Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inceltown posted:

Why are they charging you to swap phones, can't you just take your SIM out of one phone and put it in another? The carrier shouldn't have anything to do with this. Full disclosure I'm not from the USA and is how it would happen here.

I think they have their phones locked to the carrier there. It's some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I don't know, I don't have the tool to open up the iPhone and just swap the sim. They charged $20 just to switch from the iPhone to the Android. I assumed they would just charge another $20 to switch back to the iPhone which is bullshit enough on its own. I barely use voice, I don't really use text, and I can use wifi at home/work/most places I go. It's such bullshit.

colas fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 5, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

value-brand cereal posted:

Can the discord admins see if I searched for a word or a user? And can they see or restore deleted messages? For context I'm in a gaming group and some of the members are starting to reveal some CHUDy sentiments and I'd like to clean out any personal identification info before bowing out. I had been in this server for about a year and a half and have a fair amount to shift through. I don't know if this is a stupid idea to attempt, honestly.

It's definitely possible to view deleted messages.
I doubt anyone but Discord themselves can see what you searched for though.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I don't see that messages have been deleted in my server unless I'm using a third-party program, and even then it just says 'Deleted'. I definitely can't see user searches.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Can that foil that comes with burritos and shawarma be used to reheat in the oven? It's like aluminum on the outside, paper on the inside. I got a burrito last night but didn't eat it and stuck it in the fridge unwrapped.

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 5, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Everett False posted:

I don't see that messages have been deleted in my server unless I'm using a third-party program, and even then it just says 'Deleted'. I definitely can't see user searches.

A friend made a discord bot for her server that posts the text of the most recently deleted message, so that functionality exists somewhere in the Discord API even if there isn't a button for it in the UI.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

colas posted:

I don't know, I don't have the tool to open up the iPhone and just swap the sim. They charged $20 just to switch from the iPhone to the Android. I assumed they would just charge another $20 to switch back to the iPhone which is bullshit enough on its own. I barely use voice, I don't really use text, and I can use wifi at home/work/most places I go. It's such bullshit.

You didn't have a paperclip/earring stud/push pin?

What country/carrier are you with

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what is happening physiologically when i’m depressed and both my wrists get sharp, intense pains

it seems to come in waves when i’m crying especially

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I went to boot up a blu ray on my ancient laptop. It’s not connected to the internet because it has no antivirus as I only use it to watch DVDs and Blu Ray’s now. It says that it needs to update the software to play blu rays (it’s never done that before but I haven’t used this device in literal years). Two questions, if I plug in the internet just log enough to update will I be OK, and two I have a PS4 and am not planning on getting next gens as I moved strictly to PC gaming. I use my PS4 as my blu ray player in the den. Is it going to eventually have this problem, too, say, if Sony just stops supporting it?

For what it's worth, the PS3 received a new firmware update in December of 2020 which included additional bluray software update to support newer movies. For reference, the PS3 first released in 2006, the PS4 released in late-2013, and the final PS3s were shipped in 2016 in North America and mid-2017 in Japan. So North American software update is still going strong more than four years after the product was discontinued here and at least five to six years after it was back-burnered by Sony.

Throughout both of their lives, Playstation 3 and 4 have been really well supported with respect to blu-rays, which makes sense when you realize that they have a huge install base and a continued incentive for system software updates from the manufacturer. I'd wager that your PS4 will break before it stops playing newly-released blurays.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I’m on mobile so I can’t search the forum very well, I’m looking for either a landscaping or general homeowner thread. I’ve never cut a tree down and want to make sure I don’t mess up.

E: Thanks for the quick reply

Auxiliary Treats fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 5, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Auxiliary Treats posted:

I’m on mobile so I can’t search the forum very well, I’m looking for either a landscaping or general homeowner thread. I’ve never cut a tree down and want to make sure I don’t mess up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

value-brand cereal posted:

Can the discord admins see if I searched for a word or a user? And can they see or restore deleted messages? For context I'm in a gaming group and some of the members are starting to reveal some CHUDy sentiments and I'd like to clean out any personal identification info before bowing out. I had been in this server for about a year and a half and have a fair amount to shift through. I don't know if this is a stupid idea to attempt, honestly.

same question but LinkedIn

i feel like they notify you for literally everything. If I so much as look at someone's profile will it notify them?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

i feel like they notify you for literally everything. If I so much as look at someone's profile will it notify them?
Yes it will. If they have "premium" or whatever, they get:
"Who’s Viewed Your Profile
See who’s viewed you in the last 90 days and how they found you"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Alan Smithee posted:

same question but LinkedIn

There are settings that let you be more private, but you'll never get more information about who's viewing your profile than you give.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a way to change my desktop calendar to the French Revolutionary calendar?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

You know those makeup towels whose whole deal is being super soft? How am I supposed to wash them so they actually stay soft? If I just throw them in with the regular towels they get really rough and abrasive after only a few washes.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!

