Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Kerro posted:

Anyone played Champions of Hara ?

It's the first time I've heard of it but reading up it sounds really interesting as I love co-op puzzly games like Mage Knight, Spirit Island etc and Space Biff among others had a lot of good things to say about it.

I love it! I've played nearly every scenario in the game at least once, and it still hasn't gotten old. If you love asymmetric characters and offbeat fantasy I can't recommend it enough. (In the interest of completeness, I do have to say the "board maintenance" - dealing out new monsters and moving around world tiles takes a little long for my tastes, but that's probably my biggest issue). My group prefers the c-oop scenarios to the competitive ones, but both sides are fun and work well which isn't always the case in games that offer PvE and PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Yeah I was certainly looking at it primarily for the co-op modes as I don't think our group would much enjoy the pvp in a game of that style. How is play time and game length with 3 or 4 players? I love Mage Knight and Spirit Island but find them just too long at three (MK) and four (SI) so would be nice to find something with similarly thinky mechanics that can work at those player counts.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Any impressions on Adventure Tactics yet?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

nordichammer posted:

Any impressions on Adventure Tactics yet?

Yes!
My friend and I have been playing it and we're almost done with our first playthrough. We've also played the first two scenarios with a group of five where three people didn't have much boardgame experience. Game was pretty easy to teach which helped contribute to their enjoyment.
We're both fans of games like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics (which this game is inspired by). The meat of the game is all around building your characters and it is really fun to mix and match classes to get really fun builds. Besides giving you new abilities on level ups in new classes, the classes also modify your basic attacks and movement. Customization is the name of the game and there's plenty of it going on.
The game itself plays surprisingly fast as the rules are pretty simple and tight. Every scenario is pretty much a boss battle with unique mechanics and the boss deck dictates what the boss and their minions do every turn. I like how the players get to decide which character is targeted when a boss action would have multiple eligible targets.
I feel the game does get a bit easier as you progress through the story, which isn't particulary bad if you enjoy the feeling of getting stronger like in videogames.
Besides the first tutorial scenario, the first few scenarios can be pretty challenging. We even lost two of them, but those set you on another route. There's no real game over besides failing the first scenario, which pretty much tells you to just replay it.

And some of my grievances with the game.
The game takes a surprising amount of space on the table and the playerboards are warped, which causes them to easily spin around. Supposedly that will be fixed in the next production run. I couldn't get them to flatten even with some heavy books.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Kerro posted:

Yeah I was certainly looking at it primarily for the co-op modes as I don't think our group would much enjoy the pvp in a game of that style. How is play time and game length with 3 or 4 players? I love Mage Knight and Spirit Island but find them just too long at three (MK) and four (SI) so would be nice to find something with similarly thinky mechanics that can work at those player counts.

I've only ever played it at 3, but found games to last around an hour and a half, depending? I can see it being prone to AP, although you have a fairly narrow set of options so it's way better for AP-prone players than it is in Spirit Island. I would say you can bang out a game faster from setup to teardown than SI, but not hugely. (Never played Mage Knight but from what I know, I would assume Champions is faster).

I actually have a copy of the expansion coming (which was hard to find in Canada), so I'll give that a review in the thread once I get some plays in.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Any opinions on these games?

Agricola-Master of Brtitain

Charlemagne-Master of Europe

Aurelian-Restorer of the World

There is an offer in a local marketplace and I am kinda curious.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
All three use the Tom Russell three cup system. I got all three if them in the recent sale, but have only played Agricola. It is a good sandbox solo game. There is some luck that can totally screw you, but I'm having fun with it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Rusty Kettle posted:

All three use the Tom Russell three cup system.

The what now?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The what now?

