Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: Hook em horns

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Probably should be in the N/V thread, but answer everything like this:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

wandler20 posted:

Shower is coming along nicely DLINK!

When I did my shower last spring I used Schluter/Kerdi stuff and it's amazing and makes life so much easier. Not sure I'll ever do a shower without it again.

Thank bud. Yeah, every Schluter product is just designed entirely to make your life easier, yet somehow also aids in improving work quality. German engineering. man

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

seiferguy posted:

Well I see you aren't a fan of WW2 history.

¿por qué no los dos?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

CannonFodder posted:

what is this screen I have never seen this screen why do you torment me secret of mana

The second-last fight of the game

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/farrah_yvette/status/1358236981554257920?s=19

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Brisket finished its 25-hour sous vide bath. Ice chilled it for about an hour and now it's on the smoker (again) for final warm-up. Theoretically it should be all done by 2pm PST, and then ready to eat by kickoff.

What time will the Super Bowl GDT start? I'm guessing it will be pretty busy as very few people are having parties.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Android Apocalypse posted:

What time will the Super Bowl GDT start? I'm guessing it will be pretty busy as very few people are having parties.

I put up a pregame one, I figure one will appear at some point before kickoff

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

gatdamn that is cold

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Agreed, they build him up as the big bad the whole game, but his fight isn't tough at all

Ahhh, dammit.

Ok so stupid little personal story. Jim Starlin was the guy who came in to Marvel back in the day and more or less invented the Marvel Galaxy setting, with aliens and godlike alien beings and dimensions and cosmic encounters etc; basically, he added Space Opera to the Marvel lineup. He created and developed Thanos, based partially on Metron and Darkseid. Captain Marvel and Warlock both already existed thanks to Jack Kirby, but Starlin along with Roy Thomas built them into a more coherent and larger setting that had stories taking place beyond Earth (or the alternate Earth) with krees and scrulls and galactic empires etc. I think they also tied in stuff from Silver Surfer and other Kirby characters that spent time out in space.

But in the early 1980s, Starlin was involved in the first run of comics for Marvel print "Epic", called Dreadstar. And Dreadstar was 100% an establishment of the pattern on which Guardians of the Galaxy was built. It was Vanth Dreadstar with his magic space sword, and his side-kicks, a sexy telepath lady, a cat person good with laser guns, and a skull-faced magician. They pal around doing space drama stuff.

The big bad enemy they face a lot in that run is the head of the church of the oppressive theocracy that rules half the galaxy, Lord High Papal of the Instrumentality.

This guy. And yeah, he's fuckin' Thanos, man. Big purple muscle dude with a weird face. Granted Thanos was first (1973), but it's obvious that Starlin was just re-using and mix/matching previous character concepts for Dreadstar. So it was weird for me when I'd read through a bunch of my dad's Dreadstar and then started reading some old Marvel stuff and here was Thanos. I was like, 10 or 12 years old or something, and I didn't understand that these were different settings, that there was a distinction between Epic and Marvel, etc, to me it all kind of mixed up in my head. I never saw all that much of the Thanos stuff, my stepdad had the graphic novel The Death of Captain Marvel and I saw maybe a half-dozen other issues here an there, into my early teens.

And then there's Thanatos, the greek god who is a personification of death. Obviously the source for Thanos's name. I read some stuff about greek gods when I was in my early teens, and at that point my stepdad had reclaimed and boxed away some of his comics, so in my head Thanos and Thanatos sort of merged, and I spent a loooong time not remembering which name belonged to who, was it Thanatos that was in the old Dreadstar comics, or Thanos, or was that the guy fighting the Guardians?

Finally we have our admin, Athanatos. Which just blurs that line worse. I can usually get the right names onto the right characters but from time to time I make a mental slip as you caught me doing, BO. Some wires in my brain are crossed and probably I can never get them fully un-crossed.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Athantos can snap his fingers press a mod button and perma ban us.

I think the crossover fits perfectly.

And he rode a pale horse (Colts fan) and his name was death.

:tinfoil:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

CannonFodder posted:

what is this screen I have never seen this screen why do you torment me secret of mana

It's when you finally fight Thanatos after him being the main antagonist through the entire game. If I remember right he's at the end of the Mana Fortress, and it goes straight from him to fighting the Mana Beast as the last boss.

Also Quiet Feet is correct, the music for the fight does own.

Paint Crop Pro posted:

I sometimes wonder why I live here, but then I see pictures like Ehud "I was clearing out a spider web and look it was a black widow!"

And then I remember why I do.

I mean, there's a middle ground between those two things, but yeah, it has its advantages. I can't imagine going somewhere that doesn't have four seasons, but winter is my least favorite of the four and tends to be pretty prominent here.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

Ahhh, dammit.

