Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Waffle! posted:

A friend of mine thinks he had Covid last month, because he was bedridden sick for a week and then got better. I don't think that's how it works...

That's how it works for about 30-60% of people yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

It's now 12h since my second Moderna shot. In addition to an armache (similar but maybe a bit stronger compared to the first shot) I also have a slight headache that I medicated. Just chilling in bed and taking it easy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lolie posted:

It's kind of amusing that there was such a massive push against SARS-CoV-2 being labelled in a manner which connected it with Wuhan but the media is generally referring to the variants by the location in which they were first detected.

Very true. But Trump 100% openly called it the China Virus purely from racism and hatred. He wanted to make sure everyone should blame them and that it's all China's fault that we're dying.

He's a horrible human being.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What are you supposed to do in Pandemix when everyone is rolling out a preventative and some countries are cleared with closed borders? Just restart?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jokes posted:

What are you supposed to do in Pandemix when everyone is rolling out a preventative and some countries are cleared with closed borders? Just restart?

The real victory was the numbers we made along the way.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Question for you guys who are no doubt following the news closer than me...

Is Pfizer's "95% effective & zero instances of severe covid/death" data holding true now that there are millions of vaccinated people?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

It's kind of amusing that there was such a massive push against SARS-CoV-2 being labelled in a manner which connected it with Wuhan but the media is generally referring to the variants by the location in which they were first detected.

:v:

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
So I'm going to need to go in to see a doctor for a couple of follow-ups in the next couple of weeks and my partner is kind of pushing me to move into a hotel during the time I need to go in + five day waiting period and pending the receipt of a negative test. Are there any hotel chains that are doing a particularly good job or have modified HVAC systems to help protect against any spread? Also, since I'll be working from home/hotel, it would need to have decently fast internet and a fridge and such. Maybe an extended stay would be better?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Consider staying in a motel to avoid interior corridors, both so you don’t have to walk through them and also so they cannot act as conduits for ærosols, as they did in that Australian quarantine hotel recently.

Don’t quote me on this as true for every motel in the world, but generally each room has its own HVAC unit and doesn’t share air with any other room.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm going to help out with vaccinations next Wednesday near Milwaukee. I have no idea what I'll be doing yet but :rip: me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I ordered another mask today so I have another color to choose from and am less likely to be stuck leaving my only good mask in the wrong car. I already bought more replaceable filters for my existing mask so I should be pretty set for a while. Although I might order even more filters at some point out of an excess of caution - I'd hate for them to run out or the company go under before I got more filters, although that latter doesn't seem likely any time soon. They are making a good product and there is definitely demand.

I'm hoping these masks will also be good if we have another round of wildfires, and might try them against pollen, too.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Mr_Companie posted:

Check appointments in the outlying counties, sometimes there are cancellations. My mom was able to get my grandpa and two aunts appointments in the last two days, I think one in Alameda and two in Contra Costa counties. Washington Hospital and Haller's Pharmacy in Fremont are the non-kaiser facilities I've heard of accepting appointments.

Parents are scheduled for Sun/Mon shots via Kaiser now (redwood city, I think). Woo hoo!

Also a friend in Portland who's a HCP giving shots/taking swabs got his second Moderna shot today.

And I got my prehistoric Goldwing running, so I want for nothing.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

William Munny posted:

So I'm going to need to go in to see a doctor for a couple of follow-ups in the next couple of weeks and my partner is kind of pushing me to move into a hotel during the time I need to go in + five day waiting period and pending the receipt of a negative test. Are there any hotel chains that are doing a particularly good job or have modified HVAC systems to help protect against any spread? Also, since I'll be working from home/hotel, it would need to have decently fast internet and a fridge and such. Maybe an extended stay would be better?

Hilton brand does a pretty good job. I’ve needed to stay a few times in a hotel this year and havent seen anyone that works there not wear a mask + face shield. Even shitstain county MO I saw the front clerk yell at people and threaten to kick them out for not wearing a mask.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Depends on the franchise too. I worked for anti-maskers as a front-end manager until I quit in September.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I have a friend who's kid just got type 1 diabetes at age 4.

Then that article came out stating there's could be a relationship between getting covid and having a damaged pancreas.

Stay safe goons.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm hoping these masks will also be good if we have another round of wildfires, and might try them against pollen, too.