Everyone get a load of this guy, he doesn’t know how to use the three cups!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am trying to grease the wheels with some friends to get to full blown D&D so I bought Disney’s Villainous yesterday (since one of the friends is a huge Disney fan) and I think it’s a pretty fun game and would recommend it. They have expansion packs for it and even other universes (like Marvel’s villains). I’m not sure if you can mix and match the universes (like having Thanos go against Cruella De’ville) but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

A good and fun board game. The first game where three of us learned how to play took us three hours but I’m sure it could be finished in an hour.

If you enjoy doing a reverse four card draw in uno, this is the game for you.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elysium posted:

Everyone get a load of this guy, he doesn’t know how to use the three cups!

So, now all restaurants are Taco Bell?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Rusty Kettle posted:

All three use the Tom Russell three cup system. I got all three if them in the recent sale, but have only played Agricola. It is a good sandbox solo game. There is some luck that can totally screw you, but I'm having fun with it.

Thanks

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There are three cups and chits get moved (blindly) from one to the other depending on actions you do.

The cups represent attitude towards you. So you'll have an idea of how MUCH you're pleasing (or pissing off) factions with your choices, but that state doesn't manifest as an actual consequence until you resolve something using the chits.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The three cup system is neat because each faction can be friendly or hostile. A lot of it is random, but you can work towards swaying one faction to your side, gathering their forces in your friendly cup. Then when you recruit, the forces are pulled randomly out from your friendly cup, so you can use them to invade elsewhere. Likewise, friendly factions can slowly turn on you as they enter the hostile cup.

It is pretty neat, but sometimes the wrong chit pull can screw you over terribly. I also found that I have limited control over who enters what cup, at least in Agricola. Maybe the others have more control over cup management.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

went on a sunday board game run with my old lady and picked up a few things

betrayal and time stories. i'd been meaning to get betrayal for a while cause it seemed fun when i read about it online. time stories i've never heard of, hopefully it's good.

then the true diamond in the rough

finally a dungeon crawler i don't already own. i'm sure this will be fantastic to play.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

going through the contents hopefully no red flags pop up

box contents including modular dungeon tiles

walls and doors

pewter dwarves and spiders and vanir (elves?)

opening the rulebook, cool dwarf helmet

hmmmm

oh there it is lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

betrayal and time stories. i'd been meaning to get betrayal for a while cause it seemed fun when i read about it online.

Wild, I didnt know there was anyone online talking about betrayal that wasnt trashing it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Most of the board gaming hobby are happy to play betrayal.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Control Volume posted:

Wild, I didnt know there was anyone online talking about betrayal that wasnt trashing it

Messed up as it is, they let other people than us talk about boardgames online.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Messed up as it is, they let other people than us talk about boardgames online.

no. NO

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Betrayal Legacy is pretty okay? The balance is still extremely wonky, and once the legacy campaign was over, I had no particular urge to go back for standard games, but I didn't begrudge my time spent playing it at the end.

Edit: Though looking behind the curtain early was a bad idea, because that revealed pretty definitively that it does the Telltale thing where your choices only change little things along the way in what's generally a very linear narrative. Still, if you wanna play Betrayal, and can see yourself getting about a dozen games of it in with a steady group of 3-5...

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 7, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive heard the Betrayal games from Baldurs Gate onwards are way less bumpy than the original but Im so ruined on the concept that I could never bring myself to try them

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd say the big problem with Betrayal Legacy is that the attempts at balancing scenarios for different player counts rarely actually do much except require you to get a different number of doodads, which does not even remotely measure up to the dramatic difference in action economy. With five, the traitor got absolutely dunked more often than not, and I imagine the opposite would be true with three.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

going through the contents hopefully no red flags pop up...

...oh there it is lol

That's an amazing find. I would love to sit down with whoever felt 40k needed more bondage gear and nazi imagery.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Playing a solo game of War of Ring (FFG first edition) and it kinda feels like the best experience you can get out of that over chromed mid 00's design. It does a really good job of cramming everything in, being a good representation of the theme and still being a playable game with meaningful decisions.

