Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm depressed af right now, y'all.

Today should've been awesome! I was scheduled for 10am instead of my usual 6am, so I got to stay up late last night and have fun, and still get some decent sleep. I go in and look at our duty roster, and I'm on... dish?! Well, okay, I'll take that over dropping chicken; for once I won't come home reeking of fry oil. Plus whoever's on dish is the run-and-fetch person to our walk-in, which is outside our sister restaurant next door, so gently caress yeah cigarette breaks for days.

I got cut around 1pm (we close at 2) because it was that dead. On a Saturday. I've seen Saturdays where there's literally a line out the door, but today... loving crickets and tumbleweeds. A
nd this has been trending. I dunno if it's covid, or the cold weather (though when I worked here back in 2017-18, we'd still be busy even when it was sleeting/tropical storms). But I cannot recall a Saturday when we cut down to 3 people an hour before close.

Aside from my next paycheck being abysmal (Thursday I came in at 6 and got cut at 8!), the situation just has me down in the dumps. As much as I love to bitch about it, my heart is in the industry. And I know stores have been hurting, but today just sucker-punched me in my figurative balls for some reason.

Sorry for uselessly rambling, I just needed to vent so I can get on with my day without ruminating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

fizzymercy posted:

Anyone know any jobs you can get that aren't soul crushing if you have learning disorders to the point of needing An Adult when doing paperwork? Cause I don't know of any and I'm on the lookout. I can't keep working at a ghost kitchen and moonlighting as a night porter.

Farming. Or weed farming.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sextro posted:

Farming. Or weed farming.

Man, weed farming would be my dream job. And not just for the green benefits! I love gardening, I'm used to getting up early, I live in the southeast US where the climate is great... our state Gov is this [pintches thumb and forefinger] close to legalization, and the second it happens I'm buying some cheap land. Stage two is using my culinary chops to make fanfuckintastic edibles.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I would love and adore acreage to have my own personal okra and squashes farm with a mushroom house or three. I'd have a small grow house in the back for family and friends but the pot industry is terrifying to me. If I could just be the green thumb that did all the hard work? poo poo yeah please sign me up. I have Ideas about hydroponics.

Actually a good idea though. I think I'm going to go out and put in applications at all the local nurseries and farms. I need a new job anyway and my family is known in the area for being ranchers and farmers. Dunno why I didn't think of this before outside of being scared to switch to a new industry I know nothing about.

Goons. Y'all are loving helpful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely days I miss the routine of pastries and delivery, but then I roll out of bed in the evening and my joints audibly creak, and I remember what I did to them in my 20's hustling food. :v:

I was cleaning the house and found my last week's paycheck when I was managing the kitchen for a bar-with-sandwiches place before the bakery. Not going to scan it for obvious reasons, but:

Manager - Hours 54.530 | Rate 8.50

Ten years ago.

They still pay managers that or less in every place it's legal to do so in America.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

fizzymercy posted:

I would love and adore acreage to have my own personal okra and squashes farm with a mushroom house or three. I'd have a small grow house in the back for family and friends but the pot industry is terrifying to me. If I could just be the green thumb that did all the hard work? poo poo yeah please sign me up. I have Ideas about hydroponics.

Actually a good idea though. I think I'm going to go out and put in applications at all the local nurseries and farms. I need a new job anyway and my family is known in the area for being ranchers and farmers. Dunno why I didn't think of this before outside of being scared to switch to a new industry I know nothing about.

Goons. Y'all are loving helpful.

I was scratching my head trying to come up with ideas when you first posted but this gave me an idea (maybe?).

The big box stores like Home Despot, Wal-Fart, and sLowe's, as well as supermarkets, contract out the work to another company in their springtime garden centers, and they were advertising every day on Craigslist this time last year. I filled out their online app late last February and got called back within a few days. Then I got hired at a dream kitchen job so I never followed through and then every restaurant in the country shut down two weeks later ahahahha fml

I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I'll dig thru my old emails and try to find it for you.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Stage two is using my culinary chops to make fanfuckintastic edibles.

This is the step I'm trying to take. A bunch of local growers give me trim/shake and I return a portion of the edibles made with said trim, then keep the rest. Currently making peanut butter squares, but I've done fudge, chocolate (like, from coco butter, not just melting down and recooling chips), and a bunch of other stuff. I can't get it into dispensaries because licensing and testing is a pain and a cost I can't currently pay (plus in CA everything has to be dosed exactly), but so far people have been loving my food then loving the high after, so I consider it a successful experiment to this point.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
All you would-be weed chefs should come to Oklahoma. The state may be brick red, but we've got some of the most permissive grow laws in the country.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fighting Trousers posted:

All you would-be weed chefs should come to Oklahoma. The state may be brick red, but we've got some of the most permissive grow laws in the country.