Poldarn posted:

I got a lordship of Sealand as a christmas present and I enjoyed it immensely. If purchasing nobility is something your interested in, I'd recommending researching the philosophies of each organization. Sealand is pretty much thumbing their nose at English nobility, because if I can make titles, how legitimate are historical English titles? Someone had to make it all up at some point, why can't I?

My dad has a Glencoe Lairdship which is more of a Scottish heritage thing, but he visited there and liked it so he's got more of a connection to it.
Yeah, that's the general idea. I'd like a county for fun -- not for any other reason -- and Sealand fascinates me for some bizarre reason. The Grand Duchy of Pomerania and Livonia is just so damned transparently fake, whereas Sealand seems to be something, even if that something is just a massive joke at the expense of the English. A county isn't much money -- $347.49, with all the trimmings. I could buy it now, or I could save up my mad money for two or three months and cover it then, feeling even less bad at the expense.

When I was a kid, we had an island that I declared myself the prince of. If I ever get another, I'd be the grand duke of it. Never wanted to be a king -- that title never appealed to me.

An absolute waste of money that could go towards a better cause, I agree, but I waste money enough on garbage and this would fleetingly make me happy.

PersonFromPorlock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 7, 2021

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Everett False posted:

You know those makeup towels whose whole deal is being super soft? How am I supposed to wash them so they actually stay soft? If I just throw them in with the regular towels they get really rough and abrasive after only a few washes.

Don't use fabric softener and don't dry using heat?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Everett False posted:

My wife has a couple of them and just washes them with towels/sheets and hers have stayed really soft.

Do you have hard water? Do you use hot water to wash towels? How often do you wash them?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Yeah, that's the general idea. I'd like a county for fun -- not for any other reason -- and Sealand fascinates me for some bizarre reason. The Grand Duchy of Pomerania and Livonia is just so damned transparently fake, whereas Sealand seems to be something, even if that something is just a massive joke at the expense of the English. A county isn't much money -- $347.49, with all the trimmings. I could buy it now, or I could save up my mad money for two or three months and cover it then, feeling even less bad at the expense.

When I was a kid, we had an island that I declared myself the prince of. If I ever get another, I'd be the grand duke of it. Never wanted to be a king -- that title never appealed to me.

An absolute waste of money that could go towards a better cause, I agree, but I waste money enough on garbage and this would fleetingly make me happy.

It’s been empirically shown that experiences tend to cause greater fluctuations in happiness than things, so make it an experience. If you have friends and loved ones who are willing to play along, make a day of it (COVID restrictions permitting of course). Make yourself a wooden scepter and read out a proclamation of your ascension in a party or even just to a room full of stuffed animals, and wrap the day up with your favorite meal. Write down the date and be sure to do an anniversary celebration each year. Yes it’s a little frivolous but for example I didn’t need to buy that video game console either and that cost more than what you’re looking at spending.

If you can afford this, and it is meaningful to you, then go for it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Everett False posted:

If you have hard water, add don't vinegar or similar acid to the washer. And throw a couple of tennis balls in the dryer with them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I know when you go skiing and such you’re supposed to wear sunscreen and sunglasses because of the sunlight reflected off the snow.

I live across the street from a big park, which gets covered with snow in the winter. Do I need to put UV filters on my windows or something for the sunlight reflected off the snow in the park?

If it matters, my windows onto the park face north.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Badger of Basra posted:

I know when you go skiing and such you’re supposed to wear sunscreen and sunglasses because of the sunlight reflected off the snow.

I live across the street from a big park, which gets covered with snow in the winter. Do I need to put UV filters on my windows or something for the sunlight reflected off the snow in the park?

If it matters, my windows onto the park face north.

Glass is UV blocking

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

dupersaurus posted:

Glass is UV blocking

Then how come my arm gets sunburnt during long rides in the car?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also it's not just because the sun is reflected by the snow, but more importantly, that when you're skiing you're generally high up in the mountains so there's a lot less atmosphere between you and the sun. A lot more UV reaches you than it would at sea level.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

timp posted:

Then how come my arm gets sunburnt during long rides in the car?

The windshield is laminated and blocks most UV.

The side windows are tempered and only block two‐thirds of UV-A.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Who makes a nice nonstick pan?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

Who makes a nice nonstick pan?

T fal is a pretty good cheap teflon pan. Any teflon pan will have a finite life though so there's no reason to go fancy on them.