I started wearing a KN95 mask while clearing out an old archives room at work, which has stuff that hasn't been touched since 2009. It works great.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I went to get some takeout tonight and they were so busy I had to park further from the building than I ever have. It's like there's two different planes of existence right now and I can't imagine being on the one that feels comfortable enough to go eat in a packed, "socially distanced" restaurant. It's just a tiny rear end dining room filled with other people there's no way to make that a safe experience. On my way out a couple was going in with sparkley gift bags that looked like for a baby shower or something. The italian restaurant/bar I pass on my way home didn't have an open parking spot in their entire lot. It's just so goddamn disheartening.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

explosivo posted:

I went to get some takeout tonight and they were so busy I had to park further from the building than I ever have. It's like there's two different planes of existence right now and I can't imagine being on the one that feels comfortable enough to go eat in a packed, "socially distanced" restaurant. It's just a tiny rear end dining room filled with other people there's no way to make that a safe experience. On my way out a couple was going in with sparkley gift bags that looked like for a baby shower or something. The italian restaurant/bar I pass on my way home didn't have an open parking spot in their entire lot. It's just so goddamn disheartening.

No inside dining here - take-out or delivery only. I miss it but holy hell has it made me realize how much I spent on eating out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

SchnorkIes posted:

Fomite spread always seems like an excuse to not admit it's airborne

I've always wondered why this is such a sticking point - the Australian government has generally been pretty good but is apparently allergic to the word "airborne" - and I suppose the answer is that once you acknowledge it is, you can no longer pretend that while there's community transmission it's "safe" to have people indoors in groups for any length of time, so you can't open schools, permit indoor dining etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If hospitals acknowledge it, they have to give everyone real PPE and that could cost as much as two dollars per day.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

explosivo posted:

A few days ago I drove by this boxing gym with big glass windows showing probably 30 people inside a small studio in a grid layout separated only by heavy bags (the things boxers practice on) and all I could imagine was the cloud of virus hanging in the air as they were all working out. The restaurants in the same area were packed with people too. This is in an area still averaging hundreds of cases a day.

I can imagine in the future there will be an ongoing conflict. On one side the people who end up needing constant care/accommodation because they have long term chronic symptoms from covid and on the other side those who avoided getting the disease by isolating themselves for more than a year. People who were isolated from their loved ones will wonder why they should help people who recklessly ignored precautions and ended up sick.

Unfortunately the reckless people will be in a lucky position because there will be no way to distinguish them from the many people who caught covid because they had no choice but to be in dangerous situations due to the lack of government support in the US for people to stay home.

It's sort of frustrating knowing that the people recklessly propagating the pandemic will probably not face any consequences for it. The business owners suing to keep businesses open and their workers in danger. The churches suing to overturn health regulations preventing them from holding superspreader events. The government officials refusing to provide people the support they need to stay safe or even actively working against the implementation of public health measures. And yes the assholes who just have to have large gatherings or eat in restaurants in the middle of a goddamned pandemic.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

7of7 posted:

It's sort of frustrating knowing that the people recklessly propagating the pandemic will probably not face any consequences for it. The business owners suing to keep businesses open and their workers in danger. The churches suing to overturn health regulations preventing them from holding superspreader events. The government officials refusing to provide people the support they need to stay safe or even actively working against the implementation of public health measures. And yes the assholes who just have to have large gatherings or eat in restaurants in the middle of a goddamned pandemic.

Speaking of...

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1358200560491585536

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

William Munny posted:

An Airbnb might be a better choice. Still not ideal, but probably easier to isolate in than a motel.

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

The same people that refuse to wear masks are the same that bitch about closed church services. And I doubt the churches will follow the 25 percent occupancy limit.

And numbers were starting to look better here in California... oh well! :suicide:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

7of7 posted:

A few days ago I drove by this boxing gym with big glass windows showing probably 30 people inside a small studio in a grid layout separated only by heavy bags (the things boxers practice on) and all I could imagine was the cloud of virus hanging in the air as they were all working out.

I was pretty into (casual, fitness-oriented) kickboxing before the pandemic. My gym is still open, with hard restrictions on class size so everyone stays at least 6ft apart. Masks are required before and after class, but not during. I miss it so badly but all I can think of is how the big glass windows fog up in the winter from all the heat and heavy breathing. I don't know how they haven't been the center of an outbreak yet.