Man, I love weed, but that's a tough ask.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

isn't that only in the non-rez parts?(aka 10% of the state)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Elizabethan Error posted:

isn't that only in the non-rez parts?(aka 10% of the state)

Tribal land here in OK isn't really "the rez". It's a different arrangement. But I only made the suggestion because unlike a lot of states, there are no limits on the number of grow op/dispensary permits the state can issue in a year. Also, the OKC and Tulsa metros are trying really hard not to be chuddy shitholes, and we need all the help we can get.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm way too queer and trans for a RED red state. Ohio is bad enough. The cities are fine, but I'm still iffy outside of that. Haven't gotten any poo poo yet.. but I've only been PUBLICLY public here in Cbus, and in Pittsburgh.

Also hello Industry goons. I mentioned this in the GWS chat thread, but forgot to hear. I've got my legal paperwork submitted. Ya girl gonna get her name changed.

And I'm out at work now for the most part. And working on being out to more people every day. February is when his name is, just, nah. And I'll be publicly (and only) Renee. Thank you all for being supportive. :3:

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
^^^Congratulations!

fizzymercy posted:

I'm that kid that everyone knew was dumb and wanted to help but couldn't because it takes forever. Pretty sure I get to rot in my shoes on the line.

What state are you in?

A friend of mine in Wisconsin was LD through school, but reading was his issue not numbers. He started working maintenance/janitorial at a local high school recently and has never been happier. Mildly physical job, slight variance in job every day, decent pay/benefits/hours.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm depressed af right now, y'all.

Today should've been awesome! I was scheduled for 10am instead of my usual 6am, so I got to stay up late last night and have fun, and still get some decent sleep. I go in and look at our duty roster, and I'm on... dish?! Well, okay, I'll take that over dropping chicken; for once I won't come home reeking of fry oil. Plus whoever's on dish is the run-and-fetch person to our walk-in, which is outside our sister restaurant next door, so gently caress yeah cigarette breaks for days.

I got cut around 1pm (we close at 2) because it was that dead. On a Saturday. I've seen Saturdays where there's literally a line out the door, but today... loving crickets and tumbleweeds. A
nd this has been trending. I dunno if it's covid, or the cold weather (though when I worked here back in 2017-18, we'd still be busy even when it was sleeting/tropical storms). But I cannot recall a Saturday when we cut down to 3 people an hour before close.

Aside from my next paycheck being abysmal (Thursday I came in at 6 and got cut at 8!), the situation just has me down in the dumps. As much as I love to bitch about it, my heart is in the industry. And I know stores have been hurting, but today just sucker-punched me in my figurative balls for some reason.

Sorry for uselessly rambling, I just needed to vent so I can get on with my day without ruminating.

Check your PMs.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm way too queer and trans for a RED red state. Ohio is bad enough. The cities are fine, but I'm still iffy outside of that. Haven't gotten any poo poo yet.. but I've only been PUBLICLY public here in Cbus, and in Pittsburgh.

Also hello Industry goons. I mentioned this in the GWS chat thread, but forgot to hear. I've got my legal paperwork submitted. Ya girl gonna get her name changed.

And I'm out at work now for the most part. And working on being out to more people every day. February is when his name is, just, nah. And I'll be publicly (and only) Renee. Thank you all for being supportive. :3:

Congrats Renee! That takes a lot of guts and I hope that the whole thing goes as smoothly as any bureaucratic process can.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

It's a different arrangement.
tribal sites are saying otherwise :nallears:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yesterday I saw Belle, one of our FOH staff, slumped over and holding her head by the POS that's in the kitchen. I asked her if she was okay, and she said "I dunno. I'm getting a migraine or something." I patted her back and told her if there was anything I could do, let me know. I used to get cluster headaches (until I got lidocaine injections in my head :black101:), so I could sympathize.

Today I found out she had an aneurysm, and just got out of surgery this morning. We're not super close friends or anything, but she's been a work buddy for years, and a hard-workin' middle-aged woman like myself, so that news brought a good healthy "fuuuuuuuck" out of me.

If you're a religious sort of person, light a candle and say a prayer to St. Martha, the patron saint of FOH. If not, just lift your drink and wish Belle well.

This comes on the heels of having a spectacular new BOH hire out until ??? She went to collect her last paycheck from her old job, and they said "OOOPS! Guess we should have called you! Someone who works here tested positive for corona!" So not only are we a woman down until she gets tested, but of course we're all nervous that it may have spread to our place.

