Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I just got scholar's mated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Helianthus Annuus posted:

code:
1. d4 1... d5 2. g3 2... Nf6 3. b3 3... g6 4. Bb2 4... Bg7 5. Bg2 5... c6 6. Nd2 6... Nbd7 7. c4 7... e6 8. Ngf3 8... a6 9. O-O 9... b5 10. cxd5 10... cxd5 11. Ne5 11... Bb7 12. a4 12... O-O 13. axb5 13... axb5 14. Rxa8 14... Qxa8 15. Nxd7 15... Nxd7 16. e4 16... Nb6 17. Re1 17... Rc8 18. b4 18... Qa2 19. Qb1 19... Qxb1 20. Rxb1 20... Nc4 21. Nf3 21... Nxb2 22. Rxb2 22... Rc1+ 23. Bf1 23... dxe4 24. Ng5 24... Bxd4 25. Rd2 25... Bf6 26. Rd8+ 26... Bxd8 27. Nxe4 27... Bxe4 28. f3 28... Bd3 29. Kf2 29... Bb6+ 30. Kg2 30... Bxf1+ 31. Kh1 31... Bh3# 0-1
i played the black pieces in this game... my first goof was on move 16, when i could have taken the pawn with 16... dxe4. Instead, i defended my d pawn with the knight :rolleyes:

how can i get better at recognizing these opportunities? im always forgetting about bishops in the corners.

When you move a bishop onto the long diagonal, make a mental note that it would become much more powerful if the diagonal is opened up. That way you will always be on the lookout for possible exchanges or pushes. Most of the time when I miss an obvious tactic it's because I put the pieces in place for some other reason and never considered all of the possible uses.

I've also been told that putting all of your pawns on same colored squares in the opening is somewhat questionable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Promethium posted:

I've also been told that putting all of your pawns on same colored squares in the opening is somewhat questionable.

It makes it real easy to identify your good bishop, trade it off, then shove knights into your position that are nearly impossible to evict. Only takes one instance of that to make you think long and hard about pushing pawns at the right time

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
If you immediately put all your pawns on e.g. dark squares, if you still have your dark squared bishop it probably sucks rear end. See, for example, the habitual problems with the "French" bishop where black's c8-bishop gets stuck behind the e6 and d5 pawns. Another thing is that your opposite-coloured squares can also become extremely weak if you let the bishop covering them get traded off (see how, against the Dutch-Stonewall, white works to trade the bishops on d6).

The overarching reason is that every pawn move is an irreversible commitment, and so every pawn move you make without concern for your position is a careless commitment and you can easily get punished for them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

former glory posted:

I just got scholar's mated.

owned lol

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Carbolic posted:

Speaking of plugging local chess club events:

https://www.facebook.com/events/418935839558960/

This coming Monday, February 8th, at 7:30pm Eastern time, Toronto's Annex Chess Club will be having its weekly COVID Blitz 3+2 arena tournament on chess.com, with a number of titled players confirmed to join including GM Razvan Preotu. Last time they invited titled players, I got my rear end kicked a couple of times by an IM, maybe if I am lucky I will get to lose to a GM this time.

More players are always welcome so if you have time on Monday evening, please drop in.

https://www.chess.com/play/arena/898320 is the link. If for some reason that doesn't work the day of, check the club site at http://annexchessclub.com/ and they'll have an updated link.

A reminder-plug that this is tonight.

We usually have a variety of players of different strengths show up to the weekly tournament. If you are more at a beginner level then please don't let the presence of titled players be intimidating, you can just come and play some blitz and there should be some people of comparable strength to play against.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I used to play at Annex Chess Club every Monday. It was on Bathurst just north of Bloor at the time.

This was 8-9 years ago before I moved away - this thread seems to have its fair share of Toronto and Ex-Toronto goons.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Apsyrtes posted:

I used to play at Annex Chess Club every Monday. It was on Bathurst just north of Bloor at the time.

This was 8-9 years ago before I moved away - this thread seems to have its fair share of Toronto and Ex-Toronto goons.

East or West corner?

The second floor on the east side, diagonal from Honest Ed's (rip), I know that space pretty well. It would be quite the coincidence were it to be in, or have been in, the same space.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

13 losses today. Why brain like dis

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

East or West corner?

The second floor on the east side, diagonal from Honest Ed's (rip), I know that space pretty well. It would be quite the coincidence were it to be in, or have been in, the same space.

