Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

In Training posted:

cross posting from the union thread

Edit: nvm, I found it.

Hulk Krogan has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

cross posting from the union thread

--

nyc food market in the Bronx that handles about 60% of the produce supply for the city is on strike bc management refused to raise wages by even a dollar (counter-offered 30 something cents lol). if you're in the area check in with the teamsters union or DSA or whatever local organizers that are joining the effort, there's lot of ways to offer support and solidarity! here's the JC16 Twitter acct if you want to get caught up on their activity

https://twitter.com/TeamstersJC16/status/1352679224595910656
This worked out pretty well, they got a $1.80 raise and no out of pocket healthcare, gently caress yeah

lol lotta management gonna change after calling that bluff

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
probly nothing

https://twitter.com/hels/status/1357737322792550405?s=20

e: the article starts well enough but at the end it devolves into blaming individuals

Fleetwood has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Feb 5, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/1357662710901723137?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it got deleted already but it was a tweet from an MTA acct explaining that benches have been removed from stations to prevent homeless people from sleeping on them. for anyone curious

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In Training posted:

it got deleted already but it was a tweet from an MTA acct explaining that benches have been removed from stations to prevent homeless people from sleeping on them. for anyone curious

Just pure loving evil poo poo.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Receipts: https://twitter.com/2AvSagas/status/1358131518749736964?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

in slightly better homeless advocacy news, the homeless population that was allowed to stay at that hotel in the uws has been organizing, first to fight off NIMBY eviction threats over the summer, and this week they hosted a mayoral forum.

https://gothamist.com/news/mayoral-forum-homeless-new-yorkers-demand-answers-longstanding-crisis

pretty great, not sure where a group like this will go but this kind of collective advocacy can only lead to better things. part of me wonders if the city is removing benches now in retaliation for this lol. especially since all the lefty candidates are police abolitionists, NYPD and MTA cops were probably pissed. more likely it's just bc there was an uptick in people sheltering in subways during the snowstorm this week and losers snitched and complained.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Have people seen this McSweeney's piece? It's a good time:
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/i-am-the-designer-of-this-restaurants-outdoor-seating-space-and-this-is-my-artists-statement

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lotsa people think that’s a person working for the MTA calling out their bosses

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

do they usually sign their posts when replying to people?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Yeah, that was absolutely my take as well. Good way for someone who doesn’t like the policy to draw attention to it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hostile architecture is already so commonplace in NYC and accepted to the point that ship has sailed. The default is to design a thing that's comfortable, but not too comfortable and definitely not long enough to stretch out on. Architecture against humans is absolutely disgusting and absolutely everywhere in any public facing design project, I don't see it changing any time soon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jellidelic posted:

do they usually sign their posts when replying to people?

That's a common twitter practice for accounts that belong to organizations with large PR/CS teams, it's the only way to figure out which employee specifically posted which tweet after the fact

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I saw something from Gothamist the other day about the Guardian Angels stepping up their being a bunch of pricks on the Subway, over the past year and I just really loving hate those guys and thunk it's weird how they don't get talked about.

Also you know if Cuomo is just going to pretend COVID is fine now and just the flu, the least he could do is restore 24/7 Subway service

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KomradeX posted:

So I saw something from Gothamist the other day about the Guardian Angels stepping up their being a bunch of pricks on the Subway, over the past year and I just really loving hate those guys and thunk it's weird how they don't get talked about.

Also you know if Cuomo is just going to pretend COVID is fine now and just the flu, the least he could do is restore 24/7 Subway service

the founder of the guardian angels is running for mayor this year lol

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

lmao too real

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In Training posted:

the founder of the guardian angels is running for mayor this year lol

Again? I feel like that rear end in a top hat has done that a few times only to fall flat on his face

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CBS6Leanne/status/1358782651440717826

The Farm may be closer than it appears

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bring the farm closer... closer... no that's too close

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone know what the rules are for the nyc vaccine roleout? I used to work as a cook, but got laid off and have been looking for work for a while. So I need a restaurant job to get a vaccine, but I can't get a restaurant job these days without a vaccine..

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

ughhhh posted:

Anyone know what the rules are for the nyc vaccine roleout? I used to work as a cook, but got laid off and have been looking for work for a while. So I need a restaurant job to get a vaccine, but I can't get a restaurant job these days without a vaccine..

I'd suggest calling the vaccine hotline, 1-877-VAX-4NYC, with more info here.