It has not been a good week, and I was happy to get cut early today even though I need hours. I have the next 2 days off, so if you'll excuse me, I'm about to get lit af.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Yesterday I saw Belle, one of our FOH staff, slumped over and holding her head by the POS that's in the kitchen. I asked her if she was okay, and she said "I dunno. I'm getting a migraine or something." I patted her back and told her if there was anything I could do, let me know. I used to get cluster headaches (until I got lidocaine injections in my head :black101:), so I could sympathize.

Today I found out she had an aneurysm, and just got out of surgery this morning. We're not super close friends or anything, but she's been a work buddy for years, and a hard-workin' middle-aged woman like myself, so that news brought a good healthy "fuuuuuuuck" out of me.

If you're a religious sort of person, light a candle and say a prayer to St. Martha, the patron saint of FOH. If not, just lift your drink and wish Belle well.

This comes on the heels of having a spectacular new BOH hire out until ??? She went to collect her last paycheck from her old job, and they said "OOOPS! Guess we should have called you! Someone who works here tested positive for corona!" So not only are we a woman down until she gets tested, but of course we're all nervous that it may have spread to our place.

It has not been a good week, and I was happy to get cut early today even though I need hours. I have the next 2 days off, so if you'll excuse me, I'm about to get lit af.

jfc

she's lucky to be alive

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please drink some water as you get lit, comrade. And I hope Belle is OK, jfc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Manuel Calavera posted:

Please drink some water as you get lit, comrade. And I hope Belle is OK, jfc.

Both of these. Aneurysms are goddamn terrifying, hope she recovers.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks y'all. I did just get an update from another (also in her 40's) woman in FOH. Belle has stirred a bit and tried to grab "the thing" (canula? intubator? I don't know, I didn't really get deets) away from her face.

"So she got fight in her, JD. She got fight."

"Well, gently caress [stifles back tears], that's what us old ladies in the industry do, right?"

edit: I know it's probably in poor form to request your own post as a thread title change, but LC, it would be nice if we could temporarily get "The Restaurant Industry Thread: She Got Fight"

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 26, 2021

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

"The Restaurant Industry Thread: She Got Fight"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Well, gently caress [stifles back tears], that's what us old ladies in the industry do, right?"

edit: I know it's probably in poor form to request your own post as a thread title change, but LC, it would be nice if we could temporarily get "The Restaurant Industry Thread: She Got Fight"

That we do, that we do. I'm turning 34 and I'm feeling it. But hell yeah I'm glad she seems to be up a bit more. Give her my regards from one gal to another. :3:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Can I post positive news? Partner got a job after being unemployed since March. They're going to test (and if successful early develop) recipes and do research for one of those "we send you ingredients and a recipe to follow at home kit" companies. FROM HOME. No test kitchen attendance is required, though can be scheduled if wanted. And apparently we won't need to buy like half our food any more at least since everything sent to test feeds 2 people.

They're going to learn how to do spreadsheets and word processing, write professional emails, attend Zoom meetings and everything that never happened much being chef in a tiny restaurant.

We're so happy and honestly I'm incredibly relieved. I can work from home and support both of us but my partner was getting really frustrated not working but I didn't want them going into a kitchen with other people and bringing it into our home.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh dang, that sounds like a pretty sweet gig actually! Hell yeah, you've piqued my curiosity!
For some further good news. I have a court date for my name change. March 5th.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Congratulations to both of you! Good news is in short supply and those are both incredibly awesome things.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, congrats! Good news is always welcome!

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, congrats! Good news is always welcome!

Especially in this thread. It gives a great audience to vent your frustration, and everyone commiserates. That makes the good news feel that much better. Everyone that has a good thing going for them gets genuine high fives. Y'all earned it, and we know.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm not going to ever get paid for a grand total of 94 hours of work because the owners of the ghost kitchen I worked for are in jail for MASSIVE fraud unrelated to their restaurant ventures. They won't be leaving prison any time in the next decade. They also owed me money for cleaning services through my private company. Stupid of me. I should have trusted myself when I thought they were scummy.

But I have a second job interview on Monday at a aloe vera nursery! And thanks to JacquelineDempsey I thought to ask at the Lowes about their suppliers and they gave me a list and a direct contact for the local palm nursery. If I get to be a master gardener someday I'm going to have to mail JD some flowers.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

fizzymercy posted:

But I have a second job interview on Monday at a aloe vera nursery! And thanks to JacquelineDempsey I thought to ask at the Lowes about their suppliers and they gave me a list and a direct contact for the local palm nursery. If I get to be a master gardener someday I'm going to have to mail JD some flowers.

Awww, great! Happy to help! :kimchi:

I might be on TV tonight; local Fox station came by to do a spot on our store expanding from breakfast to doing po' boys for lunch/dinner. I had a camerawoman all up in my space while I was trying to fry catfish and oysters. Also some B-roll footage of me and the owner pretending to have a conversation. Thank heavens for masks, because we were cracking up saying stupid poo poo like

"So, JD, whaddya have there?"
"Well boss, we call these... shrimp."