Might have to crack out the original Android for the *worst* example in that genre...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Playing a solo game of War of Ring (FFG first edition) and it kinda feels like the best experience you can get out of that over chromed mid 00's design. It does a really good job of cramming everything in, being a good representation of the theme and still being a playable game with meaningful decisions.

Might have to crack out the original Android for the *worst* example in that genre...
I've recently been playing a fair bit of WotR (though 2nd edition), and I agree. It reminds me of the BSG board game, in that some of the depth almost feels accidental?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Betrayal is a bad game that I've had a lot of fun playing, numerous times.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

armorer posted:

Betrayal is a bad game that I've had a lot of fun playing, numerous times.

:same:

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Betrayal Legacy kinda ruined regular Betrayal for me. Not because it's better, but because playing a lot of Betrayal over a few months really makes you not want to play Betrayal anymore.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Not emptyquoting. The pre-Haunt part is pretty much just wandering around with literally no goal aside from buffing your stats, the Haunts are all broken and confusing in one way or another, but drat if I won't say yes next time my buddy asks me to play with him.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Betrayal is a fun activity.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Betrayal is goofy fun. Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. Sometimes the house turns into a monster and eats me on the first turn before I take a single action. But something always happens!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The thread looks down on Betrayal because it it exceptionally random, to the point where the haunt reveal often results in very lopsided game just from the random scenario selection. But if you want to hang with friends with a game where something is happening, it's still fun. Not every game needs the have player choices matter. Sometimes you want the house to turn into a monster that eats you on the first turn before you take a single action.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Betrayal is fun if you go in expecting player skill to matter for nothing, your character can just die completely outside of your control, and that you're just creating a possibly stupid story. I just play as if I'm controlling one character in the shared story, so I'm fine with dumb things happening.

But it's not a good game.

As far as Tom's Three Cup System, I've only played Aurelian, but it was pretty recently!

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1349222214151901194

Basically, there are four groups that are typically mad at you, plus barbarians who are always mad at you. One cup is 'Friendly', one cup is 'Neutral', one cup is 'Hostile'. If the group hates you, their chits go back into the hostile cup. If a group likes you, their chits go back into the Friendly cup. Halfway, and they go in the Neutral cup.

As you take actions, chits usually migrate Friendly->Neutral->Hostile. There's a few actions that take you back upstream, but they're expensive.

After you take an action, there's a reaction, where you pull one or two chits from the Hostile cup, and depending on what they are, different things happen. Usually armies appear on the board, or barbarians attack, or possibly the turn just ends.

So, if you build a temple in a faction's area, then they'll like you, and their removed pieces go into the Friendly cup. Which means they're unlikely to pop up in reaction to an action, at least for awhile, and when they do, it won't be in great numbers. Their area is basically pacified, though there's a slim chance they'll rise up still. It's the factions that go directly to the Hostile cup that you will have to deal with frequently, as you'll pull reactions directly from their pool.

It's a neat system! This was also my first actual solo game I played.

Edit: Copying and pasting this into my notes for BGG for this game I GUESS.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 8, 2021

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Selecta84 posted:

Any opinions on these games?

Agricola-Master of Brtitain

Charlemagne-Master of Europe

Aurelian-Restorer of the World

There is an offer in a local marketplace and I am kinda curious.

Charlemagne is quite fun, it's the only one I've played, but it was my first solo game and made me realize that solo boardgames aren't something I'm gonna turn too all that much.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not totally sure I'm getting it.

If you do take an action that makes someone friendlier, do you dig through the Hostile bag for their tokens and move them to the Friendly bag? Or are you just adding chits to the Friendly bag without changing any of the others?

Or does it not affect the current makeup of the bags at all, and instead just changes where you put chits after drawing them? (So if there are currently 5 chits from that faction in the Hostile bag, they're still going to be there for you to deal with, but after you draw them it'll take longer for them to get back there)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jabor posted:

I'm not totally sure I'm getting it.