West side of Bathurst, couple blocks north of Bloor - specifically, 918 Bathurst - some arts centre that felt like it used to be a church. I believe it is where the club started.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Apsyrtes posted:

West side of Bathurst, couple blocks north of Bloor - specifically, 918 Bathurst - some arts centre that felt like it used to be a church. I believe it is where the club started.

Yeah it started in the converted church. It’s now in a horrible basement a block or two west on Bloor, south side of the street. I’ve been to the new location once and absolutely hated it. The old location may have had some trouble with lighting but at least there was space.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah it started in the converted church. It’s now in a horrible basement a block or two west on Bloor, south side of the street. I’ve been to the new location once and absolutely hated it. The old location may have had some trouble with lighting but at least there was space.

The basement is indeed not good. I joined right as they were leaving their Bathurst location and it definitely feels like there has been a dropoff in attendance because of the new location. It sounds like there were logistical reasons that made the Bathurst location difficult but the basement is less than ideal. During COVID they have discontinued the basement lease and I know there is some consideration of going back to Bathurst when the pandemic is over.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Apsyrtes posted:

Oh that place, cool!

Carbolic posted:

The basement is indeed not good. I joined right as they were leaving their Bathurst location and it definitely feels like there has been a dropoff in attendance because of the new location. It sounds like there were logistical reasons that made the Bathurst location difficult but the basement is less than ideal. During COVID they have discontinued the basement lease and I know there is some consideration of going back to Bathurst when the pandemic is over.

Hope you make it back.

Similarly Calgary are considering leaving the space in the far northeast in some strip mall and returning to the city's core to take advantage of the historic dirt cheap vacancy as the oil patch has been gutted in recent years. Since all of our transit routes through the core that will make it very convenient for all. (If you aren't aware, Calgary has one of the largest footprints of any single city in NA, and depending on where you live it can take a very long time to get to the more remote corners. Its kind of a model of urban sprawl.) I told the president to see what it would cost to get the naming rights of the Husky Tower :D

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Hi everyone, new to the thread

Did I miss some meme poo poo this week? I've had like 5 games this week that are all Ruy Lopez - Exchange Variation as black.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Hi everyone, new to the thread

Did I miss some meme poo poo this week? I've had like 5 games this week that are all Ruy Lopez - Exchange Variation as black.

they're punishing you for not playing the Sicilian haha

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lol I would play these

https://twitter.com/twoscooters/status/1359663550130761729

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chess.com's mobile app isn't finding games for me anymore, is this an issue for anyone else?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Hi all,

I'm looking to read something about the history of chess. Both on how the game rules were developed and changed, the major figures in its history, and how strategy progressed over the centuries. I like reading about theorycrafting as to who the greatest players from various era's were and how they might have competed with each other.

Thanks

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

Hi all,

I'm looking to read something about the history of chess. Both on how the game rules were developed and changed, the major figures in its history, and how strategy progressed over the centuries. I like reading about theorycrafting as to who the greatest players from various era's were and how they might have competed with each other.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Great-Chess-Games/dp/4871875326

I got this book many years ago, written by GM and former U.S. champ Reuben Fine. It's structured around games but there are mini bios of the various champs. It extends from Steinitz up until Fischer because the book was written right after Fischer won the world title and just around the time he dropped out of chess entirely, and it's very good IMO.

I don't know if there are more modern books of this type that cover Kasparov, Anand and Carlsen also.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

kaesarsosei posted:

Hi all,

Thanks

its an interesting topic, i wrote a paper on it when i was in school. after using wikipedia to refresh my memory, here's my summary:

The earliest known ancestor of Chess is an ancient Indian board game called Chaturanga, attested as early as the 7th century. But we don't know the exact rules of this game -- in particular, we don't know the rules for moving the "Elephant" (analogous to the Bishop).

A more recent ancestor of Chess is a Persian game called Shatranj, which we think was played starting in the 8th century. We know more about the rules to this one -- some interesting differences to modern chess: The "Elephant" could move exactly two squares diagonally, jumping over other pieces. The "Ferz" (analogous to the Queen) could only move one square diagonally. Also, castling doesn't exist yet, and the pawns can't move two squares on their first move, like in modern Chess. The Knights and Rooks move the same as in modern chess.

Modern chess developed in and around Europe from the 13th century onward. There were several rule changes over the years, and the there were regional differences too -- even up until the 19th century. The modern ruleset crystalized around this time, and regional rule variations mostly disappeared.