It's airing on the 10 'o'clock news tonight, but is supposed to be on their site as well. I will share, if it's not too embarrassing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I might be on TV tonight; local Fox station came by to do a spot on our store expanding from breakfast to doing po' boys for lunch/dinner. I had a camerawoman all up in my space while I was trying to fry catfish and oysters. Also some B-roll footage of me and the owner pretending to have a conversation. Thank heavens for masks, because we were cracking up saying stupid poo poo like

It's airing on the 10 'o'clock news tonight, but is supposed to be on their site as well. I will share, if it's not too embarrassing.

Woo! When I was at Snap Kitchen like 4 years ago we had someone from NPR come in and do a "sounds of the kitchen" segment.

I was on the "radio" as they recorded, among other sounds, me mashing the heaping pile of ground turkey into the pot with the giant potato-masher thingy. Also I think they had a picture of me doing that on their article. My parents were all excited and proud and were all "Which part where you?"

"...I'm the 'clank clank clank' breaking up the sizzling, not-quite-fully-thawed meat and making sure it all heats and cooks evenly as the nice lady leaned over my shoulder with a camera and microphone?" She wanted the sounds of cooking, not the actual sounds of a real kitchen which involves us all being idiots in Spanglish.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Alkydere posted:

Woo! When I was at Snap Kitchen like 4 years ago we had someone from NPR come in and do a "sounds of the kitchen" segment.

I was on the "radio" as they recorded, among other sounds, me mashing the heaping pile of ground turkey into the pot with the giant potato-masher thingy. Also I think they had a picture of me doing that on their article. My parents were all excited and proud and were all "Which part where you?"

"...I'm the 'clank clank clank' breaking up the sizzling, not-quite-fully-thawed meat and making sure it all heats and cooks evenly as the nice lady leaned over my shoulder with a camera and microphone?" She wanted the sounds of cooking, not the actual sounds of a real kitchen which involves us all being idiots in Spanglish.

i swear this is every reporter. when i was in the paper for doing research there’s a big picture of me doing science which was just putting distilled water into a little pcr vial

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
When the local news did an incredibly boring piece about my cleaning company clearing a restaurant for demolition they accidentally filmed me pulling dead mice out of a grease trap. Somehow that didn't make it to air? Cowards.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

... she wanted to get the sizzle without the sick burns?!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I might be on TV tonight; local Fox station came by to do a spot on our store expanding from breakfast to doing po' boys for lunch/dinner. I had a camerawoman all up in my space while I was trying to fry catfish and oysters.

mmmmmm....oyster po' boys

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BiggerBoat posted:

mmmmmm....oyster po' boys

Goddammit, this made me realize I didn't get any oysters on the half shell this weekend. Stupid pandemic, making it unsafe to eat at an oyster bar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Goddammit, this made me realize I didn't get any oysters on the half shell this weekend. Stupid pandemic, making it unsafe to eat at an oyster bar.

I like to buy them by the bushel and just roast them bitches on my grill. Shucking them kinda sucks but price wise that's the way to go. It works better with more people since they'll usually take turns busting them open but a party like that is a no go with Covid right now, at least for me. In more sane times, I'd fill up a cooler for a party, grill them and then shuck and fry the ones we didn't eat or use them in a sauce or something.

drat, I haven't had oysters in a while and now you guys got me craving some.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BiggerBoat posted:

I like to buy them by the bushel and just roast them bitches on my grill. Shucking them kinda sucks but price wise that's the way to go. It works better with more people since they'll usually take turns busting them open but a party like that is a no go with Covid right now, at least for me. In more sane times, I'd fill up a cooler for a party, grill them and then shuck and fry the ones we didn't eat or use them in a sauce or something.

drat, I haven't had oysters in a while and now you guys got me craving some.

I was supposed to head to a friend's beach house next weekend, but neither of us were able to do a 2 week quarantine beforehand for reasons. We were going to grill oysters, steam crabs, and just have a seafood and beer weekend. Alas :smith:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
About two months ago I had the idea that since I enjoyed all the cooking I was doing during quarantine, I might want to get a part time job in a restaurant when (if?) covid ever ends. I've read all 9000+ posts in this thread since then and it's been a loving ride. You've also all convinced me to just have fun cooking at home, so thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Soonmot posted:

About two months ago I had the idea that since I enjoyed all the cooking I was doing during quarantine, I might want to get a part time job in a restaurant when (if?) covid ever ends. I've read all 9000+ posts in this thread since then and it's been a loving ride. You've also all convinced me to just have fun cooking at home, so thanks for that.

oh hey look you're smarter than anyone that's posted in this thread, congrats