you do this, I'm pretty sure they stop the rotation and have to circle the entire building to check. If they're not back before the next rotation, everyone must watch the same scene again.

Right but if you stuck for 45 minutes it's not rotating...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've got no nostalgia for WDW since my first trip was 2015 but idk what is wrong with y'all. the tiki room and carousel of progress both own.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

I've got no nostalgia for WDW since my first trip was 2015 but idk what is wrong with y'all. the tiki room and carousel of progress both own.

disney dystopia is believing there's a great big beautiful tomorrow then using swagbucks to get to the church that preaches it.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yep, people leaving just keeps making the problem worse

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure... kids...

don't you judge me dammit :colbert:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
If you don't love CoP, I might not be able to convince you otherwise, but maybe Jenny Nicholson can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KeFvjm_hcA

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/meatball_132/status/1358157119351123970?s=21

https://twitter.com/meatball_132/status/1358242734528753666?s=21

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

drat if that isn't crazy uninteresting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah it is. It means that they used unofficial art as a reference and Nintendo is exactly the kinda company that would throw a shitfit over it.