Finally we have our admin, Athanatos. Which just blurs that line worse. I can usually get the right names onto the right characters but from time to time I make a mental slip as you caught me doing, BO. Some wires in my brain are crossed and probably I can never get them fully un-crossed.

lol, I only know Thanatos from Secret of Mana, because I'm an uneducated dummy who grew up on video games. Also I almost wrote "I can't imagine living somewhere that doesn't have all three seasons" in that post just now, so I wouldn't sweat a Thanos/Thanatos mental slip. Pretty sure someone does it every time the MCU comes up, your instance was just worded right to make itself a target for a SoM joke.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Marvel's Epic imprint had some of my favorite comics back in the day. They had the colorized run of Akira and a chunk of the Lone Wolf & Cub run (with new covers by Frank Miller & Bill Sienkiewicz), as well as weird creator-generated stuff like Stray Toasters. They also had traditional Marvel content but by "high end" artists (Havok & Wolverine: Meltdown) and licensed things (Clive Barker's Hellraiser).

Epic was more or less Marvel's version of DC Comics' Vertigo line.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
A classic

https://twitter.com/lvduncecap/status/1358503502499041282?s=21

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

¿por qué no los dos?

Oh, it was a dumb twitter joke

https://twitter.com/PostinMonkey/status/1357937418838577152?s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Oh, it was a dumb twitter joke

Speaking of: this thread a couple of years ago here

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1358471885881815041

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve been into both since my early 20s so :colbert:

(:corsair:)

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Leperflesh posted:

I just thought it was cool to name a Healer in DAoC the Greek word for immortal

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Wish there was a consumer purchase that made WW2 history as easy as the wifi enabled electric smoker makes delicious meats

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

Wish there was a consumer purchase that made WW2 history as easy as the wifi enabled electric smoker makes delicious meats

I just want one easily accessible comprehensive WWI documentary like World at War.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

Any of a bazillion dvds from
https://www.history.com/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

LeeMajors posted:

I just want one easily accessible comprehensive WWI documentary like World at War.

There is it’s The Great War produced by BBC in 1964. It’s all on You Tube

Note a lot of the scholarship is outdated.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLucsO-7vMQ00twBJvRZKs1KNUKUVClo6C

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

WWII In Color on Netflix is good. Has all the big hits and it's in color, as the namesake suggests

Oh read that wong. Lol. They Shall Not Grow Old is good for WWI. It is in color too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was that colorized WW1 doc based on letters written by troops or whatever. Peter Jackson produced it I think.

Edit: This one

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7905466/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_5

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

They Shall Not Grow old is like 90 minutes long it’s not anything like World at War. The BBC Great War doc series is 22 hours long.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger is also a really good read for WWI from the German side

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They Shall Not Grow old is like 90 minutes long it’s not anything like World at War. The BBC Great War doc series is 22 hours long.

Huh, for some reason I thought it was a lot longer, still not 22 hours, but closer to like 3 hours.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thanks for the recs y’all.

I’m not sure if it came from here or DnD but A World Undone has lit a loving bonfire of interest in me.

They Shall Not Grow Old isn’t on any streaming right now but maybe I just need to rent it from prime or some poo poo.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Anyone interested in WW1 should read Storm of Steel tomorrow

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Me not caring about WW2 with chicken wings

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Me not caring about WW2 with chicken wings

I think u ovrrdid them lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sweet thursday posted:

I think u ovrrdid them lol

God damnit I was rushing here to do this.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

LeeMajors posted:

They Shall Not Grow Old isn’t on any streaming right now but maybe I just need to rent it from prime or some poo poo.

Yeah, I don’t think it ever has been. I waited for a while and eventually just snagged the DVD on sale on Amazon.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

sweet thursday posted:

Anyone interested in WW1 should read Storm of Steel tomorrow

Added to the wish list.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Want to know about WWI?

First read The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark

https://www.amazon.com/Sleepwalkers...+sleepwa&sr=8-3

Then read Pandora’s Box by Jorn Leonhard

https://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Box...tal-text&sr=1-1

Then read Cataclysm by David Stevenson

https://www.amazon.com/Cataclysm-Fi...12732859&sr=8-3

And as an added bonus if you so choose read Castle of Steel by Robert Massie

https://www.amazon.com/Castles-of-S...12733206&sr=8-1

Stay away from Guns of August and John Keegan.

If you want recommendations for specific battles and fronts I’ll be happy to oblige!

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 7, 2021

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I know, just playing along :v:

I don't think I've had less interest in a Super Bowl than this one. Still going to watch, but eh.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I know, just playing along :v:

I don't think I've had less interest in a Super Bowl than this one. Still going to watch, but eh.
Pats Rams?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/deadybones/status/1358326765316280320?s=19

Such words of wisdom.