There's lots more to dig into here. There's several books to read in the wikipedia article's references section: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chess#References

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Where do xiangqi and shogi fit in? The two diagonal is still in the former, and slow moves in both.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Remember that there is a credible hypothesis that the queen changed from moving a square at a time to moving the full length of the board because the rules of chess were primarily transmitted by incredibly horny poetry.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hand Knit posted:

Remember that there is a credible hypothesis that the queen changed from moving a square at a time to moving the full length of the board because the rules of chess were primarily transmitted by incredibly horny poetry.

I thought she changed in Spain, in honour of Queen Isabella?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chamale posted:

Those do not seem remotely incompatible.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I found The Immortal Game by David Shenk was a great read on the history of chess.

The series My Great Predecessors by Garry Kasparov has a lot of great information on all the past world champs and other notable players. It compares their playing styles and shows how chess strategy & approach developed over the course of time from Anderssen through to Karpov. Lots of games to study too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

That's the move from the piece being called a 'vizier' (or some other advisor) to queen. I also seem to remember, though it's been a while since I've read the book, that the shift probably happened a bit earlier than Isabella.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Apsyrtes posted:

I found The Immortal Game by David Shenk was a great read on the history of chess.

The series My Great Predecessors by Garry Kasparov has a lot of great information on all the past world champs and other notable players. It compares their playing styles and shows how chess strategy & approach developed over the course of time from Anderssen through to Karpov. Lots of games to study too.

I have read bits of the Fischer one and the "Spassky" one and they are both great.

The "Spassky" one is great because he just goes on wierd side tangents with players for a few games before returning to say, Petrosian.

(Spassky in air quotes because it covers that whole pre Fischer era but had Spassky on the cover from memory)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Where do xiangqi and shogi fit in? The two diagonal is still in the former, and slow moves in both.

i think they branched off from chaturanga before shatranj did

by the way, i see other sources that say chaturanga is much older than the 7th century. i'm really not sure just how old it is!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

thats funny to think about! im not sure why the rule change happened, but its clear that chess used to be a much slower game than it is today

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thats funny to think about! im not sure why the rule change happened, but its clear that chess used to be a much slower game than it is today

When queens could only move one square at a time, the game just naturally took a lot longer. Yalom talks about this in the context of chess being something young nobles used as an excuse for trysts. "We're busy all day, don't bother us." It's also apparent in when Saudi clerics consulted medieval texts to render a verdict on the ethical permissibility of chess. (Their gambling verdict also tracks that chess used to be played with dice, both to speed up the game and make it more 'exciting'.)

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
This is an interesting piece about tactics and thought process: Tactics, Fast and Slow

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

kaesarsosei posted:

Hi all,

Thanks

If you're interested in modern chess history, I highly recommend Yasser Seirawan's Chess Duels : My Games with the World Champions. It's the most entertaining chess book I've ever read.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What are the best sites for correspondence chess? I'm going to try to get a ladder going at work.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I only use chess.com nowadays. There are others like redhotpawn but their UIs are a bit too old for my liking.

Lichess has correspondence also, but no matchmaking.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Getting my Lichess puzzle ranking close to 2000 now, and I'm still amused by the scoring and the angles used.

Spotting a one move checkmate: You're a fuckin' genius mate, that was worth like 15 points!!

Missing an elaborate 8 move sequence: Eh, don't sweat it, that puzzle was worth like -3 points.

Crafting a sequence where the enemy Queen is forcibly traded for my Rook: You FOOL. You goddamned IMBECILE. Incredibly unoptimal. You could have only lost a Bishop instead of a Rook.

--

Anyway in other news I finally hit 1300 in Lichess! And when I do play on Chess.com, I'm inching closer to 900...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Entered an open tournament on chess dot com and have babby's first match against a titled opponent. I mean I still get shellacked by anyone over about 1500 so it'll just be a special kind of obliteration.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Artelier posted:

Getting my Lichess puzzle ranking close to 2000 now, and I'm still amused by the scoring and the angles used
My puzzle rating jumped 💯 points with the new system too. Making me feel real big-brained.
I still stuck at chess though

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Esposito posted:

My puzzle rating jumped 💯 points with the new system too. Making me feel real big-brained.
I still stuck at chess though

:same:

Just did the first section of Silman's Endgame course for newbies and I have already learned some things. Is very good!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm not playing any more 10 minute games until I get my poo poo in order. I've been in a winning position 3 times this week and lose because I have slow old man brain and run out of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
It's just hard to come by longer games. I wonder how many people on lichess actually play the classical time controls.