Anodized aluminum is nice and lasts longer / doesn't deposit teflon in your stomach, I've enjoyed the basic calphalon ones

Then of course there's cast iron, which takes some work to make / maintain non stickness but will last a lifetime

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If I'm a 26 year old man working from home (Mortgage Pipeline) with HFA/Aspergers and no drivers license, how hosed am I if I can't find a date soon, in this pandemic? Tinder isn't working out. What would be good alternatives to tinder if I can't get a match there without paying $70?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Quabzor posted:

My wife has a couple of them and just washes them with towels/sheets and hers have stayed really soft.

Do you have hard water? Do you use hot water to wash towels? How often do you wash them?

poo poo, it's probably the well water doing it, then. We have enough towels that we basically wash them all together in cold water every two weeks, no softeners or anything. I thought maybe there was something about makeup and jojoba oil making my fancy face towels go lovely super-fast. I kept seeing reviews from people who said they just toss theirs and buy new ones whenever they lose their softness and that felt super wasteful to me. I'll try an extended vinegar soak before their next wash, hopefully that'll do the trick.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Grouchio posted:

If I'm a 26 year old man working from home (Mortgage Pipeline) with HFA/Aspergers and no drivers license, how hosed am I if I can't find a date soon, in this pandemic? Tinder isn't working out. What would be good alternatives to tinder if I can't get a match there without paying $70?

There's an online dating thread over E/N if you need some pointers on creating a profile or a profile critique. I personally would just say gently caress it and not even bother with online dating, but I'm basically a bitter husk who's given up on finding love in my lifetime.

We're a year almost a year deep into this loving pandemic and nobody is particularly thrilled about it in my experience. Do you really need a car/driver's license in your area? I haven't owned a car in 10 years and just ride my bike everywhere I need to go like the poor person I am. Just be honest, forthcoming, and try not to come across as desperate. "I NEED a date" is not a good look or endearing in my experience, so don't do that is my advice. The thread in E/N will probably be more helpful and insightful though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Grouchio posted:

Tinder isn't working out. What would be good alternatives to tinder if I can't get a match there without paying $70?

I hear good things about Hinge from a lot of people. Distant second is Bumble.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Grouchio posted:

dog nougat posted:

There's an online dating thread over E/N if you need some pointers on creating a profile or a profile critique. I personally would just say gently caress it and not even bother with online dating, but I'm basically a bitter husk who's given up on finding love in my lifetime.

We're a year almost a year deep into this loving pandemic and nobody is particularly thrilled about it in my experience. Do you really need a car/driver's license in your area? I haven't owned a car in 10 years and just ride my bike everywhere I need to go like the poor person I am. Just be honest, forthcoming, and try not to come across as desperate. "I NEED a date" is not a good look or endearing in my experience, so don't do that is my advice. The thread in E/N will probably be more helpful and insightful though.

What this one said op.

You'll want to post in the dating thread because it will be helpful if you can post about what you are doing now and why you feel like you'll be SOL if you don't find a date soon, and then you can get more detailed feedback from the users there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I'd say you're very much not hosed? Both in a literal and metaphorical sense. This is more of an E/N thing, but the short version is to not worry about it. Having dates is not essential for anything.

Your best bet is inventing somewhere where you'll meet women, a hobby of some kind. Make sure it's something you want to do and preferably obsess a bit over, but it doesn't hurt to think of something other than wanky metal guitar where the odds of meeting women are low. My friend has super good experience with knitting, especially in public, but he's also kinda hot. Join some local communities on Facebook, that sort of stuff.

What I'm also saying is, remember to be someone who someone else would want to date.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Don't invite plague-bearing strangers into your home in the middle of a pandemic just because you're horny, OP

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Don't invite plague-bearing strangers into your home in the middle of a pandemic just because you're horny, OP

Actually 2 years of extreme loneliness and isolation from working at home during the time this pandemic will last are very real problems and may well be more harmful than covid itself for an otherwise healthy young man and should be treated properly and taken seriously.

Hth

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Get a cat and/or dog

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Get a cat and/or dog

Uhhhhh

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Pet minks are right out though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Yeah, that's the general idea. I'd like a county for fun -- not for any other reason -- and Sealand fascinates me for some bizarre reason. The Grand Duchy of Pomerania and Livonia is just so damned transparently fake, whereas Sealand seems to be something, even if that something is just a massive joke at the expense of the English. A county isn't much money -- $347.49, with all the trimmings.

i dont really understand the difference in appeal between buying a title in a pre-established unrecognized state for $347.49 vs simply founding your own unrecognized state and declaring yourself whatever title you want for free.

i mean yes all nationalisms are founded upon a bedrock of lies and all that but a title granted by sealand or pomerania would be no more "real" than a title granted to you by yourself. seems more like a joke at the expense of people who pay for these things rather than "the english"