The truth is that if you can convince yourself that you're eligible, you're the only person who is going to check. In my experience, the only thing people are checking for at the NYC distro centers is that you have an appointment -- it's entirely on the honor system afaik.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my MiL drove from nj to suffern to get a shot she registered for on walgreens.com and never had to show id or anything so yeah lie and steal vaccine if you gotta have it to work cause my fam is doing it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i really know didly squat about the people running for mayor, except that the guy in the times today seems like crap

andrew yang is a nut and would be a disaster for city services, it sounds like

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

You don't want to hand Governor's Island over to the state gaming commission for reasons that totally make sense just give me a minute to come up with something?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i really know didly squat about the people running for mayor, except that the guy in the times today seems like crap

Carlos Menchaca and Dianne Morales seem cool. im looking forward to an election for the first time in my life bc of RCV

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Carlos Menchaca and Dianne Morales seem cool. im looking forward to an election for the first time in my life bc of RCV

I've seen Menchaca perform in several City Council meetings (bored in quarantine, why not tune in?). He's definitely repping the left and holds good positions, but I have concerns about his age and experience related to understanding of the complexity of NYC bullshit bureaucracy.

I really think you need a mayor who knows how to work with the Gordian knot of 50+ agencies/8 mil pop in order to accomplish their goals. I don't think Scott Stringer is the most progressive candidate, but I've seen his offices writing and he fundamentally gets the details of what makes this city tick and he wants to make it more equitable. Like, they put out a white paper on unjust Capital funding of Parks a few years ago that was more in the weeds then it had any right to be, dude knows his stuff.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I've seen Menchaca perform in several City Council meetings (bored in quarantine, why not tune in?). He's definitely repping the left and holds good positions, but I have concerns about his age and experience related to understanding of the complexity of NYC bullshit bureaucracy.

I really think you need a mayor who knows how to work with the Gordian knot of 50+ agencies/8 mil pop in order to accomplish their goals. I don't think Scott Stringer is the most progressive candidate, but I've seen his offices writing and he fundamentally gets the details of what makes this city tick and he wants to make it more equitable. Like, they put out a white paper on unjust Capital funding of Parks a few years ago that was more in the weeds then it had any right to be, dude knows his stuff.

This sounds about right to me. Julia Salazar’s endorsement also means a lot to me, frankly

Yang becoming mayor would probably be so loving embarrassing, and such an awful follow up to years of de Blasio’s incompetent do nothing bullshit

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
does yang actually have a chance. what the gently caress he doesn’t even live here

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Yeah I feel about Stringer how aging libs want everyone to feel about biden. Not particularly offensive politics, intimate knowledge of the mechanisms of government, lots of credible and detailed policy positions.

I dunno, maybe it's just that De Blasio was such a tall loving disappointment

Griz
May 21, 2001

Phobeste posted:

does yang actually have a chance. what the gently caress he doesn’t even live here

there was one poll where he was leading by one point which led to a bunch of dumb articles, but if you clicked through to the actual poll 40% of the respondents picked "none of these candidates"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Phobeste posted:

Part of the reason: Cuomo -- quite successfully! -- has endeavored to be an end-all power in NY politics so it's been hard for local politicians to grow support in the scorched earth beyond the transactional (which isn't nothing, but it's thankfully become harder to transform support from real estate and finance into votes). Not that the local politicians who have been around would be any good at growing that support anyway... they're largely there because they were good fits into the machine or whatever. Anyway, that's why his last challenger was Cynthia Nixon. On the bright side, it's also why the Eliot Engels and Joe Crowleys are easier to primary. The tide might be turning, but it's still the case that somebody with any kind of appeal can parachute in here more easily than they could if we had a healthier political ecosystem.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Operation gently caress the Homeless has the expected casualties involved

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1359890986424500226

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I've seen Menchaca perform in several City Council meetings (bored in quarantine, why not tune in?).

lol same here

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they have a public chat on the zoom calls I've thought it would be cool to start flamewars to see if even a single other human being is out there watching the city council discuss community land trust designations

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Have we talked ITT about how Cuomo's sole redeeming feature is his choice of hold music before the State of the State and such?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

betaraywil posted:

Have we talked ITT about how Cuomo's sole redeeming feature is his choice of hold music before the State of the State and such?

I don’t know, what’s his choice of hold music?

I’m fine with outing myself as ignorant of the state of the state pregame

e- I also thought this was the nyc LAN thread after the name change removed city/state politics so I’m not exactly on the ball here

Snowy has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Feb 13, 2021

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Last night I got a call from my City Council rep, Antonio Reynoso about his campaign for Brooklyn Borough President. It was a fundraising call, but we talked for 20 minutes about what issues were important to me and how he's addressing those concerns in his platform. Apparently he has endorsements from: Working Family Party, Jumaane Williams, and Cynthia Nixon, which signal his lane.

I knew he recognizes the need to cut down on car traffic and infrastructure, which makes sense in his district. One thing that really impressed me is that he recognizes there's not a single solution for every neighborhood, and that folks in Canarsie and East New York need transportation solutions that aren't bike lanes.

Anyway this is a rambling post, but I've never had the opportunity to talk with a politician. I've especially never talked with a politician who has a platform in line with my own views who was interested in hearing my ideas for things. Very cool experience and I'll throw the max matching donation his way.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I get that it's Sim City but whats point, another weird liberal tirade against hatred rural people?