A few weeks ago a patient about my age (<35) came in for new onset heart failure, following what had been an apparently mild case of covid. Reminded me that I should tell my recently recovered friend to look into getting a cardiac workup. Just in case. :smith:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I started developing symptoms about a week ago and it has been somewhat mild but just an odd progression:
day 1, day 2, day 3 - headache, mild fever, muscle aches
day 4, day 5 - almost no symptoms, just a slight cough
day 6 - bad sore throat, mild congestion, slight cough
day 7 - sore throat is gone, but it feels like I am losing my sense of taste/smell

My wife lost her sense of taste and smell on like day 2, but has had almost no symptoms since then. I am kind of paranoid that I am still developing new symptoms while everyone else seems fully recovered.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 7, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess this is to be expected

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1358469836876185600?s=20

Not good folks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not good folks

Yeah about that UK strain .....

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1358446246130819075

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hit play on an old podcast the other day and the news was how the British strain was more contagious but there was no more deadly.

LOL

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not good folks

Just to be clear, I made this graph from going through archive.org pages of the CDC's garbage variant cases page to get the .csv because the surveillance is so poo poo they can't be bothered to even graph or model it.

You may say, "But Blitter, that's only 500ish cases".

The data is collected by helix and another test manufacturer doing genomic analysis on less than half a percent of the positive test cases they process. Helix was reporting ~72 cases back in mid January. They don't say how many tests they analyzed to get those numbers, but that company had only just recently finished processing their millionth test. It's not really viable to extrapolate what percentages are being seen into the number of actual cases but it is absolutely 10s-100s of thousands of B.1.1.7 cases right now in the US.

Jan 6th to 27th; 3 weeks:

195 cases on Jan 25.
315 cases on Jan 27.
437 cases on Jan 30.
611 cases on Feb 02.

It's hard to appreciate how quickly this can take off.

Note how it goes from 20% to 70% in roughly a week...

Aaand then the new cases goes vertical:

There is a reason why the CDC called it in early January that it would be the dominant strain by March, and they have not gone back on that prediction in any way.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 7, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Don't know if it was covered already, but the Danish government is paying out the equivalent of roughly 3 billion dollars to the mink farmers for putting everyone at risk and throwing a fit that they weren't allowed to continue abusing animals and selling pelts at net loss.

Meanwhile people on welfare have so far received a generous one-time stimulus check of $160 throughout the pandemic.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEhAUn56Z_s

yeah... a total of three people properly wearing masks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

look at the y axis

rounding error to double of rounding error

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

One thing to bear in mind is that while all schools for kids aged 5+ are now closed here, nurseries/kindergartens have remained open, which could go some way towards explaining this data.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Florida numbers don’t seem that bad for how mental they’re being. We’re under full lockdown and having similar results. Bizarre. Are they reporting weirdly? Why isn’t it stratospheric.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Bape Culture posted:

Florida numbers don’t seem that bad for how mental they’re being. We’re under full lockdown and having similar results. Bizarre. Are they reporting weirdly? Why isn’t it stratospheric.

Because they're lying about the numbers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

look at the y axis

rounding error to double of rounding error

Raw numbers, dog. It’s a fraction of a percent of tests done by two companies in a field of many, in a country where most people aren’t tested at all.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It’s odd that with so many cases no ultra contagious mutants have emerged in the US. I wonder if the response has been so bad that being more contagious doesn’t offer any evolutionary advantage.

Anyway, it looks like the South African mutant has ruined the AZ vaccine:
https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/amended-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-needed-for-south-african-variant-20210208-p570dr.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bape Culture posted:

DeSantis has been messing with the numbers since the beginning

The last restrictions that were in place at a state level were lifted in Sept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s odd that with so many cases no ultra contagious mutants have emerged in the US. I wonder if the response has been so bad that being more contagious doesn’t offer any evolutionary advantage.

Anyway, it looks like the South African mutant has ruined the AZ vaccine:
https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/amended-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-needed-for-south-african-variant-20210208-p570dr.html

Not only is the surveillance insufficient to find and track new variants in the US, there are indeed (at least) two - The California variant, which contains the L452R mutation - currently known as "CAL.20C" for which "much is still unknown but was identified in 36.4% of new cases in a recent study in LA".

And there is the Ohio variant - which contains the 501Y mutation which is also present in the UK and SA variants and is correlated to increased infectivity.

loving P.1 was found out of just 1000 samples in SF; so who knows what else is out there - P.1 is the brazilian variant currently reinfecting the entire population of Manus Brazil where they already had +70% previously infected with the old version; no immunity from previous infection at all.

Aaand no one knows about it, media doesn't care about it and oh well, better OPENERUP.