If you do take an action that makes someone friendlier, do you dig through the Hostile bag for their tokens and move them to the Friendly bag? Or are you just adding chits to the Friendly bag without changing any of the others?

Or does it not affect the current makeup of the bags at all, and instead just changes where you put chits after drawing them? (So if there are currently 5 chits from that faction in the Hostile bag, they're still going to be there for you to deal with, but after you draw them it'll take longer for them to get back there)

The actions that make people happier are still blind draws from Neutral->Friendly. No idea who you're making happier. You're just forcing something upstream from messing with you.

But for things like temples (make people happier) and having an active uprising (makes people angrier), it controls where their chits return to at the end of the round. Chits wiped out or otherwise removed during a round are set aside in a dead pool, and their faction status (temple'd/uprising/neither) determines which cup their chits go back to (friendly/hostile/neutral).

Edit: So, you wipe out what little resistance there is in a place with a temple, or they just give up and wander off on their own due to the temple, and those pieces will go back to the friendly cup. All of those chits you wiped out in battle against their uprising? And they still have a usurper? They're all going back into the hostile cup, ready to jump back on the table.

The end game can be a little wack-a-mole-y if there's only one angry faction, as you smack them down in one round, and they start popping back up the next. There's some ways to mitigate it, but it's very luck driven still.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Not every game needs the have player choices matter.

Yeah, like when instead of a board it's just this colorless, odorless gas, and instead of players there are just homeowners who have this in their basement, and instead of there being choices it's literally just toxic to humans but then it's like NICE GAME, rear end in a top hat, WHO DESIGNED THIS.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ravendas posted:

The actions that make people happier are still blind draws from Neutral->Friendly. No idea who you're making happier. You're just forcing something upstream from messing with you.

But for things like temples (make people happier) and having an active uprising (makes people angrier), it controls where their chits return to at the end of the round. Chits wiped out or otherwise removed during a round are set aside in a dead pool, and their faction status (temple'd/uprising/neither) determines which cup their chits go back to (friendly/hostile/neutral).

Edit: So, you wipe out what little resistance there is in a place with a temple, or they just give up and wander off on their own due to the temple, and those pieces will go back to the friendly cup. All of those chits you wiped out in battle against their uprising? And they still have a usurper? They're all going back into the hostile cup, ready to jump back on the table.

The end game can be a little wack-a-mole-y if there's only one angry faction, as you smack them down in one round, and they start popping back up the next. There's some ways to mitigate it, but it's very luck driven still.

So the end goal is to get the Hostile bag empty? Or is that not really feasible, and you're only influencing the makeup of that bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Yes!
My friend and I have been playing it and we're almost done with our first playthrough. We've also played the first two scenarios with a group of five where three people didn't have much boardgame experience. Game was pretty easy to teach which helped contribute to their enjoyment.
We're both fans of games like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics (which this game is inspired by). The meat of the game is all around building your characters and it is really fun to mix and match classes to get really fun builds. Besides giving you new abilities on level ups in new classes, the classes also modify your basic attacks and movement. Customization is the name of the game and there's plenty of it going on.
The game itself plays surprisingly fast as the rules are pretty simple and tight. Every scenario is pretty much a boss battle with unique mechanics and the boss deck dictates what the boss and their minions do every turn. I like how the players get to decide which character is targeted when a boss action would have multiple eligible targets.
I feel the game does get a bit easier as you progress through the story, which isn't particulary bad if you enjoy the feeling of getting stronger like in videogames.
Besides the first tutorial scenario, the first few scenarios can be pretty challenging. We even lost two of them, but those set you on another route. There's no real game over besides failing the first scenario, which pretty much tells you to just replay it.

And some of my grievances with the game.
The game takes a surprising amount of space on the table and the playerboards are warped, which causes them to easily spin around. Supposedly that will be fixed in the next production run. I couldn't get them to flatten even with some heavy books.

Sweet thank you. Convinced me to trade my Frosthaven pledge for a KS version of it.